Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PoshAlligator posted:

So does the Season Pass come with ANY content "right out of the box".

By which I mainly mean costumes.

Yes, I will pay money for Batman costumes. Yes, I am ashamed.

Gotham by Gaslight and Brightest Day Batman skins for multiplayer.

Not single player for some reason. May just be an oversight.

Kin posted:

edit: I just spotted the season pass too. I'm pretty tempted if it's more single player stuff. I might get it if they patch the PC issues.

One of the things is supposed to be Bruce Wayne DLC where you play through his training, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Aphrodite posted:

Gotham by Gaslight and Brightest Day Batman skins for multiplayer.

Not single player for some reason. May just be an oversight.

One of the things is supposed to be Bruce Wayne DLC where you play through his training, or something.

If it's like vanilla City several costumes are only available after you beat the game once.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Kin posted:

Has there been any word on that from the developers about a patch? Even a "we're working on it" would be nice to hear.

"Our teams are aware of this and are currently working on a fix."

:doh: posted:

Game Breaking Glitches (PS3 and Xbox 360)
Our teams are currently working on these issues.

I really want to be snarky about this but I bet a lot of programmers are having a really bad week. Actually, screw it. Come on guys, half of these bugs are game ending and should have been easily caught in any sort of testing.

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 28, 2013

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

I like how they linked to that video from earlier in the thread that shows how to abuse another bug to get past the first one. :ughh:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

If it's like vanilla City several costumes are only available after you beat the game once.

It's not that, you can view your costume collection in the Batcave at any time and also use costumes in Challenge Mode before beating the game. They don't appear in SP at all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Aphrodite posted:

It's not that, you can view your costume collection in the Batcave at any time and also use costumes in Challenge Mode before beating the game. They don't appear in SP at all.

City worked exactly like this on release, you had to beat the game once to use them in single player.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RadicalWall posted:

I really want to be snarky about this but I bet a lot of programmers are having a really bad week. Actually, screw it. Come on guys, half of these bugs are game ending and should have been easily caught in any sort of testing.

This is why I'm pretty drat sure they were part of a copy protection scheme like Asylum had, but having a bad reaction to Steam or something. There are bugs that happen 100 percent of the time, there's no way those could have just snuck by them, but if it was working as intended on the developers computers that I really doubt would trip a DRM switch, well, then maybe there's a chance there.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

The costumes are usable from the beginning with NG+ mode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People are saying the 2 season pass skins are not available in any single player mode whether you beat the game or not right now though.

Edit: This might be PS3 only.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 28, 2013

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Played 10 minutes and managed to get stuck in geometry twice. Second time I couldn't even fast travel out of the side of the building I was in. I think it's time to wait for a patch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I guess I should feel fortunate that I haven't run into any of the showstoppers. So far I haven't run into anything so bad in the PC Origins as the 360 version of Arkham City which had a bug after a dashboard update where the game would just hardlock your console on load a good 30-40% of the time.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I've probably had the game freeze on me at least ten times on the 360, along with a handful of other bugs. My favorite was this one involving Deadshot.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Aphrodite posted:

People are saying the 2 season pass skins are not available in any single player mode whether you beat the game or not right now though.

Edit: This might be PS3 only.

Nah, I have the season pass on Steam and they're not available in single player. I wanted to dress up my Batmans. :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Nah, I have the season pass on Steam and they're not available in single player. I wanted to dress up my Batmans. :(
They were available to me without beating the game. You can change your suit in the Batcave.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

RadicalWall posted:

Which you're currently doing. Bear in mind that this game dropped just before the weekend, so nothing was going to happen before Monday anyway.

Beta-testing taking place after release has been a thing for a while now. Near as I can tell, they didn't check geometry, which I suspect is why grapple targets are thinner on the ground than they used to be.

Subject change; Anyone claiming that they 'lifted' the city directly from AC really needs to load it up and take a look. Without getting into a lot of detail, Origin's Gotham is a shitton more vertical and _builds_ on AC rather than replacing it. The differences are subtle in places, but go take a look at actual landmarks in AC and see what they did. I'm actually impressed with the continuity.

I can kinda see the point behind the unlock tree, as it allows them to throttle the available skills by level; they could have done this for balance, or wanted to promote the idea that batman is actually acruing this stuff as he goes (handwaving the continuity of this, they obviously didn't want to lose *all* the magic).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hav posted:

Subject change; Anyone claiming that they 'lifted' the city directly from AC really needs to load it up and take a look. Without getting into a lot of detail, Origin's Gotham is a shitton more vertical and _builds_ on AC rather than replacing it. The differences are subtle in places, but go take a look at actual landmarks in AC and see what they did. I'm actually impressed with the continuity.

The place with the biggest difference is the Amusement Mile. In City, there's a mention of it having been sunk by a relatively recent earthquake. That quake hasn't happened yet in Origins, so the whole place is completely different.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hav posted:

I was genuinely pretty impressed by the fact that the path Bruce takes up the Ace Chemical building at the start of City is still intact in Origins. Like, there's no reason to use that path, but the fact that they kept it in 1:1 was a nice little detail.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Kin posted:

I got the no fast travel thing too just after I unlocked the hatter mission. I assumed it was down to a specific thing that was going to happen to me during navigation across the city.

The only thing that happened was that Alfred called me to wish me a merry Christmas as i approached the bank/hatter shop, so it might not be a bug.

It's a bit lovely if that's why though. Fast travel deactivated just so you can hear one line of dialogue as you fly around the city?

Fast travel is locked when you catch an enemy's attention and stay locked until you've gotten the results screen for beating his rear end. Getting that mission got you some attention and you didn't get a chance to beat their rear end. Yes, it's sloppy design, but that shows up a lot.

If you find fast travel locked when you're not in a fight, just restart from checkpoint, it should open it up again.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Aphrodite posted:

Man I'm never going to get the unseen predator thing done.

Plus the challenges really seem to expect you to do them at certain story points, so if you don't you fall behind prime opportunities to do certain things.

The game really gets tense (read: amazing) when you handicap yourself by not using detective vision AND making sure you're unseen. It really isn't that much harder, you just have to be way more patient.

This game is a blast. When I figured out the test with the three doors, I felt both really smart and really stupid at the same time.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Three things of note:

1) Whoever decided that I need to do a "hanging ledge" takedown along with three other types of takedowns can go straight to a poorly managed hell. I've never even seen the prompt for this fucker - standing on a rail and looking down does nothing. I remember it being finicky and near impossible in City too - but they didn't build a challenge around it. The explosive gel takedowns are rare enough to trigger (apparently the weak wood panels don't work) on their own. Spectacularly awful design.

2) Just did the Hotel sequence (not really a spoiler, this bit was shown in the trailers), but drat - that's some good old fashioned solid level design at play.

3) I just logged another five hours with Origins - clearly its doing SOMETHING right!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The place with the biggest difference is the Amusement Mile. In City, there's a mention of it having been sunk by a relatively recent earthquake. That quake hasn't happened yet in Origins, so the whole place is completely different.

Including totally missing a ferris wheel, from what I noticed. Unless I'm totally blind.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So it sounds like I should wait until this game gets patched for all its bugs before picking it up, huh?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So it sounds like I should wait until this game gets patched for all its bugs before picking it up, huh?

Yeah, give it a couple of weeks. Maybe see if it goes on sale for thanksgiving weekend.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They were available to me without beating the game. You can change your suit in the Batcave.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I have access to: Blackest Night Batman and Batman One Million. Not any of the ones from the Season Pass.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Stroth posted:

Yeah, give it a couple of weeks. Maybe see if it goes on sale for thanksgiving weekend.

Seconding this. The bugs are annoying around the Burnley tower bug, but the save game issues are giving me pause for patches. It's not _bad_, it's just buggy and will get a whole bunch better.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I love it how Arkham is in the title just because.

GuyCastle
Jun 24, 2000

Narcissus1916 posted:

Three things of note:

1) Whoever decided that I need to do a "hanging ledge" takedown along with three other types of takedowns can go straight to a poorly managed hell. I've never even seen the prompt for this fucker - standing on a rail and looking down does nothing. I remember it being finicky and near impossible in City too - but they didn't build a challenge around it. The explosive gel takedowns are rare enough to trigger (apparently the weak wood panels don't work) on their own. Spectacularly awful design.

Unless you're talking about another challenge, the hanging ledge takedown is one where you have to hang below whoever you want to take out, not the other way around.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I love it how Arkham is in the title just because.

It communicates that this is a Batman game in the Arkham series, and not in any of the terrible realities where superhero games suck. And it's still a hell of a lot better than Batman: Gotham City: Origins of Batman or whatever the hell some bumblefuck in this thread thought it should be titled.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ugh, I would be much more into the challenges if they weren't tiered.

Still: this is pretty good when it doesn't crash on me. I like how they used the map of Arkham City but reworked it extensively so none of it feels the same. This is not how they did it in Crackdown 2.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Narcissus1916 posted:

In one of AC's Riddler's Challenge maps you have to do this same takedown and it's just about as much fun since there's just a few spots where you can do it nicely in that map. The best way to a hanging ledge takedown at least in AC is to be sitting on a rail that's above a doorway, then lure a thug to walk under you with a sonic batarang or whatever, and pray to whatever spirits you hold dear that the takedown prompt comes up.

edit: 0:30 into this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP13rE62v_0

edit2: I just had a stretch of pavement turn into water. Not visibly, but walking into it made Batman behave as if it was.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 28, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So what exactly is the "Worst Nightmare" final upgrade? I want to know what I'm killing myself trying to get a hanging ledge takedown for.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

DrNutt posted:

It communicates that this is a Batman game in the Arkham series, and not in any of the terrible realities where superhero games suck. And it's still a hell of a lot better than Batman: Gotham City: Origins of Batman or whatever the hell some bumblefuck in this thread thought it should be titled.

I know the reason. It just makes zero sense in terms of storyline and highlights how low writing is prioritised in this series.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

Speedball posted:

So what exactly is the "Worst Nightmare" final upgrade? I want to know what I'm killing myself trying to get a hanging ledge takedown for.

The level 15 rewards are just achievements.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

Speedball posted:

Ugh, I would be much more into the challenges if they weren't tiered.

Especially since at least in my opinion the tiers make no sense at all in terms of difficulty. There were quite a few times where I did the prerequisite stuff for I challenge but didn't get credit as I had not completed the earlier levels of challenge.

For the "Worst nightmare" challenges it appears I will have to do those in the challenge mode as I have beat the main story which for the most part means no more easily accessible predator encounters. Anyone have a map recommendation for these?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I know the reason. It just makes zero sense in terms of storyline and highlights how low writing is prioritised in this series.

It does actually but it's pretty forced. In the ending you find out that this entire is the experience is why Arkham was reopened in the first place. It is literally the origin of Arkham.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

TheGreySpectre posted:

For the "Worst nightmare" challenges it appears I will have to do those in the challenge mode as I have beat the main story which for the most part means no more easily accessible predator encounters. Anyone have a map recommendation for these?

Oh, and challenge maps don't count!

I think someone was saying that the enemies on the ship deck will respawn and those do count.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The roof of the police station counts as a predator arena. It's also full of ledges/corner takedown spots. No idea if there are vents up there though. I know you can get the explosive gel takedown by just putting it on the floor, then having a guy walk on top of it, so if there is a vent, that'd work as a respawnable predator point.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

RadicalWall posted:

I think someone was saying that the enemies on the ship deck will respawn and those do count.

Rookersh posted:

The roof of the police station counts as a predator arena. It's also full of ledges/corner takedown spots. No idea if there are vents up there though. I know you can get the explosive gel takedown by just putting it on the floor, then having a guy walk on top of it, so if there is a vent, that'd work as a respawnable predator point.
I do not remember either of these arenas to have vents. Grates on the ship deck, yeah.

How does the explosive gel takedown count if there isn't a wall though?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

A lot of the rooftops count as predator events, I managed to get the 'Complete a predator encounter without using Detective Mode' without even trying when I cleared a rooftop with two guys on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

RadicalWall posted:

Well piss, there goes that plan. The ones on the ship do respawn but to my knowledge there are no vents or explosive walls there to do some of the exotic takedowns required. Do the grates in the floor count as vent takedowns or do you to use one of the wall vents?

As much as it is cool that they have a huge variety of takedowns available I feel like in most situations the combo of silent takedown / grate down / inverted takedown is the fastest and easiest way to complete the encounter.

• Locked thread