Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had a guy who used to refer to a ticket as a 'log'. To be fair to him that was a pretty accurate description of a lot of the tickets we'd receive.

:nexus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Well after 7 fine months;

"Well Dilbert, don't think we have a foreseeable Network/Vmware/storage centered position opening up in the next 12 months. We would like to move you more into a $Jack-of-all-trades position$+ some Desktop support, with you are go to guy of vmware/network/storage"

^^^^
INCOMING PM

I am on vacation from now until tuesday. Not much will be pissing me off until Tuesday. I am positive that on Tuesday, I will have a nice pile of WTF to clean up, though.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

nitrogen posted:

^^^^
INCOMING PM

Okay I am not going to go all "breakdowncentral" don't worry I feel a bunch more composure now, I think most goons who live in my area(like 3 IT goons) will back me up when I say hampton roads is like a twilight zone of jobs.

After my weekend in NC's I had no idea you could actually get a 3br/2bath house near a populous city for under 100k; what twisted world have I lived in my first 22 years on this earth?

Oh just saw your PM well point still stands

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 30, 2013

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Well after 7 fine months;

"Well Dilbert, don't think we have a foreseeable Network/Vmware/storage centered position opening up in the next 12 months. We would like to move you more into a $Jack-of-all-trades position$+ some Desktop support, with you are go to guy of vmware/network/storage"

Yeah no gently caress SMB, and no I don't mean SMB as how cisco/emc/vmware mean it I mean the sub ~30 user company that makes up a large portion of where they want to move me to.

My goal is to, learn more so than I do now in Vmware/net/storage, cert up, and be living in NC Charolette/Raleigh/RTP in 2 years. (OR's cost of living don't compare to NC's).

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing the Stuff outside vmware/network/storage, and I do well at it; but my passion is with Virtualization/net/storage; not with "My legacy SBS 2003 server sucks fix it" or "well can you just code or script the app from these legacy Redhat servers?"

Hell I love semi-modern *nix servers, and working with most OS's or server's after 2008. Jobs good but hell, I really though when I signed on after 6 months my focus was vmware/net/storage which was really the whole point of my signing this company. Ahh well.

They want to get 2 employees in one and they believe they can get it. It seems they are right.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sickening posted:

They want to get 2 employees in one and they believe they can get it. It seems they are right.

I mean I like to learn a lot about 'expanding my horizons'. However, my focus is virtualization/network/storage I explained this pre-day-one; ahh well live and learn sometimes.

But yeah gently caress SMB; forget the right way and learn therightway

Example: Went onsite to one of our larger customers to assist an engineer who never did a VMware/Storage deployment.
"So uhh what raid level should I put this $storage$ in"
I asked wasn't this done during the spec out for the storage(which I offered to help in), and got a "well ain't no time for that". Granted I knew the environment from some support of servers but still...
Followed by "how can a VAR do under MSRP from HP?"

:supaburn: AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 30, 2013

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

The lead sysadmin's response is that "it's e-mail, not instant messaging."

Used to have a person who would treat the instant in IM as that means the other person would instantly reply back. I was working on an issue once that was kinda important and an IM showed up from a coworker in another building.
I looked at it, went back to what I was doing. Another IM. Couple of minutes later, another.
Then an email showed up with the IM text pasted in.
I went to type in the IM window that I'm busy when my phone rang on its second line. Ignored that, set IM to DND.

Then a coworker came over and asked if I was busy because this person asked them to tell me they needed to talk to me. I told them I was busy and I'll get to it later.

20 minutes later my boss comes by and says he got a call from that person saying I was ignoring them, and that the complain to him was CC'd to every manager in IT.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

CitizenKain posted:

Used to have a person who would treat the instant in IM as that means the other person would instantly reply back. I was working on an issue once that was kinda important and an IM showed up from a coworker in another building.
I looked at it, went back to what I was doing. Another IM. Couple of minutes later, another.
Then an email showed up with the IM text pasted in.
I went to type in the IM window that I'm busy when my phone rang on its second line. Ignored that, set IM to DND.

Then a coworker came over and asked if I was busy because this person asked them to tell me they needed to talk to me. I told them I was busy and I'll get to it later.

20 minutes later my boss comes by and says he got a call from that person saying I was ignoring them, and that the complain to him was CC'd to every manager in IT.

I've had this happen to me before too. Guess what, buddy? By pulling that poo poo, you've just ensured you get nothing but the bare minimum of service from me for the rest of our working relationship. Hope the tantrum was worth it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

My coworker has decided to delete all vm snapshots and not use them all together. I was planning to listen to the "reasons" but they sounded dumb and i stopped listening mid conversation.

The snapshots were the only recovery we had at all for most of the virtual workstations in production. Workstations that run unique code and unique data on each box.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

rolleyes posted:

I've had this happen to me before too. Guess what, buddy? By pulling that poo poo, you've just ensured you get nothing but the bare minimum of service from me for the rest of our working relationship. Hope the tantrum was worth it.

Management IT is not vindictive.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sickening posted:

My coworker has decided to delete all vm snapshots and not use them all together. I was planning to listen to the "reasons" but they sounded dumb and i stopped listening mid conversation.

The snapshots were the only recovery we had at all for most of the virtual workstations in production. Workstations that run unique code and unique data on each box.

That's not really what snapshots are for.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

That's not really what snapshots are for.

I know they aren't. Snapshots aren't a true backup and were never meant to be. This particular group of vms have no backup solution in place and I am told that we can't allocate anything to it yet.

So a situation where bubblegum is holding together things someone decideds to remove the bubblegum.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Handiklap posted:

Management IT is not vindictive.

Haha, touché. So far as I'm concerned if you've gone to both my manager and his manager to accuse me of poor communication because your email went unanswered for 40 minutes (this is what actually happened) while I was trying to deal with a major issue on another project then that's a baseless personal attack on me.

What I mean when I say "the bare minimum of service" is "exactly what company policy dictates, no more, no less". I will continue to respond to your emails in a reasonable time frame, I will attend your meetings and be constructive, and in general behave with the professionalism you're so sadly lacking. However, I am pretty well known in my job for being approachable and willing to help out with things which aren't under my job description if I have the time to do so, but that's at my discretion; I have no duty to go above and beyond for someone who tried to endanger my employment and financial security and so all of that goes out of the window for you after something like that. If that's being vindictive, I'm comfortable with that.

Sickening posted:

So a situation where bubblegum is holding together things someone decideds to remove the bubblegum.

Ah, the IT equivalent of freefalling.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 30, 2013

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Sickening posted:

I know they aren't. Snapshots aren't a true backup and were never meant to be. This particular group of vms have no backup solution in place and I am told that we can't allocate anything to it yet.

If your company won't allocate the appropriate resources, then you shouldn't have applied the bubblegum in the first place. Snapshots, in the context of VMware, are not meant to be used for more than a few days, max.

Your company doesn't view those VMs as business critical, end of discussion. Don't treat them as such. If they change their mind the first time something happens and there's no way to roll back, then all the better. Start looking for jobs because you don't want to work at such an awful place, anyway.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

rolleyes posted:

Ah, the IT equivalent of freeballing.

Fixed that for you.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Ey up. Next time you think of blaming the user's cat for a laptop that smells of cat pee, think again:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24741832

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Is anyone familiar with AWS here? I'm pulling my hair trying to bring up a simple mumble VoiP server, but I cannot get any clients to connect. The service is listening on the default port, and I have the port open in iptables as well as in the EC2 security group assigned to the instance. I even tried scanning it with nmap and it is saying the port is filtered. 22 is open for SSH, and I was able to open ICMP via the security group as well and it is replying back to pings just fine. Am I missing something obvious here?

EDIT: I even installed lynx and and went to canyouseem.org and it confirms it cannot see through the port.

The Third Man fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 30, 2013

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

GargleBlaster posted:

Ey up. Next time you think of blaming the user's cat for a laptop that smells of cat pee, think again:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24741832

Heh. When I was working at the plastics plant, one of the contracts we had was for bezels for big ol' CRT monitors, for medical instrumentation. And of course the <redacted> Corporation insisted on a specific material to be used.

Which produced the most astonishing odor of urine-mixed-with-chlorine. Smelled like the bathroom at a public pool - people sometimes had to be swapped off that job because they were getting nauseated. (And it got worse at the end of the job, when they purged out the leftover material into a messy semi-liquid pile on the floor - three or four pounds of that, steaming hot.)

Hmmmm. Just got a wonderful evil idea for an "optical disc" that just produces odor when heated...

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

quote=!edit

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

EDIT: loving phone, jesus...

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
poo poo that pisses me off: Windows' broken USB stack refusing to recognize my keyboard/mouse after its been "unplugged/replugged" via my KVM.

Other poo poo: our overseas support office for calls outside US timezones operates in one of two modes:
1) is the ticket already assigned to someone in the US? Promise the customer things outside the scope of support if they send in some files, and then end the call.
2) is the ticket unassigned? Assign it to yourself, ask the customer to send in files, and do nothing. Hope the customer eventually calls in during US hours so that we take over the ticket out of pity.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

The Third Man posted:

Is anyone familiar with AWS here? I'm pulling my hair trying to bring up a simple mumble VoiP server, but I cannot get any clients to connect. The service is listening on the default port, and I have the port open in iptables as well as in the EC2 security group assigned to the instance. I even tried scanning it with nmap and it is saying the port is filtered. 22 is open for SSH, and I was able to open ICMP via the security group as well and it is replying back to pings just fine. Am I missing something obvious here?

Can you telnet to whatever port Mumble runs from the host itself? What's your security group rule? 64738 TCP/UDP?

rolleyes posted:

So far as I'm concerned if you've gone to both my manager and his manager to accuse me of poor communication because your email went unanswered for 40 minutes (this is what actually happened) while I was trying to deal with a major issue on another project then that's a baseless personal attack on me.

professionalism

someone who tried to endanger my employment and financial security and so all of that goes out of the window for you after something like that. If that's being vindictive, I'm comfortable with that.
"I'm in a user-facing position, and I couldn't write a 30 second email to let you know I actually saw your ticket. This is a personal attack on me. You're trying to get me fired and endanger my security."

:emo:

evol262 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 30, 2013

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

evol262 posted:

Can you telnet to whatever port Mumble runs from the host itself? What's your security group rule? 64738 TCP/UDP?

I cannot telnet to 64738, and yes, the rules in the security group are custom TCP/UDP rules 0.0.0.0/0 to 64738. I verified with netstat that murmurd is listening on 64738 as well. I also just created a fresh RHEL instance, with a new security group using identical settings, and canyouseeme.org still cannot see 64738, with the reason ":No route to host". It does see SSH running on 22 though...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

evol262 posted:

"I'm in a user-facing position, and I couldn't write a 30 second email to let you know I actually saw your ticket. This is a personal attack on me. You're trying to get me fired and endanger my security."

:emo:

Do you not spend time now and again dealing with things and not checking your email? If someone tried to get me in trouble because I had shut off my email client or because I was doing something in the server room for an hour, I'd be super pissed too.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Do you not spend time now and again dealing with things and not checking your email? If someone tried to get me in trouble because I had shut off my email client or because I was doing something in the server room for an hour, I'd be super pissed too.

I don't have to deal with user emails at this point. When I did, I made a point of responding to them whether or not I was busy just to say "I'm aware of this, but I'm working on something else". This is stupidly easy to do with a generic autoresponder or away message on your IM client. It increases user satisfaction, keeps your management out of your hair, and generally makes everything flow better. In a user-facing role, I'm probably not spending an hour in the server room. And if I am, my manager drat well knows what I'm doing.

That said, it's more that "sending an email to my supervisor asking why I haven't responded in 40 minutes is a baseless personal attack". Either this is something that should endanger your job (because you're not in a position where you have the leeway to shut off your email client and/or go to the machine room) or something your boss should send the user to the helpdesk for or other otherwise defend you. It's not a personal attack for a user to wonder why it's taken 40 minutes to respond to an email, whether or not you're busy.

The Third Man posted:

I cannot telnet to 64738, and yes, the rules in the security group are custom TCP/UDP rules 0.0.0.0/0 to 64738. I

If you're on the EC2 console, can you "telnet localhost 64738"? Is it listening when you take AWS security groups out of the equation?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

evol262 posted:

That said, it's more that "sending an email to my supervisor asking why I haven't responded in 40 minutes is a baseless personal attack". Either this is something that should endanger your job (because you're not in a position where you have the leeway to shut off your email client and/or go to the machine room) or something your boss should send the user to the helpdesk for or other otherwise defend you. It's not a personal attack for a user to wonder why it's taken 40 minutes to respond to an email, whether or not you're busy.

He could be both helpdesk and guy who legitimately goes to the machine room and the users expectations are a little off, something the boss can fix.

vv Missed that part, yes it is, and seems to have been something a 2 second "Will call you in 20" IM would have fixed. If you're that cranky at work something else must be going on. vv

sanchez fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 30, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

sanchez posted:

He could be both helpdesk and guy who legitimately goes to the machine room and the users expectations are a little off, something the boss can fix.

It's worth noting that in the original rant, he mentions setting DnD after several attempts at being contacted. If they were set from the beginning I'd agree someone trying to break through and complaining that they can't get the attention of someone is probably an expectation issue. Setting DnD after they've tried to get your attention repeatedly without a quick "Dude, busy, call back in 20" is a dick move.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Setting DnD after they've tried to get your attention repeatedly without a quick "Dude, busy, call back in 20" is a dick move.

I'll agree with this, although the email to all managers is still completely ridiculous.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Hmmmm. Just got a wonderful evil idea for an "optical disc" that just produces odor when heated...

Dominos has got you beat:

http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/blogs/dominos-hopes-smell-o-vision-dvds-will-induce-pizza-cravings.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

sanchez posted:

It's possible, but then complaining to his boss would be a shared "ugh, this user" moment instead of a "this user is trying to get me fired"... Not getting into this again.

What pisses me off: goony IT workers

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've found my hell, it's setting up new print servers.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

evol262 posted:

If you're on the EC2 console, can you "telnet localhost 64738"? Is it listening when you take AWS security groups out of the equation?

I can telnet to localhost 64738 from the EC2 console. I even tried adding rules to the group to allow ALL TCP/ALL UDP and it still did not work. I can't help but feel I'm missing something incredibly obvious here...I've done this before and never had any trouble opening up ports.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

The Third Man posted:

I can telnet to localhost 64738 from the EC2 console. I even tried adding rules to the group to allow ALL TCP/ALL UDP and it still did not work. I can't help but feel I'm missing something incredibly obvious here...I've done this before and never had any trouble opening up ports.

netstat -anp

See if it's listening on all interfaces or just localhost.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

evol262 posted:

netstat -anp

See if it's listening on all interfaces or just localhost.

Here's the output, but I'm not familiar enough with netstat to really know what I'm looking for:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=wstPRWCV

EDIT: The only local address that are listening on 64738 are represented as ": : : 64738", does that mean it's only listening for IPv6 connections?

The Third Man fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 30, 2013

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

The Third Man posted:

Are you sure you actually set those rules, though? I used to work for that team at Amazon, I've seen a billion people add security rules through the console then not click the completely-offscreen-even-on-a-1080p-monitor "apply" button which is hidden by a nigh-invisible scrollbar in that shithole of a web UI.

(can you guess what's pissing me off?)

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

SolTerrasa posted:

Are you sure you actually set those rules, though? I used to work for that team at Amazon, I've seen a billion people add security rules through the console then not click the completely-offscreen-even-on-a-1080p-monitor "apply" button which is hidden by a nigh-invisible scrollbar in that shithole of a web UI.

(can you guess what's pissing me off?)

I have applied the rules, yes.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

The Third Man posted:

EDIT: The only local address that are listening on 64738 are represented as ": : : 64738", does that mean it's only listening for IPv6 connections?
That means "I'm listening on all interfaces, including IPv6". "0.0.0.0" is "all interfaces, ipv4 only".

iptables -L ?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

^^^ I believe that is correct. I would just disabled ipv6, it usually just messes everything up.

The Third Man posted:

EDIT: I even installed lynx and and went to canyouseem.org and it confirms it cannot see through the port.

First, turn off iptables on the instances, its just gonna screw you up. Are you running in the "classic" ec2 or in the new forced VPC setup? If your in a VPC, you have to allow in and outbound rules, but ec2 is just inbound restricted.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

evol262 posted:

iptables -L ?

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=EurupkMV

Rules are in there twice for some reason, I must have added them again earlier when I was trying to figure out why things weren't working.

Negromancer posted:

^^^ I believe that is correct. I would just disabled ipv6, it usually just messes everything up.

First, turn off iptables on the instances, its just gonna screw you up. Are you running in the "classic" ec2 or in the new forced VPC setup? If your in a VPC, you have to allow in and outbound rules, but ec2 is just inbound restricted.

This is an ec2 instance, and stopping iptables did not help.

EDIT: what the christ stopping iptables again for shits and now it's working :psyduck:

I don't know what the gently caress, but thanks for helping my troubleshoot this, I feel like I learned a lot but I'm still somehow an idiot... I had those rules in the iptables input chain this whole time, is there something in there that was loving this all up? Are iptables chains read from top to bottom like an acl? If so, why the hell wouldn't new rules be added to the top of the chain?

The Third Man fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 30, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

The Third Man posted:

I don't know what the gently caress, but thanks for helping my troubleshoot this, I feel like I learned a lot but I'm still somehow an idiot... I had those rules in the iptables input chain this whole time, is there something in there that was loving this all up? Are iptables chains read from top to bottom like an acl?
This is exactly it. iptables parses as:

"Packet comes in. Go to appropriate table (prerouting, input, etc)"
"Go through rules in the table, top to bottom."
"If it matches a rule, go (-j ACCEPT literally means "jump to a built-in rule which says ACCEPT this". You can also "-j SOMEOTHERTABLE" to process more"
"If it falls through that table (not ACCEPT, DROP, whatever), keep going down the first one"
"If it reaches the end without matching anything, hit the default policy (yours is accept)"
But your packets hit the "REJECT" rule before any of the rules for mumble.

The Third Man posted:

If so, why the hell wouldn't new rules be added to the top of the chain?
"iptables -I" inserts in the beginning. "iptables -A" appends to the end. You get the option. And you can insert at an arbitrary line if you really need to (you probably don't). "service iptables save" will dump rules in /etc/sysconfig/iptables (and somewhere in /etc on debian) which does nothing but write rules to a file. iptables-restore executes them. You can check iptables-save and iptables-restore (which should be plain-jane scripts, but depends on your distro) to see where it sticks them, then edit that file willy-nilly if you don't want to muck with adding rules one by one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
So I might have a :yotj: on the line, and wanted to get some outside input. This might even be a little premature, as numbers and such haven't been discussed, but I passed the technical phone interveiw and seemed to do pretty well on meeting the managers, and from what I've been told the local market is soft on quality windows people. I've got other things to consider even if all that works out, but

The company's previous IT person left after 7 years and has left everything in a bit of a mess. Basically they'd put off updating a lot of their software in favor of working on other projects that were more immediately important to their operations, and he left almost as soon as it was done, so now they've got a lot of updating to do. 2003 Servers that need updating, XP machines that need 7 before April, plus a few other things. I walked into a situation where things were almost as messed up at my current place, but I had budget and management backing to get this place whipped into shape. Win7 rolled out, hardware/software inventory sorted, better policies on network storage, etc. I also had a central software department to help sort and manage the software inventory.

So before I accept an offer, I'm going to want to make sure the budget exists to refresh their desktop hardware, and update their microsoft licensing. Does anyone any experience with this sort of thing? They have an IT consultant running things (who will be playing sort of CITO and covering my time off going forward) and from what he says and the impressions I got during the imperson interviews they're interested in getting their house in order.

For content:
My psychic powers.

Last week I was at one of our satellite sites who have this weird database type program. I was talking to them about XP going EoL and we'll need to make plans to get the machine upgraded to Win7 if they're going to keep using it on the network. Today it gets malware on it.