Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I think it was Steen who once tweeted that wrestlers who want honest criticism for their work should search Twitter for their name - not their handle - and just read what people are saying. Elgin's a nerd. You're a nerd Mike.

Austin Aries follows this philosophy closely. Or he's a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah but what Jake is doing is harmless. I also got a ticket to the RR and it would be cool to see Jake come out, DDT someone and get eliminated.

Jake is in no shape to enter any kind of battle royale match

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Some Other Guy posted:

Jake is in no shape to enter any kind of battle royale match

What's this based on exactly? Mabel/Viscera has been in Royal Rumbles and he's a drat sight less mobile than Jake is now. Last year, Jake was absolutely in no shape for it, but that doesn't seem to apply now. It's not like he's going sixty minutes. It'll be one bump, a DDT, and then he's out most likely.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Keep Jake the gently caress away from wrestling and wrestlers that aren't DDP and crew.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

What's this based on exactly? Mabel/Viscera has been in Royal Rumbles and he's a drat sight less mobile than Jake is now. Last year, Jake was absolutely in no shape for it, but that doesn't seem to apply now. It's not like he's going sixty minutes. It'll be one bump, a DDT, and then he's out most likely.

Physically he is capable of walking into the ring, doing a move, and then getting thrown out, but he is still bent out of shape, over the hill, and sad. I don't think enough people care anymore and I don't think WWE would care anymore, but if they did put him in, it would just be another sad example of a wrestler way past his prime getting thrust into the spotlight one last time. It's not even that uplifting.

I like Jake the Snake but I'm fine never seeing him wrestle again.

edit: Here's why: http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/278725-video-jake-qthe-snakeq-roberts-wrestles-first-match-since-january-2011

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 24, 2013

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Some Other Guy posted:

Physically he is capable of walking into the ring, doing a move, and then getting thrown out, but he is still bent out of shape, over the hill, and sad. I don't think enough people care anymore and I don't think WWE would care anymore, but if they did put him in, it would just be another sad example of a wrestler way past his prime getting thrust into the spotlight one last time. It's not even that uplifting.

I like Jake the Snake but I'm fine never seeing him wrestle again.

edit: Here's why: http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/278725-video-jake-qthe-snakeq-roberts-wrestles-first-match-since-january-2011

That wasn't THAT bad. Put a shirt on him, have him hit a few DDTs then eliminate himself purposefully because he's smart and doesn't want to get mauled by Bray Wyatt or whatever.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You could be right, though, I am concerned about the future of this Zack Monstar kid.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It was a really bad Impact. Enough to make sure that my one week experiment will stay a one week experiment.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

bitter angry j.r. rules

Jim Ross ‏@JRsBBQ 9m
Scripted wrestling promos that are poorly delivered are embarrassing & encourage channel changing. Reinventing wheel=ego driven stupidity.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Ahhhh what happened to your avatar Deadpool! :stonk:

The Shaman of Cum posted:

bitter angry j.r. rules

Jim Ross ‏@JRsBBQ 9m
Scripted wrestling promos that are poorly delivered are embarrassing & encourage channel changing. Reinventing wheel=ego driven stupidity.
I would be bitter too especially if I was involved in the business for as long as he has.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I hope that JR continues on his steady path into openly criticising Pro Wrestling until he gets to the point of saying "AND VINCE MCMAHON CAN KISS MY SWEATY BARBECUE BALLS, UNFUNNY PRICK!"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The best revenge is living well. I hope JR enjoys not being continually humiliated on television and seeing all the people who "know how to book pro wrestling" continue to get low ratings and lovely buyrates.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Tato posted:

The best revenge is living well. I hope JR enjoys not being continually humiliated on television and seeing all the people who "know how to book pro wrestling" continue to get low ratings and lovely buyrates.

Is it gently caress. The best revenge is revenge.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

It's funny that even in the short amount of time he's been gone, he keeps getting snarkier and snarkier by the week (it's great). I know his book won't be a "shoot on and bury everyone" type book, but given how he seems to be openly criticizing WWE more and more lately I'd be shocked if he didn't bring up some of the Vince bullshit.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Any idea if he was talking about a specific promo?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Posted this in the Hell in a Cell thread too, but I love it:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

StarkRavingMad posted:

Posted this in the Hell in a Cell thread too, but I love it:

I know it's not true (at least, I hope not), but it seems like a totally WWE move for the talent to find out that they're not having a match through Twitter.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
Ryback speaks out to the Pagoda:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bob Backlund dancing, Kane killing Miz and Big E killing Ambrose.

Now I can point out three things, I can hate the rest, so gently caress off Ryback.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
Be a star Ryback.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Ryback taking a page out of the Magnus guide to good public relations.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

VogeGandire posted:

Bob Backlund dancing, Kane killing Miz and Big E killing Ambrose.

Now I can point out three things, I can hate the rest, so gently caress off Ryback.

That's... not very positive.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sunsweet posted:

That's... not very positive.

Hating things just to spite a guy who is totally unaware of my existence makes my day a little brighter.

(But seriously though, that is like, the three standout things of the show. Other than that, it's just a wash of "eh, don't really care".)

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

VogeGandire posted:

Hating things just to spite a guy who is totally unaware of my existence makes my day a little brighter.

(But seriously though, that is like, the three standout things of the show. Other than that, it's just a wash of "eh, don't really care".)

The mixed tag match wasn't completely horrible and I really want to see a singles match with Summer Rae & Natalya now.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Quit being fat, voge.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
The Ryback is right, finding things that are good is a lot better than being angry all the time. Plus you're fat.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Bard Maddox posted:

The Ryback is right, finding things that are good is a lot better than being angry all the time. Plus you're fat.
"HAH?!"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Uh. Jake Roberts hasn't wrestled for a major wrestling company since like 1996. He has a laundry list of personal and health issues, and is the poster guy for people chewed up by the business. Why would you put him on TV?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Red posted:

Uh. Jake Roberts hasn't wrestled for a major wrestling company since like 1996. He has a laundry list of personal and health issues, and is the poster guy for people chewed up by the business. Why would you put him on TV?

Because he's put a massive effort into getting clean and back in shape, it would be a great markout moment for a lot of people, it would serve as the usual fun little nostalgia moment for the Rumble, it would only last a couple minutes, and it would give him a pretty cool sense of accomplishment?

I can understand this mentality for someone who hasn't been following his progress, but come on, otherwise his Rumble spot would be like, JTG or Curt Hawkins.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Yeah, but still, it's Jake Roberts. I think the progress he's made has been great, but that doesn't erase his entire history or make it any less likely that he might relapse in the future. I would love to see Jake in the rumble, but I also understand why a publicly traded, TV-PG company would not want to put someone in the Royal Rumble who can also be seen smoking crack in a documentary freely available on Netflix.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'd much rather have Jake do cameo promos and stuff like that. Problem is, his longform style doesn't really fit in with WWE's modern YOU GOTTA HAVE A CATCHPHRASE FOR THE MERCH poo poo tho.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

coconono posted:

I'd much rather have Jake do cameo promos and stuff like that. Problem is, his longform style doesn't really fit in with WWE's modern YOU GOTTA HAVE A CATCHPHRASE FOR THE MERCH poo poo tho.

Yeah, if he done the Muck of Avarice promo these days, he'd just get "WHAT"-d then Lawler would bury him on commentary.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Michael Cole would just call him a nerd and that would be the last we see of Jake.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, if he done the Muck of Avarice promo these days, he'd just get "WHAT"-d then Lawler would bury him on commentary.

Or Lawler would try to pour booze down his mouth again.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tato posted:

Yeah, but still, it's Jake Roberts. I think the progress he's made has been great, but that doesn't erase his entire history or make it any less likely that he might relapse in the future. I would love to see Jake in the rumble, but I also understand why a publicly traded, TV-PG company would not want to put someone in the Royal Rumble who can also be seen smoking crack in a documentary freely available on Netflix.

To be fair, that documentary was from 1999, is rated R, and they were shilling Jeff Hardy for several months after he left and got a drug arrest well into the PG era.

Look, nobody's saying Jake should go in for a return run. They're saying he should get a Rumble slot akin to Piper/Snuka in 2008. And gently caress, if Snuka can get in...

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

it'd be the perfect ending to ddp's money grab documentary :) The patron saint of exploitation :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Jake would probably not get much of a pop as a surprise guy becuase nobody in the whole world has ever recognized his music, let alone 17 years after his last appearance.