Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

gman14msu posted:

I don’t lose anything in display quality by upgrading to touch, correct? I’m willing to pay $80 more to try it, but not if I lose any quality.

You'll have slightly less battery life with the touch screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Trump posted:

That's where it gets too complicated. :)

Any recommendations for a windows laptop with my requirements?

Your requirements are pretty much any 15" laptop for around $600 with Windows or Ubuntu. Take a look at the ones in the OP or the ones people discuss around here often. Thinkpad is a good sturdy brand and it has a good keyboard which will help your dad with typing.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Bob Morales posted:

You'll have slightly less battery life with the touch screen.
But does it really add a pound, and why?

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

But does it really add a pound, and why?

A question answered by a Lenovo rep on the site said the weight for the touch screen and 72 Whr battery is about 4 lbs. The laptop is listed as starting at 3.6 lbs, so I'm guessing those two features are .4 lbs.

I'm pretty sure I'm in on the 6-cell battery, even with the bump on the end. I figure getting a 3-cell one later if I want a slimmer profile won't be that expensive. Is that wrong?

Edit:

I'm also still deciding between the i5-4200 and i5-4300.

gman14msu fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 29, 2013

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Looks like all three T440's (T440, T440p, T440s) are now on the B&N site as well, with a discount of 15% or so off the sticker price. Estimated ship dates are Nov 19th or thereabouts.

Lesson learned: Don't assume something's coming out "soon"; things can apparently be announced in July to be released in November. I'm just glad I soon won't be using my N7 as a stand-in for my busted laptop anymore.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So the pricing on the t440 basically tells me to buy my own RAM and SSD, and even then it's going to come perilously close to a macbook pro that has a better screen and onboard graphics.

ugh decisions

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
You can get the T440p with a desktop grade i7 :stare:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I've got a few more questions about the T440s before I drop ~$1275 on one. The summary page shows "Up to 6 hours' battery life with 3-cell battery." Is that including the front battery or will be be closer to 12 hours when you have 3+3? The "Tech Specs" part says this:

quote:

Up to 9 hours on Windows 8 Idle
Up to 6 hours on full HD playback
9 hours idle seems pretty lovely. The 6 cell is only $5 more for significantly more capacity, but I don't want it if it's going to jut out and make the laptop not fit nicely in things.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I *think* the 6-cell adds a lump on the bottom surface, so even worse than coming out the back

aaaand the store's down

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

P.N.T.M. posted:

You can get the T440p with a desktop grade i7 :stare:

The i7-4900MQ isn't quiiiite desktop grade, but it's still a 47W TDP processor in a 14" laptop.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Ordered T440s with minimum ram/cpu/disk, adding FHD display and Intel AC wireless. :toot:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You guys spending $1,000+ on laptops without even reading reviews are nuts.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

Ordered T440s with minimum ram/cpu/disk, adding FHD display and Intel AC wireless. :toot:
That's pretty much what I was planning on getting, plus the OS upgrade. Did you up the battery? I want it to be thin/light but I also want more than 6 hours of runtime.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

I'm about to do the same but with upgraded battery and the touchscreen. I think the battery adds .3 lbs or les and the screen adds .1. I'm OK with that extra weight.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Rikki Tikki Tavi posted:

How much of a user difference is there going to be between an i5 4200U with HD 4400 and an i7 4558U with Iris 5100? I'm trying to decide between the two, this will be my main computer and will be pushing a 1440p screen. Not much in the way of real games though, like nothing more demanding than say Civ5.

The i7 should close to the performance of desktop i3, but you'll probably be limited in what you can do with an Iris 5100. It won't deliver much a performance boost in comparison to a HD 4600 iGPU. If you game at lower resolution (1080p or 900p), a Iris 5100 should be fine.

Gwaihir posted:

The i7-4900MQ isn't quiiiite desktop grade, but it's still a 47W TDP processor in a 14" laptop.

AnandTech found the i7 4900MQ comparable to the Ivy Bridge i7, and a i7 3770K is desktop grade to me.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I found a video of the hotswap that shows the 3 and 6-cell batteries. Looks like it adds quite a bit of height.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gW6ahx0WXo

I've also read some reviews that put the battery life well below the 12 hours claimed.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/732797-thinkpad-t440s-review.html

quote:

I didn΄t really test the battery life until now. Last night, it had 80 % when I went to bed (I left it on with Idle settings, WLAN off, display on the lowest brightness etc.). I sleept ~ 7.5hrs, and after I woke up it said "7 % battery". In my WLAN test (75 % brightness), it lasted 5 hrs.
Dropped 10%/hour sitting idle with the display at the lowest brightness. That seems not great to me unless it's just the external 3-cell. How does that work with two batteries, does it show one for each battery or is the percentage calculated using both?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Decent return policy, I think?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

I found a video of the hotswap that shows the 3 and 6-cell batteries. Looks like it adds quite a bit of height.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gW6ahx0WXo

I've also read some reviews that put the battery life well below the 12 hours claimed.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/732797-thinkpad-t440s-review.html

Dropped 10%/hour sitting idle with the display at the lowest brightness. That seems not great to me unless it's just the external 3-cell. How does that work with two batteries, does it show one for each battery or is the percentage calculated using both?

The notebookreview poster was only using the 3 cell battery with a 47 whr capacity. The full battery is something like ~95.2 whr going by the specs on Lenovo's site configuration tool. (The T440/P has an option for 99.9 whr battery). So, with the upgraded battery you should have double the life he did.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 29, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

The notebookreview poster was only using the 3 cell battery with a 47 whr capacity. The full battery is something like ~95.2 whr going by the specs on Lenovo's site configuration tool.
You say "only using the 3-cell battery" but there's an internal 3-cell and an external 3-cell, each 23.2Whr. I guess this answers my question, though. I'll need the big chunk battery if I want to do stuff for more than 6 hours.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

That's pretty much what I was planning on getting, plus the OS upgrade. Did you up the battery? I want it to be thin/light but I also want more than 6 hours of runtime.
I went with the base battery; from previous computering history I've found I mostly tend to just use laptops while they're plugged in anyway. I also got a spare AC adapter (which apparently also gets a B&N discount).

Mu Zeta posted:

It's been out for a while overseas, there's a couple reviews out.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

You say "only using the 3-cell battery" but there's an internal 3-cell and an external 3-cell, each 23.2Whr. I guess this answers my question, though. I'll need the big chunk battery if I want to do stuff for more than 6 hours.

Yea, I meant the 3 cell internal + 3 cell normal external adding up to the 47 whr total. The extended battery being essentially a keyboard stand instead of sticking out of the back of the machine makes it a lot more palatable, in my opinion.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
About to pull the trigger on a T440p. i7-4700MQ, GT730M, FHD screen, AC wireless $1312 through B&N. Mostly for programming and school/campus use, some video editing. Am I making a terrible mistake? It doesn't seem that much thicker/heavier than the T440s and I like the full volt processors.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Note that the T440p is probably 4.7 lbs. It says 4.7 lbs under "Tech Specs" and says 4.1 lbs on the side bar, which is probably a transcription error. It also says 4.7 lbs in PDF files and other locations.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

shrughes posted:

Note that the T440p is probably 4.7 lbs. It says 4.7 lbs under "Tech Specs" and says 4.1 lbs on the side bar, which is probably a transcription error. It also says 4.7 lbs in PDF files and other locations.

That still doesn't seem that bulky, though I guess I won't know until I get it in my hands. My only concern is the cooling, with a i7MQ and discrete graphics, it might be a little hot.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

mmm11105 posted:

About to pull the trigger on a T440p. i7-4700MQ, GT730M, FHD screen, AC wireless $1312 through B&N. Mostly for programming and school/campus use, some video editing. Am I making a terrible mistake? It doesn't seem that much thicker/heavier than the T440s and I like the full volt processors.

That is a recipe for more than just a "little video editing."

You are going to love it, but in my opinion it will take a lot more than light editing to get your money's worth. If you work that build, you could squeeze a Senior Thesis out of it without much trouble.

That processor is outrageous :3:

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 29, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

gman14msu posted:

A few other questions before ordering:

Is it worth $100 to upgrade from the i5-4200U to the i5-4300U?

The idea is to keep the RAM and HD standard, planning on to replace them myself later on with an SSD and more RAM, correct?

Should I upgrade to the Intel Dual Band wireleess 7260AC for $30? If there's any noticeable difference between this and standard, I'm in for $30, I'm just not sure if there is any.

I pretty much have the same questions and would love thoughts...

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

P.N.T.M. posted:

That is a recipe for more than just a "little video editing."

You are going to love it, but in my opinion it will take a lot more than light editing to get your money's worth. If you work that build, you could squeeze a Senior Thesis out of it without much trouble.

That processor is outrageous :3:

Yeah but I wanted the 730M anyways, so the crazy processor was only $100 more. Since I want to try to ~4 years, I figured it would be good future proofing.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I pretty much have the same questions and would love thoughts...

The 4200U's clocks are 1.6GHz base, 2.6GHz/2.3GHz turbo (2 and 1 cores respectively)
The 4300U is 1.9 base, 2.9/2.6GHz

The i7-4500U is 1.8 base, 3.0/2.7 and it has a slightly larger cache.
Essentially the 4300U is the i7-4500U but with ever so slightly slower turbo and less cache. If a ~10-15% faster processor is worth $100 to use then you should buy it.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I just went ahead and ordered it, so I guess I get to be SA's guinea pig on the T440p.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Barring a disaster or some drastic price cuts somewhere else, I'll be ordering a T440s with this configuration on Friday:

• Intel Core i5-4300U Processor on Mother Board
• Windows 8 Pro 64
• Windows 8 Pro 64 English
• T440s 14.0 HD+ WWAN
• Intel HD Graphics 4400
• 4 GB DDR3L - SDRAM 1600MHz Base
• Keyboard Backlit - US English
• Fingerprint Reader, dock
• 720p HD Camera
• 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
• 16GB M.2 Solid State Drive Single
• 3rd M.2 SSD slot
• ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr)
• ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr)
• 45W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
• Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AC with Bluetooth 4.0
• Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
• Publication - US English
• Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 (North America) - English
• 1 Year Depot or Carry-in

Planning on dropping an SSD and more RAM in it myself. Any recommendations or criticisms?

Also, would the tutorial that QuarkJets posted about modding his Y410p be applicable to the T440s as well? Can anyone recommend RAM, or give some pointers on which brands to avoid at least? I've already got a good idea of what SSD to use from the SSD thread.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you're getting an SSD then what's with this?

quote:

• 16GB M.2 Solid State Drive Single

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

If you're getting an SSD then what's with this?
You can't remove it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
What's the cheapest 1920x1080 resolution laptop available? I see some UX31A Zenbook on Amazon for like $750.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I have this old (like 4 years I think) laptop. It's a Dell XPS M1530, if the case is to be believed. Anyway, it has the Core 2 Duo and an nVidia 8600M GT. I get scary notifications about old drivers all the time, the internal temperature jumps to 85 when I open anything more intense than Firefox, and the case is coming apart. I think I need a new computer. I was thinking a Thinkpad T430, but there's so many options and stuff to choose. While basically anything would be an upgrade, I like the idea of being able to play modern games on my laptop. I've been playing everything on the lowest possible specs for so long that I don't really care about graphics quality, just performance. As in, getting a game to run is good performance. So I'm thinking one of the i5 options, with the display upgrade, maybe a wireless upgrade? I don't really know what I am doing, and I don't have a good handle on the various choices. Like what is the marginal difference between the HD4000 graphics card and the nVidia upgrade? Basically, I would like the flexibility to have a wide range of different games run, but I don't care too much about getting to high performance with them. I don't really know the value of some of these options, like the wireless things, but they seem important. What is a good set of options and a price range for a T430 that can run a good range of games on low to medium with no trouble?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

T430 is last years laptop. You want a T440.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
What's so great about a T440 compared to a T430?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Haswell, mostly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Plus you can get a real screen :haw:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If you're having trouble booting off the SATA port in your Lenovo with an mSATA drive, check to see that the SATA device isn't being hidden in the boot devices before ripping your laptop and drives apart 3 times to make sure the connections are good. Makes sense when you don't want to boot off 'D: (Data)' by accident but throws you for a loop when you try to switch stuff around.

I've got Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my Crucial 64GB mSATA SSD and Windows 7 going on my 240GB Mushkin SSD. Pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does your Dell 6430u smell like cat piss? Apparently it's a common problem.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19512174.aspx

:catstare: