Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mortanis posted:

I really enjoyed Alloy of Law. I really love Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages - have signed copies on my shelf even. However, they certainly suffer compared to Final Empire, and I hope the next two Wax and Wayne books don't have a similar drop off. Sanderson's really honed his art quite a bit since then, but I'm wondering what he'll bring to the table on the books. Mistborn was a bit of a natural progression, introducing a rigid magic system and exploring the depths of it and everything with Preservation and Ruin. Alloy of Law delves a lot more into the mechanics of other metals and compounding. I'm wondering what else there is to explore beyond "more story". Which, don't get me wrong, will be great. He just usually explores mechanics as well as story.

There's the allomantic magitech the southern continent has...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Tunicate posted:

also he's stated that Scadrial will develop Faster than Light travel using allomancy and spaceships

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And like... fifteen more atium alloys.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I wonder how allomantic technology will 'work' - it seems like Allomancy is something to do with people, not something inherent in metals themselves. The 'magic' comes from the Larasium that they or an ancestor ate, and it's not like they have any of that around to experiment on. Maybe Atium is inherently magical, considering it's a 'magic metal' like Larasium?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

I wonder how allomantic technology will 'work' - it seems like Allomancy is something to do with people, not something inherent in metals themselves. The 'magic' comes from the Larasium that they or an ancestor ate, and it's not like they have any of that around to experiment on. Maybe Atium is inherently magical, considering it's a 'magic metal' like Larasium?

Well it likely would be person driven. Like, I could see a modern era mistborn having both cheap fossil fuel engines for personal use and more expensive, but less wasteful iron/steel engines being manned by a team of the appropriate metalburners. You could look at how having pewter burners (or pewter compounders) would change existing industries. How would people compete in law enforcement? Or construction? What sports exists.

What I'm saying is that there's a ton of material in mistborn even without considering atium.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Hell yes. Iron and steel burners are basically free power. You get a lot of it from a very small amount of resource, and that's discounting what you could potentially do by combining a bunch of lurchers/coinshot and a nicrosil misting. Hell, a skilled coinshot could very easily power his own vehicle, simply by having the right sort of cranking mechanism attached to the axle.

This is what I most like about the idea of the Alloy series - we've already seen a few bits and pieces of everyday allomancy (Renette, in particular, and her doors, but also the gun that's keyed so only a coinshot or lurcher can take the safety off, Wax powering bullets with his allomancy etc etc etc), taking it to the next stage sounds awesome.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

There were natural allomancers as well - Alendi was one. They're just rare as hell, and only mistings, no mistborn.

My personal bet is that nicrosil feruchemy is used as a battery of some sorts.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

thespaceinvader posted:

Hell yes. Iron and steel burners are basically free power. You get a lot of it from a very small amount of resource, and that's discounting what you could potentially do by combining a bunch of lurchers/coinshot and a nicrosil misting. Hell, a skilled coinshot could very easily power his own vehicle, simply by having the right sort of cranking mechanism attached to the axle.

This is what I most like about the idea of the Alloy series - we've already seen a few bits and pieces of everyday allomancy (Renette, in particular, and her doors, but also the gun that's keyed so only a coinshot or lurcher can take the safety off, Wax powering bullets with his allomancy etc etc etc), taking it to the next stage sounds awesome.

This sort of thing is where the characters showing their resourcefulness by knowing well the rules of the magic system can really work, too. (It's basically just another type of physics.) My favourite Alloy of Law moment is when Wax is fighting Miles on the roof of a moving train, Wax ejects a bullet from his gun, throws it at Miles and pushes the bullet (and Miles) off the train when he reflexively catches it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Tunicate posted:

Wait what?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You heard me.

Maybe even feruchemechanisms too.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

The Lord Ruler's empire was centered near the North Pole, but apparently there was a whole nother civilization down at the south pole that we never encounter. http://coppermind.net/wiki/Southern_Peoples_of_Scadrial I'm not really sure why Brandon gave these spoilers up in interviews instead of saving the reveal for later books though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He was originally planning for them to show up in the gap between trilogies 1 and 2, and be well established by urban fantasy mistborn. Brandon didn't expect to show first contact with the southern guys, but then he accidentally wrote alloy of law, and, well, here they are.

Allomantic Space Opera is the entire premise of trilogy three, so it's impossible to hide that the magitech will eventually exists, really.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I have just come to the uncomfortable realization I have finished reading everything Sanderson wrote. I'm a horrible nerd. Worse: I'm a horrible nerd out of Sanderson books to read.

keiran_helcyan posted:

The Lord Ruler's empire was centered near the North Pole, but apparently there was a whole nother civilization down at the south pole that we never encounter. http://coppermind.net/wiki/Southern_Peoples_of_Scadrial I'm not really sure why Brandon gave these spoilers up in interviews instead of saving the reveal for later books though.

This is something I'm really interested in seeing Sanderson write. It's a bit outside of what he dealt with up until now, but it definitely sounds like something he could do quite well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sherringford posted:

I have just come to the uncomfortable realization I have finished reading everything Sanderson wrote.
Wrong.

It happens that fast.

More seriously, have you read any of the unpublished stuff? If not, send him an email, and prepare for them to arrive in your inbox several months later.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 30, 2013

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

His productivity is...something else. I begin to wonder if an average Sanderson day has more words written than heartbeats.

Tunicate posted:

More seriously, have you read any of the unpublished stuff? If not, send him an email, and prepare for them to arrive in your inbox several months later.

Wait, that's seriously a thing he does?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sherringford posted:

Wait, that's seriously a thing he does?

Yep. Contact him at his email form, and send a polite request.

Now, all I've gotten thus far are Aether of Night and White Sand (which are full novels, but extremely rough), but he apparently will also give out Mistborn Prime (the original allomancer heist story), and Final Empire Prime (the original Lord Ruler story).

Oh, and if you break into the BYU library, you can read Dragonsteel, but from all reports it kinda isn't that good, and there's a distressing tendency for people to steal the only copy, forcing them to reprint it.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Wow, that's really nice of him to do that, thanks for letting me know!

The fact there's a trend of people stealing the only copy there is both amazing and hilarious to me for some reason. I like to imagine someone dressed like Arsene Lupin attempting a daring heist to steal that copy.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I thought doing a WoT reread would take a while, but doing a Sanderson reread [less his WoT stuff] is going to take years. And that's including my tendency to hit the Avalanche and not put down the book until I'm done, no matter the time I hit it.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Speaking of Atium, is there any of it even left after Hero of Ages?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Superstring posted:

Speaking of Atium, is there any of it even left after Hero of Ages?

It should regrow. I remember Elend saying something like Ruin can try and reclaim his body again in the 200 years or so it should take for it to regrow in the chasm. Although Ruin died so not sure if that would effect it or if Sazed did something to stop it regrowing.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
There's also the fact that (Alloy of Law Spoiler) The guy that Wax runs into at the beginning of the book completely looks to be burning Atium when he somehow manages to perfectly beat the little trick he and his girl had set up. It's just too neatly done and really seems like the guy knew exactly where to move her. Atium.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Ruin could never "see" atium before since it was a metal, I wonder if Harmony is similarly limited.

The title of the next book being "Shadows of Self" implies to me an atium (or electrum) connection.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Today I started with Steelheart, looking for some sweet YA magick systemz.. 2 minutes later
Epic blasted newborn to bones
and I decided to quit. What the gently caress Bransan?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Why did that make you quit?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mortanis posted:

There's also the fact that (Alloy of Law Spoiler) The guy that Wax runs into at the beginning of the book completely looks to be burning Atium when he somehow manages to perfectly beat the little trick he and his girl had set up. It's just too neatly done and really seems like the guy knew exactly where to move her. Atium.

Electrum would do the trick, wouldn't it? It only shows you your futures, not other peoples' but it would allow you to know in which you them the bullet hit you, and in which it hit what you wanted it to hit? Also, I'm not convinced something that happens within the first chapter really counts as spoilers when you consider some of the unspoilered things being discussed on this page.

I really must get round to emailing bransan actually - there's a quote from one of the Mistborn books I want to have read at my wedding and it's only polite to ask permission. Goony as gently caress, or goony as gently caress?

e: and someone mentioned that Ruin died: he absolutely didn't; Sazed combined the Ruin and Preservation shards to become Harmony.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

thespaceinvader posted:

I really must get round to emailing bransan actually - there's a quote from one of the Mistborn books I want to have read at my wedding and it's only polite to ask permission. Goony as gently caress, or goony as gently caress?

Which quote?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Where Sazed talks to Vin about love using the analogy of locks and keys; somewhere in the middle of book 3 IIRC. It fits us really well.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

thespaceinvader posted:

Electrum would do the trick, wouldn't it? It only shows you your futures, not other peoples' but it would allow you to know in which you them the bullet hit you, and in which it hit what you wanted it to hit? Also, I'm not convinced something that happens within the first chapter really counts as spoilers when you consider some of the unspoilered things being discussed on this page.

e: and someone mentioned that Ruin died: he absolutely didn't; Sazed combined the Ruin and Preservation shards to become Harmony.

Vin killed Ati, which is where that "Ruin died" thing came from, just as whoever held Preservation's dead (that guy died towards the beginning of book 3).

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

thespaceinvader posted:

Ah, true... I think it would work. You'd be able to see which of your own possible futures you dodge the bullet from and moved your target into the path. You only see your own shadows, though, so you'd have to pay close attention to which shadow you wanted I suppose, rather than watching for the perfect incoming one. I just think Atium seems more thematically likely, setting up the future. Electrum should do it though, in a kind of roundabout way.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

mallamp posted:

Today I started with Steelheart, looking for some sweet YA magick systemz.. 2 minutes later
Epic blasted newborn to bones
and I decided to quit. What the gently caress Bransan?

Mind explaining more?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

Mind explaining more?

I'd assume they're part of the huge number of people that think "young adult" means that something has a light tone.

Steelheart isn't less terrifying and terrible than the rest of sanderson's stories, it's just less subtle about it

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Why did that make you quit?
It's pretty sick scene don't you think? Actually sickest of all scenes he has written (I've read all his books) and then the fact that it was in YA book.
Seriously, anyone else wasn't disturbed? Mother clinging to freaking baby bones? In YA book? Just another day at the Goonlandia?
I don't know maybe it's not as disgusting if you don't have children yet, but I have, and it just made me hate the whole book too much to continue.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
It's meant to show that most Epics are irredeemably evil. A bit heavy handed but what faster way to show they're evil?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mallamp posted:

It's pretty sick scene don't you think? Actually sickest of all scenes he has written (I've read all his books) and then the fact that it was in YA book.
Seriously, anyone else wasn't disturbed? Mother clinging to freaking baby bones? In YA book? Just another day at the Goonlandia?
I don't know maybe it's not as disgusting if you don't have children yet, but I have, and it just made me hate the whole book too much to continue.

The heroic protagonist in Henry V threatens a city with "Your naked infants spitted upon pikes," and that play's required reading in a lot of schools.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

senae posted:

Well it likely would be person driven. Like, I could see a modern era mistborn having both cheap fossil fuel engines for personal use and more expensive, but less wasteful iron/steel engines being manned by a team of the appropriate metalburners. You could look at how having pewter burners (or pewter compounders) would change existing industries. How would people compete in law enforcement? Or construction? What sports exists.

What I'm saying is that there's a ton of material in mistborn even without considering atium.

So basically we're going to get Dune but with metals instead of Spice?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mallamp posted:

You've read Mistborn, right? Executing hundreds of people to set an example (adults and children; whoever they were able to grab, really) when they did nothing to deserve it and catching their blood in fountains which start spraying it around tops that pretty easily.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mallamp posted:

I have children and it was a truly horrible scene that made my gut churn, but that was it's point. I still read the whole book in two days anyway.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It was gross, but nowhere near enough to get me to stop reading. Epics are bad dudes/ladies and that got the point across.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

You've read Mistborn, right? *spoiler* tops that pretty easily.
Well I don't know, I don't mind violence (in books) that much actually, but when it's a graphic scene that involves a child in particular it just feels way more sick than something like "And then the whole Kingdom of Blahblahia was turned into dust" (even though that implies that children were killed aswell). Even the Steelheart scene would've been more fine if it hadn't been so weirdly graphic and specific, mother clinging to the bones. No. I don't want to imagine something like that. And it just came so out of nowhere, it's YA book, come on. Maybe I'll retry it soon, but if it has other scenes like that I'll drop it for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm not sure the distinguishing feature of YA books is that they don't contain depictions of violence committed against children, but I don't recall anything else like that in the rest of the book.