Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've been caught backpacking in blizzards a couple of times. Once was actually sort of intentional. It started really coming down as I headed out, but I decided to go ahead with it anyway. The other snowed four days into the trip after constant rain, and I was encountering some white-out conditions while on foot.

All I can really say is if you're in an area where there's even the slightest chance of snow, be prepared before you go. Bring your warm and water-proof (cotton-free) layers. Also know how to navigate. Learn how to use your compass and map before you go, in the event the trail is completely buried.

As for if it happens, do what you can to stay dry and don't change locations unless you're sure you know you're navigating properly. I had to change plans at the last minute when I was in the white-outs. I wanted to take a steep side-slope traverse through one pass, but chose a more stable, flat-grounded pass instead. Not like I would have seen the views from the original goal anyway. Guess I just have to go back, at a warmer time of year. It's a 25km hike to get there, and I would prefer not to be snowed out again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I'm looking for a day hike in the Appalachians (tennessee preferred) with a really great summit view. This'll be in November. We're fairly experienced hikers so we can tackle trails at a good pace. Any suggestions?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Christmas came early! Been doing some light bike camping, but filled out my kit nicely with some Amazon credit.

Here's what I picked up;

Marmot Mica Rain Jacket

Sea-to-Summit Premium Silk Travel Liner with Pillow Insert

Injinji 2012 Performance Original Weight Mini Crew Toe Socks

Acadian Men's Merino Lightweight Boxer Brief

ALPS Mountaineering MicroFiber Camp Pillow

High Sierra 1.5 Liter Reservoir

Isolation Men's Merino Midweight 1/4 Zip

Outdoor Products 3-Pack Ultimate Dry Sack

Suisse Sport Adventurer Mummy Ultra-Compactable Sleeping Bag

High Sierra Classic Series 59401 Sentinel 65 Internal Frame Pack

Kershaw Chill Pocket Knife

ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 1 Tent: 1-Person 3-Season

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Trekker Mattress

Merrell Road Glove 2 (for running and easy trails where boots aren't needed)

Can't wait to test it all out this weekend!

Cute weiner :3:

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I'm looking for a day hike in the Appalachians (tennessee preferred) with a really great summit view. This'll be in November. We're fairly experienced hikers so we can tackle trails at a good pace. Any suggestions?

Max Patch, but you can drive up it most of the way.

The Smokies have nice stuff, but November means likely snow up at the 5-6k feet points.

Grayson Highlands are really pretty (in VA near Abingdon) and very open. Mt Rogers is there but no view at the top. Snow also may be a problem.

Thanks for the elaboration on lightning info too.

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 10, 2013

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Max Patch, but you can drive up it most of the way.

The Smokies have nice stuff, but November means likely snow up at the 5-6k feet points.

Grayson Highlands are really pretty (in VA near Abingdon) and very open. Mt Rogers is there but no view at the top. Snow also may be a problem.

Snow as in trail is closed or just "hope you have snow gear"?

Just a bit of Google and everytrail is pointing me at Mount Leconte and Myrtle Point as a good choice for Tennessee. The Grayson's seem great but VA is pushing how far we can go for this and would require eliminating a city from our visit list.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Snow as in trail is closed or just "hope you have snow gear"?

Just a bit of Google and everytrail is pointing me at Mount Leconte and Myrtle Point as a good choice for Tennessee. The Grayson's seem great but VA is pushing how far we can go for this and would require eliminating a city from our visit list.

Depends. I have heard the smokies can have several feet at a go. AT hikers this April mentioned having to do days of knee deep stuff in TN. Also with the shutdown the Smokies are closed.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

The Grayson's seem great but VA is pushing how far we can go for this and would require eliminating a city from our visit list.

Grayson is indeed straight dope, but if you can't make it up there, the Roan Highlands are in Tennessee. Those have several Appalachian balds, which typically lend themselves to sick views without trees to occlude your range of vision.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I agree, do the Roan Highlands. It's a beautiful area.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I too agree. Roan Highlands are great. You can park on the N side of Roan Mtn at carvers gap. Go N on the AT and get off at 19E. With two cars it would be a easy A-B hike of 15 miles.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Roan Highlands seems like it's about to leap to the top of the list for where to go. The views I'm seeing in some photos I've dug up are spectacular. Only one car is for sure going to be part of this hike, so it'll have to be a loop, but what I'm digging up on the trails we'd probably end up taking that wouldn't be undoable.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Anybody having luck/experience accessing national forests right now? I don't want to trek out to the sierra to find a locked gate in front of the fresh powder :qq:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

pizzadog posted:

Anybody having luck/experience accessing national forests right now? I don't want to trek out to the sierra to find a locked gate in front of the fresh powder :qq:

They're closed nationwide. You could probably hop a gate and trek out anyway, but it seems like a bit of a disservice to the Park Rangers who are furloughed or are having to work for free. I have a feeling that my forest service buddies would kick my rear end if they heard I went wandering around in their woods while they're struggling to put bread on the table. Considering how much I love those forests and know that they need to be managed, I'd show a little solidarity and find a state park instead.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I hiked in Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest on Saturday. "Closed" just meant that they weren't servicing the trailheads (BYO toilet paper) or collecting parking fees. Forest roads aren't going to be gated unless they were already gated for some other reason but ranger stations and campgrounds are definitely closed.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

The fiancee and I are supposed to head down to Arches and Canyonland National Parks towards the end of the month. Really hoping the fed has their poo poo together by then so the parks aren't closed.

Since I've only been down to the Moab area once as a tourist any recommendations on hikes we should see or little traveled trails with a great payoff?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

lavaca posted:

I hiked in Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest on Saturday. "Closed" just meant that they weren't servicing the trailheads (BYO toilet paper) or collecting parking fees. Forest roads aren't going to be gated unless they were already gated for some other reason but ranger stations and campgrounds are definitely closed.

That's the difference between a National Park and a National Forest. They're not really allowed to keep you out of the forests. One is a protected recreation area, the other is land being held by the government until it's ready for harvesting.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

TouchyMcFeely posted:

The fiancee and I are supposed to head down to Arches and Canyonland National Parks towards the end of the month. Really hoping the fed has their poo poo together by then so the parks aren't closed.

Since I've only been down to the Moab area once as a tourist any recommendations on hikes we should see or little traveled trails with a great payoff?

you might be in luck regardless

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/11/us/utah-parks-reopen/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Speleothing posted:

That's the difference between a National Park and a National Forest. They're not really allowed to keep you out of the forests. One is a protected recreation area, the other is land being held by the government until it's ready for harvesting.

That's the funny thing about National Forests. They're not a so much a conservation concern as they are a strategic wood bank.

Edit: I should clarify. Conservation is absolutely a part of what the Forest Service does with the goal of maintaining healthy forests. My understanding was that at the time of it's creation the interest was more to ensure a reserve of timber, but a little digging suggests that preservation was a goal at the time as well.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 11, 2013

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

TerminalSaint posted:

That's the funny thing about National Forests. They're not a so much a conservation concern as they are a strategic wood bank.

Eh, not exactly. The Forest Service's job is management...they're supposed to balance conservation and access for the public with resource utilization. There is a lot of conservation stuff that goes on and protecting the areas, but they don't have the authority to just act like the Parks do. The emphasis also kind of changes depending on the administration...

My dad worked for the Forest Service for over 30 years. They do what they can with what they're given, for the most part.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Thanks for that. It looks like the agreement is only for 10 days but hopefully the parks will either be open normally by then or Utah will extend the offer a bit longer.

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces
Awesome. Not only is RMNP opened up again, but it seems most of the trail & road closures on the eastern side of the park from the floods last month have been lifted. Highway 36 from Lyons to Estes is still closed until early December I think, since much of the pavement is sitting in the St. Vrain River, but access is reportedly good via the Peak to Peak Highway. I'm hoping to bring my camera up there next week to see how much the landscape has changed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

i_heart_ponies posted:

Awesome. Not only is RMNP opened up again, but it seems most of the trail & road closures on the eastern side of the park from the floods last month have been lifted. Highway 36 from Lyons to Estes is still closed until early December I think, since much of the pavement is sitting in the St. Vrain River, but access is reportedly good via the Peak to Peak Highway. I'm hoping to bring my camera up there next week to see how much the landscape has changed.

I'd love to see your photos from RMNP. I am dying to move out that way just so I can hike RMNP.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I just posted a Mountain Hardwear Gore-Tex jacket for $80 shipped in SA-Mart here. No idea what it's actually worth so maybe it's a good deal that someone in this thread might be interested in.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Easychair Bootson posted:

I just posted a Mountain Hardwear Gore-Tex jacket for $80 shipped in SA-Mart here. No idea what it's actually worth so maybe it's a good deal that someone in this thread might be interested in.
Posted in your SA Mart thread asking for size info.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
Has anyone been to the Gates of the Arctic? A few friends were talking about going there next year, but I haven't talked to anyone who had been there before. It looks like it is mostly tundra with a few glaciers here and there.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I'm down in Moab enjoying the parks and have got to say that Canyonlands is my new number two favorite park behind Zion.

The fiance and I did Arches on day one, which I had been to before and is nice but Canyonlands just blew us away.

We went back later in the evening to watch the sunset and do a little start gazing. By 6:30 most everyone was gone and by 7:00 we pretty much had the park to ourselves.

If you're ever looking to come out to southern Utah I really recommend late October. The crowds are much more reasonable and the weather is less extreme.

I also highly recommend driving West to East on I-70 if you can. Stop at the multiple viewing areas as well. You'll be blown away by the natural formations and if you're lucky will run across some natives selling some pretty cool jewelry and pottery under the "No vending or soliciting" signs.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Well, here's a picture of me from today. It was 16C, clear and sunny yesterday afternoon when my class hiked in, then a cold front and snowstorm moved in overnight. Winter is close! Also God bless Alberta weather.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That looks awesome.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Picnic Princess posted:

Well, here's a picture of me from today. It was 16C, clear and sunny yesterday afternoon when my class hiked in, then a cold front and snowstorm moved in overnight. Winter is close! Also God bless Alberta weather.

Did everyone have the right shoes for the job, considering the weather change? That is one case where the trail-runner crowd is at a disadvantage.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It was a mixed bag. One guy was in runners but he was hilarious about his misfortune. We had to cris-cross a stream multiple times, so those of us with out good waterproof boots or gaiters (myself included, couldn't find my gaiters) ended up with wet feet. The people who were properly waterproofed helped us avoid soaking our feet as much as possible by building bridges out of boulders to hop across. More than half the group was waterproof from head to toe.

We were all well-informed that it would probably snow, so we were as prepared as we could be, considering we're all university students and some people who didn't previously own good trekking boots couldn't afford a new pair so just sucked it up.

The class I was in was a university class for outdoor leadership, so we were not only encouraged to help each other out, but expected to. Anytime someone started acting a bit selfish or reckless they got called out as an example of what a good leader should not do. It's an awesome class; no one actually gets in trouble, they're just used as examples of "things to do on your own time vs. how you should behave if you have a group of clients in the backcountry".

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

The class I was in was a university class for outdoor leadership, so we were not only encouraged to help each other out, but expected to. Anytime someone started acting a bit selfish or reckless they got called out as an example of what a good leader should not do.
That sounds awesome. So many people go straight retard when they hit difficulty.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Has anyone ever sewn straps to a backpack? My Osprey Stratos 36 is awesome. Except if I throw a sleeping bag in, 75% of my space is gone. I'd line to tie it to the bottom of my bag. But there are no straps! :ohdear:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Oxford Comma posted:

Has anyone ever sewn straps to a backpack? My Osprey Stratos 36 is awesome. Except if I throw a sleeping bag in, 75% of my space is gone. I'd line to tie it to the bottom of my bag. But there are no straps! :ohdear:
It's been a long time since I've had a pack that required me to lash a sleeping bag to the bottom, and if I remember, it sucks. Really hard to do it in a way that doesn't have it bouncing off your rear end with every step, unless it's an external frame pack where the frame extends well beyond the bottom of the bag and you can lash from the bottom of the frame to the bottom of the backpack.

Have you tried using a compression sack? I can get my down sleeping back down to maybe 3 inches thick by 10 inches around if I compress the poo poo out of it. Goes into the bottom of my pack like an oversized hockey puck.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Also, consider a sleeping bag that packs down smaller.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Yeah I have my bag in a compression sack, but its still kinda bulky. Its actually not super-huge but it takes up a ton of room inside my pack, and its annoying. Maybe I'll return the pack to REI - I bought it about a year ago give or take. Can I still do that?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
In my experience, the bottom straps are used for the tent or the sleeping pad - not the sleeping bag.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Strapping it to the bottom also means you kinda have to be careful about where you put down your pack. Can you not strap it under the lid?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Most osprey packs I've seen have little loopy guys all over the place. Maybe tie it to those with rope, vertically along the back (outside, away from you) side of it?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just get a bigger bag, REI takes returns up to a year.

If your sleeping bag wont fit or takes up the entire volume of your backpack, you need a bigger backpack or a smaller sleeping bag. Storing your sleeping bag outside of your backpack sounds like a bad idea to me because it just makes it more likely that it will get wet, dirty, or damaged.

I'm not sure what kind of hiking you do, what season, how long, and where you go but a 35L is a good long day/overnight bag, or even possibly a weekender if you are in the summer and don't have bulky/heavy gear.

Look at something closer to the 50L range if possible. And it sounds like your sleeping bag is pretty large if its taking up almost all 35L in a compression bag. A bigger backpack will also give you the opportunity to go on longer trips where more food/gear is required if thats something you're interested in.

Verman fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 29, 2013

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
I have another Osprey in 70L or thereabouts. It's great for longer trips. I wanted something smaller for a daytime or overnight bag. The Stratos 36 is perfect except if I decide to take my sleeping bag space can get kinda tight. I'll look at it again tonite and see if I can rearrange things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
This is why my 130L external frame pack freaking rules