Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ouch. VDI's a win, then. Why do they allow BYOD without forcing them into enterprise compliance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Because someone read that BYOD means people can use poo poo laptops that are cheap and then stopped reading.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Ouch. VDI's a win, then. Why do they allow BYOD without forcing them into enterprise compliance?

Because it would cost money, and inconvenience some special flowers. :shrug:

Caged posted:

Because someone read that BYOD means people can use poo poo laptops that are cheap and then stopped reading.

The cloud protects us from basic security policies. I know because :cloud:

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 27, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Kyrosiris posted:

That's not how progressive taxation works.
Viewing the situation only in terms of income taxation is a short-sighted and narrow view of the problem. A good CPA would backhand you for that.

Some other taxes and many subsidies are not progressive but are levied based on your gross annual income. For example, the American Opportunity Credit (Hope credit) is available to individuals earning $80,000 or less or married couples earning $160,000 or less, and can provide up to $2,500 in tax writeoffs. So if you're going from $80,000 to $80,001 and you have a college-aged child, you may have lost $2,499 per year.

In most cases, I don't think it's worth worrying about. If you're right at the border of one of those cutoffs and your raise is so low that it doesn't cover that difference, you may have bigger problems. But your current base salary is your biggest bartering chip when negotiating new salaries with new employers, so it's silly in the long run not to run it up as high as you can even if it costs you for a year or two.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 27, 2013

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Kyrosiris posted:

That's not how progressive taxation works.

See above, sometimes it is.

Capital Gains/Qualified dividends is another one. If I hit the next tax bracket, my capital gains goes from 0% to 15% on ALL capital gains. The income cut off for the 15% tax bracket is $36,250. So, pretend this is you Adjusted Gross Income (AGI; income after deductions and credits), and $1000 of that is Capital gains or qualified dividends. At $36,250 AGI you pay $0 on taxes on that $1000. At $36,251 AGI, you pay $150 in taxes.

I didn't realize this when I switched jobs and cashed out my vacation from my old job and my owed taxes about doubled.

Progressive taxation is not as straight forward as you might think. Please consults a qualified tax professional, etc.

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 27, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

HalloKitty posted:

In a progressive taxation system, once you go over a "threshold", money earned above that point is taxed at the higher rate.

The money below that threshold is taxed at the original rate.

It's pretty basic stuff. Having ALL your money taxed at a higher rate just because you earnt more would be ridiculous.

While this statement is theoretically correct, in practice the taxes you pay annually are a result of an assumed annual income based on the total that you're making that week, IE if you make $1000 per week, taxes will be generally taken out at (taxes on 52k)/(paychecks in a year) and you should be left with a balance of 0 +/- deductions, credits, fines, etc. In practice, systems can have problems if they base estimation on things like a rolling 5 paycheck average or some other system, or if you're normally exempt and would lose nothing to taxes and the OT pushes you over the exemption thus causing the entire check to be taxed at cost. Entirely dependent on the way that the taxes are calculated, which is up to the payroll processor because the only legal mandate is that you get relatively close to it quarterly, method of calculation is left to the processor.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Every time I read about BYOD in this thread, I imagine the thread having a blue background, font set to comic sans and an animated gif of a cat in a hammock dangling from the top of the page.

I just wish the approach to BYOD was the same as Lowtax's approach to that forum.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Lum posted:

I just wish the approach to BYOD was the same as Lowtax's approach to that forum.

To lovingly foster it for around 4 years before finally pulling the plug?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

demonachizer posted:

To lovingly foster it for around 4 years before finally pulling the plug?

I was thinking more of realising that it was a poo poo idea and getting rid, but ok I guess. BYOD has been around a few years now hasn't it?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Lum posted:

I was thinking more of realising that it was a poo poo idea and getting rid, but ok I guess. BYOD has been around a few years now hasn't it?
BYOD has been around pretty much forever if you count consultants and all othet on-sites who don't get assigned computers by the companies they're contracting with.

As more and more software moves to the web, BYOD has less and less impact. Might as well let users bring the UI experience they're comfortable with.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
- Guy sends a mass email whinging about problems with the datasheet system that he's not actually informed me about (mostly incorrect data that I was given to feed it with)
- I fix them and reply-all to cover my arse (politely mentioning also that I need to be informed of any issues / data updates, and that basically, garbage in = garbage out)
- He does another reply-all to tell me to stop using reply-all, and to not fix anything else until the next meeting (basically because if I fix too many things, he won't have as much ammunition)

gently caress you, guy.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hacked VoIP accounts :-(

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
poo poo that does not piss me off: Wireless mice left in conference rooms. If I see them lying there for a week and nobody takes them, they are MINE!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Technogeek posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was explained that way; tax brackets are surprisingly poorly understood by the general population.

http://www.taxact.com/tools/tax-bracket-calculator.asp

This will allow you to gently caress around with the numbers and you'll see exactly what will happen when you get into a new tax bracket.

http://www.irs.com/articles/how-determine-your-income-tax-bracket is a decent wall of text about it.

TL;DR: if you make $85,651, your first $8700 gets taxed at 10%. Your income between $8700 and $35,350 gets taxed at 15%, your income between $35,350 and $85,650 gets taxed at 25%. The whole one dollar left gets taxed at 28%, for an effective tax rate of around 20% (assuming the standard deduction of course.)

That one dollar does not change your EFFECTIVE tax rate, even though you are one dollar above the 28% tax bracket.

99% of people that bitch about income taxes do not understand how this works. If you play with the TaxAct calculator, the real number to pay attention to is "Tax as percent of income" as that's your effective tax rate.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

nitrogen posted:

[

99% of people that bitch about income taxes do not understand how this works.

This is kind of the key here, there are edge cases, but it's unlikely the original poster is one of them. I wonder how many people take a Wendys gift card in exchange for overtime for this reason and consider it beating the system.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

sanchez posted:

This is kind of the key here, there are edge cases, but it's unlikely the original poster is one of them. I wonder how many people take a Wendys gift card in exchange for overtime for this reason and consider it beating the system.

Getting paid in Wendy's Frosties is an acceptable form of payment as far as I care :colbert:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

sanchez posted:

I am pretty sure that is tax evasion on both the company's and individual's part.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

demonachizer posted:

I am pretty sure that is tax evasion on both the company's and individual's part.

I think a pretzel bun will keep you quiet :)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

thebigcow posted:

I think a pretzel bun will keep you quiet :)

Talk about overrated. Pretzel buns were never good.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

Not all pretzel buns are created equal, this is true. But some are quite tasty.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Sickening posted:

Why are you a bad person :(

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

Someone's been eating at lovely pubs and not great German restaurants.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sickening posted:

Ruby Tuesday has a good one :(

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Someone wanted to make coffee when they showed up, and they cleaned out the coffee pot and the basket. I think he lost a part for the basket, because it wasn't pouring into the pot. Now there's a huge mess and coffee in the reservoir. I unplugged the coffee maker since it's sitting near me, but didn't have a chance to do anything with it. He came by after I unplugged it, looked at it, and walked off. He didn't come back.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
:yotj: Just finished the background check paperwork for a new job. Time to get out of this hell that is a "major cloud services provider".

poo poo that pisses me off: Crisis management. I don't mean managing crises poorly, I mean managers that create a crisis to get ANYTHING done. Everything is SEV A AFFECTING CUSTOMERS even if it's a font change on an internal web page that is used to report status.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Here's a bitch: IT users with access to the ticketing system that try to make their issue more important.

We have a priority matrix based on two factors: impact and urgency, both on a 1-3 scale. Impact level 1 is like a major Exchange outage, level 2 is a group or team impacted like their network share is rejecting their permissions, and level 3 is something like a single user can't log in to the VPN. Urgency is on a similar type of scale. Based on those two factors, your ticket gets a ranking of 1-4: 1 is only if both impact and urgency are 1's.

So mister IT jackass who thinks your VPN token being rejected constitutes a BUSINESS CRITICAL OUTAGE, go gently caress yourself. Watch me joyfully knock your ticket down to a 4 while I kick it back to the service desk because I'm not the loving solver group.

Edit: Important to note that non-IT users can't change priorities.

wintermuteCF fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 28, 2013

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

anthonypants posted:

Someone wanted to make coffee when they showed up, and they cleaned out the coffee pot and the basket. I think he lost a part for the basket, because it wasn't pouring into the pot. Now there's a huge mess and coffee in the reservoir. I unplugged the coffee maker since it's sitting near me, but didn't have a chance to do anything with it. He came by after I unplugged it, looked at it, and walked off. He didn't come back.

I remember a ticket that got sent in one time when I did internal desktop support for a TWC call center - the user was complaining about the coffee machine not working and was told to get IT to fix it since "it plugs into an electrical outlet". Apparently management was of the thinking that anything that ran on electricity was the domain of IT, and therefore IT was responsible for fixing it. Just to be a dick I replied back to the ticket with my boss's full approval asking for manufacturer, asset tag, model number, and operating system. We got a sheepish reply back that we could close the ticket.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Urit posted:

:yotj: Just finished the background check paperwork for a new job. Time to get out of this hell that is a "major cloud services provider".

That industry seems to be poo poo no matter where it is. When I was at Amazon I spent my first week wondering why both the IT and DevOps guys seemed so angry all the time. Then one day the power went out in Virginia (gently caress Virginia), AWS stopped working for 4 hours (in the middle of the night, of course), and everyone worked half a month of 12s to keep the world from burning down. I understood, all of a sudden.

Congrats on getting the gently caress out of your particular hellhole! Best of luck in your :yotj:.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

SolTerrasa posted:

That industry seems to be poo poo no matter where it is. When I was at Amazon I spent my first week wondering why both the IT and DevOps guys seemed so angry all the time. Then one day the power went out in Virginia (gently caress Virginia), AWS stopped working for 4 hours (in the middle of the night, of course), and everyone worked half a month of 12s to keep the world from burning down. I understood, all of a sudden.

Congrats on getting the gently caress out of your particular hellhole! Best of luck in your :yotj:.

Thanks! I hope it works out too! I've been in the Microsoft ecosystem (either MS vendor or some sort of MS partner) for the last 6 years, and the new job is for a high-end retail clothing company, so it'll definitely be a culture shock. I know exactly what you mean about the world burning. And yeah, I'm going to be DevOops at the new job - time to figure out how to explain (again) to multiple managers (who will hopefully listen this time, since it's one of the reasons they're hiring me) that no, you can't just throw "agile" at the problem and have a magical unicorn operations team who can develop code, work incidents, and also commit to timelines while having unexpected work come in daily. I could probably write a 4-page rant about "DevOps" and what it really means vs. what most managers think when they hear it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Time Warner just shot up to #1 on my Most Hated list.

45 minutes on hold to speak to a tech about a modem issue.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Urit posted:

Thanks! I hope it works out too! I've been in the Microsoft ecosystem (either MS vendor or some sort of MS partner) for the last 6 years, and the new job is for a high-end retail clothing company, so it'll definitely be a culture shock. I know exactly what you mean about the world burning. And yeah, I'm going to be DevOops at the new job - time to figure out how to explain (again) to multiple managers (who will hopefully listen this time, since it's one of the reasons they're hiring me) that no, you can't just throw "agile" at the problem and have a magical unicorn operations team who can develop code, work incidents, and also commit to timelines while having unexpected work come in daily. I could probably write a 4-page rant about "DevOps" and what it really means vs. what most managers think when they hear it.

That wouldn't happen to be the high-end clothing store whose headquarters are just a bit west of MS, would it? I had several former co-workers land there after the shop we were at shuttered a few years ago, they seem pretty happy there. I think they're mostly in QA and release management though, not sure I know anyone in operations.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Ah the pitfalls of sticking to a dirt cheap good-for-nothing antivirus for so long where the application hasn't been updated for over 2 years (took long enough to get a Windows 7 compatible version) and is threatening to disappear altogether. Now the boss has *finally* seen the light and stopped worshipping this crappy AV and is proposing to switch to another. But the problem is, the total annual cost for the lovely one is £200 and the total cost for every other in the world is ~£1000.

This of course led to a quick discussion with our line director, the finance guy. (Same one who refused to give me a rise after 5 years service, adoption of various additional projects and a glowing performance review). Who was horrified at the idea of a 5x increase in cost and says no, let's wait it out and see if something "presents itself".

Then he asked about the feasibility of pirating one :eng99:

I know we're in financial difficulties, but geez. Still, this is the guy who is paid about 3-4x what I am, but borrows IT's ~10 year old digital camera every weekend because he's too tight fisted to buy his own.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 29, 2013

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Daylen Drazzi posted:

get IT to fix it since "it plugs into an electrical outlet"

I once got an urgent "something's wrong, you need to get over here right now!" call from this woman that was a little off her rocker. Getting nowhere with her on the phone I walked over to the building she worked in across the road and found out that her issue was that her battery powered desk fountain stopped working. It might have been out of batteries, I dunno. I just asked if she was serious, and then left to go on lunch.

Vaccuss
Jul 1, 2012
gently caress Google's documentation for AppEngine and BigQuery.

I am admittedly (very) new to the world of development and Google services. However from my limited experiences it seems as if their documentation makes out that everything should be simple and should work well, but it seems to me that they consistently leave out one or two things that would make the explanation of what they god drat mean actually make sense.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Vaccuss posted:

gently caress Google's documentation for AppEngine and BigQuery.

I am admittedly (very) new to the world of development and Google services. However from my limited experiences it seems as if their documentation makes out that everything should be simple and should work well, but it seems to me that they consistently leave out one or two things that would make the explanation of what they god drat mean actually make sense.

Good luck trying to send in a bug regarding one of their services - trying to send in an issue about Spreadsheet got me wondering how can they not have any real bug reporting system. I'm still puzzled on why did I leave all the data on a forum and what will be done about it. Seeing another person submitting similar bug a year ago didn't fill me with confidence.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I once got an urgent "something's wrong, you need to get over here right now!" call from this woman that was a little off her rocker. Getting nowhere with her on the phone I walked over to the building she worked in across the road and found out that her issue was that her battery powered desk fountain stopped working. It might have been out of batteries, I dunno. I just asked if she was serious, and then left to go on lunch.

People try to get me to fix their POTS phones all the time. I flip it over, make sure the cable is plugged in and tell them that's all I can do.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm out of work sick with the flu for two days.
I come back in this morning and there's a laptop on my desk with a guy's name and phone number on it - no other info at all.
Before I can even get logged in and check on my tickets, I get a phone call - "hey this is $USER from $DEPARTMENT, I dropped my laptop off there a couple days ago, is it ready yet?"
Uhhh... well, let's start from the beginning, sir, somehow it got placed on my desk even though I haven't even been here, and could we start with: what seems to be the problem?

Turns out the hard drive died, and he'll have to wait a day or two more for the new one to come in and get set up since I'm just now calling Panasonic support. And as per usual, I'm sure I'll get dinged for it taking so long. Heaven forbid another team member pull a little extra slack when someone is out with the flu. Seriously, a 5 minute diagnostic check and a 5 minute call to Panasonic is all it took. Instead it sat on my desk for 48 hours.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

GargleBlaster posted:

Ah the pitfalls of sticking to a dirt cheap good-for-nothing antivirus for so long where the application hasn't been updated for over 2 years (took long enough to get a Windows 7 compatible version) and is threatening to disappear altogether. Now the boss has *finally* seen the light and stopped worshipping this crappy AV and is proposing to switch to another. But the problem is, the total annual cost for the lovely one is £200 and the total cost for every other in the world is ~£1000.

This of course led to a quick discussion with our line director, the finance guy. (Same one who refused to give me a rise after 5 years service, adoption of various additional projects and a glowing performance review). Who was horrified at the idea of a 5x increase in cost and says no, let's wait it out and see if something "presents itself".

Then he asked about the feasibility of pirating one :eng99:

I know we're in financial difficulties, but geez. Still, this is the guy who is paid about 3-4x what I am, but borrows IT's ~10 year old digital camera every weekend because he's too tight fisted to buy his own.

This is a YOTJ if I've heard of one. Seriously. If they are too cheap to a) give you a raise and b) buy decent anti-virus, you need to bail.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

QPZIL posted:

Turns out the hard drive died, and he'll have to wait a day or two more for the new one to come in and get set up since I'm just now calling Panasonic support.

Panasonic laptop? Where the gently caress do you live?

Broken HD = drive over to best Buy, buy a HD/SSD, take a long lunch, come back and re-install Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Got a call from a headhunter yesterday wanting to put me in a helpdesk position at an area bank. The pay is better and it's less than a mile from my house, but I'd be going from a full time salaried position to a contract. The guy assures me that this thing will be going for a year or so and they hire people all the time but I think I've heard this too many times to trust. I may go to the interview and hear it from the horses mouth before I give up though.