Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
A good IT person for me is one who when handed a problem or task comes back with "The problem was described as X, I investigated and the <user was right | user was full of poo poo, it is actually Y>. The possible causes I think are A, B or C. I propose we do 1, 2 and 3 to try and resolve it." I can respond to that with, "2 will break other application, 1 needs an outage. Try 3, if it doesn't work we schedule an outage for 2. if that fails we do 1 and plan to deal with the fallout". the difference between a good person and a great one, is the great one will have the response in their recommendation. I need the people in the team to keep me informed, If things are running smoothly I am a traffic cop directing requests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Sepist posted:

What was your salary requirement and where geographically was this located, if you don't mind me asking

90 was my rock bottom and I am in northern louisiana (duck dynasty country :emo:). On the one hand I can see where they are coming from. I am not very credentialed for a network engineer. My skills are hugely varied and my strongest skills lie in virtualization and I have no degree and only my CCNA. On the other hand, yesterday was the 3rd interview and it was the technical screen. They brought me in and had me hands on some stuff. I knocked it out in like 5 minutes flat and the interviewer said I was only 1 of 2 guys able to do it that quickly, if at all. I can only assume the other guy that did it asked for less money. Ah well theres always next time

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah, in my experience there are two types of people that work in our helpdesk:

"Hey QPZIL, I got this ticket for Joe User and their [x] isn't working, any idea what's going on?"

"Hey QPZIL, I got this ticket for Joe User and their [x] isn't working. I checked out the widgets and flimflams, and those look like they're working, and ruled out the ersatz coupler because the jangler is working fine, so it seems to be a more in-depth issue that I'm able to figure out. I have a feeling it might be something with the matrix server, could you take a look?"

One shows that the helpdesk person put 0 effort into solving the issue and is trying to pawn it off, and one shows that the helpdesk person actually took a look and legitimately needs my help. As I go on it's getting easier to tell the difference, but sadly I see more of the former than the latter :(

Syano posted:

90 was my rock bottom and I am in northern louisiana (duck dynasty country :emo:). On the one hand I can see where they are coming from. I am not very credentialed for a network engineer. My skills are hugely varied and my strongest skills lie in virtualization and I have no degree and only my CCNA. On the other hand, yesterday was the 3rd interview and it was the technical screen. They brought me in and had me hands on some stuff. I knocked it out in like 5 minutes flat and the interviewer said I was only 1 of 2 guys able to do it that quickly, if at all. I can only assume the other guy that did it asked for less money. Ah well theres always next time

A quick Google search leads me to believe that average network engineer salary in Louisiana is 77k. Was 90k the absolute least you would take? Was it just a general "network engineer" position, or was it a senior-level position? Also, it sounds like you don't have that much networking experience. (Just going from your strongest skills being in virtualization, but then again you apparently rocked the hands-on.) Was the position advertised as being in a specific salary range? Just curious.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 25, 2013

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Mentorship facebook group is set up, PM myself or dilbert with your email address or post it in here and we'll get around to adding you. We can use that for general discussion and get a list of mentors/mentees and connect people over that.

I don't have plat. Email is bleaklewis @t gmail.

Any recommendations on a good general DNS resource? I picked up a copy of the O'Reilly DNS & BIND book cheap, but it mostly covered configuring BIND. Looking more for something to help me with troubleshooting weird DNS issues that I know I'll run into now and again.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
Just a note for the guys doing the facebook mentor page, I got the invite, but facebook says that the group either doesn't exist or the link is broken, so could I get another invite?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

DagPenge posted:

Just a note for the guys doing the facebook mentor page, I got the invite, but facebook says that the group either doesn't exist or the link is broken, so could I get another invite?

Same here, I think the group is gone?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

QPZIL posted:

A quick Google search leads me to believe that average network engineer salary in Louisiana is 77k. Was 90k the absolute least you would take? Was it just a general "network engineer" position, or was it a senior-level position? Also, it sounds like you don't have that much networking experience. (Just going from your strongest skills being in virtualization, but then again you apparently rocked the hands-on.) Was the position advertised as being in a specific salary range? Just curious.

Salaries in Louisiana, especially northern, can be a strange animal. There are some rather large corporate entities that have headquarters here (Centurylink for instance) that can pay well but there are also a lot of small town jobs that can skew the average. I imagine thats probably why a cursory search looks like 77k would be average. I am actually already above that. What I asked for was in their range, albeit at the top end. I do have quite a bit of networking experience. I deal almost exclusively with hypervisors and LAN/WAN stuff for 22 sites daily. What I dont have is the credentials. I really need to start work on my ccnp. Anyways, I probably asked for too much (clearly I did based on their response) but that number is what I calculated that I needed to leave my current stable position.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

QPZIL posted:

Hopefully to linkedin? :ohdear:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Honestly, I'd think linkedin is a better place for it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

QPZIL posted:

Odd, there's 9 people in it already, all from email invites. I'll resend.

On the linkedin discussion: We can talk about it, why would it be better?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Just had my second interview (out of four) for YOTJ. I'm crossing every finger and toe, it sounds great so far!

But, I work in IT, I know to hope for the best and plan for the worst. Heh.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Because I am a curmudgeon who hates facebook, but that's just me.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Odd, there's 9 people in it already, all from email invites. I'll resend.

Recruiting/opportunities. It'd also be good for people to help critique resumes (your linkedin profile is just a resume that's easier to digest) and if you're connected with people in the group, you gain access to their network. Most people in IT are friends with tons of internal/external recruiters, so it can only help.

I'm already connected to a few IT goons on LinkedIn, although aside from one or two I have no idea what their usernames are.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Not exactly IT, but a woman came in with many large, visible bruises on her arms and neck asking for a loving typewriter. I asked why she was looking for a typewriter and she said she was looking for something that she could use to write things on that would have a zero chance of anyone being able to "hack into". I was :stare: the whole time but I sold her the typewriter and I have no idea what I should have done. It felt fairly obvious that this woman was being abused in some way but I had no idea what I could do. Feels bad, man. There are some sick people out there :smith:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

FFStudios posted:

write things on that would have a zero chance of anyone being able to "hack into". I was :stare: the whole time

You didn't hear about Russia? http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/07/11/russia-spies-nsa-typewriters-documents-computers/2508751/

ninja edit: sucks about the poor woman, I don't know what I would do either.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FFStudios posted:

Not exactly IT, but a woman came in with many large, visible bruises on her arms and neck asking for a loving typewriter. I asked why she was looking for a typewriter and she said she was looking for something that she could use to write things on that would have a zero chance of anyone being able to "hack into". I was :stare: the whole time but I sold her the typewriter and I have no idea what I should have done. It felt fairly obvious that this woman was being abused in some way but I had no idea what I could do. Feels bad, man. There are some sick people out there :smith:
She's going to use it to do her abuser's head in. Hopefully literally.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was looking at a domestic violence organization's website and they have big warnings that they should be careful to not go to use the website on a computer that their abuser has access.

Maybe she's involved with a technically savvy abuser and he's caught her seeking help by looking at recent documents and search history.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

psydude posted:

Recruiting/opportunities. It'd also be good for people to help critique resumes (your linkedin profile is just a resume that's easier to digest) and if you're connected with people in the group, you gain access to their network. Most people in IT are friends with tons of internal/external recruiters, so it can only help.

I'm already connected to a few IT goons on LinkedIn, although aside from one or two I have no idea what their usernames are.

I've started a LinkedIn group (because I agree that the social media site that allegedly is aimed at professionals is the place for a group of professionals trying to become more ... professional). Because I'm a goddamned cheap jackass who doesn't have a premium account, don't PM me for an invite. Either post your email here, or you may email me for an invite at dlcoles@gmail.com.

I've made the group invite only, but members can invite other members, so hopefully once we get the ball rolling on the first few people, it can grow organically from there.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've already sent an email, I hope the group works out.

Am I connected to you Psydude? See this is the problem, I connect to people then, who knows.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Anyone who's emailed me so far has been invited. Same process for now going forward, email or post and I'll send you an invite.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Welp awesome time with some NC goons, sadly my trip got cut a bit short due to an emergency back up in VA. Ahh well. But I did learn alot and am pretty sold on moving to NC now. Compared to Hampton Roads it is a completely different and seemingly logical world.

I was also amazed their weren't state troopers every 2 miles on the Highway like there are in VA.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 26, 2013

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

wintermuteCF posted:

Anyone who's emailed me so far has been invited. Same process for now going forward, email or post and I'll send you an invite.

Sent you an e-mail~ Also reminds me I actually gotta make my linkedin not look like poo poo somehow.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Zeratanis posted:

Also reminds me I actually gotta make my linkedin not look like poo poo somehow.

Sounds like a good first activity, making linkedin profiles not look like poo poo. Mine's hilariously un-worked, even moreso considering my company is ALL ABOUT the linkedin.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think a bit of light relief could come by finding bad job listings and tearing holes in them, so people know what jobs are probably best avoided and people trying to recruit know how not to list vacancies.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Caged posted:

I think a bit of light relief could come by finding bad job listings and tearing holes in them, so people know what jobs are probably best avoided and people trying to recruit know how not to list vacancies.

I have a number of needful requisitions on LinkedIn I could post...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Could some explain what exactly what "Software-defined-THING" means? To me as the tech or me as the manager.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tab8715 posted:

Could some explain what exactly what "Software-defined-THING" means? To me as the tech or me as the manager.

Basically adding another layer to virtualize the underlying components and adding an API or some other mechanism to provision and manage it. Software defined networking is probably the least nebulous of the "software defined X" terms being bandied about today, so that's probably a good place to start.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Sounds like a good first activity, making linkedin profiles not look like poo poo. Mine's hilariously un-worked, even moreso considering my company is ALL ABOUT the linkedin.

There's a really good LinkedIn thread over in BFC. I recommend at least reading the OP. I think I've said this before but the big thing I didn't realize is that you get heavily penalized in search results until your profile is totally filled out, including a photo. I literally went from 1 recruiter message every few months to 1 per week by just adding a stupid photo. The other tip is to never refuse a connection request unless it's from Hitler himself. This isn't Facebook, having a larger network won't subject you to idiots posting duckface photos or chain letters about how Obama is a secret Kenyan muslim. It will however increase your chances of being seen by someone looking for an IT worker because shared connections are far more likely to appear in searches than random dudes.

As Misogynist said, there is some headhunter spam of course. But there's also recruiters from the likes of Facebook, Google, Amazon, Netflix, VMware etc out there and I certainly don't consider contacts from those guys "spam". The quality response you get will be proportional to how complete and attractive your profile is, and of course how in demand your skills are.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
Seconding that thread in BFC, I've started building up my profile and sending connections to anyone I can find and am slowly starting to see results. The best rule for Linkedin is when in doubt send a connection request. Don't worry about what option you chose, I usually used "friend". Get your connections as high as you can, i think the limit is 3,000 and join lots of groups to the max (50).

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Year's review went well! My director said I was doing well for someone with no qualifications, no experience etc. 10% Raise. :toot:

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 28, 2013

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

What sort of IT support staff to user ratios do you guys have? and servers to IT admin/engineers?

We just briefly looked at the numbers here and it's 300:1 for support staff and 100:1 for servers to admins.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

We have about 3,5 FTE for 400FTEs. I'm the only backend/infra person.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We're upgrading backup software. Retrospect 7 to 8.

"You need to do this before our software support expires (which is in two days). We need to keep support active because it gives us access to the latest software"

We're running the version that came out in 2009. So the last 4 years we haven't actually used the 'free upgrades'. I asked him about this and the boss says "I don't have time to update the software".

In 4 years he hasn't had one chance to update the software because he's so busy telling other departments why they are idiots and laughing at them because they make mistakes in Windows.

Today I get an IM - "When are you updating the backup software? Are you going to make a snapshot first? Is that on the Netapp or VMware?"

You don't have time to do something but you always have time to micromanage something.

:argh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My deepest condolences, nobody should be forced to use Retrospect.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We've been using Labelview in our production facilities for like a dozen years, and 5 years ago I moved the licensing server to a VM. I go to download the latest version (we have SA), and what the gently caress, the latest version doesn't install in a VM. They want you to "convert your licensing" for like $2500 to make it "VM compatible". Assholes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Caged posted:

My deepest condolences, nobody should be forced to use Retrospect.

As I have mentioned before we are backing up individual users workstations to Synology storage units full of WD Green drives and taking backups offset with TigerDirect eSATA docks. 'Backup' is being very generous.

I'm new here but I figured out that none of our SQL 2008 servers were getting backed up because it's not supported by this version of Retrospect, so we have no other choice. Until after like 5 months when I can get the $ to get a new backup solution because it's 'not mission critical'.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GreenNight posted:

We've been using Labelview in our production facilities for like a dozen years, and 5 years ago I moved the licensing server to a VM. I go to download the latest version (we have SA), and what the gently caress, the latest version doesn't install in a VM. They want you to "convert your licensing" for like $2500 to make it "VM compatible". Assholes.

Hah, that's basically a ransom.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

HalloKitty posted:

Hah, that's basically a ransom.

They're a bunch of thieves. They did the same thing when we wanted to go from parallel port dongle to internet activation. $2500 "upgrade" fee. Jackasses. They know people will pay it, because what are you going to do? Convert 3000+ labels to a different product?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

GreenNight posted:

They're a bunch of thieves. They did the same thing when we wanted to go from parallel port dongle to internet activation. $2500 "upgrade" fee. Jackasses. They know people will pay it, because what are you going to do? Convert 3000+ labels to a different product?
Get whoever owns the budget to call them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's in the IT budget, so that would be myself or my boss (IT director). He certainly won't call them, so that would be me having to pitch a fit.

• Locked thread