Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

While what my heart truly yearns for is Machinarium 2 or Botanicula 2, I will definitely be getting this.

But (and this sounds stupid even as I type it) I hope they don't have the character(s) with human faces like they had in the first two Samarosts. It was always a bit jarring against the rest of the art style I thought. Even the easter egg faces of the creators in Botanicula irked me a bit. Hardly a deal breaker though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

RadicalR posted:

Holy crap. I remember this game. Yeah, it would be awesome to see a LP for this game before all the websites disappear. It wasn't a bad IDEA, just... well...
Some puzzles are just real stinkers as you say.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I decided to follow through on my threat and started an LP for Missing over here.

Now I need to start a tally sheet of the number of times they say "esoteric" in this game..

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I picked up a boxed copy of Toonstruck last year at some point, and I've finally gotten around to starting it. It works awesome in ScummVM.

Just want to say, I'm really enjoying it so far. The animation is really nice, the UI is actually pretty good, the voice work is decent (and Christopher Lloyd is just awesome anyway), and so far, it's been free of bullshit adventure game logic puzzles. This game never seemed to be that well known, which is crazy considering the cast, but I would definitely recommend it if you can get ahold of it.

Ahh yay a convert to Toonstruck :3:

It is absolutely my favourite adventure game of all time and I'm glad it works in SCUMMVM these days because running it in DOSBOX was a huge pain in the rear end. The game really is a who's who of famous voice actors, it's wonderful.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hakkesshu posted:

Seriously Samorost 2 is the most :3: game I've ever played, so I can't wait. I love that dog.

If you've not played Botanicula, do. It's the :kimchi: to Samorost's :3:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There's a Halloween sale on Steam now, some good adventure games there. Also just realized from the sale that I Have No Mouth is now also on Steam.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream must have just been added this week, I saw it on sale on GOG in an email too. It's $2.99 there, so just a little more.

Has anyone played Dracula: Origins? I don't know why I keep getting drawn to these pre-rendered adventure games that usually end up underwhelming me. I have $2.82 fake Steam money from selling dumb cards and stuff burning a hole in my wallet, I'm thinking of either getting that or Whispered World. Or IHNMAIMS, or whatever that acronym would be.

e: I don't know if pre-rendered is the term I'm looking for, what I'm thinking of is the games that use 3D models for characters and objects as opposed to being hand drawn and more cartoonish. For example, Still Life versus The Curse of Monkey Island (not the best comparison).

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 30, 2013

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lazy Game Reviews covered Harvester today. He actually said nice things about it which is odd, but whatever. I bought it as more of a curiosity and haven't finished it.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
I love adventure games, but I really haven't played many of the classic ones.

So I downloaded the first King's Quest from GOG, and while I was able to solve some of the puzzles by myself, other things are pretty ridiculous. The gnome puzzle especially.

I find that in a lot of the older games, I'm unsure of what the game is even capable of. Especially with parser-based games. I'm unsure of what the game understands, vocabulary-wise, so I end up trying less things out than I usually would. For instance, is there a difference between looking "at" something and looking "in" something (there is in KQ)? I am surprised at how a much the parser does understand, especially after playing some of the very earliest text adventures.

Still, I'm finding it a lot more compelling than I thought I would. I haven't stumbled on many of the random deaths, but it is pretty obnoxious that you get place the game in an unwinnable state over the most mundane things.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Some would say that the old Sierra games aren't really a good example of good early adventure games but just a historical curiosity.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Does anyone remember the old World Builder games on the Mac? There were a ton of old graphical and text-parse adventure games made for these. Some of the best were by Ray Dunakin, Rocket enthusiast and World Builder extraordinaire.

http://www.semitech.com/marc/ray.html

I've been itching to play these again but haven't been able to figure out how to make disc images for Mini vMac yet. But I have fond, fond memories of all of them. :)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Al! posted:

Some would say that the old Sierra games aren't really a good example of good early adventure games but just a historical curiosity.

I think Space Quest 1 is okay, SQ2 is balls, and SQ3 is fantastic. I never cared as much for KQ. On a side note, the SQ1 VGA remake is really loving great (despite keeping the Sierra Is An rear end in a top hat unwinnable situations) and I don't get why so many people on adventure game sites rag on it. It had the best death messages/animations and jokes of the series IMO, and that's 90% of what Space Quest was about.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Shine posted:

I think Space Quest 1 is okay, SQ2 is balls, and SQ3 is fantastic. I never cared as much for KQ. On a side note, the SQ1 VGA remake is really loving great (despite keeping the Sierra Is An rear end in a top hat unwinnable situations) and I don't get why so many people on adventure game sites rag on it. It had the best death messages/animations and jokes of the series IMO, and that's 90% of what Space Quest was about.

This explains a lot as SQ2 was my only real experience with the series. I played some of it a long time ago, hated it, and never touched any of the others because of it. Those stupid death-mazes. :argh:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Gaspy Conana posted:

This explains a lot as SQ2 was my only real experience with the series. I played some of it a long time ago, hated it, and never touched any of the others because of it. Those stupid death-mazes. :argh:

I don't blame you, SQ2 was brutal and not funny enough to make up for it. Try SQ3 for parser games or SQ1 VGA for point-and-click. They are also hard, but more fair and much, much funnier.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shine posted:

I never cared as much for KQ.

The King's Quest series is objectively awful. It's a bunch of random fairy tale and mythology references thrown together without any consistency or purpose, absolutely terrible puzzle design, bad dialogue, amateur voice acting and basically no redeeming features at all. The least bad one is Kings Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow and you're still much better off watching the Retsupurae of it than actually playing it.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Quidnose posted:

Does anyone remember the old World Builder games on the Mac? There were a ton of old graphical and text-parse adventure games made for these. Some of the best were by Ray Dunakin, Rocket enthusiast and World Builder extraordinaire.

I've been itching to play these again but haven't been able to figure out how to make disc images for Mini vMac yet. But I have fond, fond memories of all of them. :)

Look for an old version of Stuffit Expander. Also, check out these links:

World Builder
Louise Hope's games
More World Builder games (the webmaster threw a shitfit and deleted everything when Apple stopped supporting Mac Classic, so thank god for the Wayback Machine)

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 31, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Tiggum posted:

The King's Quest series is objectively awful. It's a bunch of random fairy tale and mythology references thrown together without any consistency or purpose, absolutely terrible puzzle design, bad dialogue, amateur voice acting and basically no redeeming features at all. The least bad one is Kings Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow and you're still much better off watching the Retsupurae of it than actually playing it.

I had this when I was a young lad, and after playing through most of the Lucas Arts catalogue (which quickly became some of my favourite games) I couldn't understand why Kings Quest hated me so much :saddowns: I did enjoy the walk speed slider though.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

Al! posted:

Yeah, this is more of why I'm playing them - for the historical context. Text adventures at the time were far more sophisticated, but I'm enjoying testing out the boundaries of what was possible back in the mid-80s.

Speaking of text adventures, I was sad to see the latest interactive fiction thread hit the archives already. Those threads never seem to last very long. It's probably a combination of how slow the discussion moves on those threads, and how quickly the Games forum moves in general.

Is this an appropriate place to discuss IF as well?

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

Gaspy Conana posted:

FYI, Space Quest 2 has a pretty awesome fan remake in the classic Sierra VGA style: http://www.infamous-adventures.com/sq2remake/

I remember SQ5 being the best of the series but you can't really go wrong with any besides the original versions of SQ1 and SQ2.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Just an FYI to Blackwell fans: Blackwell Deception (the 4th chapter) is currently free from Wadjet Eye.

Just go to buy it at their website and use promo code "BOO" at checkout.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

epmode posted:

I remember SQ5 being the best of the series but you can't really go wrong with any besides the original versions of SQ1 and SQ2.

macnbc posted:

Just an FYI to Blackwell fans: Blackwell Deception (the 4th chapter) is currently free from Wadjet Eye.

Just go to buy it at their website and use promo code "BOO" at checkout.

OH COME ON. I come here to post these two things and you bastards- SCREW YOU GUYS.

Anyway, Blackwell Deception is fantastic and it's designed to be accessible to newbies, you should all definitely get it. And I don't see why we couldn't discuss IF here.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Tiggum posted:

The King's Quest series isn't without merit. I like the open-ended feel of the first one and find it one of the most playable aside from a couple godawful puzzles. King's Quest III is one of the most stressful, paranoia-inducing games I've ever played, yet is also one of the most logical and "fair" in terms of its puzzles, and I consider it the high point of the series. The worst thing about it was its absolutely torturous copy protection system, and that's what the AGD fan version is for.

King's Quest II was a pretty bad game and is the most deserving of the fairy tale/mythology reference mishmash reputation, but there's a very thorough and impressive AGD fan remake that manages to pull a cohesive story out of it. It gets too fanfictiony in parts and the (thankfully optional) voice-acting is dire, but it's definitely worth playing.

King's Quest V, and to a slightly lesser extent IV, though, are the embodiment of everything that was ever wrong with the point & click genre and deserve all the hatred they get, and then some.

Edit: AGD, not AVG. Christ.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 2, 2013

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
You know, I thought the KQ games were really good for the pre-Internet days. Same goes for Space Quest. In contrast to the LucasArts games, which I've always thought were a bit on the easy side, I actually felt quite proud of myself for beating (some of) the SQ and KQ games!

Those games (coupled with Myst and Riven, too) also made me so proficient at adventure games in general that I can actually beat almost any one of them without breaking a sweat these days. :)

That kind of puzzle design doesn't make much sense in our days of internet walkthroughs though, that much I can agree with.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I've never played any of the Gabriel Knight series. Would you guys suggest starting with the first?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Gaspy Conana posted:

I've never played any of the Gabriel Knight series. Would you guys suggest starting with the first?

Yeah. It's the best Sierra adventure game I've played (yet to play QfG though).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gaspy Conana posted:

Yes, it's by far the best one.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

2 is pretty alright, especially for an FMV game. I struggle to like 3 even though I'm fully invested in the story by this point.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yes, start with 1. The Gabriel Knights are really good and actually have good plots and characters that you want to see from the beginning.

I think I actually like 2 the most. The FMV stuff is corny but the writing is strong enough to make up for it.

3 from the sound of it is really uneven and I can already tell you the first half of the game is bad. I hear it gets a million times better when you start playing as Grace in the second half but I lost my save file right before that. Need to get back to that soon.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Quidnose posted:

Oh, Quidnose, I forgot - as well as an old version of the Mac version of Stuffit Expander, you'll need HFVExplorer to get the archives onto a virtual drive.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 4, 2013

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So Daedalic Entertainment is now up on a Humble Weekly Bundle.. I actually haven't played any of their games. Is this a good pack?

How does Daedalic compare to others like Telltale or Wadjet Eye? What are their games like anyway?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

macnbc posted:

So Daedalic Entertainment is now up on a Humble Weekly Bundle.. I actually haven't played any of their games. Is this a good pack?

How does Daedalic compare to others like Telltale or Wadjet Eye? What are their games like anyway?

They're... German.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

macnbc posted:

For $6 it's pretty awesome value. I don't know about the Shakespeare games, but the rest is solid at worst and pretty good at best.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Megazver posted:

They're... German.

Germans have been keeping the point'n'click genre alive for the past decade or so. :colbert:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Germans have been keeping the point'n'click genre alive for the past decade or so. :colbert:

Yeah, but, um. I feel there is a certain something that most German point'n'clickers share that is not quite a turn-on for me. Uh. Hmmm. I suppose I feel that the recent Telltale and Wadjet Eye stuff has tried to move into puzzle naturalism and immersion, where you identify and almost roleplay as the protagonist and the German stuff feels like it's still stuck in the nineties. The puzzles are there for puzzles' sake, the humor is a bit off and often forced and the protagonists are "wacky" and unlikable and you not so much identify with them than observe their "hilarious" hijinks.

It's not a universal rule. I mostly enjoyed the first Book of Unwritten Tales game and the first episode and a half of The Raven from King Art Games, but Daedalic's stuff I feel is typically German in its execution.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The only one I've played is Edna and Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes, but I really liked it. The characters are a lot of oddball adventure game caricatures, but I thought the twist was really fun; you play Lilly, this sweet looking, seemingly naive girl who leaves a swath of death and destruction in her wake as she moves through the game. One of the highlights is the narrator who gleefully describes all the terrible things that happen. The puzzles can be obtuse and have that wacky adventure game logic, but the game itself makes fun of it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Here's some keys for the undecided. One per person would be appreciated so everyone's got a chance.

A New Beginning - Final Cut: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=nEXGt8chzP87s3Un

Edna & Harvey - Harvey's New Eyes: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=6ABz8ZuTrEX5HRY5

The Whispered World: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=RRG3TePCKqEBwkbu

The Dark Eye - Chains of Satinav: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=xCDHSCfmFdR5y7qG

Deponia: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=aXr7DdnDEXE8zBk7

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

gschmidl posted:

Here's some keys for the undecided. One per person would be appreciated so everyone's got a chance.

Hey, thanks dude! I picked up Edna and Harvey, I've been wanting to give it a shot for awhile now. When I get the bundle I'll return the favor.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Took the Dark Eye, thanks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I already bought Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes when it was on sale on Steam, so here's another key for whoever wants it.

Edna & Harvey - Harvey's New Eyes: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=dVz6GUwPnXXVREqb

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You can have my Whispered World, I suppose:

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=nkKcvvZ844vK48bG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thanks! I got this one. Does anyone have any opinions on that Dark Eye game? I already played its sequel, Memoria, and I was just wondering if it was worth going back and playing through Chains of Satinav also.