Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Panasonic laptop? Where the gently caress do you live?

Broken HD = drive over to best Buy, buy a HD/SSD, take a long lunch, come back and re-install Windows.

I would assume that he is dealing directly with panasonic because it is a warranty case.

One thing nice about where I am is that every laptop purchased must have a 4 year no fault warranty. If there is an issue outside of a warranty period it is time to get a new laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

demonachizer posted:

I would assume that he is dealing directly with panasonic because it is a warranty case.

One thing nice about where I am is that every laptop purchased must have a 4 year no fault warranty. If there is an issue outside of a warranty period it is time to get a new laptop.

At one of my old gigs I got everyone CompleteCare from Dell + accidental damage because everyone was clumsy and they were usually traveling so it was perfect. No matter what they did or where they were I could usually get it fixed the very next day.

Nativity In Black posted:

Got a call from a headhunter yesterday wanting to put me in a helpdesk position at an area bank. The pay is better and it's less than a mile from my house, but I'd be going from a full time salaried position to a contract. The guy assures me that this thing will be going for a year or so and they hire people all the time but I think I've heard this too many times to trust. I may go to the interview and hear it from the horses mouth before I give up though.

At least go to the interview and see what's up. Worst case you burn a half a vacation day and you tell them you're not interested.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Or tell them (during the interview) that you will only consider the offer if they make it a salaried position. You never know, maybe they'll like you enough to make an exception.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

demonachizer posted:

This basically. And I work for local government which means, unless you have a damned good reason, you better not be spending any money. So... warranty it is!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QPZIL posted:

This basically. And I work for local government which means, unless you have a damned good reason, you better not be spending any money. So... warranty it is!

The amount of wasted money I see in my job (county government) makes me cringe.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Documentation at my current job is very very very sorely lacking, and as the new guy on board, this is particularly annoying. This caused a fun issue yesterday where we had a lot of new hire requests come in with the wrong name listed as the manager. Keep in mind this is a 6000-7000 user organization, so it's not possible to know everybody, or even everybody in various management roles.

So from the data given, this non-manager was listed in the manager fields in the new hire request forms. Before I created the new accounts, I even checked this guy out, and lo and behold, he has a large number of people already listed as reporting to him in AD with the same title as the new people, so it looks perfectly normal.

EXCEPT OH NO HE'S NOT THE MANAGER! Someone in HR hosed up the requests and put in the recruiter as the manager as opposed to whomever it was really supposed to be. So when the next step in the process occurred - directory access and apps approvals that run through the manager - the "wrong" guy approved them.

And you may ask - is any of this written down? Anything at all? Nope! You're just expected to "know" it already.

Best part? I've already identified to my leadership (InfoSec manager and IT Gov) that we need better documentation and have volunteered to take on the responsibility for documentation and they've agreed with me. I'll just be essentially starting from scratch, and of course that didn't help me yesterday.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Moey posted:

The amount of wasted money I see in my job (county government) makes me cringe.

Moving things from one location to another costs them nothing as long as they get you to do it!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Got a call from a headhunter yesterday wanting to put me in a helpdesk position at an area bank. The pay is better and it's less than a mile from my house, but I'd be going from a full time salaried position to a contract. The guy assures me that this thing will be going for a year or so and they hire people all the time but I think I've heard this too many times to trust. I may go to the interview and hear it from the horses mouth before I give up though.

Banking IT is basically "moratorium on contractor conversions, 6 month contract extended to 12 extended to 18, another bank picks you up for another 18 months, rinse and repeat". Wells Fargo, AMEX, Chase, BoA, and many other banks essentially operate at a 75% contractor level, so the recruiter is probably right.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

evol262 posted:

Banking IT is basically "moratorium on contractor conversions, 6 month contract extended to 12 extended to 18, another bank picks you up for another 18 months, rinse and repeat". Wells Fargo, AMEX, Chase, BoA, and many other banks essentially operate at a 75% contractor level, so the recruiter is probably right.

They also do the same thing with their janitors and facilities folk. Its kind of fitting really.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

wintermuteCF posted:

Moving things from one location to another costs them nothing as long as they get you to do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyx4v1QFzhQ

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

How big is the raise in pay? Compare like-for-like yearly expected earnings. Budget about $5k or so for other things like healthcare and no paid time off. Then see if the math works out.

Ex. Going from $40,000 annually on salary to $23.00/hour. Is it worth it? On face, sure! $40k converts to $19.23 hourly (2080 working hours in a year). Put differently, $23/hour converts to $47840 assuming no time off, 5 days a week every week. Realistically, most offices are closed on holidays, and you might get sick, or you will want a day off to take care of [car repair / doctor appointments / taking the cat to the vet / whatever], so it might be more accurate to assume 2000 or 1960 hours. At that point, you're down to $45k annually. Then you have healthcare costs, other incidental benefits, etc. The math gets murky when you really start to pull the numbers through the wringer. Plus you have to assume that the lack of implied permanence with a contract means your job is easier to cut.

That said, at the helpdesk level (and I'm assuming tier 1 or tier 2 here), the lack of implied permanence may lead you to always be looking for a better job, which is a good thing. Don't get complacent at the helpdesk level. If you get a pay raise, take it, work the new job, and use that higher pay rate to get a better paying job later on.

Edit: Moey, you're just the best.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

GargleBlaster posted:

Ah the pitfalls of sticking to a dirt cheap good-for-nothing antivirus for so long where the application hasn't been updated for over 2 years (took long enough to get a Windows 7 compatible version) and is threatening to disappear altogether. Now the boss has *finally* seen the light and stopped worshipping this crappy AV and is proposing to switch to another. But the problem is, the total annual cost for the lovely one is £200 and the total cost for every other in the world is ~£1000.

This of course led to a quick discussion with our line director, the finance guy. (Same one who refused to give me a rise after 5 years service, adoption of various additional projects and a glowing performance review). Who was horrified at the idea of a 5x increase in cost and says no, let's wait it out and see if something "presents itself".

Then he asked about the feasibility of pirating one :eng99:

I know we're in financial difficulties, but geez. Still, this is the guy who is paid about 3-4x what I am, but borrows IT's ~10 year old digital camera every weekend because he's too tight fisted to buy his own.

Gargleblaster, you're slowly becoming Corvette Fisher, please :yotj:. (or isn't he Dilbert something or other now?)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Guesticles posted:

Gargleblaster, you're slowly becoming Corvette Fisher, please :yotj:. (or isn't he Dilbert something or other now?)

He's not just Dilbert, he's Dilbert as gently caress.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wintermuteCF posted:

At that point, you're down to $45k annually. Then you have healthcare costs, other incidental benefits, etc.

Remember stuff like going 6 months without 401k contributions and crap like that :(

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Bob Morales posted:

Remember stuff like going 6 months without 401k contributions and crap like that :(

Yes, the calculus gets very confusing after a point. The bottom line is that you have to really weigh all the advantages and disadvantages. There are good reasons to leave a salaried position for a contract job, and there's never one correct answer for all situations. I left a salaried desktop lead position for a contract sysadmin role because I'd have better and more flexible hours, a 50% rise in hourly pay, more interesting work, and to join a better organization with more potential for advancement and professional development. It was worth it to me in my particular scenario and at this point in my life, but it may not be the right move for someone who needs health insurance (or worse, has dependents who need it).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

A job-hop could cost you $1,500 in retirement savings if:

You make $50,000 a year
You are putting in say 8% and employer matches 4%
You don't start your new 401k until you're in for 3 months

Job hop 3-4 times and that can add up.

Of course you could fix that buy just chucking the $ in an IRA but it wouldn't be pre-tax or have an employer contribution (free money)

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

GargleBlaster posted:

Ah the pitfalls of sticking to a dirt cheap good-for-nothing antivirus for so long where the application hasn't been updated for over 2 years (took long enough to get a Windows 7 compatible version) and is threatening to disappear altogether. Now the boss has *finally* seen the light and stopped worshipping this crappy AV and is proposing to switch to another. But the problem is, the total annual cost for the lovely one is £200 and the total cost for every other in the world is ~£1000.

This of course led to a quick discussion with our line director, the finance guy. (Same one who refused to give me a rise after 5 years service, adoption of various additional projects and a glowing performance review). Who was horrified at the idea of a 5x increase in cost and says no, let's wait it out and see if something "presents itself".

Then he asked about the feasibility of pirating one :eng99:

I know we're in financial difficulties, but geez. Still, this is the guy who is paid about 3-4x what I am, but borrows IT's ~10 year old digital camera every weekend because he's too tight fisted to buy his own.

At a previous place of employment, the AV policy was "download a copy of AVG free if you need anti-virus".

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Paladine_PSoT posted:

At a previous place of employment, the AV policy was "download a copy of AVG free if you need anti-virus".

Some vendor that our Radiologists use set us a system running AVG free. It expired back in 2009. I think it's still on that system as the only AV. I've already told the Rad Director, as it's a vendor system, so we're not supposed to touch it. At the same time though, they really aren't supposed to have that on our network without a working AV.

I think that, since they often have us work on/troubleshoot the system any time they have issues, I'm going to at least toss ClamAV on there and schedule daily scans. Better than nothing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ClamAV for windows is worse than nothing, it can false positive on system files and hose the system. Use security essentials and plead ignorance if someone tells you it's only licensed for non-commercial.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

autodiscover stopped working in exchange, someone removed all the user rights on the root of our main file share of 1tb and the helpdesk is having a really REALLY dumb slapfight between themselves in the IT lync channel

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, its times like this I wish i kept a stash of meth in my drawer

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

A job-hop could cost you $1,500 in retirement savings if:

You make $50,000 a year
You are putting in say 8% and employer matches 4%
You don't start your new 401k until you're in for 3 months

Job hop 3-4 times and that can add up.

Of course you could fix that buy just chucking the $ in an IRA but it wouldn't be pre-tax or have an employer contribution (free money)

Yeah but a busted liver costs more.

QPZIL posted:

He's not just Dilbert, he's Dilbert as gently caress.

drat straight

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 29, 2013

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

mewse posted:

ClamAV for windows is worse than nothing, it can false positive on system files and hose the system. Use security essentials and plead ignorance if someone tells you it's only licensed for non-commercial.

I had thought about this, but I'm not sure if it would be able to download updates since corp. has blocked Windows Updates site.
I may end up putting McAfee on it (which truly is worse than nothing, but it's what we're licensed for).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Man, and I thought our Core Duo-based Xeon VMware servers were slow. P4? Really?

Santa better bring me some servers this year.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Man, and I thought our Core Duo-based Xeon VMware servers were slow. P4? Really?

Avatar/Post combo of the thread right there.

What's pissing me off every day: I email a guy, he replies verbally and then never does the actions he agrees to do verbally. Then I email him the next day, he replies verbally and then never does the actions he agrees to do verbally. Then I email him the next day...

(Verbally = calls or stops by office. I've tried to get him to commit to anything in email/writing, but he won't.)

It's been a week trying to get a single AD account permissioned.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Bob Morales posted:

We still have a couple of servers (PowerEdge 860?) that have netburst based Celerons.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It takes 45 minutes to install something that should take...10? :argh:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Urit posted:

What's pissing me off every day: I email a guy, he replies verbally and then never does the actions he agrees to do verbally. Then I email him the next day, he replies verbally and then never does the actions he agrees to do verbally. Then I email him the next day...

(Verbally = calls or stops by office. I've tried to get him to commit to anything in email/writing, but he won't.)

Just tell him in the email when you last emailed?

"Hey bob, just following up on my email from yesterday, which was following up on my email from Friday..."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Urit posted:

You combat this by typing out an email of your conversation as its happening as a reply to your other emails. Usually something like "Thank you for coming to my office and agreeing to do this for me today." while ccing his boss.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

It takes 45 minutes to install something that should take...10? :argh:

"They are servers they just sit idle most of the time. They are not going to be upgraded."

Okay. I'm never going to upgrade them, ever and refer to that email when people ask why. Ever.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We're forcing cached mode in Outlook 2003 prior to our full-scale migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010. The way this cached mode push is being done will clear everyone's signatures and shared mailboxes, so we'll get a billion calls about getting those re-added. We've also been turning off cached mode for everyone who's complaining about how slow e-mail is, either because their mobile phone gets the notification before it hits Outlook, or because another recipient who has cached mode off will get it up to 15 minutes sooner than someone who has cached mode on. The lead sysadmin's response is that "it's e-mail, not instant messaging."

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Sickening posted:

You combat this by typing out an email of your conversation as its happening as a reply to your other emails. Usually something like "Thank you for coming to my office and agreeing to do this for me today." while ccing his boss.

That's precisely what I do. It doesn't mean it's had any effect. :v:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
People that email and then immediately call and ask if you got the email while at the same time telling you the entire contents of the email. Why bother?

My boss does this constantly... Multiple times per day. If he leaves me a voice mail on either my cell or the office phone he will send a email telling me he left a voice mail, and what the contents of said voicemail where. And for good measure sometimes a text will be sent too.

On a few occasions he has sent a email, and then sent a very long text broken up into 5 or more parts telling me he sent a email, and also containing the contents of the email.

And while I am ranting... my OTHER boss (the owner/CEO) keeps his personal task lists for people in word documents. If he has a task for you to complete, he will type it into your personalized word document and email it to you. When the task is completed, he expects you to open the word document, note that you completed the task, and email the word document back to him. He then takes and saves this copy over his existing copy. Some of our less computer literate employees constantly have problems with this; they can never find the document on the computer after they have saved it. My cries to use shared Google documents, or any other system are always brushed aside.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

anthonypants posted:

The lead sysadmin's response is that "it's e-mail, not instant messaging."

I see nothing wrong with this response.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Negromancer posted:

Neither do I. People need to realize that e-mail can take a bit sometimes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also gently caress Outlook that isn't running in cached mode. Slight network blip? Not responding.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

anthonypants posted:

... The lead sysadmin's response is that "it's e-mail, not instant messaging."....

I see nothing wrong with this response either.... I have far too many users who will send a email with 100MB of pictures attached and wonder why so and so didn't receive it immediately after they clicked send.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Negromancer posted:

I have about 20 billion emails from finance's pet DBA because she treats it like instant messaging. I'm half tempted to give her an account on our openfire server just to cut down on them, but that's about all I can complain about with her; she's actually incredibly helpful with solving any problems finance has with their mess of applications, excel documents, and access databases :unsmith:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Negromancer posted:

Inspector_666 posted:

Neither do I. People need to realize that e-mail can take a bit sometimes.
An internal e-mail shouldn't hit their mobile phone before their desktop. Two recipients next to each other shouldn't get the same e-mail 10-15 minutes apart. I'm sure that cached mode is lovely, but our network infrastructure and sysadmins are in no way ready for it.

Here is another thing that literally just happened:
A user complained that any document scans from one of our Canon MFCs were taking an hour or more to reach a Windows share. One of the apps guys contacted a Canon rep who suggested that we follow the instructions in this TechNet article. The apps guy then had the user attempt to perform these steps on her local computer. When she got an error message that the Server service wasn't started, the apps guy came to us.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 30, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Well after 7 fine months;

"Well Dilbert, don't think we have a foreseeable Network/Vmware/storage centered position opening up in the next 12 months. We would like to move you more into a $Jack-of-all-trades position$+ some Desktop support, with you are go to guy of vmware/network/storage"

Yeah no gently caress SMB, and no I don't mean SMB as how cisco/emc/vmware mean it I mean the sub ~30 user company that makes up a large portion of where they want to move me to.

My goal is to, learn more so than I do now in Vmware/net/storage, cert up, and be living in NC Charolette/Raleigh/RTP in 2 years. (OR's cost of living don't compare to NC's).

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing the Stuff outside vmware/network/storage, and I do well at it; but my passion is with Virtualization/net/storage; not with "My legacy SBS 2003 server sucks fix it" or "well can you just code or script the app from these legacy Redhat servers?"

Hell I love semi-modern *nix servers, and working with most OS's or server's after 2008. Jobs good but hell, I really though when I signed on after 6 months my focus was vmware/net/storage which was really the whole point of my signing this company. Ahh well.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Guesticles posted:

Hah, I'll keep an eye out but it's a rural area so I'm not keeping my hopes up.

Could do with somehow rebuilding my confidence first, after this place has worn it down over the years, bit of a chicken and egg thing!

stevewm posted:

People that email and then immediately call and ask if you got the email while at the same time telling you the entire contents of the email. Why bother?

Yep, we have one of those. Oddly, he calls an email a "note" and replies with "Thanks for your note below" or more often than not, walks in and says "thanks for your note" and responds in person. Which I guess is fine, it's more personal to get some face time in, but sometimes you want to keep it to emails so you have a record of things. Maybe trying to get the best of both worlds is why they respond and then visit and say exactly what they said in the email *shrug*