Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

radge posted:

The only good thing about Glasgow is the fact the weegies at least have the sense to die earlier than real people.

The only good thing about Edinburgh is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radge
Jan 21, 2005

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
A Fail of Two Cities

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Ah. Yes.

northward
Feb 21, 2006

ABERDEEN ARE AWESOME
fit like
:love:moray cup:love:
:love:sheep:love:

:love:haim:love:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Scotland looks really really poo poo

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
I'm loving this saucy Scottish banter. The jury is still out though, which one of the city sucks rear end the most?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I like both cities a lot, actually. Glasgow has its share of immensely ugly architecture but it's a good, vibrant place now. Edinburgh smells of spam and has some good restaurants. Hibs and Hearts are both shite.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

All the locals in Edinburgh told me I would get stabbed if I went to Glasgow

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I have been to Glasgow many times and have only been stabbed non-fatally.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

euroboy posted:

I would definitely have stabbed you

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Enough of this Scotland bashing. Visit Perth.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

euroboy posted:

People would say the same about napoli but at least in scotland it wouldn't smell so bad

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Ramagamma posted:

Never ever do this.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Visit South Ayrshire for beautiful scenery and a wide selection of golf courses

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Ramagamma posted:

Visit Perth.
That's Perth, Western Australia. The only Perth that evolution didn't bypass.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Come to Paisley, in a tank, so you can level the place. It's poo poo and bad. The Hibs of Scottish towns.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Her Dryer posted:

Come to Paisley, in a tank, so you can level the place. It's poo poo and bad. The Hibs of Scottish towns.

Paisley has the chivas regal distillery which looks cool but the rest is horrible

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Visit East Kilbride and get dizzy on our roundabouts

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Aberdeen's nice I hear, the shimmery city? This lady did a presentation on it and said it had loads of hills with an old town underneath or something (like Gotham or Futurama?) it sounded quite cool to be honest.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Haggis Heed posted:

Visit East Kilbride
Counterpoint: Don't.

Simonh
May 27, 2004
Someone talk about Cowdenbeath; more specifically, The New Goth.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Hallowed Turban posted:

Aberdeen's nice I hear, the shimmery city? This lady did a presentation on it and said it had loads of hills with an old town underneath or something (like Gotham or Futurama?) it sounded quite cool to be honest.
The silver city! More often than not it's just the plain old grey city when the mica isn't shining in the radioactive granite. Not sure what she's referring to re: undercity. If she was talking about a city of savage troglodytes, she may have been thinking of Dundee.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Aberdeen is a funny place because it's stuck in the 80s, much like supporters of its football team.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's our year.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Dundee is actually a cool and fun place.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
I think we are losing focus here.

Hibs are poo poo.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I have been to Scotland only once and I visited 3 cities - Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness!!!

skirth
Oct 29, 2010
Edinburgh is so much nicer than Glasgow it's not even funny tbh

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

skirth posted:

Edinburgh is so much nicer than Glasgow it's not even funny tbh

Just stay in the West end and pretend the rest doesn't exist.

Yea Edinburgh wins hands down on looks but I know where I want to be on a night out. Glasgow is friendlier and without the breeze. Though I would still live in Edinburgh. Lets be honest what the 3rd best city in Scotland Dundee, Aberdeen or Inverness? Yea no thanks.(Sorry if you live there)

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Ramagamma posted:

Don't be a dick. Just because we live in Perth doesn't make it okay to inflict that pain upon others.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

The silver city! More often than not it's just the plain old grey city when the mica isn't shining in the radioactive granite. Not sure what she's referring to re: undercity. If she was talking about a city of savage troglodytes, she may have been thinking of Dundee.

If I remember correctly Chas she said there were hills and the old city was built at the bottom of the hills whilst the current city is effectively bridging over the gaps between the hills, meaning there's effectively an undercity. She had visual aids to help out mind maybe I'm not explaining very clearly.

It sounded plausible at the time to be honest.

Insanely Sikh fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 28, 2013

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Total Meatlove posted:

Visit South Ayrshire for beautiful scenery and a wide selection of golf courses

South Ayrshire is sort of like a scum overflow. The fact that it has some mediocre municipal golf courses can't save it from the overwhelming amount of arseholes who would rather support the Old Firm than their local teams.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

James R posted:

South Ayrshire is sort of like a scum overflow. The fact that it has some mediocre municipal golf courses can't save it from the overwhelming amount of arseholes who would rather support the Old Firm than their local teams.

At least it's not East or North Ayrshire, they're much much worse

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I'm glad we're talking about good/bad Scottish towns. Is Stirling at all good, or is it best avoided? I need to know for a reason.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Pipski posted:

I'm glad we're talking about good/bad Scottish towns. Is Stirling at all good, or is it best avoided? I need to know for a reason.

It's not great. Pretty small but near enough Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Pipski posted:

I've only been there a couple of times. It seems OK. Has a big castle.

Hallowed Turban posted:

If I remember correctly Chas she said there were hills and the old city was built at the bottom of the hills whilst the current city is effectively bridging over the gaps between the hills, meaning there's effectively an undercity. She had visual aids to help out mind maybe I'm not explaining very clearly.

It sounded plausible at the time to be honest.
I can kind of see that. There are parts of the city on different levels.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Hmm. Aight. Cheers lads. :-)

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

I've only been there a couple of times. It seems OK. Has a big castle.

I can kind of see that. There are parts of the city on different levels.

There's meant to be a particular cafe that's quite famous with a cellar where you can essentially see a bit of the old city. It sounded charming to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Hallowed Turban posted:

Its unrelentingly grey and depressing . Every loving building is made of granite. Every one. Locals still give you directions which include "turn left at the big grey building". It's also become really expensive because the oil industry is booming again. The beaches are amazing though, shame its usually -20 and hurricane force winds on them.

Pipski posted:

Go see the wallace monument and the castle.

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

I think we are losing focus here.

Hibs are poo poo.

• Locked thread