Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

cheesetriangles posted:

Got mewtwo to 1 pixel of health and then 20 minutes and about 40 ultra balls later he was caught. I think I woke up my neighbors with my shout of joy.

As a note for the next time you fight a tough-to-catch legendary: Quick Balls, Dusk Balls, and Timer Balls are far better than Ultra Balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

cheesetriangles posted:

Got mewtwo to 1 pixel of health and then 20 minutes and about 40 ultra balls later he was caught. I think I woke up my neighbors with my shout of joy.

The longer the Mewtwo battle takes, the longer you can enjoy his music :allears:

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Cyflan posted:

As a note for the next time you fight a tough-to-catch legendary: Quick Balls, Dusk Balls, and Timer Balls are far better than Ultra Balls.

Real pros use Premiere Balls for all legendaries :colbert:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Next time use Capture Power lvl 3. I caught Mewtwo within 15 luxury balls (which are the equivalent of regular pokeballs).

I only have level 1.

What is a good moveset for mewtwo? I want to have an ultra mewtwo because I was really young once and think he is the best pokemon ever any evidence to the contrary ignored. What kind of EV training?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Emong posted:

Real pros use Premiere Balls for all legendaries :colbert:

Can't really argue with that.

Oh and i think i saw some people say there's a way to see how many eggs you've hatched.
Is there?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

cheesetriangles posted:

What is a good moveset for mewtwo? I want to have an ultra mewtwo because I was really young once and think he is the best pokemon ever any evidence to the contrary ignored. What kind of EV training?

Mewtwo Y? 252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed with Psychic/Shadow Ball/Aura Sphere/Ice Beam (not sure if he gets ice beam) but basically just high-power special attacks with coverage.

Cyflan posted:

Oh and i think i saw some people say there's a way to see how many eggs you've hatched.
Is there?

When you're wifi battling it puts up random stats and compares the two of you and one of those is eggs hatched.

And then you see a dude with a shiny Aegislash/Blaziken/Dragalge and Moxie Salamence with over 1,500 eggs hatched and you just kinda go "welp".

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Millions posted:

Talonflame's hidden ability gives priority to Flying moves.

How do you even counter that? I can do pretty decently in ranked battles, but for some reason Gale Wing Talonflames just sweep my team and it's completely over. My Barbaracle is the only one who can survive a hit, and then the drat thing just U-turns out before I can Clamp it.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

I only have level 1.

To be fair, when you were really young it actually was the best pokemon ever :v:

Speed and Sp.Atk are your best bet since all of mewtwo's best attacks are specially based, even if you have Mega Mewtwo X his physical movepool ain't too great in comparison.

E:

tentawesome posted:

How do you even counter that? I can do pretty decently in ranked battles, but for some reason Gale Wing Talonflames just sweep my team and it's completely over. My Barbaracle is the only one who can survive a hit, and then the drat thing just U-turns out before I can Clamp it.

Any rock type can bring it to a dead stop, and stealth rocks stop it from U-turning at will.

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 28, 2013

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yes was Mewtwo Y sorry forgot there was two versions. Whats the difference between Y and X?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Yes was Mewtwo Y sorry forgot there was two versions. Whats the difference between Y and X?

Mega Mewtwo Y gets sky-high special attack and a bit higher speed.

Mega Mewtwo X gets dual Psychic/Fighting typing and it's Attack goes up to the same level as it's Sp.Attack.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

I only have level 1.

He actually still is one of the best pokemon ever though

Which mega? One has high attack and special attack, one has stupid crazy high special attack. Put everything into the attack stat you're using and speed.

Talmonis posted:

Oh...dear lord that's mean. Thanks, I'll have to take that into consideration for additional coverage.

It's really dumb, even with your own priority moves it's really fast so it'll go first anyway. Rock types can be an ok check but Talonflame can carry Steel Wing if it needs to hit them. If you just have one with a choice band spamming Brave Birds as much as possible and have nothing to stop it it can take out 3 guys in a row yeah.

Another reason 3v3 is dumb :(

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
I've been trying to figure out this breeding thing, but I feel like my brain is not computing. I'm catching lots of dittos. I head back to the guy who tells about perfect IVs. He seems a bit vague, but I can figure out that one of the 20 dittos I caught has a perfect special attack IV. But here is where I get confused. How can I tell if it has more than one good IV? And do I simply keep breeding with say litwick and hope for the best or do I catch a ton of lit wicks, find out which one has good IVs and then breed that with the ditto?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Cyflan posted:

Can't really argue with that.

Is there?

I know it shows you the number if you are battling online, but I don't know where else to see it in game.

edit:

GRINK HELCH posted:

I've been trying to figure out this breeding thing, but I feel like my brain is not computing. I'm catching lots of dittos. I head back to the guy who tells about perfect IVs. He seems a bit vague, but I can figure out that one of the 20 dittos I caught has a perfect special attack IV. But here is where I get confused. How can I tell if it has more than one good IV? And do I simply keep breeding with say litwick and hope for the best or do I catch a ton of lit wicks, find out which one has good IVs and then breed that with the ditto?

There is a guy in the Kiloude (postgame town) pokemon center that will tell you your pokemon's IV's. He tells you each pokemon's highest IVs, and if there is a tie he lists all of them. And if the phrase he says at the end is something like "that can't be beat!" it means that those stats are all perfect 31s. Also, you should be using the safari to catch dittos, since all safari pokemon are guaranteed to have at least 2 perfect IVs.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 28, 2013

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

I want one (named Pandamn).

I'm not sure if this is the joke you were going for, but they need an even longer character limit for nicknames in Z, cause now I have to roll around PokéFrance with a Pangoro named Jean Claude pan Damme.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Is it possible get get Prankster Sableye in this game? I want a lead with Taunt/Will-o-Wisp. I was hoping Klefki could be my man, especially with fairy moves to go on the offensive, but alas he doesn't get either of those moves. If not, are there any comparable leads?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Sableye is a Friend Safari 'mon, so yeah.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

noirstronaut posted:

I want one (named Pandamn).

I've noted your FC from earlier in the thread :hf:

If anybody else wants in on the Pancham train, let me know. I'm collecting FCs throughout the day so I can get back to you once I have results this week sometime.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

[sub]
Another reason 3v3 is dumb :(

I play triples, so I can bring in all six Pokemon.

Talonflame is a core member of my team, but she doesn't have Gale Wing. She usually goes first anyway and has Brave
Bird, Flare Blitz, Steel Wing and Roost.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
So, in light of the Talonflame priority Brave Bird issue (which, considering how effective it is, should be taken into consideration) Would people recommend switching mega gengar with either:

Aggron, Sturdy w/ Rocky helmet

Aggron, Sturdy w/ Aggronite

Mawile, Intimidate w/Mawilite

Azumarill, Huge Power w/Leftovers (and priority moves)

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Has anyone figured out how to get Tyrantrum/Amaura secret abilities within the game? The only way I'd imagine it would be possible would be through breeding a female Tyrant/Amaura with an existing hidden ability male of a completely different type of pokemon, but I doubt this would work.

I'm sure most people that care know already, but the former gets Rock Head and the latter gets Snow Warning.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Someone on neoGAF is saying that the Pikachu game is apparently a detective-styled game with a blue villain Pikachu?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705424

:shrug:

EDIT: a TALKING blue villain Pikachu at that

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

GRINK HELCH posted:

If you want to breed for perfect IV's you should add somebody who has a friend safari with dittos in it and capture them there. Pokemon from the friend safari have two guaranteed perfect IV's and you can breed any litwick with dittos and pass over the necessary IV's over several generations, swapping out better and better litwicks with dittos that have perfect IV's in different stats. By having one of the parents hold certain items you can game the system to give you ideal IV spreads quicker.

The "Power" Items let you pass over one specific IV to each egg, and the Destiny Knot lets the egg inherit 5 random IV's from each parent, 2 more than the standard.

Ideally, you'll be able to pass down 5 Perfect IV's from a litwick holding a Destiny Knot by breeding it with a ditto/litwick that has a positive nature and an everstone.

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 28, 2013

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is it possible to raise an EV above 255? Or will it stop me there. I know you want it at 252 but I am not sure I care enough to get it precisely right.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

Is it possible to raise an EV above 255? Or will it stop me there. I know you want it at 252 but I am not sure I care enough to get it precisely right.

They stop at 252 now.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Zahki posted:

They stop at 252 now.

But it will stop me right? So I can just go do special attack training over and over and not need to count?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

cheesetriangles posted:

Don't worry, it'll stop you at 252.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MykonosFan posted:

Someone on neoGAF is saying that the Pikachu game is apparently a detective-styled game with a blue villain Pikachu?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705424

:shrug:

:psyduck: What?

Like the screenshot makes it look dumb as hell but I would be totally down for a Film Noir type Pokemon game with just Pokemon. Like Squirtles in little gangster outfits, Gengar being some sort of tough guy gangster, Snorlax being a big mob boss, etc. Basically a big black and white detective noir game but with only Pokemon.

"It was a rainy day in Kanto. I was ready to close up shop for the day when... she walked in." *Pikachu sits at his desk with a super potion he's drinking while a Psyduck with a bow on her head comes waddling in*

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

But it will stop me right?

Yes. When you hit the max it won't give anymore EVs, it will just say "X is a master of <stat>!"

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Talmonis posted:

So, in light of the Talonflame priority Brave Bird issue (which, considering how effective it is, should be taken into consideration) Would people recommend switching mega gengar with either:

Having priority moves of your own won't really help you unless you can naturally outspeed Talonflame anyway. Azumarill's Aqua Jet will always be slower than a Gale Wing Brave Bird. And Mawile will have to survive a super-effective Flare Blitz before it can do anything. Aggron seems like a solid counter though, I don't think Talonflame gets anything than can put more than a dent in him.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Talmonis posted:

Tyrantrum doesn't care about either of its STAB's and OHKO's it right back

also it is a t-rex

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Thanks guys, gonna hunt me down a noivern! Didn't realise it was a special attacker really! Then I have a spare slot... If a goon is willing to give me any type of hidden ability talonflame or fletchling for breeding that would be *amazing* ( I have PMs - 5472 6168 3992 no idea about my safari!)

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Ruggington posted:

Tyrantrum doesn't care about either of its STAB's and OHKO's it right back

also it is a t-rex

I really really want to use Tyrantrum competitively. I've seen a lot of back and forth, but do you guys think he is a viable Pokemon? I mean he is a T-Rex and that rules.

E;
The first pass of my team:
Prankster Sableye lead - Taunt/Will-O-Wisp/Recover/Foul Play
Aegislash Sweeper - Swords Dance/King's Shield/Sacred Sword/Shadow Sneak
Gale Wings Talonnflame Cleaner - Flare Blitz/Roost/Brave Bird/Steel Wing
Mega Gengar - Substite/ Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb/Focus Blast

Then after that Azumaril and Tyrantrum

Gnarly Bae Jepsen fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 28, 2013

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

MykonosFan posted:

Pikablu finally confirmed

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Militree posted:

I really really want to use Tyrantrum competitively. I've seen a lot of back and forth, but do you guys think he is a viable Pokemon? I mean he is a T-Rex and that rules.

His hidden ability is supposedly Rock Head, but I'm not quite sure how you'd get that without having access to Tyrunt in Safari.

I recall hearing an hypothetical move set for Tyrantrum with Rock Head, Belly Drum (May have been Dragon Dance) and Head Smash which should be pretty alright if it works out.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Militree posted:

Tyrantrum is awesome there's no debating that (It's a despot pokemon for god's sake) but it's typing is a problem. So is its speed. But breeding should be able to give it some coverage and EV training could be used to increase speed. You might even wanna use a jolly nature. Also a choice scarf to help.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

FauxGateau posted:

Tyrantrum is awesome there's no debating that (It's a despot pokemon for god's sake) but it's typing is a problem. So is its speed. But breeding should be able to give it some coverage and EV training could be used to increase speed. You might even wanna use a jolly nature. Also a choice scarf to help.

Or you can completely tank its Speed and build a Trick Room team :getin:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Militree posted:

He gets Dragon Dance and Strong Jaw gives him a strong Ice Fang/Fire Fang/Crunch; he's shockingly physically bulky, his typing kinda gives him trouble but he'll survive most hits. If you can get in a Dragon Dance he becomes really difficult for non-scarfed pokemon to stop, but you have to get rid of bullet/mach punchers before that happens. He's also a T-rex and golly that's neat

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My Tyrantrum is Jolly if only so he can outspeed other Tyrantrums.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I'm about to start IV breeding for the first time! I've always loved breeding so I figure it's finally time to really get into it. Any good links or suggestions for this? I see some people talking about their perfect IV pokeman and I'd love some advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Note Block posted:

I'm about to start IV breeding for the first time! I've always loved breeding so I figure it's finally time to really get into it. Any good links or suggestions for this? I see some people talking about their perfect IV pokeman and I'd love some advice!

Hey I'm sorry for not explaining this in any way or anything, but I really like this guide and found it really helpful.

http://nuggetbridge.com/breeding/breeding-perfect-pokemon-x-y/

• Locked thread