Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
One of the things I like about Unreal World is that while the combat system is complex, it's also practically optional. With enough passive food from trapping/fishing/farming and clothes from trading, it is entirely possible to survive the entire game as a pacifist. Furthermore, it's pretty hard to get a completely invincible character. Even with maxed out stats and the best armour in the game, if a random bandit can get one lucky shot in, you get knocked out and almost certainly stabbed to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Hmm...one of the few roguelikes I haven't tried. Maybe I should...

Download it now just in case. It's currently free, but that might change in the future. For quite a few years it was pay to play only.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Yeah, there's no reason not to try UnReal World now that it's free. I love the game, just wish it had more stuff to do once you pass a certain point.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013
I like Roguelikes in part because I like to tinker with them.

What Roguelikes are most amenable to modding?

(Being open source so I can hack the source code and compile it myself does count as "amenable to modding" if the source code is reasonably readable.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dodge Charms posted:

(Being open source so I can hack the source code and compile it myself does count as "amenable to modding" if the source code is reasonably readable.)

Angband has been the posterchild for some time but ToME4 and DoomRL are probably better in that regard now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dodge Charms posted:

DCSS is pretty much ideal for this, especially since you can have your changes reflected in the actual release builds if they're competent and sensible.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Bouchacha posted:

DF got the idea for its detailed combat from UnReal World.

Yeah but you don't really fight that much in it..

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

That's all true but I don't know of any other roguelike that has a combat system as detailed, do you?

Closest I can think of is maybe IVAN.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dodge Charms posted:

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is an ambitious roguelike that let's anyone add to the source code, and is made by the people.

You can find the source code here.
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dodge Charms posted:

Brogue has readable source. But it doesn't have debug symbols, so I've never gotten it to build properly myself.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013
Thanks all.

I've already contributed to DCSS and ToME4, so I'll check out Cataclysm and Brogue.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Bouchacha posted:

That's all true but I don't know of any other roguelike that has a combat system as detailed, do you?

Closest I can think of is maybe IVAN.

No I don't, which is why I asked. I like DF adventure mode because of the combat and the amount of said combat, but the questing system and adventuring isn't as good as I'd like.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
drat, started playing CoQ again, and just start a character, enter the first quest place at red rock and on the first level a regular old scavenger throws something at me that just freezes me solid. Couldn't do anything about it.

Also what do these things mean:

Skwee fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 30, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Skwee posted:

what do these things mean

QN: Quickness. This affects how fast all of your actions are. With 200 quickness, you'd take turns twice as often as an enemy with 100 quickness. The only way I've seen to change it is through mutations.
MS: Move Speed. Like quickness, but it only affects movement.
T: I'm not sure about this one.
MA: Don't know what it stands for, but it's your defense against psychic attacks like Sunder Mind. It scales with either will or ego.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

QN: Quickness. This affects how fast all of your actions are. With 200 quickness, you'd take turns twice as often as an enemy with 100 quickness. The only way I've seen to change it is through mutations.
MS: Move Speed. Like quickness, but it only affects movement.
T: I'm not sure about this one.
MA: Don't know what it stands for, but it's your defense against psychic attacks like Sunder Mind. It scales with either will or ego.

"T" is temperature. Higher temperatures means you start taking damage unless you have sufficient fire resistance; lower temperatures similarly means you start taking damage unless you have sufficient cold resistance. Also, if you have the "cold-blooded" mutation, lower temperatures means you suffer from reduced Quickness.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Alright thanks. how about the things on the right?

Also having a food problem on my best character yet. Starving with no way of getting food that I know of.

e: actually found a food source. Was previously killing poo poo and hoping my butcher worked, now I am harvesting watervines.

e: then died immediate afterwards to a chaingun turret.

e: I think i figured out what they are, is it indicator of your abilities?

Skwee fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 30, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can just eat the corpses. Butchering just makes them portable.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Skwee posted:

e: I think i figured out what they are, is it indicator of your abilities?

Yeah, it's an ability hot-bar. The colors tell you if the cool-downs are ready.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Clearly then the answer is "Machismo"

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Skwee posted:

e: actually found a food source. Was previously killing poo poo and hoping my butcher worked, now I am harvesting watervines.

Harvesting water vines is a big pain in the rear end. IMO, the best early food source is killing the glowpads and glowfish south of Joppa or in any Watervine Marsh zone; it's both safe to get an early level or two, and carrying 20 of their corpses is 100 pounds, which seems heavy, except that corpses (at least these, not all corpses) give WAY more food per pound than a lot of others. Plus, if you're walking a lot on the overmap, you'll go through one corpse every ~1.5 moves or so, or every move with Ravenous. Not 100% on the numbers, I've just used them as my primary foodsource on both ravenous and non-ravenous characters throughout the game, especially early when my inventory isn't going to be filled with cashmoney loot.

E: Plus you can harvest the watervine if you want, but I'm not a big fan of harvesting. Also, the corpses drop regardless of Butchery. Butchery basically adds a chance for a special loot pool to certain monsters, and that loot pool has mostly portable foods and (if you take Masterful) some interesting loot.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So what are some tips for CoQ? I kind of figured out the ASCII even though its still pretty ugly to me and kind of unreadable at times and I can't use the nice fonts because I'm running it through bootcamp on a macbook pro. Whenever I try to its just a bunch of weird multicolored/sized rectangles. Anyways, I'm level 4 and I've just been running around the swamp kind of area outside of Joppa killing glowpads and occasionally getting chased by drillbots. I'm a true man with most points in strength/toughness/intelligence and I'm a child of the wheel I think.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
True men are a bit harder to get started since you don't get any of the cool tools that mutations give you right from the start. The main things you need to get rolling early on are to get some decent armor, a desert rifle, a light source that doesn't take up one of your hand slots, and a good melee weapon. You'll find ruins from time to time in those swamps where you should be able to find most of the above. You just have to be really careful and run away as necessary, since the stuff that hangs out in ruins can be really dangerous. If you're putting points in Intelligence, investing XP into Tinkering doesn't help a whole lot in the early game, but it'll let you create grenades for various purposes and healing items that tend to be pretty scarce later once you get Reverse Engineer or can afford discs. Since you're boosting Strength, going for heavy armor and a sword and shield is probably your best bet. True man is basically hard mode with the way the game is currently, so if you start burning out, trying a mutant to get a feel for where you can usually find gear is worth a shot.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Protocol 5 posted:

True men are a bit harder to get started since you don't get any of the cool tools that mutations give you right from the start. The main things you need to get rolling early on are to get some decent armor, a desert rifle, a light source that doesn't take up one of your hand slots, and a good melee weapon. You'll find ruins from time to time in those swamps where you should be able to find most of the above. You just have to be really careful and run away as necessary, since the stuff that hangs out in ruins can be really dangerous. If you're putting points in Intelligence, investing XP into Tinkering doesn't help a whole lot in the early game, but it'll let you create grenades for various purposes and healing items that tend to be pretty scarce later once you get Reverse Engineer or can afford discs. Since you're boosting Strength, going for heavy armor and a sword and shield is probably your best bet. True man is basically hard mode with the way the game is currently, so if you start burning out, trying a mutant to get a feel for where you can usually find gear is worth a shot.

Oh really? From the game description it said that True Men were the easy mode starters. I have absolutely no commitment either way, toss me a good mutant started build and I'll put that to work immediately.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Bob NewSCART posted:

Oh really? From the game description it said that True Men were the easy mode starters. I have absolutely no commitment either way, toss me a good mutant started build and I'll put that to work immediately.

Personally I've been having more luck with true humans than I have with mutants. Thinking about making a mutant that can't wear armor though for laughs though. Maybe even make him albino. Naked mutated pale rear end motherfucker runnin around

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Bob NewSCART posted:

If you are very concerned about the low toughness, you can replace Burrowing Claws with Ego Projection, but once you get rolling you should be sundering (animal) minds and lasering everything else.

Major advantages:
1. In combination with the loot from the three chests not directly attended and thus safely lootable (after closing the door behind you!), you are nigh-guaranteed the ability to acquire a bow or rifle, which will complement your agility and mental powers nicely.

2. Nigh-guaranteed ability to level up immediately by giving away some of the artifacts you started with or found in one of said chests to Argive for a quest (obviously don't do this if the artifacts in question look more useful than a grenade).

3. High ego means you won't have to invest any points into mental mutations (such as Light Generation and Sunder Mind) for some levels, more if you boost Ego once with your first attribute point. Instead the mutations will automatically level up as your level increases until they reach a level of 1 + your ego modifier; once you reach a level where you could increase the skill past that level, you'll be permitted to invest in the skills.

4. Enough agility to make bows/rifles/pistols/short blades trees possible to invest a bit in and dodging possible.

Things to be careful about :
1. You're a glass cannon, do be careful not to let any bastards break you. If you're having big problems even at level 2, go east of Joppa for glowpads to kill and glowfish to eat until you get the extra edge to handle snapjaws after you give Argive some artifacts.

2. Don't forget to heal up after encounters! Holding 5 is a great way to die, press 1 (listed as D1 to differentiate from the numpad 1) instead.

I have also heard Carapace is pretty damned great and competitive with actual armor once you progress it far enough though, so you could easily build around that if you prefer melee. Also I'm sure dis astranagant has Opinions on how to build up a laser freak properly so fair warning that this isn't optimized or anything.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
A hulking baboon threw an HE grenade at me. Game over man..

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

2. Don't forget to heal up after encounters! Holding 5 is a great way to die, press 1 (listed as D1 to differentiate from the numpad 1) instead.

Hit `(to the left of 1) is probably better, it will make you wait until you are fully healed rather than just straight up 100 turns of waiting.

Also what does the asterisk next to an equipment slot mean?

Skwee fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 31, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Carapace at high levels is better defense than the top end armor (well, maybe not if you suck off the rng hard enough and get a bunch of modifiers on it) and weighs about 100 pounds less (doesn't weigh anything) while providing tons of heat and cold resistance. This may be a pretty huge balance issue, armor just weighs too drat much. Even a 1 point carapace is better than anything you're going to see unless you get drat lucky in Grit Gate.

I really like force bubble for keeping dudes off me while I murder them with lasers/explode their minds/shoot them/etc. Force wall can work almost as well in many areas if you can't swing the points for it. The int investment in Ignatius's build is probably excessive, you really don't need the top tinkering skills for a good while if ever and having extra strength to carry your crap around/constitution to die less/ willpower to reduce your cooldowns (though this doesn't affect lasers) or ego to level your mind exploding and make it more likely to do damage. Water merchants have near infinite cash by the time they're done poking around Grit Gate and the surrounding environs so you can just straight up buy blueprints instead of hoping disassemble works for you. Plus disassemble really only helps with grenades and injectors since it's not like you're going to poo poo out desert rifles on an industrial scale or anything silly like that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Never take a toughness of less than 18 unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Well I just ran into a seriously hosed up situation.. I can't get to the second level of the rust caves because a slumberling is on the staircase below me.. There is also a slumberling on the first level, it says it is impossible difficulty, so I left it the hell alone. First time I've seen those guys.

e: okay so I just kept hitting go down and eventually it died.. Guess it didn't wake up.. Sweet 525 xp pinata.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 31, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Here's a fun trick: using mental mutations doesn't cause your carapace to loosen up after tightening it, so you can be a kick rear end 16+ av laser turret.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Made some adjustments based on feedback...

I'm never too fond of having less skillpoints to go around, and the possibility of breaking artifacts makes me slightly unhappy, but there's a hell of a lot to be said for being a 16+ av laser turret.

e: Welp, took too little agility to be able to butcher, that clearly isn't going to work too well. Shift ego down one and then you can take agility and intelligence up a point maybe?

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 31, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I usually 18 everything but strength and agility and 16 those. Cranking will/ego at the expense of all else is more for dedicated espers with pyrokinesis and one of the force mutations mixed in. But I could be wrong, I'm by no means an expert though I have gotten pretty good at taking a laser dude to Grit Gate/that jungle village, losing track of what I'm supposed to be doing and wandering off :v:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Not really an expert either, I'm just trying to play with numbers and make them look bigger.

e: CoQ

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 31, 2013

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Skwee posted:

Also what does the asterisk next to an equipment slot mean?

That means it's a primary slot. Which means you always attack with it for melee attacks, and various armor mods count for other slots. Typically you just see it on your right hand, but you can also see it on your primary head if you have two heads, etc.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Picked up disintegration at level 8 this run (other options given were corrosive gas and electric generation) and it's just amazing wading into the middle of a large pile of equimaxes (equimaxen?), turtling up and mowing down half of them with disintegrate. The survivors can hardly scratch me during the little nap disintegrate causes and then I pick them off with lasers and brain explosions.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Unormal posted:

That means it's a primary slot. Which means you always attack with it for melee attacks, and various armor mods count for other slots. Typically you just see it on your right hand, but you can also see it on your primary head if you have two heads, etc.

speaking of two heads, would having a gas mask on your primary head be enough, or do you need one on both heads for it to help

One who is Rad
Mar 30, 2010
So I contracted Glotrot in CoQ and my game is pretty much over, the one time I managed to find honey, I just vomited in the bag and made it all useless. I reloaded my save and bought the disease book (because losing your tongue takes your haggling ability with it), and the steps for the cure involve items I haven't even seen in game yet.

I'd much rather have a specific place on the map I can travel to on a mission to cure the disease, or some kind of medic that can help me prepare for it, because otherwise every part of the cure relies on the right NPC selling the right thing at the right time.

The lore and the way the diseases are handled is really interesting and adds a lot of flavor to the gameplay, but then it becomes unplayable as a result.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

One who is Rad posted:

So I contracted Glotrot in CoQ and my game is pretty much over, the one time I managed to find honey, I just vomited in the bag and made it all useless. I reloaded my save and bought the disease book (because losing your tongue takes your haggling ability with it), and the steps for the cure involve items I haven't even seen in game yet.

I'd much rather have a specific place on the map I can travel to on a mission to cure the disease, or some kind of medic that can help me prepare for it, because otherwise every part of the cure relies on the right NPC selling the right thing at the right time.

The lore and the way the diseases are handled is really interesting and adds a lot of flavor to the gameplay, but then it becomes unplayable as a result.

I can build any of the ingredients in a few minutes; they're all guaranteed, but it takes game knowledge that I don't think anyone has really amassed yet. The diseases are pretty brutal, and can be game-enders, especially if you don't have encyclopedic knowledge of the game. It's certainly a *lot* easier to avoid the disease than it is to cure it; and that's sort of the design intention, if you don't prepare/go in aware, it's going to be sad times. (That said, we might approach it differently these days, but that's the way it is ;))

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Caves of Qud sounds interesting but where are we supposed to DL it these days? The only link I saw on google was to a three year old post on your forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Caves of Qud sounds interesting but where are we supposed to DL it these days? The only link I saw on google was to a three year old post on your forums.