Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

Secret Sweater posted:

Actually, money is their problem. Renting/Buying additional servers to deal with the increased load costs money. And incredibly, their ultimate goal isn't making GW2 running perfectly for you. Their goal is to make it run just well enough that they don't need to spend a penny more than necessary and pocket as much profit as possible since the entity paying their bills is a public company with investors and has the ultimate say in what their budget is for certain aspects of the game.

First, they need to figure out what the problem is and what the most cost effective way to address it is. Are they going to pay employees to see if they can optimize code and make it run smoother on their current systems? Is it cheaper to throw more money at a bunch of servers running the current code? Evidently it's the former, given their recent post saying optimizations were coming soon.

I know its hard to get an understanding of how businesses operate if you're huffing fumes off of your fedora collection all day, but to answer your question, no, Devon Carver can't hop on the phone and call up the datacenter and order some sick new Cray supercomputers on his NCSOFT employee credit card so he can go back to designing new hairstyles.

Amen. That was a very well reasoned, non-spectrum analysis. It isn't ever as easy as throw more money at capacity (see HealthCare.gov)

The problem of handling big rear end battles is an old one. I used to lead 200 man relic raids in DAOC. You wanna talk unplayable? Heh, try pointing your face at the ground, and hoping to god that your heals were actually doing something.

In the end they might have to get creative like CCP did in EVE by slowing down the server heartbeat in order to have a slower but lag free battle. Granted that solution might not work for this game, but illustrates the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Secret Sweater posted:

To be fair, money could possibly "fix" this problem. What some games have done in the past is buy the additional processing power to alleviate the symptoms while they work on the optimization aspect of it. Once they patch that, then they dial back their computing power. Anet just didn't choose to go that route, so here we are.

A fair point, yes. But, even in this case, they aren't upgrading or improving anything, just simply broadening their processing power. I will agree with you that yes, this can and does work, but as you state, it's a temporary solution to a long-term problem. Still, they are telling us what's going on, which is a far cry above the poo poo that other game companies pulls on us (EA being a prime example).

Tarq posted:

In the end they might have to get creative like CCP did in EVE by slowing down the server heartbeat in order to have a slower but lag free battle. Granted that solution might not work for this game, but illustrates the point.

That actually wouldn't be so bad if handled correctly, though I'm sure a ton of twitch-gamers would cause a shitstorm about it.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 28, 2013

Cephid
Dec 28, 2012

Sole.Sushi posted:

That actually wouldn't be so bad if handled correctly, though I'm sure a ton of twitch-gamers would cause a shitstorm about it.

The tears would be fantastic.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Secret Sweater posted:

To be fair, money could possibly "fix" this problem. What some games have done in the past is buy the additional processing power to alleviate the symptoms while they work on the optimization aspect of it. Once they patch that, then they dial back their computing power. Anet just didn't choose to go that route, so here we are.

It's also possible it might be engine/code related things and their processing power might be more than enough, even if throwing more money at the problem could fix it. None of us here really know enough about the server architecture or code of GW2 to say one way or the other unfortunately.

Tivac is probably laughing at us right now.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 28, 2013

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Scarlet strikes again! :argh:

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
To MysteriousThing:

I really am put-off by your paragraph posting style. Please shorten it.

Sincerely,

A concerned lurker

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

BombermanX posted:

To MysteriousThing:

I really am put-off by your paragraph posting style. Please shorten it.

Sincerely,

A concerned lurker

Please cite where your grievances have been formally lodged. There has been a disturbing trend of complainers with issues who have not done so properly.

MysteriousThing
Jul 21, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!

Secret Sweater posted:

Please cite where your grievances have been formally lodged. There has been a disturbing trend of complainers with issues who have not done so properly.

In spite of your satire this is actually true. I even made a video that poked fun at the serious pitfalls and slippery slopes of blind complaint systems. This is a problem with all online communities or social entities that lack a formal complaint logging system.

I can say "We've been getting some complaints" and never actually face any oversight or consequence for improper complaint management. In a way it's worse than scapegoating because with this specific form of social corruption you can quite literally get rid of anybody with no evidence or documentation whatsoever.

It's harder to do this with a non-person entity like a policy or rule, unless you tie a strawman to the rule or policy and polarize people against said strawman.

This is why I actually like Arena-net's complaint system. There is multiple layers or tiers of oversight and management that can scale up or down as needed. The chat history of any specific character isn't openly available to any support person unless otherwise specified. They have really strong mechanisms in place to protect privacy and avoid bias in judgment.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Aspergers is some poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh my god shut up.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

MysteriousThing posted:

In spite of your satire this is actually true. I even made a video that poked fun at the serious pitfalls and slippery slopes of blind complaint systems. This is a problem with all online communities or social entities that lack a formal complaint logging system.

I can say "We've been getting some complaints" and never actually face any oversight or consequence for improper complaint management. In a way it's worse than scapegoating because with this specific form of social corruption you can quite literally get rid of anybody with no evidence or documentation whatsoever.

It's harder to do this with a non-person entity like a policy or rule, unless you tie a strawman to the rule or policy and polarize people against said strawman.

This is why I actually like Arena-net's complaint system. There is multiple layers or tiers of oversight and management that can scale up or down as needed. The chat history of any specific character isn't openly available to any support person unless otherwise specified. They have really strong mechanisms in place to protect privacy and avoid bias in judgment.

Brutal

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Please shut the gently caress up. That video was directly related to your complaints about being kicked from GS for being creepy and horrible, and your very careful wording doesn't change the fact that you uploaded it the day after you were kicked and I foolishly spent some time in mumble with you trying to politely explain how you had been alienating people.

You spent a full hour telling me that Goon Squad was going down a slippery slope because if we all banded together to kick somebody we've set a precedent where anybody can be kicked by group consensus. Not once did you pause to consider you were kicked because you're a horrible creepy attenion-whoring douchebag and everybody is uncomfortable around you.

I might be probated for this but it's worth it UGH.

MelonDude
Oct 7, 2004

help I am knocked out by that faggot traitor his name is GEORGE MELONS

gently caress you

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

You spent a full hour telling me that Goon Squad was going down a slippery slope because if we all banded together to kick somebody we've set a precedent where anybody can be kicked by group consensus.

Ignoring specific context here (and it's hard to ignore it when you all keep quoting its posts), what exactly is the problem with this? Guilds are private clubs and if there is consensus that somebody should be removed from the club then I don't really see how that is a slippery slope to anything except an acceptable exercise of privacy.

I mean this isn't tyrannical segregation of public schools here, we're talking about being kicked out of a virtual club by popular demand.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Ignoring specific context here (and it's hard to ignore it when you all keep quoting its posts), what exactly is the problem with this? Guilds are private clubs and if there is consensus that somebody should be removed from the club then I don't really see how that is a slippery slope to anything except an acceptable exercise of privacy.

I mean this isn't tyrannical segregation of public schools here, we're talking about being kicked out of a virtual club by popular demand.

The problem is that logic is only applicable to people who are rational and sane, and not people who are creepy weirdos.

MysteriousThing
Jul 21, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
I am not sure if anybody else is aware of this but NVIDIA ShaowPlay is not in beta and can be used to record 1080p 60fps Guild Wars 2. The shadowplay is always recording in a lightweight fashion so you can toggle the keybind 5 mins after you did something amazing in WvW and upload it so people don't claim it never happened.

I am looking forward to trying this out during a large zerg v zerg.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
Does this mean we get more of your horrible WvW videos?

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

MysteriousThing posted:

Mysterious, I think I get it, but I think you're going about it the wrong way. Humor me for a moment here: (and I'm really sorry if this off-topic discussion is bothering anyone let me know and I'll stop)

Lets say this proper complaint system were in place with Goon Squad. Hypothetically speaking, Goon Squad Central Bureaucracy has received fifteen(15) complaints for Guild Wars 2 player MysteriousThing, most common reason cited: is creepy and obnoxious. A disciplinary council headed up by Arus and various other Goon leadership(many donuts were had) came to the regretful decision that this many complaints in such a short period of time mandated immediate dismissal from the guild per GSCB Code of Conduct Pub. L - Subtitle D7 (§§ 598 –769 ).

The people presented their case to the decision makers, the decision makers agreed and you were removed from the guild. The question I pose to you is, what now?

MysteriousThing
Jul 21, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!

John Lightning posted:

Does this mean we get more of your horrible WvW videos?

Well they are horrible because xsplit captures at the driver level. Shadowplay captures at the hardware level which is as close to what you see when playing as you can get. The overall quality will be much higher and easier to edit.

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012
Is this still going on with Oldsmeller? Oldsmeller just tough it up as a loss and move on (or transfer servers). Its time to man up and let it all go.

Other note: If you want a really easy way of getting exotic gear and have lots of badges you can go to one of the WvW vendors in Mag BL and get gear (Rabid, Knights, Zerker, Carrion, Cleric, etc). The prices are some silver and badges (one piece is a gold I think).

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
They still haven't added a good way to spend badges. I had 8,000 badges or so when I stopped playing last, and the only thing I really could spend them on when I came back was WvW levels. And I ran out of laurels long before I ran out of badges.

MysteriousThing
Jul 21, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!

Elysiume posted:

They still haven't added a good way to spend badges. I had 8,000 badges or so when I stopped playing last, and the only thing I really could spend them on when I came back was WvW levels. And I ran out of laurels long before I ran out of badges.

Blueprints are the best way I can see right now to spend wvw badges.

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012
Yea sitting on 5k badges at the moment. Hopefully the next WvW update will have something.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MysteriousThing posted:

Blueprints are the best way I can see right now to spend wvw badges.
I have like 1000 pieces of siege from when I compulsively ran JPs. :(

MysteriousThing
Jul 21, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!

Elysiume posted:

I have like 1000 pieces of siege from when I compulsively ran JPs. :(

If you don't care about parting with them, send them to either of the commanders.
Alternatively if you want too, you can send them to me and I will use skill points to convert them to superior and then use them for my purposes.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

MysteriousThing posted:

convert them to superior and then use them for my purposes.

read: sell them for gold on the TP

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Everyone's forgetting my advice already to completely ignore Mysterious/Old Smeller. Do not engage! Notice how he ignores all of the posts calling him out? Just do the same thing, except ignore every single one of his posts.

MysteriousThing
Jul 21, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!

hampig posted:

read: sell them for gold on the TP

Well in actuality, selling them right now would be foolish.
Very Foolish

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

MysteriousThing posted:

Oh hi.

3 days later coming off your probation and you post this.. thing. You're done, don't ever post in this thread again and never ever do any passive aggressive reporting of people that call you out for having asperger's.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
MysteriousThing emailed me:

quote:

Please stop abusing your authority to enforce your personal vendetta. You have made it very clear to me that you are not emotionally stable enough to make rational and reasonable decisions in the context of moderation.

I suggest you stop targeting me and actively looking for even the slightest reason to probate my account. You clearly are one of the worst sperglords SA as a community has to offer.

Sorry for being such a sperg y'all, I'll try to be better in the future by being more stable and rational in the context of my moderation.

And yes I am importing drama but gently caress it, I'm tired of this crap.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

In before I eat my probation, Louis you are a real American hero

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

Louisgod posted:

Sorry for being such a sperg y'all, I'll try to be better in the future by being more stable and rational in the context of my moderation.

And yes I am importing drama but gently caress it, I'm tired of this crap.

You make us all proud.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch

quote:

You clearly are one of the worst sperglords SA as a community has to offer.

Coming from the other worst sperglord on SA, this is a low blow.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

I am literally doing this right now.

By "this" I mean being a Hylek.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

klockwerk posted:

Coming from the other worst sperglord on SA, this is a low blow.

I think you just called me a sperglord you son of a bitch

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

MelonDude posted:

gently caress you

The rude dude with a 'tude.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Louisgod posted:

[snip]

What was he hoping to accomplish by doing this? If he wanted you to rethink your decision, insulting you is a poor way of going about it.

On-topic: What do the cool kids run on their GS guards? I can't use hammer, it's just so clunky and boring to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

On-topic: What do the cool kids run on their GS guards? I can't use hammer, it's just so clunky and boring to me.

Yeah I'd like some advice too. I picked up my 27 guardian I left sitting for 9+ months and have no idea why I stopped playing it (warrior alt probably), it's pretty drat fun. What's a good leveling build? I checked the GW2 forums from what I could gather their advice was "do whatever you want". I think at 80 it'll be an open world/dungeon pve guy.

• Locked thread