Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
http://www.hwcompare.com/15861/radeon-hd-7970-vs-radeon-r9-280x/
HD7970 or R9280x? I cannot, for the life of me, guess the future price fluctuations. Are either of those okay to stick with the i5-4570 or should I drop something else a bit beefier? I don't want my CPU being my bottleneck. I want to throw this thing together in the next few months, for time frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
7970 GHz Edition is basically a 280X. (Although the 280X can output to 3 DVI monitors, and the clock speeds vary a tiny bit).

Find the one you want with the best cooler/overclock. They're functionally equivalent.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Ah thanks, I thought so. Ten percent difference in clock speed, but in the other there's a higher texel rate. :sigh: Time to read pages of reviews for the finer points, maybe a fan breaks more on one or whatnot.
Was wondering if there was a tip or some kind of knowledge that would help me decide either way, because I have an absolute inability to make decisions that are close like this. :haw: Whichever GPU chooses me, I'll just throw an EVO that everyone loves, I've read it fits okay in micro ATX cases.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I just tested ShadowPlay on my GTX680. Works perfectly, as advertised. I love it!

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

td4guy posted:

I just tested ShadowPlay on my GTX680. Works perfectly, as advertised. I love it!

Yeah, just tried it out with some Tomb Raider (2013) - a game that I can run at max settings (*apart* from TressFX, which I leave turned off) for consistent 60FPS at 1080p, but just about. You know what? Whatever the capture overhead is, it was so low I wasn't even sure it was actually capturing until I dropped out of the game and saw 10-minutes worth of video.

1080p, 60fps capture, with no apparent impact on running performance at all that I could spot - and the video quality is fantastic. All in all, better than anything I've tried previously. Very impressed!

Edit: Also, I need to play Tomb Raider again :stare:

magimix fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 28, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
If the drat 290x doesn't come back in stock by Wednesday I might have to make a bad decision and order a 780 Classified.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Paradox Personified posted:

Ah thanks, I thought so. Ten percent difference in clock speed, but in the other there's a higher texel rate. :sigh: Time to read pages of reviews for the finer points, maybe a fan breaks more on one or whatnot.
Was wondering if there was a tip or some kind of knowledge that would help me decide either way, because I have an absolute inability to make decisions that are close like this. :haw: Whichever GPU chooses me, I'll just throw an EVO that everyone loves, I've read it fits okay in micro ATX cases.

It's literally the same GPU. If you get the don't like the R9-280X's clock deficit, overclock it. Since it's the exact same chip, it's almost a gimme that you can match the 7970 GE's clocks.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

magimix posted:

1080p, 60fps capture, with no apparent impact on running performance at all that I could spot - and the video quality is fantastic. All in all, better than anything I've tried previously. Very impressed!
I kind of want to know how it is in comparison to Bandicam which is a pretty drat good screen capture program that doesn't have a lot of overhead.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It does all encoding using the GPU's built-in h.264 hardware encoder (think QuickSync) and stores a 5 minute backlog in RAM. The only overhead is transfers to RAM and, when recording, writing to disk. It's pretty loving boss!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Factory Factory posted:

It does all encoding using the GPU's built-in h.264 hardware encoder (think QuickSync) and stores a 5 minute backlog in RAM. The only overhead is transfers to RAM and, when recording, writing to disk. It's pretty loving boss!
Yeah so I imagine it'd be even less than Bandicam, which tbh if you have an i5 or something decent has little to no impact on almost every game I tested it on.

Either way it's pretty loving cool.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
What is the 290 non-X going to be? Are we talking 7950 > 7970 difference, ie. very small, but big price difference?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Shadowplay is indeed really nice. Its one of those things you never thought you wanted until you have it. Its seamless and incurs no performance loss. My only complaint right now is that it records at a strict 1080p. I understand that doing 1600p would mean massive files, but at least give us the option to record at 1200p so that the screen ratio stays the same.

Here is a review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaJdjSA_fas

Animal fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 28, 2013

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

real_scud posted:

Yeah so I imagine it'd be even less than Bandicam, which tbh if you have an i5 or something decent has little to no impact on almost every game I tested it on.

Either way it's pretty loving cool.

For my part, I'm definitely at the 'casual' end of the streaming/capturing spectrum. If you are serious about capturing/streaming, I imagine other, pre-existing solutions are more suitable - by virtue of the tools they provide, the control they offer, or the way they'll integrate with other favoured services. But for me, the continuous-rolling window is nice for saving an awesome gaming moment when I am *very* likely not to have set out to stream or capture before I started playing a game. There is zero overheard, and requires nothing more from me than a key-combo and a few gigs of space on my SSD.

Hell, it had its first legit use 'in anger' only earlier when I killed a boss in a game and was quite pleased with how I did it. Now saved for posterity :black101:

magimix fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 28, 2013

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Factory Factory posted:

I just did two 10-minute recordings on my GTX 760. I tried Guild Wars 2 and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. GW2 had a few stutters but I only just started so I'm not sure if that's related to latency or something else. Castlevania on the other hand had zero stutters and it seemed to maintain 60fps the entire time.

Playback looked excellent. The only obvious tell that it was a recording and not my actual gameplay was the aspect ratio difference since I game in 16:10.

I'm pretty impressed, though the current 10-minute limit (I think it's 10 minutes even in manual mode, though you can record multiple clips in a row by stopping and starting recording) makes it a bit of a novelty.

Animal posted:

Shadowplay is indeed really nice. Its one of those things you never thought you wanted until you have it. Its seamless and incurs no performance loss. My only complaint right now is that it records at a strict 1080p. I understand that doing 1600p would mean massive files, but at least give us the option to record at 1200p so that the screen ratio stays the same.

Here is a review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaJdjSA_fas

Yeah, gaming at 1200p and then watching playback at 1080p is a bit jarring.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
So if you play below 1080p its basically useless?

Tengort
Sep 4, 2009
If you have an SSD I would recommend moving the %TEMP% directory off of it if you haven't already. Shadowplay will use that directory to store it's buffer even if the output is to be written elsewhere.

edit: not sure why I said "I would recommend". I don't care about extra writes on my SSD, but someone out there might.

Tengort fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 28, 2013

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

So if you play below 1080p its basically useless?

I believe it upsamples to 1080p

Tengort posted:

If you have an SSD I would recommend moving the %TEMP% directory off of it if you haven't already. Shadowplay will use that directory to store it's buffer even if the output is to be written elsewhere.

I thought it buffered to RAM?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

TyrantWD posted:

This is exactly why the 290X was not a "meh" card as many people were claiming. The performance/price ratio it brought to the table was incredible, and was going to force a response from Nvidia. At 499 base MSRP, a factory OC'd 780 GTX is a good buy over the 290X unless you play at a very high resolution. I'm eager to see what Nvidia brings with the Ti that isn't already covered by the custom 780s and Titan.

Pretty sure everyone from the get-go acknowledged that it was both a great price:performance card on its own merits and, bonus, we'd see some strong price pressure on nVidia. The "meh" aspects are things that are still largely unknowns, like TrueAudio and Mantle - we have no real idea how extensively they'll be used, and so the big reveal amounts more to "hey look it's a big, fast card like the ones nVidia has too!" but it also runs really hot and yadda yadda. Nobody thought R9 290X wasn't a big deal, we were all nerding out on speculating w/r/t the nature of this generation and how far nVidia could come down on their GK110 parts from the moment the price came out. But there are some things that are good about it and some things that are not so good about it and it's okay to acknowledge the distinction.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Animal posted:

I believe it upsamples to 1080p

I thought it buffered to RAM?

If you're on a 16:10 resolution like 1680*1050 isn't it going to look like garbage?

You don't really have to worry about it writing to your SSD if you have the free space, either.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

If you're on a 16:10 resolution like 1680*1050 isn't it going to look like garbage?

You don't really have to worry about it writing to your SSD if you have the free space, either.

No, it does 1920x1200 -> 1080p just fine, at that's also 16:10 -> 16:9. Full-screen playback is just going to have some black bars that weren't there when playing at the top and bottom to shape the video accordingly.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

shymog posted:

No, it does 1920x1200 -> 1080p just fine, at that's also 16:10 -> 16:9. Full-screen playback is just going to have some black bars that weren't there when playing at the top and bottom to shape the video accordingly.

Not only will it have black bars, the image will also be shrunk vertically to accommodate for the reduction from 16:10 to 16:9.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
No difference for me compared to when using dxtory then. The 10 minute limit sucks though.

Is it recording mkvs that can be edited? How does quality and file size compare to Lagariths?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

it records to .mp4 that you can edit with the program of your choice. Video quality is actually pretty good except for a bit muddier colors. Filze size is about 1.2GB for 10 minutes 1080p 60fps on high quality.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
That's crazy, a 10 minute clip from dxtory with Lagariths is about 10-12gb at 1280*800

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

That's crazy, a 10 minute clip from dxtory with Lagariths is about 10-12gb at 1280*800

I'm sure it varies in terms of the disposition of what you are capturing. I nabbed a 5m clip from Dark Souls, and that was 1.9gig for 1080p 60fps. My clips from Tomb Raider are roughly 1.6gigs each. Pretty drat good, to be sure.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Animal posted:

it records to .mp4 that you can edit with the program of your choice. Video quality is actually pretty good except for a bit muddier colors. Filze size is about 1.2GB for 10 minutes 1080p 60fps on high quality.

That's the size they quote for "low" quality, though. My ~6m clip I just did from Castlevania clocked in at 2.3GB. I deleted the earlier 10m clip but I'm pretty sure it was over 3GB.

Also, regarding my "it does 16:10 fine" spiel, I'm starting to think it doesn't and will require some post editing to fix the aspect rato.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, I hadn't realized it was 6/700 series only. I'm still 580GTX.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh gently caress, a price cut on the 770s? EVGA's Step-up is tempting me, since both my cards are still eligible... god dammit.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai
Quick question for you guys.

If I end up getting a GTX 780, should I go for the EVGA with the ACX cooler, or the MSI with the Twin Frozr cooler?

Most reviews I'm seeing on either are rather back and forth in terms of temps. The MSI does seem to be generally quieter though, but the EVGA isn't unbearable by any stretch.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Rahu X posted:

If I end up getting a GTX 780, should I go for the EVGA with the ACX cooler, or the MSI with the Twin Frozr cooler?

Most reviews I'm seeing on either are rather back and forth in terms of temps. The MSI does seem to be generally quieter though, but the EVGA isn't unbearable by any stretch.

Get the EVGA, it will (likely) have better warranty and support.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

MSI's option is quieter and apparently has slightly better performance, but I'm a huge fan of EVGA's warranties and support. Never had a problem with them, going all the way back to my old 8800 GTS.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm noticing the vouchers for Arkham Origins are selling on eBay for $35, I wonder how much the three game bundle could knock off a 770. Small chance someone might pay for the $100-off-a-Shield coupon as well.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Rahu X posted:

Personally I'd go for EVGA - nothing against MSI, but EVGA has had pretty consistently good build quality, great warranty, and some other nice perks (I think they still do their upgrade program as well). I've had a bunch of EVGA cards and never had issues with them, and most people have preferred them as a "go to" for Nvidia cards.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Gonkish posted:

Oh gently caress, a price cut on the 770s? EVGA's Step-up is tempting me, since both my cards are still eligible... god dammit.

I'm feeling that too. I don't really need a GTX 770, but I've got plenty of power supply headroom and that would definitely be helpful in smoothing out the one or two games I have that aren't letting me have all my eye-candy on.

I'm assuming step-up items won't come with the new game bundles, though, am I correct? If they would, my decision would be made.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm 99% sure they don't come with the game bundles. That said, apparently all you pay for the step-up is the difference in price between the two cards? If so, that's maybe $50 bucks per card for me... OH GOD WHY AM I THINKING ABOUT THIS? My power supply probably couldn't handle 770s in SLI anyway, so I don't think I'll bother.

Also, Shadowplay is finally out, and holy crap it's actually pretty awesome. Completely passive, and doesn't affect performance at all from what I can tell. It JustWorks(tm) and bam, h264 video for you to ruin in Vegas or whatever.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 29, 2013

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Gonkish posted:

Give in to it. :getin:

I'm curious to see if the 780 Ti's price compared to the 290x is justifiable.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 29, 2013

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

But 760s in SLI are already overkill for 1080p! I am hoping 1440p monitors will come down some in price before jumping on the Korean monitors and my PSU probably can't do two 770s and... and... GOD DAMMIT WHY IS THIS STILL A THING?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Gonkish posted:

But 760s in SLI are already overkill for 1080p! I am hoping 1440p monitors will come down some in price before jumping on the Korean monitors and my PSU probably can't do two 770s and... and... GOD DAMMIT WHY IS THIS STILL A THING?

:getin:. Do it. You know you want to.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Gonkish posted:

MSI's option is quieter and apparently has slightly better performance, but I'm a huge fan of EVGA's warranties and support. Never had a problem with them, going all the way back to my old 8800 GTS.

It's on the sub-780 models that the ACX cooler loses to other solutions. It was, at least as of launch roundups, widely reviewed as the quietest and the coolest after-market cooler for GTX 780s.

For overclockers, the EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX is also guaranteed 1.2V capable without any BIOS modification, and in addition to that has much higher factory boost behavior than other cards. There could have been some changes since launch in this regard, of course, but it's been a nice plus. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

magimix posted:

Yeah, just tried it out with some Tomb Raider (2013) - a game that I can run at max settings (*apart* from TressFX, which I leave turned off) for consistent 60FPS at 1080p, but just about. You know what? Whatever the capture overhead is, it was so low I wasn't even sure it was actually capturing until I dropped out of the game and saw 10-minutes worth of video.

Edit: Also, I need to play Tomb Raider again :stare:

How big is a one minute 1080p video?