Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I finally got to play this game, pretty good but drat if the bugs aren't getting annoying. I'm on a 360 and the game suddenly freezes for no reason when I'm exploring the city or a message of 'corrupted DLC' pops up and boot me to the dashboard thing is, I don't have any DLC.

Outside of that I'm loving the story and specially the crime scene sequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Just got the Industrial District AR Training done in City. gently caress that. That is loving terrible. Just have one more, then I'll be down to finishing up the riddles. Saved the last hostage, now I need to find the Riddler.

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
Did I miss a sidequest or something or does Calendar Man just not show up again after the first mission? There's a door down near the waterline with a datapack I can't open, and I don't know if I just missed something similar to how Shiva's missions are started.

If not I guess he'll be the subject of some DLC down the line?

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

washow posted:

Hmm maybe I should upgrade my 560ti

If you do keep your 560 as a dedicated pyhsx card.

I kept my 570 in the box alongside the 680 - the few pyhsx games that come around look amazing.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oh for fucks' sake.

Where in the holy hell do I do the explosive gel takedown? Its for the fifth worst nightmare challenge. The internets seem to report that there's a place in the bank... which I just cleared about an hour ago.

To make it even "better" I finally finished one of the VR gliding challenges, the game autosaved and I turned the game off. Come back to play and although the game saved my progress and gave me the upgrade, the friggin icon is still on the map. I fly over there and the mission is nowhere to be seen, but now the icon is just awkwardly on the map for no drat reason.

The bugs, dear lord, the bugs.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

^^^^You put the gel on a destructible wall and detonate it when there is a dude on the opposite side of the wall.

numptyboy posted:

If you do keep your 560 as a dedicated pyhsx card.

I kept my 570 in the box alongside the 680 - the few pyhsx games that come around look amazing.

Is that a thing you can do now? I thought SLI required both cards to be the same make and model.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

washow posted:

Hmm maybe I should upgrade my 560ti

Should be noted that I'm using a 560ti and I can still run the game between 50-60 FPS with everything turned up except dynamic shadows in DX 11 mode (and I honestly cannot tell the difference with that setting). This includes PhysX on high. You don't need to upgrade just yet.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The game says I'm at 90% done on the plot of Origins (even though it feels like barely anything has really happened yet), and I'm really starting to wonder why I see so many people raving about the plot.

Am I the only one who's sick of The Joker? Not only does it turn out that Joker is behind the whole thing, but the assassin plot is relegated to half-assed side quests outside of Bane and Deathstroke. I guess Copperhead got her fight into a plot mission, but you could've dropped her and the rest of the "SUPER DEADLY ASSASSINS" and next to nothing would've changed. The Black Mask plot could've gone somewhere interesting, but nope, turns out it was just The Joker with a bunch of bombs. Oh, and he's already murdered dozens of people before you ever got there. Great job, Batman.

Riddler's there, kind of. He talks to you when you take out the Templar towers, but instead any cute little riddles or neat puzzle rooms, you just spend time picking up big glowing VHS tapes, because actually thought the Riddler Trophies were the best part of his subplots somehow. Calender Man shows up for absolutely no reason, gets no lines, then disappears forever. I don't know why they included Croc in the assassin list since he had a plot reason to show up without them, and the assassin plot is completely meaningless.

I thought the Electrocutioner thing was pretty funny. Until I fought Shiva, and then I realized all the assassins were jokes, the game just didn't expect me to notice. Deadshot is already too much of a chump for me to give him a second thought, and then it turns out his fight is just reskinned Two-Face. Shiva is just an ninja with a health bar. Bane is just Bane, and although his fight was more fun than Asylum's million Banes, it was still basically the same thing. Copperhead feels like a much better opportunity for a Scarecrow sequence than the bug-riddled mess The Hatter's poo poo is, but she's ultimately just another fight with a bunch of enemies. Croc is a glorified tutorial, and Firefly has had so little screen time that when he showed up in the hotel cutscene, I didn't realize who the gently caress he was supposed to be until like ten minutes later. Everyone keeps going on about "all those crazy assassins gunning for Batman", but they've had less impact on the story than Clark loving Kent.

After Deathstroke, I was really pumped. The fight was intense, the victory was satisfying, and the events leading up to it had been entertaining. I was actually starting to think that I'd be fighting for my life against a gang of bloodthirsty bad-asses while also trying to solve a mystery. Instead, I solve the mystery an hour later and I only have to worry about the assassins if I go to them.

Instead of Black Mask gunning for Batman for some unknown reason, it's just the Joker, and he's gonna blow up a bunch of stuff because why not? He's the Joker. And you have to look at hallway after hallway filled with corpses of innocent people that he killed before you confront him because body count is all that matters in a villain, right? People play Batman games to feel like useless failures, right? Finally, Bane shows up, and you fight him until the cops show up. Then, Bane's men blow up the cops but Bane still runs away despite the fact that he's winning because the spotlight has left Joker for almost 5 minutes now, and we can't have that.

The Black Gate joker sequence is kinda cool, but ultimately you're just walking down a hallway while Troy Baker paraphrases the "One Bad Day" speech. And then Harley falls in love him with after listening to him talk for five minutes because gently caress character development, everyone is how the fans remember them right the gently caress away.

I decided to take a break for the plot now that I have all the gadgets and collect Riddler poo poo, but the audio files you unlock are only pissing me off even more. Everyone except Gordon is corrupt. Everyone. And not even just a little corrupt, like full-on cartoon villainy corrupt. The Commissioner who dies at the start? Corrupt. The prison warden we meet for two seconds? Whoa, mad corrupt. A judge who never even shows up? Holey moley, he is so corrupt. Even Harleen loving Quinzel? Guess what, she works for Hugo Strange and threatens mobsters for a living. Ra's Al Ghul is apparently the one who had Arkham reopened, because nothing can happen in Gotham unless a bad guy did it.

Everything is lovely and terrible, and everyone who tries to improve things fails. Gordon, Barbara, even Bruce. Every victory has been Pyrrhic, and everyone is quick to remind me that none of the villains I beat will be gone for long. That may be fine for some people, but I don't play superhero games to be reminded of the futility of human existence. I play superhero games to punch bad guys, save the day, and be a goddamn superhero.

Asylum and City were bright and colorful in their own weird way. There was an air of optimism, this sense that, when the sun rises, everything will be alright because Batman can handle it. Origins just reeks of the same bleak nihilism that's driven me away from DC's comics and films. This game is more depressing than Spec Ops: The Line.

Unless the last ten percent of the plot has something as good as the Deathstroke fight was, I'm not sure if I'll even bother to finish it.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 28, 2013

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Veotax posted:

Is that a thing you can do now? I thought SLI required both cards to be the same make and model.

You wouldn't be physically bridging them in SLI mode, you'd just have the 560Ti running PhysX duty.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 28, 2013

Veotax
May 16, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You wouldn't be physically bridging them in SLI mode, you'd just have the 560Ti running PhysX duty.

Huh, guess I've just never looked this stuff up.

ropesnake
Oct 22, 2008

Crowetron posted:

Unless the last ten percent of the plot has something as good as the Deathstroke fight was, I'm not sure if I'll even bother to finish it.

I beat the game a few hours ago and I'd say the firefly segment is probably the best part about the game. However you pinpointed exactly why I found the game to be so depressing. Every time I turned the game off I was left with a really weird feeling and I wasn't sure why.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Batham posted:

The tessellated snow on the ground after a brawl is simply stunning. I can't believe my eyes on how realistic it looks.
Even on console this part is really amazing. I caught myself stalking an armored thug while doing a side-mission and was wondering how long he was going to stay on his path so I could sneak up on him....when I noticed the tracks in the snow he had been making going back and forth telling me his exact pattern he was taking. Thanks buddy! :3:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

GuyCastle posted:

3) This is the one that's driving me bonkers. In Burnley, East of the comms tower on the edge of the map, there's a stairway along the waterline leading up to a door. It's also the same location where you need to charge up a generator to unlock a data pack. Now, that door is locked, and I'm wondering if it's a result from what I described in question 1) or if it's somehow a DLC related thing no one is supposed to be able to open?

That's related to an unmarked side quest. Have you seen dedication plaques to Cyrus Pinknee around the city? Scan one of those in Detective Mode.

Falsey
Nov 21, 2010

The False Face mask scared younger viewers.
:anime: :pipe: :baby:
Yay for game breaking bugs just before the end of the game!

I'm at Blackgate. There's a bit where you need to use a remote batarang to charge a switch so that the water level rises, then you can make a platform and bust through the wall. The thing is, I charged the switch and it played the animation, but there's no water. I know I've done it right because I looked up a video just now. I tried reloading and now Batman keeps saying I need to charge the switch to raise the water but the drat button doesn't work to start the electricity. Anyone experienced this?

edit: found a solution. Despite the gate being closed and Batman constantly ranting about needing to raise the water, throwing a glue grenade spawned one in mid-air anyway.

Oh god he won't stop. He's still going on about it in the middle of a fight far beyond that section.

Falsey fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 28, 2013

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010

Falsey posted:

Yay for game breaking bugs just before the end of the game!

I'm at Blackgate. There's a bit where you need to use a remote batarang to charge a switch so that the water level rises, then you can make a platform and bust through the wall. The thing is, I charged the switch and it played the animation, but there's no water. I know I've done it right because I looked up a video just now. I tried reloading and now Batman keeps saying I need to charge the switch to raise the water but the drat button doesn't work to start the electricity. Anyone experienced this?

edit: found a solution. Despite the gate being closed and Batman constantly ranting about needing to raise the water, throwing a glue grenade spawned one in mid-air anyway.

Oh god he won't stop. He's still going on about it in the middle of a fight far beyond that section.

Oh god I came here to whine about this bug. I tried throwing glue grenades down into the water with no results.

Falsey
Nov 21, 2010

Aim around into the nothingness and hopefully there will be a sweet spot where the crosshair will change into the little glue icon.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Aphrodite posted:

You can't change your ID this time.

Yes, you can. But you have to do it from the website.

Falsey
Nov 21, 2010

Aaaaaand the game froze in the cutscene after the last boss. This game.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

For every thing this game does right, there's another example of something wigging out and making the experience far less enjoyable.

Among the glitches I've experienced on the ps3 in the last hour...
My control's flatout stopped working in the Mad Hatter section. Restart.
In the bank, the game hung up for about fifteen seconds at a cutscene.
Batman won't stop saying "I need the access code to unlock this door" every ten seconds while I'm in the steel mill. Despite, you know, finding the drat code.
The fast travel is janky as poo poo - often times with delayed sound or no sound at all. The best was when fast travel just didn't work - I thought it was a story related lock. Nope, turns out I just had to restart the game and voila, fast travel works again.

I can live with slightly less robust animations. But I've encountered bugs/glitches that require a checkpoint restart on multiple occasions, and the game has crashed on me four times.

WB Montreal, you guys have done some great work. Lots and lots of individual moments really do shine.

But christ in heaven, the glitches alone mean that there's no way I can give this an unqualified recommendation.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Thank god I'm going on holiday in a few days else I would have got this day one, I loved the past two batman games however the bugs in this one sound so frustrating I'll wait till this is in the bargin bin or they release a special edition with all the DLC and bugs fixed.

(I didn't say GOTY edition because from the sounds of it this won't get that)

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were pushed to get this out before the new consoles hit but what really concerns me is the people getting their saves corrupted or otherwise being forced to start a whole new game.

How do you release something with bugs that devastating? Anyone who loses their progress it'll be the only thing they remember about the game a year from now.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I've personally yet to fast travel (apart from to an fro the cave), I enjoy swinging about the city too much

Falsey
Nov 21, 2010

All bugs aside, I really enjoyed this. It's definitely the case that I feel like they can only get away with this once, in terms of fobbing off the development to another team, but the game fit perfectly into the end-of-console-generation groove. It's competent without throwing any major updates in, it retains the atmosphere of the first two while reusing some elements of both, and it actually beats out those games in terms of telling a good story. I liked the fact that the main storyline had maybe 4 villains involved in all the scheming and the rest of them were delegated their own little stories. City felt like a mess in that regard.

I can't wait to see what Rocksteady are working on. The dream is to one day be on the side of the river in the background that seems to actually be a functioning city.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I don't care if it'd be a Mature game, but I really want a game where you play from the perspective of Batman's *villains*, in particular the Joker, in uncensored glory. It'd be interesting to see what a game designer could do/get away with so we could see the world through his eyes. Maybe even include an "Emperor Joker" DLC.

Even playing Poison Ivy would be interesting, since she's really the only one in Batman's Rogue's Gallery that has bonafide super powers.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know if it is because I'm using a gamepad now for Origins, but I always struggled to get knife dodges/takedowns right in City (using KB/M) but now with the gamepad in Origins I feel like I have a ton of leeway to dodge and then hit the takedown.

When you see the counter icon, hold triangle. You don't need to do anything else, the first dodge is a freebie. After that, the camera should reorientate itself so all you have to do is hold down and press triangle two more times.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
It looks like, after only a couple of gamebreaking bugs, my PC copy of the game has apparently become corrupted and now won't boot. Even after verifying the cache and deinstalling/redownloading the game. Excellent.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Even playing Poison Ivy would be interesting, since she's really the only one in Batman's Rogue's Gallery that has bonafide super powers.

Don't just ignore Mr. Freeze like that. Sure, being able to survive at fifty below zero in your boxers may not be the most glamorous super power, but it's still a super power. And at least he isn't a fusion of a lingerie model and the Lorax.

Plus, y'know, Killer Croc, Man-Bat, Clayface, I can keep going, they're really not that rare.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

MorphineMike posted:

It looks like, after only a couple of gamebreaking bugs, my PC copy of the game has apparently become corrupted and now won't boot. Even after verifying the cache and deinstalling/redownloading the game. Excellent.

You could try deleting your save. That's really the only thing that could be affecting a redownload. You'd have to make sure to disable cloud save or Steam will just redownload it.

Also for anyone who wants to backup their save do a search for "spsave_v2_0.sgd".

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 28, 2013

Numbnuts
May 20, 2012
So do stun baton enemies actually show up ever? I'm 90% through the story according to the synopsis and I was only now reminded that they exist when I found the upgrade that lets me counter them without taking damage, the only time I even remember one showing up is when I fought (sidequest spoiler) Anarky

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010

RadicalWall posted:

You could try deleting your save. That's really the only thing that could be affecting a redownload. You'd have to make sure to disable cloud save or Steam will just redownload it.

Also for anyone who wants to backup their save do a search for "spsave_v2_0.sgd".

That was the fix, thanks. Not sure I can be bothered to redo the 10 hours of gameplay though.

e: and now there's massive stuttering even on the lowest settings, when I was running it on the highest perfectly beforehand? What the hell? If this were an issue with my pc, I'd expect to see issues elsewhere, but there's not, it's just this game!

MorphineMike fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 28, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The best part of the Mad Hatter section is when the physics glitch out when you're trying to pull yourself across the water and make it impassable until you turn off Physx. That and the unforgivable automatic camera movement. This game is clearly not intended to function as a sidescrolling platformer.

I dunno, the sidescroller parts in Asylum weren't bad, and I didn't hate the Hatter section as much as you guys apparently did. I would actually think a 2.5d budget game that used this engine would be pretty cool.

You're right in that PhysX is pretty hosed in this game though. I don't have an FPS counter on or anything but I'd say I get at least 60fps normally, but in a couple of the predator rooms it dips to like 2-3, it's just plain unplayable until I turned off PhysX and restarted the game.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

There, finished all the Riddler stuff, and with that, finished all the Most Wanted. The New 52 skin is pretty nice.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ImpAtom posted:

People keep saying this but I'm positive they're misremembering, doing something wrong, or there is a bug in the PC version, because I've had absolutely no problem with counters. I can record a video even if people want.

I feel the same way. I read a lot of this thread and then spent about 2 hours with the game yesterday and I can't find much wrong with it. It froze on me once and there is a little bit of "polish" or something lacking that I can't put my finger on but overall it's great and I'm really enjoying it. I haven't had any trouble countering at all so far and I haven't seen where they changed the controller layout like some have suggested. I'm playing on 360.

I'm not sure if most of the complaints are from people playing on a PC, those playing on hard or both. I always play on normal because I NEED the counter icons so maybe that's why I'm not having issues with the timing. Like the other games, the only time I have run into trouble with combat is when I need to remind myself to slow down a tad and be more deliberate.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

raditts posted:

I would actually think a 2.5d budget game that used this engine would be pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy1vDe7Tf_g

No idea how it is though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man I'm never going to get the unseen predator thing done.

Plus the challenges really seem to expect you to do them at certain story points, so if you don't you fall behind prime opportunities to do certain things.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 28, 2013

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't care if it'd be a Mature game, but I really want a game where you play from the perspective of Batman's *villains*, in particular the Joker, in uncensored glory. It'd be interesting to see what a game designer could do/get away with so we could see the world through his eyes. Maybe even include an "Emperor Joker" DLC.

Villain games are difficult because the villain of a story typically comes up with schemes and that's hard to realise in a gameplay format because games cant give you that much freedom. Who gives the Joker his missions? How would you realize a characters gameplay whose whole thing is how ridiculously convoluted his plans are?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Yes, it does. The end of the game has Batman and Gordon working through their differences in a really nice way, and becoming allies/friends. It's also where the best fights/sequences happen, and most of the plot payoff occurs.

I'd really encourage you to beat it, you've only got like 1-2 hours left.

As for the rest of what you said, what exactly were you expecting? This is the Batman mythos, already the most nihilistic of the superhero settings, during the beginning era when everything was darkest. All the old Loeb era stuff was fairly harsh, which gave it it's early appeal.

Even with that, it's not like there isn't a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. The events of Origins give Gordon enough leeway to fire the worst of the GCPD and replace them with his own officers. Brandon will eventually die, allowing Gordon to replace SWAT with something less thugish, Dent becomes emboldened by Batman/Gordon and becomes district attorney, and during his time he helps clear out the justice system of Gotham.

Hell, the two biggest people in Gotham at the time get crippled during the course of Origins Black Mask was always a "has been" crook in the later comics, but in the earlier years, basically owned Gotham through corruption. And Falcone was a huge pusher for corrupting people. Penguin takes Falcone out of the game on his own, while Batman/Joker take out Black Mask. None of the other crooks outside of maybe Penguin really care about buying cops, so that alone takes out a huge amount of corruption.

Yeah, I was a bit annoyed at that they turned it from Batman vs Black Mask to Batman vs Joker, but ultimately, I think they handled it very well. It brings it from just another night, to the origin story of the Joker, the origin story of Batman working with the cops, the origin story of the Gordon/Batman friendship, the origin story of Barbara/Batman, etc etc. It sets the stage for all future Batman stuff.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

Crowetron posted:

Asylum and City were bright and colorful in their own weird way. There was an air of optimism, this sense that, when the sun rises, everything will be alright because Batman can handle it. Origins just reeks of the same bleak nihilism that's driven me away from DC's comics and films. This game is more depressing than Spec Ops: The Line.

There's a wealth of games out there that give you sunshine and rainbows, I think the fact that the game makes you feel anything is an accomplishment. As far as the story goes, is it worthy of the great Russian writers of the 19th century? No, but it's more complex than AA's "Lunatics take over the asylum" and more coherent than AC's hodgepodge mess of villains appearing whack-a-mole style for Batman to beat down.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
So does the Season Pass come with ANY content "right out of the box".

By which I mainly mean costumes.

Yes, I will pay money for Batman costumes. Yes, I am ashamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I got the no fast travel thing too just after I unlocked the hatter mission. I assumed it was down to a specific thing that was going to happen to me during navigation across the city.

The only thing that happened was that Alfred called me to wish me a merry Christmas as i approached the bank/hatter shop, so it might not be a bug.

It's a bit lovely if that's why though. Fast travel deactivated just so you can hear one line of dialogue as you fly around the city?

edit: I just spotted the season pass too. I'm pretty tempted if it's more single player stuff. I might get it if they patch the PC issues.

Has there been any word on that from the developers about a patch? Even a "we're working on it" would be nice to hear.

Kin fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 28, 2013

• Locked thread