Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I guess that makes my Cylinda (known as ASKO outside Sweden) with a 5 year standard warranty a little more than twice as good as the Bosch then? :smug:

BMW small case differential behind an M30.

So m30 in e30? Or one of the smaller e28's or something? All my big m30 cars came with a mid-case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I guess that makes my Cylinda (known as ASKO outside Sweden) with a 5 year standard warranty a little more than twice as good as the Bosch then? :smug:

Wonder how long that took to annihilate that.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I bet that too must have made one hell of a noise. I wonder how the driver reacted.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Found these two on imgur, more of operator error but there's mechanical carnage so I think they might fit into this thread

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
2006 A4 2.0T -- HPFP Cam follower decides to let the engine eat it.

Cam follower

HPFP piston worn down & broken

Intake camshaft groove worn into it from contact with the HPFP piston

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

I know the driving experience of older Civic Hybrids can be pretty numb, but how the gently caress do you just drive on the rim that long? "It'll make it to the next service station... 20 miles ahead."

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Who goes through the effort of swapping a M30 into a 318i and doesn't change the diff to a medium case from a M20 E30?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Horrible DIY failure leads to mechanical failure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

How the hell do you install the timing belt backwards? Or did it flip over on its own? How the hell...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Looks more like maybe they were used to ACVWs :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 24, 2013

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

rscott posted:

Who goes through the effort of swapping a M30 into a 318i and doesn't change the diff to a medium case from a M20 E30?

Someone who's cheap. M30s can be had for next to nothing and with some lengthened harness wires it is plug & play into an e30. But the M5x motors are objectively better in almost every aspect except longevity (M30s can take some serious loving abuse) so no one really swaps them anymore.

FWIW, I once test drove an M10 turbo making about 235whp that still had the small case diff. Didn't sound too healthy when I drove it. People just do big power mods without considering other things.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Crustashio posted:

Someone who's cheap. M30s can be had for next to nothing and with some lengthened harness wires it is plug & play into an e30. But the M5x motors are objectively better in almost every aspect except longevity (M30s can take some serious loving abuse) so no one really swaps them anymore.

FWIW, I once test drove an M10 turbo making about 235whp that still had the small case diff. Didn't sound too healthy when I drove it. People just do big power mods without considering other things.

Having seen someone do an m30 into an e30, it most assuredly isn't plug and play, at least not on the mechanical end of things. My argument for m30 vs m50/52 would be that they have an assload of torque and are really easy to turbocharge. But I'm biased I guess. It's a dumb thing to do because it trashes the handling on an e30, which was my main concern when I drove the end result.

Oh and the m10/m30 bolt pattern and flywheels etc are the same which gives you a bunch of gearbox/clutch options. M20/50 is much more limiting.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 24, 2013

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Crustashio posted:

Or someone who really wants a 4+ final drive ratio and an M30 with the minimum of effort?

Always wondered what the M30 swaps actually drive like. Isn't the M30 both vast and heavy? Even if you get the suspension sorted (an expensive 'if'?) I would worry that they'd just plow straight on in every corner. I mean obviously you can drive around it, but is it really a pleasant experience?

e: Looks like Slavvy has answered my question...

Saga fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 24, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Saga posted:

Or someone who really wants a 4+ final drive ratio and an M30 with the minimum of effort?

Always wondered what the M30 swaps actually drive like. Isn't the M30 both vast and heavy? Even if you get the suspension sorted (an expensive 'if'?) I would worry that they'd just plow straight on in every corner. I mean obviously you can drive around it, but is it really a pleasant experience?

e: Looks like Slavvy has answered my question...

It really is pretty ratshit. From an all-round awesomeness perspective you really want either a turbo m10, an m42 or an m5x. The m30 has it's place though. Namely in a sharknose car with a turbo/blower on the side, a 4 speed rock crusher from an e12 behind it and an LSD medium case with 3.25 gears behind that.

I miss having an old BMW :sigh:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

So m30 in e30? Or one of the smaller e28's or something? All my big m30 cars came with a mid-case.

E30 320 and down with open diffs use small case where as the LSD's are medium case diffs. 323 and up use the medium case on both open and LSD diffs. Or at least that is what I've been told. This was a M30 in a 318 IIRC.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

E30 320 and down with open diffs use small case where as the LSD's are medium case diffs. 323 and up use the medium case on both open and LSD diffs. Or at least that is what I've been told. This was a M30 in a 318 IIRC.

I've never seen an LSD medium case in an e30, but I'm sure they exist. All the ones I've seen have been open. M30 in a 318 is a terrible idea, especially because it has suspension softer than a 6 cyl and the shittiest brakes available. The only upshot is plug-and-play gearbox, provided you build up an m10 clutch/flywheel combo that can deal with all the torques in the world.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I've never seen an LSD medium case in an e30, but I'm sure they exist. All the ones I've seen have been open. M30 in a 318 is a terrible idea, especially because it has suspension softer than a 6 cyl and the shittiest brakes available. The only upshot is plug-and-play gearbox, provided you build up an m10 clutch/flywheel combo that can deal with all the torques in the world.

Every E30 325es/is should have a medium case LSD no? They do in North America anyways.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

Every E30 325es/is should have a medium case LSD no? They do in North America anyways.

Correct. Medium case LSDs are relatively common in the US.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

rscott posted:

We never got is/es, all the 325i I've seen are either ordinary or 'm-sport' and have the associated bodykit, seats, steering wheel etc. 323's are pretty rare here so I can't comment on that. We have an e30 race series where they're allowed to run either a 320i or an m40 318i and they must get their lsd's somewhere. It's a hilarious class, they can go hog-wild on suspension and chassis but the engine and gearbox have to be totally factory.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
e: forgot what thread I was in, nvm

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 25, 2013

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
My sister's '96 Corolla recently had an A/C belt shred itself off the pulleys, I took a look at it and saw that the alternator belt wasn't far behind. Since the timing belt hadn't been touched since '06 / 70k miles I figured I'd go in there and refresh everything all at once, and I'm glad I did..

Crank pulley, shot from the passenger wheel well. Looks like something from the wreckage of the Titanic, but it's pretty standard for something that has lived in Ohio for 16 winters. (you don't wanna know about the rear wheel wells)

Hey, the pulley comes off the crank pretty easily! Wait a tick, I haven't taken the crank bolt off yet...

I've never heard of a crank pulley failing this way... at least on the VW's I've worked on. You can see evidence of the pulley "hunting" back and forth; shiny scuff on the engine block and burnt plastic on the timing belt cover. More than likely it's the cause of the belts shredding off, I'm just glad I caught this in October rather than February.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NoWake posted:

I've never heard of a crank pulley failing this way... at least on the VW's I've worked on. You can see evidence of the pulley "hunting" back and forth; shiny scuff on the engine block and burnt plastic on the timing belt cover. More than likely it's the cause of the belts shredding off, I'm just glad I caught this in October rather than February.

It's not the most common thing, but it does happen. There's a bit of rubber between the two pieces (which is why it's also referred to as a harmonic balancer on a lot of cars); when it rots away, they split apart like that.

And yeah, that's likely why it's tossing belts.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

NoWake posted:

This happens on BMWs too.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Florida is a dump but at least I don't have to worry about getting maintenance done before the great freeze.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I'm not going to quote the images again, but I've seen that failure on a twenty year old Integra. The power steering never missed a beat; I only discovered that it was broken because the a/c would make it slip.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NoWake posted:

My sister's '96 Corolla recently had an A/C belt shred itself off the pulleys, I took a look at it and saw that the alternator belt wasn't far behind. Since the timing belt hadn't been touched since '06 / 70k miles I figured I'd go in there and refresh everything all at once, and I'm glad I did..

Crank pulley, shot from the passenger wheel well. Looks like something from the wreckage of the Titanic, but it's pretty standard for something that has lived in Ohio for 16 winters. (you don't wanna know about the rear wheel wells)

Hey, the pulley comes off the crank pretty easily! Wait a tick, I haven't taken the crank bolt off yet...

I had this happen to my crank pulley, it went the other way and chewed up the timing belt.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004

ultimateforce posted:

Florida is a dump but at least I don't have to worry about getting maintenance done before the great freeze.

It's kind of the opposite in Florida. I get as much poo poo done in the fall, winter and early spring as I can before the great heat shows up and I don't go outside.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Blackdawgg posted:

It's kind of the opposite in Florida. I get as much poo poo done in the fall, winter and early spring as I can before the great heat shows up and I don't go outside.

Garage + fans solves that though, mostly

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ultimateforce posted:

My Holley rebuild kit will be arriving tomorrow, when the weather hits low 40s as the high. Today it was 65 by 10 am. :(

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

Garage + fans solves that though, mostly

Bitch you've never worked in Arizona

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I've got two engines to pull and a cylinder head to remove to get my cars back on the road. It's been in the upper 20s every morning this week :(. Why does it seem like the only time I manage to work on my poo poo is when it's cold, dark, raining, or all of the above.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Geirskogul posted:

Bitch you've never worked in Arizona

Or Florida. Garages here are generally unbearable to work in, even with ventilation.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ultimateforce posted:

This was me last night:

I plugged it in in a combination of panic over a dim oil pressure warning light and pragmatism in wanting the 2" thick sheet of frozen rain to melt off the underside of the car so I could find the front subframe jacking point.

Don't ask about the q-tips.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

NoWake posted:

My Grandma's 1996 Corolla that looks exactly like that had never had the timing belt changed until march of this year when I finally managed to badger her enough to get her to let me do it. Belt must have been at least a little stretched because it runs much less shittily now.

Never seen one stay in service long enough to get fuzzy like this before:

Accessory belts looked like poo poo too:

These were all original to the car being new. She's the sort that gets pissed off she has to do maintenance.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Pfff, you can still see the lettering in those belts. They're good for another decade at least :v:.

My grandmas '99 Corolla still has the OEM belts and plugs too, but it also only has 75k on it. Still been nagging her to do the timing belt before dry-rot gets it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Those don't look that bad, honestly

e:fb or whatever ^^^^^ :argh:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Or Florida. Garages here are generally unbearable to work in, even with ventilation.

The service centre for one of the dealerships here has a big section of their wall which can be opened and pivots vertically on a central axle / hinge. It's always open for most of the year. I suppose it would be the difference between brain boiling and a horrible workplace which can still sustain human life.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This was me last night:

I plugged it in in a combination of panic over a dim oil pressure warning light and pragmatism in wanting the 2" thick sheet of frozen rain to melt off the underside of the car so I could find the front subframe jacking point.

Don't ask about the q-tips.

Why is your car covered in cocaine?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Looks like he's got a bad case of freezer burn going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vanagoon posted:

My Grandma's 1996 Corolla that looks exactly like that had never had the timing belt changed until march of this year when I finally managed to badger her enough to get her to let me do it. Belt must have been at least a little stretched because it runs much less shittily now.

Never seen one stay in service long enough to get fuzzy like this before:

Accessory belts looked like poo poo too:

These were all original to the car being new. She's the sort that gets pissed off she has to do maintenance.

Those belts look....okay.