Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Guni posted:

:getin:. Do it. You know you want to.

EVGA hasn't adjusted their prices on their website, so... NO! I MUST RESIST!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Gonkish posted:

EVGA hasn't adjusted their prices on their website, so... NO! I MUST RESIST!

They haven't adjusted in the Step-Up page yet, but their site just updated.

I just shot down the idea for myself, I think. I got a GTX 760 SC with their fancy cooler and while I can step up, they only offer reference. The GTX 770 reference is too tiny a jump.

EDIT: They updated the Step-Up page and are apparently listing the GTX 770 reference at $340 and the GTX 780 at $530. :fuckoff:

featurecreep fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 29, 2013

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Bleh, I got the 4GB 760s because I'm planning on going 1440p sometime soon-ish, and they don't offer anything other than the stock options for Step-up. THANK gently caress! They gave me a reason to stop hating money...

eames
May 9, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, and I'm not sure if I should stick it here or in the monitor thread, but it looks like G-sync is going to be exclusive to Asus monitors until the end of 2014:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/362115,nvidias-g-sync-only-with-asus-for-now.aspx

Colour me entirely disinterested. Nvidia can prise my 1440p PLS panel out of my cold dead hands.

I was about to post that earlier but then I realized that the source of this rumor is this super shady WCCF tech site. The author keeps writing sensationalist tweets and makes up silly rumors like this to generate pageviews on this website.

https://mobile.twitter.com/usmanpirzada

So yeah, that rumor is BS.

eames fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 29, 2013

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
If you're running an ancient processor (such as my Intel C2Q 9300), you can bypass the Core i3 / Phenom II X4 requirements by adding -shadowplay to the Geforce Experience shortcut.

The aspect ratio seems to only affect widescreen resolutions -- At least running 1440x1080 results in horizontally stretched image unless the video is forced to 4:3 aspect ratio. I only tested it for a minute or so watching TF2 but it seemed to lag a bit when it had both manual and automatic recording running. I'll test it with other games later.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

eames posted:

I was about to post that earlier but then I realized that the source of this rumor is this super shady WCCF tech site. The author keeps writing sensationalist tweets and makes up silly rumors like this to generate pageviews on this website.

https://mobile.twitter.com/usmanpirzada

So yeah, that rumor is BS.

Well that makes me more hopeful then.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
Do the flagship nvidia cards tend to get any particularly sweet deals on black friday? If I'm only gonna pay $20 less, I'm tempted to pick up a 760 right now.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai
Well, I pulled the trigger on an MSI GTX 780 Gaming. Was going to get the EVGA because it was going for $499 at one point, but I guess that must have been a mistake on Newegg's part as it shot up to something like $559. Oh well. :shrug:

After much debate, I just figured it would be sort of pointless to get a 290 and throw an aftermarket on it in my case. For one, the cost of the 290 and the aftermarket ended up being the exact same cost as the MSI 780, if not more expensive. I also have no idea how well the cooler would do on a 290, where as there are proven results on aftermarket 780 solutions. The MSI 780 is also known to be a powerful beast when it comes to overclocking according to most reviews, and its factory OC is already more than likely faster than the 290, I would imagine, with plenty of headroom after that. I also decided that having a 3 slot solution (what the 290 would've turned into with the AX3) was not something that I wanted. Waiting until the end of November/early December for aftermarkets was not an option for me either, mostly because I've already been waiting over a month to get a new card and I'm an impatient bastard.

There were also bits like Shadowplay (because there are so many times that weird poo poo happens to me in games that I wish I had recorded) that were just pushing me that much more to get a 780 instead.

All in all, I feel I made the right purchase. Let's just hope NVIDIA's drivers agree with me this time around and continue to do so.

Rahu X fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 29, 2013

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I am enjoying Shadowplay a lot. It turned out to be one of those things I never thought I would care but now I would not let go of. I still cant wrap my head around the fact that it incurs no performance loss EVER.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
The 770 EVGA is on Amazon for $330 with prime shipping and $10 MIR: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Dual-Link-02G-P4-2773-KR-Graphics/dp/B00CZIQZ40/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

EDIT: And it claims to come with the 3 game bundle, although: "▪ If you return any of the promotion items, we will subtract the value of your Bonus item from your return credit." Which I assume means whether or not you use the promo codes, you give up something like $150 if you return the card to Amazon?

Animal posted:

I am enjoying Shadowplay a lot. It turned out to be one of those things I never thought I would care but now I would not let go of. I still cant wrap my head around the fact that it incurs no performance loss EVER.

I made a 4GB ram disk for it to save files to, and it was working at first, but then the Shadowplay icon turned off and when I hit the toggle button I got a red "no" cross through the icon. What's up with that?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 29, 2013

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I know I'm going to jinks this now, but yesterdays in the new drivers this caught my eye in the change logs,

So I gave them a try and its been 24 hours or so and no crashing as of yet (on Firefox 25.0). I'm one of the guys who's been stuck on 314.22 for my 560Ti for 6+ months because of unknown crashing/lockup problems, so these might finally be good drivers for people with 400-500 cards.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I made a 4GB ram disk for it to save files to, and it was working at first, but then the Shadowplay icon turned off and when I hit the toggle button I got a red "no" cross through the icon. What's up with that?

You don't need to bother with a RAM disk, as it buffers in RAM anyways. It only writes to disk when you tell it to save what it has buffered. I have it set to save to my SSD and there is absolutely no hiccup. If you have the on-screen indicator disabled, there is no way of telling it actually saved a 2gb video unless you check the folder to see that the video is there because there is absolutely no sttuter, hiccup, or FPS drop when it saves. Thats how seamless it is.

I know its hard to wrap our heads around this, as PC gamers, that this can be done without a performance loss or other downside. But It Just Works. You dont have to mess with it. Whoever NVIDIA has working on Shadowplay and their decoder are a talented team of software engineers. And this is just a beta. I hope they implement 16:10 aspect ratio.

Animal fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 29, 2013

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

Im_Special posted:

So I know I'm going to jinks this now, but yesterdays in the new drivers this caught my eye in the change logs,

So I gave them a try and its been 24 hours or so and no crashing as of yet (on Firefox 25.0). I'm one of the guys who's been stuck on 314.22 for my 560Ti for 6+ months because of unknown crashing/lockup problems, so these might finally be good drivers for people with 400-500 cards.

Strangely, it took a week for driver issues to appear for me and steadily got worse (460). I'll wait, as people running the messed up drivers seem to have damaged their cards in some circumstances.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Animal posted:

You don't need to bother with a RAM disk, as it buffers in RAM anyways. It only writes to disk when you tell it to save what it has buffered. I have it set to save to my SSD and there is absolutely no hiccup. If you have the on-screen indicator disabled, there is no way of telling it actually saved a 2gb video unless you check the folder to see that the video is there because there is absolutely no sttuter, hiccup, or FPS drop when it saves. Thats how seamless it is.

I know its hard to wrap our heads around this, as PC gamers, that this can be done without a performance loss or other downside. But It Just Works. You dont have to mess with it. Whoever NVIDIA has working on Shadowplay and their decoder are a talented team of software engineers. And this is just a beta. I hope they implement 16:10 aspect ratio.

I don't know what happened but I hit alt-F10 to save something while playing GW2 for a few hours and actually had a momentary pause. Otherwise, Shadowplay is awesome.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

So I purchased a 780 on the 18th when it was ~650, and with the drop it is now ~540 - any chance of newegg cutting me some slack?

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Erkenntnis posted:

So I purchased a 780 on the 18th when it was ~650, and with the drop it is now ~540 - any chance of newegg cutting me some slack?

You're still within the RMA window, aren't you? Just be nice about it when you contact their customer support. They might help you, since technically you could still return it minus a restocking fee and purchase a new one at a lower price.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
If Newegg won't help, some credit cards have purchase protection where they match MSRP drops like this. It's more paperwork, so having Newegg help you might be easier.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

fookolt posted:

How big is a one minute 1080p video?
330MB

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Arzachel posted:

After a certain point more performance costs disproportionally more, I mean you could have gotten an unlockable 6950 for about half the price of a 580 a bit after those launched. The hype is more due to the fact that the 290X brings high end prices more in line with the previous gens.
Yeah, it's a good card in that it made things interesting, it's just bizarre to compliment it on its price:performance when it's really not so hot, and when it fills such a tiny role unless, again, you're trying at all costs to avoid multiple GPUs, or you have so many pixels to fill that it's a given you'll be using more than one 290X. I managed to scrape by with a 4890 until now but am used to spending ~$400-500 on GPUs, my usual cutoff is spending more than like 30% more for 10% more performance (i.e. I went from a GF4400Ti to an XT-moddable X800 Pro to a 320MB 8800GTS). I wanted something more than a 7970 since I haven't really splurged on a GPU in 5 years. I'm curious what multimonitor frame pacing, g-sync etc. will look like by the time it's time for a new GPU, in the meantime my new 7990 is obscene, nothing can even do it justice at 1080p, now I need a new monitor :)

Straker fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 30, 2013

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Aaaand that same link is now showing as $390, what the gently caress?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Amazon's automatic price matching algorithm is going nuts on EVGA cards right now. Give the market a bit to settle down.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Hey quick question. I just got a new 770, to connect it to the psu it's got 6 and 8 pin connections. My psu doesn't have any 8 pin connections, this is alright because it came with an 8 to 2x6 adapter. Problem is once that's plugged in I don't have another 6 pin port on my psu for the 6 pin connection to the card. It also came with a 6 pin to 2 molex adapter, and I have a couple of spare molex connections free, would it be fine to use the adapter and plug the 6 pin into 2 molexs?

Does this make any sense? I'm not amazingly savvy with this. The psu is 700w by the way so it should definitely have enough power, I'm just a bit paranoid with the connections that's all.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I -almost- pulled the trigger on 2 780 Classifieds yesterday. When newegg first did their price drops they were 579 with the games, now the fuckers are back up to 699. I hate newegg some times.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
On this plus side, the second-fastest card (980 vs 993 core) was $569 yesterday and is $524 today. Anything wrong with this that I'm missing?

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz
Since I got my eVGA GTX770 in June, I became the victim of almost non-stop TDRs. Because I sold my 560Ti before I realized how annoying the problems were, I sat around waiting for new drivers, assuming that was the cause. Several months later, it still didn't get fixed, and none of the registry edits, supposed fixes, and driver updates ever fixed the problem for me.

I maybe only ran into the problem once or twice while playing games, and for the most part noticed they primarily occurred while using any form of browser-based flash, and occasionally while idling at desktop. I didn't have the Bitcoin miner that turned out to be the problem for many people. Finally tried a really stupidly obvious fix earlier this week that seems to have finally solved the issue.

If anyone is still having these problems on their cards, try the following:
1) Uninstall EVGA Precision X/MSI Afterburner. The voltages on my card are locked, so the overvolting solutions weren't really an option here. I mostly used it to monitor my temperatures.
2) Uninstall+clean remove the current drivers. Re-install
3) Reinstall the latest DirectX distributable package.

I also uninstalled an Exposé knockoff called Switcher, but in my rush to fix the problem I didn't do the solutions systemically so I can't vouch for whether that had anything to do with it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Shadowplay seems really impressive. I may have to start polluting YouTube with my own brand of putrid gameplay video montages or something!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KS posted:

On this plus side, the second-fastest card (980 vs 993 core) was $569 yesterday and is $524 today. Anything wrong with this that I'm missing?

Nope, just that there is a waterblock that fits the Classified, so I get a 980 I want that one :) I figure it'll be easier later when I try to sell it if I buy the waterblock separate vs buying the Classified Hydro.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

shymog posted:

I don't know what happened but I hit alt-F10 to save something while playing GW2 for a few hours and actually had a momentary pause. Otherwise, Shadowplay is awesome.

Your hard drive probably had its heads parked. I anticipated this and am saving to my SSD and there is absolutely no hint that Shadowplay is doing anything. I have such a hard on for this technology.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

yanthrax posted:

FINALLY A TDR FIX!

for the GTX 770

:negative:

Don't take anything hostile from this; I'm glad at least someone's escaping from it. It's just that it's not terribly applicable to Fermi cards (which will still apparently eat it on drivers > 314.22 on a fresh install of Windows!).

And kind of interesting that it lingered past the point where the 560 Ti was out of your system. Now I have to wonder if the driver package is setting per-device commands that are screwing everything.

EDIT: Or if something similar is happening to your model of 770 and to just about any Fermi card at the driver's hands - obviously not from the same causes, but with the same intermediate results, and producing the same outcomes.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 30, 2013

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

Sir Unimaginative posted:

:negative:
And kind of interesting that it lingered past the point where the 560 Ti was out of your system. Now I have to wonder if the driver package is setting per-device commands that are screwing everything.

Sorry if I got your hopes up :( I don't think I explained myself clearly in my previous post: I never ever had the issue on the 560, and didn't even realize it was such a big problem with nVidia cards until I upgraded to the 770GTX.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Welp, just managed to grab a Gigabyte 290x for 550 from Amazon. It'll be here Friday, sadly, I don't think my waterblock will make it in time for the weekend.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
This GPU situation is making me double-guess my every decision.

First I thought I'd get a 280X because it's reasonably priced and locally 50 eurobux less than a regular hd7970. Then came 290X which was much better performing and not THAT expensive. Then news about how the cooler sucks. And the Nvidia price drop.

Currently I've cancelled my order for a reference-cooler 290X and awaiting for an improved design one.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

NaDy posted:

Hey quick question. I just got a new 770, to connect it to the psu it's got 6 and 8 pin connections. My psu doesn't have any 8 pin connections, this is alright because it came with an 8 to 2x6 adapter. Problem is once that's plugged in I don't have another 6 pin port on my psu for the 6 pin connection to the card. It also came with a 6 pin to 2 molex adapter, and I have a couple of spare molex connections free, would it be fine to use the adapter and plug the 6 pin into 2 molexs?

Does this make any sense? I'm not amazingly savvy with this. The psu is 700w by the way so it should definitely have enough power, I'm just a bit paranoid with the connections that's all.
Sounds like you got it figured out with the molex adapters. And you're right, that's plenty of power.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

veedubfreak posted:

Welp, just managed to grab a Gigabyte 290x for 550 from Amazon. It'll be here Friday, sadly, I don't think my waterblock will make it in time for the weekend.

You're on a 1440p, right? I'm really curious to hear how that goes. I'm torn between the 290x on a non-reference cooler and a 780ti with the same. Granted, I don't think I could work up the nerve to pony up that kind of cash (video cards are the one component I feel guilty about purchasing), but I might just have to deal with the guilt this generation.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Sormus posted:

Currently I've cancelled my order for a reference-cooler 290X and awaiting for an improved design one.

Wait a week, the R9 290 might very well be worth the wait.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So apparently either the rumor mill is mixing up their naming conventions, or Green Team is stealing Red Team's: http://videocardz.com/47420/nvidia-updates-geforce-gtx-780-ghz-edition

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Grim Up North posted:

Wait a week, the R9 290 might very well be worth the wait.

To be fair that's only another new factor in to this developing storm of "Which card to get?". Luckily I still have my trusty hd6850.
Current plans are to wait a few weeks until some manufacturers come up with their proprietary coolers and local shops get them on their shelves.

Sormus fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 30, 2013

Atreus
Sep 20, 2005
I'm drat torn with these new driver updates whether or not to get Nvidia or AMD here. It seems like all the new SteamOS templates that Valve released specs for are saddled with Nvidia cards. My last experience with Linux and AMD/ATI drivers were terrible, has that improved?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If I recall correctly the 290X went for sale around 10:30CST. Maybe the 290 non-x will do the same tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ghostpilot posted:

You're on a 1440p, right? I'm really curious to hear how that goes. I'm torn between the 290x on a non-reference cooler and a 780ti with the same. Granted, I don't think I could work up the nerve to pony up that kind of cash (video cards are the one component I feel guilty about purchasing), but I might just have to deal with the guilt this generation.

I'm actually on triple 1440. The 290x really shines the higher the resolution. I'm about 20% higher on pixel count than UHD. The 290x is pretty even with the Titan until you get to the higher resolution then it starts to pull away. I'm assuming it's the extra ROPS.