Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

New ink wash. Trying for something kind of different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
Do you know Otto Dix? You're like a darker Mike Mignola. I bet you'd like to do some etchings too. Try any and all printmaking.

Here's a commission I took:

Clockroach
Dec 12, 2010
On the "painting over thrift shop" chat, I have a fascination with transparent things (and layering them). I like to take framed pictures and put tracing paper in between, paint on the glass, etc. This is a little shadow box (I think that's what they're called) that had a paper cutout of a girl praying. My scanner blurred her out, but otherwise did a better job than it normally does.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

eminkey2003 posted:

Do you know Otto Dix? You're like a darker Mike Mignola. I bet you'd like to do some etchings too. Try any and all printmaking.

Otto Dix's Der Krieg cycle is one of my favorite series of works ever.

I've definitely done etchings before. I think I might have a few examples of my etchings in this very thread. I'm a huge fan of the medium, I just wish it were easier to do at home instead of having to actually seek out a press.

New drawing for a zombie-themed art show. I know, I know. Zombies are played out as hell.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I did some drypoints

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
I had some time this weekend to make some more linocut stickers (apologies for blurriness):

Credit for reference image of the cat goes to fellow goon AzureSkys.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ok so I made a collage of all the crap I've done for class this year so far. Here's a linky to the album, sorry but it's imugr.
(click for huge)

(click for album)
http://dreadwroth.imgur.com/

EDIT: Bonus class collaboration post:

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 17, 2013

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wow this thread is moving really slow, I hope I didn't kill it!
Hey so the deadline for the brooklyn Art Library's awesome "Sketchbook Project" is coming up soon if any of you art folks want to participate. They also have some other cool stuff to join in on too, check it out!
http://www.sketchbookproject.com/

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

Dreadwroth posted:

Wow this thread is moving really slow, I hope I didn't kill it!

It ain't your fault. Sometimes we just forget certain threads exist.

For content, here's a series of splatter paintings that I made for an abstract painting class last winter. The assignment was to make one painting with an improvised composition within three weeks, but every time I brought one over to my professor for a WIP critique, he would say that the painting was finished and that I should make a new one. In the end, I made three paintings instead of one.

Improvised Blue I, II, & III
48” x 40”/48” x 39”/ 48” x 20” respectively
Acrylic on Canvas
February 2013

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Those are really good, you planning on trying to sell them?

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

These are a couple of small sculptures I made awhile back

I really like making these kinds of drawings. I have a lot more drawings like this, but I've never scanned them in. At some point I will though and post them here.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

Dreadwroth posted:

Those are really good, you planning on trying to sell them?

Thanks.
To answer your question: No, but maybe I should.

To be honest I don't know how to sell my art.

VVVV Thanks.

QuestWhat fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 25, 2013

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468091
We actually have a thread about that very thing!

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I hope this can be allowed... I do at least one jar every day. None of this has been put out in public before so SA is getting a little exclusive on this different medium I don't even feel comfortable talking about yet. The glass is suspended within the jars, no glue or any adhesive is used just good old physics.

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 25, 2013

Pineapple Salad
Apr 4, 2012

What a neverending story, Mark!

parthenocarpy posted:

I hope this can be allowed... I do at least one jar every day. None of this has been put out in public before so SA is getting a little exclusive on this different medium I don't even feel comfortable talking about yet. The glass is suspended within the jars, no glue or any adhesive is used just good old physics.

:aaaaa: That's so cool! How long did it take you to make these, and how secure are the pieces of glass inside?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Beer bottles take maybe a half hour, most of the time is spent sorting out the pieces after the bottle is shattered.. I've spent up to two hours on things like those purple abstracts. They're very secure, they can be shaken hard and not move. I had problems when they were subject to vibration but dealt with it and none of them "settle" anymore for lack of a better term

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I have a dumb question for you traditionalists here. I can't seem to get over the fact that now that I've graduated from art school there's no point in making any work because it'll sit in my closet and nobody will even look at it or appreciate it. What do you do with all the work you make? The stuff nobody sees and sits in your tupperware under the bed. If galleries wont take it, where do you put it?

Seneschal
Nov 24, 2008

Shnooks posted:

I have a dumb question for you traditionalists here. I can't seem to get over the fact that now that I've graduated from art school there's no point in making any work because it'll sit in my closet and nobody will even look at it or appreciate it. What do you do with all the work you make? The stuff nobody sees and sits in your tupperware under the bed. If galleries wont take it, where do you put it?

I have an art studio I pay $300/month for. I don't even pretend that I'm going to break even with my work, but I still do paint a couple of days a week. If I was at home I'd convert to working smaller, on paper or uncradled board.
Also I'd keep posting my art on etsy and facebook, and make presents for everybody's birthday. Just because it hangs around doesn't mean it was a waste of your time.

Content:

Edited for GRAAAH PHONE INTERFACE HULK SMASH

Seneschal fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 30, 2013

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Seneschal posted:

I have an art studio I pay $300/month for. I don't even pretend that I'm going to break even with my work, but I still do paint a couple of days a week. If I was at home I'd convert to working smaller, on paper or uncradled board.
Also I'd keep posting my art on etsy and facebook, and make presents for everybody's birthday. Just because it hangs around doesn't mean it was a waste of your time.

Content:

Edited for GRAAAH PHONE INTERFACE HULK SMASH

Oh man, a studio would be a dream for me. I'm going to be moving next year and hope to have some more space to work. Right now there's not too much.

Seneschal
Nov 24, 2008

Shnooks posted:

Oh man, a studio would be a dream for me. I'm going to be moving next year and hope to have some more space to work. Right now there's not too much.

I probably would have stopped painting if I hadn't kept the studio after college. It's like a gym membership. Since I'm paying for it, I kind of have to go, and make it worth the money. Of course, it's crazy expensive for a place with no heat, no A/C, and no hot water. But it keeps the dream alive.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Shnooks posted:

Sell it! Try Etsy, eBay, Craigslist, dA, show your poo poo around on websites and find interested parties. If you genuinely cannot sell it, keep it till later, it may surprise you when you flog it off later. Also if you can bear it, start making art of easily sellable things, e.g. stuff you could tote to conventions and sell, sell to enthusiasts etc. E.g. a lovely sketch of a Daschund I did years ago sold on eBay for £50 to a lady who owns the breed, can't sniff at that.

Clockroach
Dec 12, 2010
Are you in or near a major city? It might take some digging but you can probably find a gallery or two that specializes in new artists or an arts coalition you can join. Also get on Call For Entry.org and enter some juried competitions.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Shnooks posted:

Get an Etsy or Bigcartel account. Make a Facebook fan page and promote the poo poo out of your work.

Look for galleries around you and show your work to them. Chances are, unless your work's recolored Sonic characters acting out weirdly specific fetishes straight out of the depths of DeviantArt, there'll be some gallery in your town that'll take your poo poo.

Don't be afraid to do some digging, either.

Pineapple Salad
Apr 4, 2012

What a neverending story, Mark!
^pretty much this. I live in a town that really doesn't have a great art community, and even here there are a number of restaurants, cafés, and galleries to show work at. You just need to give people a place to buy your work, and promote it as best as you can. Juried exhibitions are good things, so if you have work that is applicable, enter them.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

red stained & yellow painted glass

fuchsia organdy

(you can see an air bubble at the top, it has since been removed)

i did another purple one today but it doesn't photograph well.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
Some more watercolors:

12" x 10"

15" x 20"

Sketchbook (crossposted from the October DD thread)

Bugmeyer
Apr 23, 2006

Culture obsessed battle insect
A quick oil doodle. Trying to do more of these.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Kinda bad photos, my camera doesnt really like taking pictures of nothing, but white.....

But finally got my teeth on the wall :haw:

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
Made another splatter painting:

Improvised Orange/Violet
48” x 40”
Acrylic on Canvas
October 28, 2013

Space.Plant
Jul 23, 2006
Since there's no watercolor megathread, I hope this is the closest one for this.

I want to get some supplementary colors to expand my watercolor color palette. I do have the warm and cool primaries, plus burnt sienna.
The colors I have (all are Winsor&Newton artists' watercolors):
  • permanent rose (PV 19)
  • cadmium red (PR 108)
  • aureolin (PY 40)
  • lemon yellow (PY 53)
  • cobalt blue
  • french ultramarine (PB 29)
  • burnt sienna (PR 101)

A friend also suggested Payne's gray or indigo for a "black". Help please. :(

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

Space.Plant posted:

Since there's no watercolor megathread, I hope this is the closest one for this.

I want to get some supplementary colors to expand my watercolor color palette. I do have the warm and cool primaries, plus burnt sienna.
  • permanent rose (PV 19)
  • cadmium red (PR 108)
  • aureolin (PY 40)
  • lemon yellow (PY 53)
  • cobalt blue
  • burnt sienna (PR 101)

Advice for for supplies and techniques of traditional media are welcome here :).

I'm not the most experienced with watercolors but I think you should add some secondary colors to your palette (preferably 2 greens, oranges, and violets). Payne's grey isn't bad but I think it looks a little dull (I generally use dark blues or browns for "blacks" depending on whether the object painted is supposed to be warm or cool). I'd also recommend that you get some raw sienna and burnt umber for earth tones if you can.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Space.Plant posted:

• permanent rose (PV 19)
  • cadmium red (PR 108)
  • aureolin (PY 40)
  • lemon yellow (PY 53)
  • cobalt blue
  • burnt sienna (PR 101)

Payne's grey is great, def get some. Also you should have some burnt umber.

One thing that jumps out at me is that you don't have a cyan. Cobalt is a little bit cooler than ultramarine, but you might consider getting a phthalo cyan. The greens you get with that will be MUCH brighter. Phthalo cyan + burnt sienna = awesome purples. Be sparing with it, though, because it is really strong and tends to dominate mixes.

You don't need a tube green. Your green problems will be solved if you get a proper cyan.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Since materials questions are okay, just got the supplies list for three art classes I've signed up for through my university's crafts center. It's been years since I've arted any, so while the list looks fine I just wanted to know if there are any holes, and any suggested brands and such. For the record, I'm doing one class for 6 weeks then last 2 for 6 weeks after that. They're only one day a week, so hopefully it's not too much :v:

e: Oh, and any good books that would most likely be at my library (it's huge) would be great to work on brushing up on the basics.

First up I have a portrait class. I already had gotten this as a gift a while ago, and have hardly used it:

http://www.amazon.com/Derwent-Sketc...ing+drawing+set

Plus a sketching pad of decent size. They suggest the following:

Then after that I have an acrylic class. It's their second one, since I did mostly acrylic in high school:

And a portraits in watercolor class:

Since that's a lot of stuff, as a thank you have a bass fake tattoo I did for my roommate on 2 hours of sleep for the past 2 days. He was going to a 'white trash' party and asked for suggestions, I thought a bass fish would fit well:

I just used a soft pencil to draw outline, inked it with sharpie and filled in the rest. And of course signed it.

Karl Sharks fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 12, 2013

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Every time I use my Pentel or Kuretake brush pens, I end up with ink on my hands and smudging the page. :(

I scan them and work digitally but it takes me a little extra time to clean up in Photoshop.

Is there an easy way to avoid this?

Space.Plant
Jul 23, 2006

QuestWhat posted:

Advice for for supplies and techniques of traditional media are welcome here :).

I'm not the most experienced with watercolors but I think you should add some secondary colors to your palette (preferably 2 greens, oranges, and violets). Payne's grey isn't bad but I think it looks a little dull (I generally use dark blues or browns for "blacks" depending on whether the object painted is supposed to be warm or cool). I'd also recommend that you get some raw sienna and burnt umber for earth tones if you can.

neonnoodle posted:

Payne's grey is great, def get some. Also you should have some burnt umber.

One thing that jumps out at me is that you don't have a cyan. Cobalt is a little bit cooler than ultramarine, but you might consider getting a phthalo cyan. The greens you get with that will be MUCH brighter. Phthalo cyan + burnt sienna = awesome purples. Be sparing with it, though, because it is really strong and tends to dominate mixes.

You don't need a tube green. Your green problems will be solved if you get a proper cyan.
Thank you both for your help! :)

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Oh man, a thread with some printmaking? :swoon:

A litho/mokulito/relief print from a month or so ago:

I did finish this litho piece a little bit ago, but all I have for pictures on hand is the aluminum plate after rolling up for the second etch.

The biggest drawback to printmaking is the equipment it requires. The school has gorgeous facilities, presses, stones and other equipment, but all that goes poof upon graduation. Luckily, there is a local Book Arts Center with a litho and intaglio/relief press, so I can keep working after graduation. If anyone else here is interested in printmaking, there might be a similar shared studio space if you look around, especially with the growing fascination with letterpress. Otherwise, you can still do relief printmaking with a baren/spoon.

A favorite, just because the pun is just hilarious (to me, at least). Its a full 12 page 'magazine', but it's rife with so many printing problems. Xerox transfers for the background and four color screenprint for everything else.

I really want to revisit it and print a poster size version of the cover, but I'm not quite sure about doing a xerox transfer that large with lacquer thinner. The pages were also printed with two coats of gloss varnish to make the pages more magazine shiny. It worked, after a fashion, but ended up making them forever a tiny bit tacky. Has anyone had any success making a paper surface shiny with a similar medium?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I know it's been a few weeks now, but these are just so beautiful. Did you just start playing around with glass and come up with this technique?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Enfys posted:

I know it's been a few weeks now, but these are just so beautiful. Did you just start playing around with glass and come up with this technique?

No, I was actually messing with the medium in which the glass is suspended for many months and started using broken mirror pieces - check the pictures below - and moved on to glass. Now I use all sorts of materials, right now with an emphasis on trash! Will show some more new work next year

This was a small photography project I never completed called 100 fractured faces, I was taking pictures of faces reflected by the mirrors. No adhesives were used just like the glass suspensions, and even though the technique is 100% different the same material is used here as in the mason jars.

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

My latest painting for Hive Gallery's yearly Tarot Show.

Bugmeyer: Hey guy! :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What kind of paper do you recommend for acrylics? I use heavy, rough watercolor paper for watercolors but I find when using acrylics I can't build up layers. I think it's because the paper is absorbing the paint and causing it to blend instead of layer.

This is really thirsty paper. I have about 20 seconds to do wet-in-wet before it's bone dry.