Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
AT4W just gets more :catdrugs: by the week. :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Arbite posted:

New Jontron... sort of.

He's branching into TV reviews for the season.

*edit* Holy poo poo Don Cherry!

That was great, looks like part two is coming very soon as well!

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
That was great! Jon Tron is so fabulous.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Miss Wallace posted:

That was great! Jon Tron is so fabulous.

Just watched your riff with the Isle of Rangoon guys. There were some great jokes there even if the start of the short didn't leave you guys much to work with. How exactly did you guys script that anyways? I noticed a few spots where their timing seemed slightly off during the "movie" but nothing terrible.

I don't really watch the Rangoon folks, but I do love their puppetry work. They're quite professional.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Thanks!

We scripted that using Google Docs. Everyone added whatever comments came to them and it got assigned to whoever fit the line best. A majority of the work was done by the Rangoon folks and the audio was added in later, it wasn't recorded along with the movie. The timing might've been due to trying to fit everything in but I'm not sure. The puppeteer for Sunny Jim is Greg Sepelak, who does the title cards for Manic Episodes and Radu Reviews, that's how I got involved with it.

I'm glad you thought it was professional! They really get into what they do.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

quakster posted:

You aren't kidding. As much as I like the guy, that new outfit looks kind of silly. Maybe it's just that coat with the hat, but something about it doesn't mesh well. I'm sure the fangirls will love it (yes, he has fangirls).

Though it was nice to see an actual set being used rather than a greenscreen. Having a couple more people other than "Linkara in a tuxedo" or ":krad: Linkara" also looks a lot less awkward.

Content: Machinima maker DasBoSchitt released this half-finished review for Metro: Last Light a little while ago. While it's incomplete, there are still some interesting points about the role of NPCs in games. A full review would have been nice to see, and maybe we will get a couple more on the future.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The Jontron/Grumps 'split' has been really great for both sides. Jontron is funny in his own thing not being the guy who shrieks "ARIN ARIN ARIN LOOK AT MY BUTT" and the current Grump lineup with Steamtrain and poo poo like their Monster Hunter episode on that other channel are great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quakster posted:

My first thought upon reading this post was "COCAINE IS MY GOD AND I AM THE HUMAN INSTRUMENT OF ITS WILL!"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/adventure-time-vlogs-city-of-thieves-6673087

I liked how Doug got the full family involved :3:

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

achillesforever6 posted:

Is there a gif of this showing the cart actually moving?

Alas, I could not find a gif, but I found a video clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Vc9_f4ByA

And this other gif.

EDIT:

You're a hero Robert Denby :allears:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 30, 2013

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

achillesforever6 posted:

Is there a gif of this showing the cart actually moving?
Just whipped these up. Linking because they're kinda big (3.3 and 2.7MB respectively): http://i.imgur.com/pneU6Rw.gif, http://i.imgur.com/Cv28aJ6.gif

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

Just whipped these up. Linking because they're kinda big (3.3 and 2.7MB respectively): http://i.imgur.com/pneU6Rw.gif, http://i.imgur.com/Cv28aJ6.gif
You are a gentleman and a scholar :)

Also new NC is Devil
http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/nc-devil-6674787

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Robert Denby posted:

Oh my God, you're amazing. Is it possible to crop the living room one down to avatar size, maybe with him rolling into/out of frame? If it'd be a bitch, don't worry about it. Just curious.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't get why they insist on stupid screamers, it's annoying as all hell

I actually like those, and I found that one in particular really funny. But that's mainly because of the context and seeing it coming since the ghost girl was in the opening bit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

You are a gentleman and a scholar :)

Also new NC is Devil
http://blip.tv/nostalgiacritic/nc-devil-6674787

Yay, more Sham-Amon. Why do I get the feeling they're going to go through his entire filmography just to give Rob an excuse to keep using his awesome Steve Blum voice?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell is Gameception. I've been Shyamalammed. :(

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

quakster posted:

What the hell is Gameception. I've been Shyamalammed. :(

They pledged a certain amount of money (I forget how much) to the Channel Awesome Indiegogo campaign, and the perk for that was getting an episode tacked onto an NC review.

It's sort of a double-edged sword if you ask me, considering the amount of bitching I've seen about it online.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bad Wolf posted:

They pledged a certain amount of money (I forget how much) to the Channel Awesome Indiegogo campaign, and the perk for that was getting an episode tacked onto an NC review.

It's sort of a double-edged sword if you ask me, considering the amount of bitching I've seen about it online.

$1,250.00 USD, but who's counting?

Besides, they didn't really put out that appealing of a product to begin with it. There's a lot you can do with the concept, and I feel like an absolute shitheel ragging on them, but they kind of took whatever legs they had out from under them by calling it loving "Gameception" and then starting it off with each of them mugging for the camera in the opening (and yes, the irony is not lost on me that I'm pointing this out on a video attached the goddamn Nostalgia Critic) and just being generally uninteresting as an ensemble.

...Also Video Games AWESOME! has a way better video game/player cam split screen format.

But enough about Gameception, Brad's back with part 2 of Pagan Invasion!

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 30, 2013

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jay O posted:

Ha ha, I'll try to keep this from going all animu-chat, but it's been many years since I've seen it, back when it was on adult swim. I think it had a lot of execution and worldbuilding problems like BONES fantasy originals tend to have, but on the plus side of that, it had Bones' great design choices and a wealth of unique ideas and powerful little moments. It's memorable, which is always a good thing. Probably a little too weird and complicated for its own good, the subject matter underneath was pretty simple, but unique and memorable goes a long way.

I think it's definitely the best thing Dai Sato has come up with, or at least the most emotionally resonant. Guy's got a lot of complex ideas, but he has a loooot of trouble injecting real humanity into them, so he's best when writing scripts for other showrunners who can use his strengths and amplify them. Unsupervised, he can be almost interminable. (Ergo Proxy...ugh.) But for some reason, Eureka 7 works. It had a lot of problems, but it was emotionally impactful, so good for him overcoming that hurdle in at least ONE story.
I'm having Deja vu so I think did ask you this before, I think I then responded about how it had a great score/music in general and the hyperbole that it was probably my favorite Coming of Age story in any medium. Weird.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Leave it to VGCW to give us the closure we never had.

RIP Game Grumps.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Just fyi, there's an offsite LP thread in Let's Play, so discussion of Game Grumps/Two Best Friends Play/etc. should probably go there.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Todd's breaking new ground for him and reviewing a Bruno Mars song that involves monkeys.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
Todd gets so hung up on figurative language. Maybe he's just bad at interpreting it or something. Bruno Mars wanted to sing about hot monkey sex and gorillas denote strength, power, and virility to the general public. A bonobo is too much like a chimp and those are associated with funny animal sidekicks that wear roller skates and space suits. Was the song successful in conveying the imagery of hot monkey sex or not? Whether or not it was factually accurate is beside the point.
In his next review, Todd will complain that Lionel Richie's "Dancing on the Ceiling" is terrible primarily because you can't really dance on a ceiling unless you're in a zero-gravity environment.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

CynCyanide posted:

In his next review, Todd will complain that Lionel Richie's "Dancing on the Ceiling" is terrible primarily because you can't really dance on a ceiling unless you're in a zero-gravity environment.

Not really, I think his problem with Dancing ont he ceiling was that it was Lionel Richie doing a party song. Did he even ever do an actual review of it? All I remember is 10 seconds in his 1987 review.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

CynCyanide posted:

Todd gets so hung up on figurative language. Maybe he's just bad at interpreting it or something. Bruno Mars wanted to sing about hot monkey sex and gorillas denote strength, power, and virility to the general public. A bonobo is too much like a chimp and those are associated with funny animal sidekicks that wear roller skates and space suits. Was the song successful in conveying the imagery of hot monkey sex or not? Whether or not it was factually accurate is beside the point.

Help what are jokes.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, I think what guy interprets as "bad at interpreting figurative lyrics" is :thejoke:. Hell, he even said the "factually accurate" thing was a joke flat out. Todd is a critic, but he's not the kind of critic who tries to legitimately and artfully deconstruct a song. He does it now and then, but he's primarily an entertainer. If you want analysis-focused Todd watch One Hit Wonderland. I liked the review.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

CynCyanide posted:

I thought it was okay, but I agree that Todd gets too pedantic at times. Each reviewer has a flaw, and for me this is Todd's. Eventually it just gets to where it's the same joke. I'm sure that's an unavoidable issue when it comes to doing a twelve minute review of a three minute song versus a career in One-Hit Wonderland; especially when it is a current, popular song that may not have bothered with otherwise.

I rarely advocate a reviewer to go shorter, but in Todd's case I think it may be better to go ten minutes for a song review and a bit longer with the OHW's.

Seriously though, what is up with Bruno and monkeys?

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

Jsor posted:

Yeah, I think what guy interprets as "bad at interpreting figurative lyrics" is :thejoke:. Hell, he even said the "factually accurate" thing was a joke flat out. Todd is a critic, but he's not the kind of critic who tries to legitimately and artfully deconstruct a song. He does it now and then, but he's primarily an entertainer. If you want analysis-focused Todd watch One Hit Wonderland. I liked the review.

No, I do in fact know what jokes are.

Let me rephrase slightly then: Todd's videos always have that nugget of actual analysis buried in with the jokes, and I personally (note that it's just me, my opinion) feel that sometimes his interpretations of figurative language, as they exist in those nuggets, is slightly off. Not wrong, or horribly, terribly off mark or anything, and I'd probably chalk it up to favoring the easy joke, but like, maybe slightly cursory? Like, when he talks about how it feels rapey he only mentions the "banging on my chest" line but he doesn't mention that the majority of the song is phrased in the future tense, so the whole song is either an attempt to talk dirty, or a threat.

Ghostpilot posted:

Seriously though, what is up with Bruno and monkeys?

I remember reading an interview with Bruno Mars in some magazine at work once, and apparently the dude just likes monkeys :shrug:

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Since 2011, I've had people vote on my Youtube channel for which Goosebumps book I should review on Halloween. This year's results was The Haunted School, which came out of left field, but in a good way.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The one video that was really missing from the Internet - a lethal combination of video game reviewing and baking. It's the Kimble Justice review of Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus!

Fun times were had with this, although it was definitely a challenge...I do NOT recommend EVER filming in a tiny kitchen with loads of outside light pouring in, in the middle of the day. Trying to colour correct it all afterwards was very difficult, and it's hardly consistent (especially seeing as close to the whole video was shot in handheld, giving it a...I dunno, Gonzo baking feel? Have you guys ever watched the Drunk Cook?)...it's come out ok though - even though there are some shots that were essential and drat near unsalvageable. I'm happy that the camera bitch I was using had the wherewithal to simply walk around and take shots of whatever pleased him while I was busy just doing general baking crap - that ended up giving me lots of things to cut to and up the pace with. I'm less happy that he 1) broke one of my cake tins and 2) didn't tell me about the chocolate slathered over my chin...but I can forgive.

And yes, the cake is a total mess. Talking to the camera, baking a cake and directing a camera at the same time is surprisingly hard. I don't want to go into the multitude of baking mistakes and general sins that went into the making of this cake (hell, you can see a bunch of them in the vid)...tasted ok though. A little heavy, but definitely chocolatey.

As for the "Why?" thing - well, it is a big part of one of the games. Plus, seeing as they're visual novels and not exactly what one would call prime video material, I felt something like this was needed to spruce things up. Great games though - certainly not the sort of standard you'd expect from the Visual Novel genre...Christine Love's a drat good writer.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

http://blip.tv/phelous/halloweenie-the-best-costumes-6673190
I think this is the last one

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

It might just be the last for really reals unfortunately. I'm not just saying this because I'm dating Phelan, Halloweenie is some of the funniest stuff he's ever done. If you guys haven't been watching you're missing out.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
New Best of the Worst is out.

http://redlettermedia.com/best-of-the-worst-night-beast-trick-or-treat-and-skull-forest/

The ending gave me goosed bumps.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Speaking of Goosebumps, Part 2 of Jontron's review is up now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Miss Wallace posted:

It might just be the last for really reals unfortunately.

It's a hard thing to find material for. Shame to see it go but it's understandable.

EDIT: \/ Then that's really a shame. It's funny stuff.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 31, 2013

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

It's a hard thing to find material for. Shame to see it go but it's understandable.

It's not that, the views just aren't there compared to the work put in.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Miss Wallace posted:

It's not that, the views just aren't there compared to the work put in.

OH well, at least he tried.

E: :spooky:

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 1, 2013

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Bummer. Halloweenie was the best. :yohoho:

EDIT:
never mind, beaten

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 1, 2013

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Brad is back with a horrifying dubbed movie from Mexico that's probably from the same guy who did the Santa Claus movie from MST3K: http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/10/31/little-red-riding-hood-and-the-monsters.aspx

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

This video has inspired me to watch the great films of Len Kabasinski.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
RedLetterMedia continues to have the best delivery. Their gags just catch me off-guard.

• Locked thread