Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All handy, thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Is there a good "Hyper-V for VMware dudes" primer? Most of the stuff is pretty straightforward but I'd love to read something that approaches teaching the material from that angle.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/in_the_cloud/archive/2013/10/29/microsoft-wants-to-help-vmware-experts-future-proof-their-career.aspx

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

My Avatar is a Red Avatar

Martytoof posted:

All handy, thanks guys!

PM me with any specific questions, I work for MS and I support Hyper-V. Depending on the version of the OS there is a big difference on capabilities.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Does the thread have any recommendations for 10GbE switches that aren't stupidly expensive?

We're trying to build a warm failover environment with physical hardware redundancy. Our storage vendor prefers to do this with direct 10GbE links between the hardware, but that only works with two storage node and one VM node. With two storage nodes and two VM nodes, we need a switch involved.

Most 10GbE switches that I can find are way, way outside of our price range. Like, we could add two more VM nodes for as much as one costs. The only affordable one I've found is the Netgear XS712T. I have no experience with any of their managed equipment.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

McGlockenshire posted:

Does the thread have any recommendations for 10GbE switches that aren't stupidly expensive?

We're trying to build a warm failover environment with physical hardware redundancy. Our storage vendor prefers to do this with direct 10GbE links between the hardware, but that only works with two storage node and one VM node. With two storage nodes and two VM nodes, we need a switch involved.

Most 10GbE switches that I can find are way, way outside of our price range. Like, we could add two more VM nodes for as much as one costs. The only affordable one I've found is the Netgear XS712T. I have no experience with any of their managed equipment.
10GbE is still expensive (but not as expensive as FC or InfiniBand). There's no way around that. Price per port comes down as port count goes up; I wouldn't even consider anything less than 32-port from a price perspective.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
10Gb is great but a lot of 10Gb is with converged networking, and cost per port.

I'd be interested in your setup actually, I'm a bit puzzled. Are you doing some SAN based replication?

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I'm having issues with my vSphere Client in my homelab setup on a ESXi Whitebox. It's been easy as hell to setup and you all have been very informative in this thread (and others). What I have done so far is very minimal such as setting up a Windows Server 2012 DC or 2 with WSUS and such... no vCenter, nothing like that. I recently tried setting up Veeam on one of my Server VMs which worked fine until I started getting these odd crashes. I'm not sure if it's connected to Veeam at all (it shouldn't be?), but now the vSphere Windows clieent is crashing with the following errors:
http://i.imgur.com/wAEKNN5.png and then the Event Viewer log is showing: http://i.imgur.com/Zb08pol.png. My vSphere client log is here: http://pastebin.com/wK9g2TWw. Basically Runtime errors connected to the Remote Console Plugin? I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it past that and my Googling and discussions in #vmware aren't getting very far. I've even made a new Windows 8 VM (on my local machine using Workstation) and loaded up the vSphere Client thinking it was going to work fine (and it be a local problem with my machine) but it also crashed with the same error. Even when I'm not consoled into any VMs, it crashes... and it seems as if its fairly random when it happens. When it crashes without any of the consoles open, it only gives a "server no longer valid" error. I'm really at a loss of what to do besides just wipe my ESXi boot drive and start from scratch... figured I would ask for some advice before taking that step.

dox fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 31, 2013

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I'd be interested in your setup actually, I'm a bit puzzled. Are you doing some SAN based replication?

Basically, we'll have two VM hosts, each of which is capable of supporting our entire infrastructure, but we'll be dividing the day to day load between them.

The storage is Nexenta, so ZFS-based. My understanding is that it keeps a rolling log of changes made to each block and can transmit the log to other machines. It's not real-time, but our use case doesn't mandate real-time. In the event of a disaster, it's acceptable for us to lose a minute or three of data.

I know that GbE is expensive, but it seems that everyone's hiding their 12, 16 or 24 port hardware. I don't want to buy some 48 port behemoth when I need less than a dozen.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

McGlockenshire posted:

Basically, we'll have two VM hosts, each of which is capable of supporting our entire infrastructure, but we'll be dividing the day to day load between them.

The storage is Nexenta, so ZFS-based. My understanding is that it keeps a rolling log of changes made to each block and can transmit the log to other machines. It's not real-time, but our use case doesn't mandate real-time. In the event of a disaster, it's acceptable for us to lose a minute or three of data.

I know that GbE is expensive, but it seems that everyone's hiding their 12, 16 or 24 port hardware. I don't want to buy some 48 port behemoth when I need less than a dozen.

Ahh okay that makes sense.

dox posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I'm having issues with my vSphere Client in my homelab setup on a ESXi Whitebox. It's been easy as hell to setup and you all have been very informative in this thread (and others). What I have done so far is very minimal such as setting up a Windows Server 2012 DC or 2 with WSUS and such... no vCenter, nothing like that. I recently tried setting up Veeam on one of my Server VMs which worked fine until I started getting these odd crashes. I'm not sure if it's connected to Veeam at all (it shouldn't be?), but now the vSphere Windows clieent is crashing with the following errors:
http://i.imgur.com/wAEKNN5.png and then the Event Viewer log is showing: http://i.imgur.com/Zb08pol.png. My vSphere client log is here: http://pastebin.com/wK9g2TWw. Basically Runtime errors connected to the Remote Console Plugin? I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it past that and my Googling and discussions in #vmware aren't getting very far. I've even made a new Windows 8 VM (on my local machine using Workstation) and loaded up the vSphere Client thinking it was going to work fine (and it be a local problem with my machine) but it also crashed with the same error. Even when I'm not consoled into any VMs, it crashes... and it seems as if its fairly random when it happens. When it crashes without any of the consoles open, it only gives a "server no longer valid" error. I'm really at a loss of what to do besides just wipe my ESXi boot drive and start from scratch... figured I would ask for some advice before taking that step.

What's your whitebox setup. I've seen poo poo like this when VMware is installed on a whitebox with a flaky nic

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 31, 2013

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Ahh okay that makes sense.

What's your whitebox setup. I've seen poo poo like this when VMware is installed on a whitebox with a flaky nic

i5-2500k + ASUS P867 Pro with a quad port Intel PRO/1000. I went ahead and just reinstalled my ESXi host, so don't worry about it... let's hope I never have to deal with that again.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Signing up for PEX at early bird special.

Hope ya'll are going I know I owe one of you guys a dinner! Would love to do a goon meetup.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I CJ for like 20 users spread over 3 different physical locations, most of which are running POS software on very old computers running XP.
Since Windows XP is nearing the end of its support cycle, I'm exploring our upgrade options. I use RDC (locally and remotely) to fix poo poo when it breaks, so I have a little familiarity with this virtualization stuff.

Aside from the obvious solution (deploying a bunch of new computers) I'm exploring a thin/zero client configuration, over gigabit ethernet, with a server for each physical location. Our POS software is a dot net application with pretty minimal requirements, and each user needs web access to a few specific lightweight webpages.

Three questions:
1. What server version of Windows would be good to host like 12 of these clients max?
2. How snappy is the user experience... Like, is it laggy like Remote Desktop Connection can be sometimes, or is it pretty smooth?
3. While we wait for a native tablet version of our POS software, might it be possible to use a Surface as a thin client?

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 3, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Anyone else here teach VMware? Sounds like the CC I work with wants to do online classes, would love some insight as how others do it.

Hey, so my wife is getting a PhD in adult education and has a lot of knowledge about online teaching specifically. Obviously she doesn't know anything about VMWare, and I'm not sure how much leeway there is when teaching a VCP class, but if you if you're interested in any tips or advice on how to run an effective online courses, let me know.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

VirtualBox 4.3.2 came out on Friday, and it fixes almost all of the showstopper multi-monitor/auto-resize bugs that surfaced in 4.3.0. Liking it a lot so far.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
VSphere question:

I have 2 vsphere hosts with 2 x E5-2650s and 64GB of ram each.

I have been given the approval to buy (badly needed) more hardware. I want to do two things. One, I have an application that needs pure MHz. I want to get E5-2643 v2 (6@3.5ghz). I also want to add more regular hosts for our general vSphere pool. These I would prefer to upgrade to the new v2 Ivy Bridges as well. Is there a penalty for vMotion or anything besides FT (which I don't want to do) if I don't have 100% identical hardware?

I can separate off vsphere/vcenter clusters if necessary as the application that it is hosting is 100% justified for the demand but it would not be ideal.

Basically, how homogeneous does vSphere need to be?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Read up on "VMware EVC". Basically your hosts will be set to the lowest common denominator in terms of CPU features that are supported by every host in the cluster. This might be totally fine, or might totally crap on the performance of that CPU intensive app if it relies on an instruction that only exists in very new CPU's.

Also you can't vMotion between Intel and AMD hosts but it doesn't sound like you were considering that anyway.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

McGlockenshire posted:

We've used the Powerconnect 8100 series for a year doing iscsi for our production environment and so far, knock on wood, no issues with it. Is it as cheap as a Netgear, no, but no, you don't want none of that.

Super Secret Saver Pro tip, get the F model and buy the twinax cables as you need capacity, you'll save money and gain more flexibility.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

We've used the Powerconnect 8100 series for a year doing iscsi for our production environment and so far, knock on wood, no issues with it. Is it as cheap as a Netgear, no, but no, you don't want none of that.

Super Secret Saver Pro tip, get the F model and buy the twinax cables as you need capacity, you'll save money and gain more flexibility.

We have the same and have the same remarks.

Stupid easy - plug and play. If you don't get cute, it's rock solid.

Other pro tip, don't buy your cables from Dell. CablesOnDemand.com will save you 70+% Which at 24x3m cables for us was ~5000 vs 1250 - double that for 48 ports obviously

KennyG fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 4, 2013

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

vas0line posted:

I CJ for like 20 users spread over 3 different physical locations, most of which are running POS software on very old computers running XP.
Since Windows XP is nearing the end of its support cycle, I'm exploring our upgrade options. I use RDC (locally and remotely) to fix poo poo when it breaks, so I have a little familiarity with this virtualization stuff.

Aside from the obvious solution (deploying a bunch of new computers) I'm exploring a thin/zero client configuration, over gigabit ethernet, with a server for each physical location. Our POS software is a dot net application with pretty minimal requirements, and each user needs web access to a few specific lightweight webpages.

Three questions:
1. What server version of Windows would be good to host like 12 of these clients max?
2. How snappy is the user experience... Like, is it laggy like Remote Desktop Connection can be sometimes, or is it pretty smooth?
3. While we wait for a native tablet version of our POS software, might it be possible to use a Surface as a thin client?

Since no one has bit on this yet, I'll give my 2 cents. Strictly speaking, using Remote Desktop to do remote work is not virtualization.

Doing VDI for 3 separate offices would be be a tremendous outlay of capital and hardware for very little gain. For that number of machines, I would consider buying all new hardware and just make an image to deploy to make the upgrade easier. Another option would be using terminal services server at each location (or a central one if bandwidth between locales is good).

A Surface Pro is literally a laptop that can run any app. The Surface is an ARM tablet that only runs Windows RT (or whatever they are calling it now) apps from the MS store.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I'm going to have a really hard time getting approval to buy anything Dell here. Don't ask.

Do they actually manufacture those, or are they relabeled?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's a good resource for VMware licensing?

Right now we have a 3-node cluster of Xeon E5335's with 40GB of RAM running vSphere 4 Advanced, and then a 2-node cluster in our disaster recovery datacenter.

We plan on going up to a pair of 2-node clusters of Xeon E5-2670's with 96GB RAM.

Would our current version of VMware be compatible? My boss thinks we are 'under maintenance' so we could upgrade to whatever the current version is, for free.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

McGlockenshire posted:

I'm going to have a really hard time getting approval to buy anything Dell here. Don't ask.

Do they actually manufacture those, or are they relabeled?

8100 I couldn't say for certain, usually it's Brocade.

There's plenty of other vendors out there, that's just one of the cheaper ones that I trust enough to recommend. I wouldn't let vendor animosity steer you toward a 'prosumer' grade switch like a netgear. A cheap switch will likely cause your major headaches.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

What's a good resource for VMware licensing?

Right now we have a 3-node cluster of Xeon E5335's with 40GB of RAM running vSphere 4 Advanced, and then a 2-node cluster in our disaster recovery datacenter.

We plan on going up to a pair of 2-node clusters of Xeon E5-2670's with 96GB RAM.

Would our current version of VMware be compatible? My boss thinks we are 'under maintenance' so we could upgrade to whatever the current version is, for free.

Whatever VAR you use (or even your Dell or HP rep) should be able to reach out to VMware's licensing guys and get you answers. That's what I've done in the past when coming into an environment where the licenses were a total clusterfuck and no one knew the status of our support contracts or even what licenses we owned.

Your boss is probably right, for once. As long as you have an active service and support contract with VMware you're entitled to upgrade to the latest version (of the same edition, of course) for free.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Docjowles posted:

Whatever VAR you use (or even your Dell or HP rep) should be able to reach out to VMware's licensing guys and get you answers. That's what I've done in the past when coming into an environment where the licenses were a total clusterfuck and no one knew the status of our support contracts or even what licenses we owned.

Your boss is probably right, for once. As long as you have an active service and support contract with VMware you're entitled to upgrade to the latest version (of the same edition, of course) for free.

A support contract lets you upgrade to the latest version period. No support contract still lets you get the latest x.5 release (so no matter what, you can upgrade to 4.5).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FISHMANPET posted:

(so no matter what, you can upgrade to 4.5).

There was an ESX/i 4.5?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Uh, nope, only 4.1. Guess I misremembered that.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
This question's probably aimed at evol262, but here for anyone else as well:

We've got some junky vendor Windows application which they seem to tie to the UUID accessible via PowerShell in the win32_computersystemproduct WMI object, which is linked to the IdentifyingNumber in that same object (pulled from CIM_product apparently). As an example from a random VMware VM in my infrastructure:
code:
> Get-WmiObject win32_computersystemproduct | fl identifyingnumber,uuid,name,vendor

identifyingnumber : VMware-42 31 03 56 10 17 de a8-2a 5f 41 70 a5 3e 10 0a
uuid              : 56033142-1710-A8DE-2A5F-4170A53E100A
name              : VMware Virtual Platform
vendor            : VMware, Inc.
So, identical aside from formatting and a prefix.

On the VMware side, this UUID is specified in the vmx configuration file and shouldn't ever change:
code:
# cat server.vmx | grep uuid.bios
uuid.bios = "42 31 03 56 10 17 de a8-2a 5f 41 70 a5 3e 10 0a"
Now, we have a virtual machine with our hosting company running the same software. They're apparently on a RedHat platform based on device names I can see in Device Manager (e.g. Red Hat VirtIO SCSI controller).

On that machine, the UUID seems to fluctuate periodically, which breaks our vendor software. Checking the same WMI object on that server:
code:
> get-wmiobject win32_computersystemproduct | fl identifyingnumber,uuid,name,vendor

identifyingnumber :
uuid              : 2214DBC4-102A-E311-B4AA-DC38FFE645B5
name              : Bochs
vendor            : Bochs
I'd guess it's fluctuating periodically because there's no hardware IdentifyingNumber being provided by the virtual machine hardware, as would be done in the vmx for VMware, so it's just regenerated every time x happens. I'm not sure if this is a misconfiguration our hosting company's side, or something we should look at the vendor to fix. Any comment?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Mierdaan posted:

This question's probably aimed at evol262, but here for anyone else as well:

We've got some junky vendor Windows application which they seem to tie to the UUID accessible via PowerShell in the win32_computersystemproduct WMI object, which is linked to the IdentifyingNumber in that same object (pulled from CIM_product apparently). As an example from a random VMware VM in my infrastructure:
code:
> Get-WmiObject win32_computersystemproduct | fl identifyingnumber,uuid,name,vendor

identifyingnumber : VMware-42 31 03 56 10 17 de a8-2a 5f 41 70 a5 3e 10 0a
uuid              : 56033142-1710-A8DE-2A5F-4170A53E100A
name              : VMware Virtual Platform
vendor            : VMware, Inc.
So, identical aside from formatting and a prefix.

On the VMware side, this UUID is specified in the vmx configuration file and shouldn't ever change:
code:
# cat server.vmx | grep uuid.bios
uuid.bios = "42 31 03 56 10 17 de a8-2a 5f 41 70 a5 3e 10 0a"
Now, we have a virtual machine with our hosting company running the same software. They're apparently on a RedHat platform based on device names I can see in Device Manager (e.g. Red Hat VirtIO SCSI controller).

On that machine, the UUID seems to fluctuate periodically, which breaks our vendor software. Checking the same WMI object on that server:
code:
> get-wmiobject win32_computersystemproduct | fl identifyingnumber,uuid,name,vendor

identifyingnumber :
uuid              : 2214DBC4-102A-E311-B4AA-DC38FFE645B5
name              : Bochs
vendor            : Bochs
I'd guess it's fluctuating periodically because there's no hardware IdentifyingNumber being provided by the virtual machine hardware, as would be done in the vmx for VMware, so it's just regenerated every time x happens. I'm not sure if this is a misconfiguration our hosting company's side, or something we should look at the vendor to fix. Any comment?
It's not technically true that the VM hardware doesn't specify it. qemu-kvm -uuid ${some_uuid} passes through (I'm assuming your product is essentially checking the equivalent of dmidecode -s system-uuid, or the UUID encoded in the BIOS, uuid.bios in a VMX). Tell your hosting company to stop being retarded.

I don't know what they're doing, but qemu-kvm (the command line) allows it to be set. They're probably migrating your machine around without using libvirt with some script that calls qemu-kvm without a -uuid parameter and you get poo poo on with whatever random UUID it generates. libvirt sets it in the VM XML file by default. They absolutely have the ability to control this.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks, that's extremely helpful.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Mierdaan posted:

Thanks, that's extremely helpful.

Have some docs and what's probably a relevant bug report (about the Canonical developers making the same mistake your hosting company is making) to show them.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is it possible to set up some kind of virtual machine I can connect to while the host computer is being used? I have a laptop and an iPad. The issue is that there are some simple apps I want to want to run on the Laptop while my wife is also using it. Apparently consumer versions of Windows don't allow you to have two sessions concurrently so I can't just use RDP.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Does anyone know of a real world actual use case for FT? I can't really think of any outside of some theoretical edge cases.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

Does anyone know of a real world actual use case for FT? I can't really think of any outside of some theoretical edge cases.

Mission-critical apps that can't be down for as long as it takes HA to kick-in, yet still only require 1 vCPU? Yeah, you're not alone in scratching your head at that one.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Have some docs and what's probably a relevant bug report (about the Canonical developers making the same mistake your hosting company is making) to show them.

Talked to said hosting company, they admitted that this is the problem but since most of their guests are Linux they don't really care. :sigh:

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Nah because organizations that need true fault tolerance would drop the cash on something like these (and they support vSphere too).

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Don't worry guys vSMP FT is coming soon*******

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
How much free memory on the host does a VM in a vSphere 5 require to start? Is it the full amount of memory the VM is allocated, its reservation, some subset? I feel like I've read conflicting answers to this.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How much free memory on the host does a VM in a vSphere 5 require to start? Is it the full amount of memory the VM is allocated, its reservation, some subset? I feel like I've read conflicting answers to this.
Are we assuming admission control is disabled?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
vSphere HA deep dive covers this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I stopped receiving emails from our vSphere Data Protection appliance in the morning, so I logged in today and it was slow as hell (though backups were still run the night before). I decided to reboot the VM since it was acting so weird, and now it's stuck on "Starting VDP appliance systems. Estimated time to complete: 10 minutes." It's been stuck like this for half an hour now.

I'm thinking of just scrapping the VDP install, and starting fresh with a larger image (we used the 0.5TB one before) so I figured I'd go for the 1TB one. It turns out there's a new version of VDP (5.5.1), but it doesn't have different ova files for different sizes.

So first question: most of our environment is on 5.1 right now. Should I just download the 5.1 1TB ova for VDP, or am I better off going ahead and getting the latest? If I'm better off going with the latest, what happened to the different sized VDP tiers? The one that's listed is "0.0TB" does this mean the image is variable now, and I choose a size as it installs?