Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

Dehry posted:

Zelda 3DS up for preorder at Gamestop :siren: http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/consoles/nintendo-3ds-xl-gold-and-black-with-the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-between-worlds/112313 :siren:

E: I'm not getting one myself. 200bux $250 with standard shipping is enough for an HDTV and several games around the same time it comes out.

Actually, a quick google for gamestop deals (I can't reeeeaaaally justify buying that XL on my budget since I already have a blue XL), it looks like there's a coupon code for free shipping on orders over $25. Not that it's that big a deal, but that still brings it back closer to $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

surc posted:

Actually, a quick google for gamestop deals (I can't reeeeaaaally justify buying that XL on my budget since I already have a blue XL), it looks like there's a coupon code for free shipping on orders over $25. Not that it's that big a deal, but that still brings it back closer to $200.

Looks like that deal excludes consoles.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Ah. :(

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Is that Zelda XL Gamestop exclusive? Amazon has started selling Nintendo systems again and it would be nice to save on tax/shipping.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's a Holiday/Zelda bundle. It's best to get in early if you REALLY want it and don't want to pay flippers a high mark up rate.

E:Looking at the "Deals" websites where the people who do the flipping are, they are hoping for a lower price or not wanting to pay money to Gamestop. They are still reeling over the Pokemon XY ones not being $700 right now.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 29, 2013

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Dehry posted:

It's a Holiday/Zelda bundle. It's best to get in early if you REALLY want it and don't want to pay flippers a high mark up rate.

E:Looking at the "Deals" websites where the people who do the flipping are, they are hoping for a lower price or not wanting to pay money to Gamestop. They are still reeling over the Pokemon XY ones not being $700 right now.

Good serves them right :D I hope the Zelda one is printed in enough numbers that the vultures get shafted a second time.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I ordered one. Really hope Amazon puts them up as well so I don't get shafted on shipping.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Going to have to check my EB Games in :canada: to see if they are getting one. I still need to try out a 2DS as well. If I prefer the feel to that I'll just buy that.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Aardvark Barber posted:

I ordered one. Really hope Amazon puts them up as well so I don't get shafted on shipping.

Is it online only? No in-store pre order?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So as of the 31st nintendo is putting up charging cradles up on club nintendo for points. If I get one of those are their any 3ds xl covers that won't make it too bulk to still sit in the cradle? I just bought my xl when x/y came out and don't want to rub away the paint on the metal faceplate in on the back, if that's even possible.

EDIT: Well, poo poo wish I had known about the zelda ds, would have waited and got one of those. Got the blue pokemon one, which is still nice, but man...

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 29, 2013

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

Is that Zelda XL Gamestop exclusive? Amazon has started selling Nintendo systems again and it would be nice to save on tax/shipping.

There is nothing on the official site or anywhere else that indicates that it's a Gamestop exclusive. However, Gamestop seems to be the only place doing pre-orders right now, but it was just announced so that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I'm definitely going to get this. It will be my first 3DS, and I've been having a hard time deciding between an XL or a 2DS, but a Zelda bundle made that choice pretty easy.

Edit: Actually, on here where it says, "Where to buy" Gamestop is the only store listed. Maybe it is Gamestop exclusive http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/buy#/3dsxl-zelda

BowieFett fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 29, 2013

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
How does a system transfer work if the new one comes with pre-installed software? Would the new Zelda automatically be added to my account? Is it copied over and lost in the process?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Newegg is selling it, too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Spuzzz posted:

How does a system transfer work if the new one comes with pre-installed software? Would the new Zelda automatically be added to my account? Is it copied over and lost in the process?
Zelda gets merged into your account. System does get formatted though, so you'll have to go redownload it from the eshop.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Does anyone know around what time the rewards shop usually gets updated? I want to grab one of those charging docks on the 31 but I'm afraid they'll run out really quickly.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Newegg is selling it, too.

Showing up as out of stock to me, though.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

fount of knowledge posted:

Showing up as out of stock to me, though.

I signed up with them to email me when it was available and never got an email saying it was ever in stock in the first place.

Derisory
Apr 26, 2010
It's showing up as available on Amazon.Ca, it's only a matter of time before it shows up on the regular site.

http://www.amazon.ca/Nintendo-Gold-3DS-Legend-Zelda/dp/B00FXOP1MU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383091911&sr=8-4&keywords=link+between+worlds

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Cross-posting from the Animal Crossing thread:

Oh, man. I have been on a hiatus from AC:NL but finally set some time aside to play tonight. Unfortunately, each time I try to run the game it comes up with a black error screen that insists that I hold the power button down and start the 3DS over gain.

If I had to guess, I'll have to re-download the title (and therefore restart my whole drat town). Does anybody have experience with this or (preferably) a solution?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spuzzz posted:

Since it looks like the Zelda 3DS comes with a code, you can just do the transfer first then redeem the code.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Sean posted:

Cross-posting from the Animal Crossing thread:

Oh, man. I have been on a hiatus from AC:NL but finally set some time aside to play tonight. Unfortunately, each time I try to run the game it comes up with a black error screen that insists that I hold the power button down and start the 3DS over gain.

If I had to guess, I'll have to re-download the title (and therefore restart my whole drat town). Does anybody have experience with this or (preferably) a solution?

Try repairing it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Holy crap, one of this year's JP Club Nintendo platinum rewards is a digital copy of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, a game that was never released in Japan despite being fully localised:

http://club.nintendo.jp/rank2013/famicomwars/index.html

It's listed as "DSiWare", but it's the full game and can't actually be redeemed on DSi. They're also gonna be making it available as a regular CN reward in May of next year.

Goddamn, Japan. Throw a bone to the rest of us every now and again!

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah just read this, and, WELL poo poo, the things this could lead to if Nintendo puts in the effort is amazing.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I hope this is a sign of things to come. I'd like to see a couple of those rare DS games come out again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dehry posted:

I hope this is a sign of things to come. I'd like to see a couple of those rare DS games come out again.

At the very least it means we might get Ace Attorney Investigations 2 if we're really lucky.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Holy crap, one of this year's JP Club Nintendo platinum rewards is a digital copy of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, a game that was never released in Japan despite being fully localised:

And, it's already available for DL right now for JP Plat members. I just did.

The other Platinum gift is the usual desktop calendar.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

It's listed as "DSiWare", but it's the full game and can't actually be redeemed on DSi. They're also gonna be making it available as a regular CN reward in May of next year.

Goddamn, Japan. Throw a bone to the rest of us every now and again!

So now Japan is basically proving to us that they can throw full DS games up as downloads.

Whether or not they'll extend this outside of Club Nintendo (Or outside of Japan) is a mystery but here's hoping.

Of course, in a way its not terribly feasible since they're labelled as DSiWare, and thus probably will only save to the internal memory, meaning you probably can't have very many games on there anyway.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DS games aren't as large as 3DS games though so it won't be TOO bad. They can run as small as 64 MB, which is like 512 blocks.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You can swap DSiWare between system memory and the SD card freely; you just can't run it from the SD card.

Although yeah, Days of Ruin would take up like a third of your DSiWare space.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If they can't patch the system to let you run them from SD, a dynamic loader that keeps the game files in SD storage might work. Copy them to DSiWare memory on run. Leave the most recent games in there for faster load.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
We don't actually know how IntSys got the game running as "DSiWare"; if they had to actually port/convert it to get it to run in this fashion then it's probably not gonna be applicable to 99% of DS games, especially if they're from third-party devs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

People thought the Wii U could never display Wii Mode on the Gamepad either, so we shouldn't make assumptions based on a lack of data in EITHER direction. Just because it's not currently possible to download and run a DS game off of the SD card doesn't mean it will never be possible, but there are logistics to take care of and we know how Nintendo is with logistics.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Wait, seriously? They never released it in Japan? This blows my mind. In other news I completely forgot that I bought Fractured Soul and stumbled upon it while I waited for the doctor. This is a drat good game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This situation I proposed isn't really comparable to displaying Wii games on the Gamepad, it's closer to patching Wii games to use Gamepad controls in place of Wiimote controls - it's not something you can simply fake or add a toggle for in most cases, and if it requires individual developers to do any sort of additional work it absolutely won't happen for the vast majority of games.

Capcom couldn't even keep the AAI2 team together long enough to localise the game, god knows how they or anyone else is gonna find the time/personnel to convert their crap to not-DSiWare, should it come to that.

Dangerous Person posted:

Wait, seriously? They never released it in Japan? This blows my mind. In other news I completely forgot that I bought Fractured Soul and stumbled upon it while I waited for the doctor. This is a drat good game.

Seriously. It was developed in Japan and there's a complete Japanese script hidden away in the ROM but the game never came out over there.

They didn't get the original Advance Wars game for GBA at the same time as us, either - Nintendo cancelled the release due to 9/11, but it eventually got a two-in-one release with AW2.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Quest For Glory II posted:

People thought the Wii U could never display Wii Mode on the Gamepad either, so we shouldn't make assumptions based on a lack of data in EITHER direction. Just because it's not currently possible to download and run a DS game off of the SD card doesn't mean it will never be possible, but there are logistics to take care of and we know how Nintendo is with logistics.

The way the Wii patched in off-the-sdcard play was pretty smart and didnt actually force the Wii or the games to do anything they werent designed for anyways. The only problem I see with doing something like that for DSiware games is that the save files are built right into the game file itself. They would have to make it so the game saves and then recopies itself back to your SD card every time you quit

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
As their platinum prize Japan is getting Advanced Wars Days of Ruin as an eShop download. Is this a sign of DS game downloads on the eShop?
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=215775

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

They would have to make it so the game saves and then recopies itself back to your SD card every time you quit

Not the whole thing, though, it'd be pretty easy to just do the changed blocks. Hell, you don't even have to do it on every quit, just do it when the system-memory copy of the file is going to get removed and replaced with a different game.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I really, really hope this means I'll be able to get the Ace Attorney games. In Germany they are 40+€ for a used copy, and gently caress that noise.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I assume it doesn't help if you are posting that, but Ace Attorney Trilogy HD is on iThing. $17 I think for the first three games. The art has horrible smoothing that's slightly balanced by the better screens and there's a bunch of slowdown but it's better than paying $20 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

MikeJF posted:

If they can't patch the system to let you run them from SD, a dynamic loader that keeps the game files in SD storage might work. Copy them to DSiWare memory on run. Leave the most recent games in there for faster load.

Wouldn't that just be like how the SD Card Channel worked on the Wii? That would mean if you fill up the space for DSiWare Memory you wouldn't be able to run games off the SD card anyway because it would try to temporarily copy the data to the already full space and be unable to do so.

• Locked thread