Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Zero Gravitas posted:

Man, you should have watched the original leveson inquiry testimony. "I do not/can not recall (exactly)" was said so many times the participants might as well have had it on a tape recorder in their pocket so they didnt wear their vocal cords out.

It's going to be an amazing trial if they stick to that tactic, the prosecution will eat them for lunch.

For anyone who needs a catch up, here's Reuters on today's events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Anyone got a link to the original threads on this forum from when the whole thing blew up in 2011?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Zero Gravitas posted:

Man, you should have watched the original leveson inquiry testimony.

Oh I did watch it, my point is that this is now the sharp end and such denials aren't going to work in front of a jury. The prosecution went to pains to explain to the jury what the crime of conspiracy is. To stay out of jail, the defence has to refute the evidence of conspiracy. I simply can't see how. Saying "no I didn't" won't do it. Any attempt at some kind of major distraction from the point of the evidence is just going to annoy the judge (insert Chewbacca defence jokes here). All I can see the defence achieving is mitigation, not acquittal.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah: "I do not recall" isn't much use when you're facing a clever barrister who's up to speed on every detail of the case, has several days in which to question you and you're not in a position to say: "Ok, this interview's over!" but have to sit there and endure every question. They build their case gradually and forensically: stonewalling is a completely inadequate defensive tactic.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Umiapik posted:

Yeah: "I do not recall" isn't much use when you're facing a clever barrister who's up to speed on every detail of the case, has several days in which to question you and you're not in a position to say: "Ok, this interview's over!" but have to sit there and endure every question. They build their case gradually and forensically: stonewalling is a completely inadequate defensive tactic.

Such a shame this won't be televised...I'd pay to see some of this testimony on the big screen, it's going to be glorious.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
Defendants don't have to give evidence. They'll probably just put the prosecution to proof on every thing they say and attack any prosecution witnesses - it's hard to imagine a cross-examination going well for any of them.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

HTJ posted:

Defendants don't have to give evidence. They'll probably just put the prosecution to proof on every thing they say and attack any prosecution witnesses - it's hard to imagine a cross-examination going well for any of them.

How will we get our "A few good men" imitation if none of them get cross examined?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

how long is the trial expected to last?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

HTJ posted:

Due to contempt laws I'm not sure..... [edit] actually, I won't say that.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 31, 2013

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The prosecution resumes their opening statement at 10am (in 90 minutes). I thought it was over, but there's more!

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Due to contempt laws I'm not sure..... [edit] actually, I won't say that.

Since youre now pretty internet-famous, have any of your critics brought up something youve posted on SA as ammunition?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Little_wh0re posted:

how long is the trial expected to last?

It has been give a 5-6 month window.

The opening statement has been pretty damning already but I thought the same in the Oscar presaurious (sorry, can't remember how to spell his name) case, then the defence got up a pointed out all the holes in the argument. I thought that we'd have the same here except for the whole destroying evidence thing which is not going to end well for them!

In the words of Dr Krieger 'I penis can only get so hard'.

On a completely different aside I do like seeing justice in action, been meaning to drag myself down to the old bailey to watch a case or two.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Zero Gravitas posted:

Since youre now pretty internet-famous, have any of your critics brought up something youve posted on SA as ammunition?

Just the Syria Is hosed post, which I think is valid, although not my usual style of writing. The worst they'll probably find is I played way too much WoW and Dwarf Fortress 5 years ago.

I'm actually working on securing funding for a new website, basically the sort of thing I subjects, but with more contributors covering a wider range of subjects, and a section dedicated to examining and teaching investigations processes and tools.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So Nick Cohen has been grumbling at length about the trials and the overarching scandal. There's a lot I don't like about it (apart from the fact that it's by Nick Cohen), but I'm having a tough time articulating it. Thoughts?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Things are starting again, you can follow the Tweets from the court here.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

quote:

Jim Old
‏@SkyFixerJim
Edis: did nobody ever ask, what do we pay this chap for? Somebody must have decided what he was doing was worth a lot of money.

I feel this might be a bit of a sticking point.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

So Nick Cohen has been grumbling at length about the trials and the overarching scandal. There's a lot I don't like about it (apart from the fact that it's by Nick Cohen), but I'm having a tough time articulating it. Thoughts?

I've read the second link and he doesn't seem to be actually making arguments in places but rather listing a few facts and then hoping you'll come to the conclusion he wants. Take the first 5 paragraphs - Cohen lists the attempted sale of a sex-story and the journalists arrest but never actually states that the journalist was arrested because of the prior story. He just lets you connect the dots yourself.

Then there's the bullshit surprise about this being the most expensive investigation in the police's history - instead of catching murders or other explicitly bad guys, the police have been investing all their time and cash into this lark. He doesn't acknowledge that this investigation (note: not a specific operation and thereby giving himself loads of wiggle room) does include the police investigating inappropriate payments to police (Operation Elveden), which is necessarily going to be a huge operation to organise effectively.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
It's annoying because I like Cohen sometimes and his book is great but on this I couldn't disagree with him more. He goes on about the illegal side and how the police should have acted and the law used. Which is fine. But then he forgets that Leveson was also about morals and ethics as well, which clearly does need changing.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The prosecution is going through emails, Mulcaire's notes, and recordings that present some pretty compelling evidence

quote:

Edis picks up on the management structure of NotW. #hackingtrial He emphasises two dates: the first Mulcaire tasking 8th January 2001
Edis "The investigations unit of NoTW was set up by Brooks when she began editor. It was led by Miskiw and Mulcaire's taskings began."
Edis: "Mulcaire was paid weekly fee during that period. On 01/09/01 we went onto a written contract. His fee no longer came out of newsdesk"
Edis: It is part of the prosecution case that a big contract like would have been part of the management decision" #hackingtrial
Edis: "Most of his (Mulcaire's) money was paid through that contract, so it was never hidden from anyone." #hackingtrial
Edis: "You wouldn't have given someone a contract like that unless they were worth it... But who would have decided that?" #hackingtrial
Edis: "Let me begin this morning by asking you to listen... to a tape recording of Mulcaire 'blagging' - trying to get something from O2"
Crown plays a tape of Mulcaire changing various codes with O2 customer services. #hackingtrial
Mulcaire gets the UVN number from customer services, DDMs by using a network password. "He's chatty and engaging" #hackingtrial
Edis explains who real numbers have been bleeped out of the tapes "in order to prevent intruding into people's private things" #hackingtrial
Edis: "Prosecution say that was going on.... hacking ending in 06 with the arrest of Mulcaire and Goodman #hackingtrial
Edis: "What started the new police inquiry in Feb 11 was production of three short emails to the police by NI" #hackingtrial
Edis: "A timeline detailing the hacking of Tessa Jowell and David Mills. Mills became a subject of press interest because of an allegsation"
Edis: "An allegation of bribery in Italy concerning Berlusconi. This timeline will show you what happened." #hackingtrial
Edis: back to the three NI emails produced by NI in civil litigation in 2011. "I will put them up one after the other onto the screen"
Edis: "First on, 20 April 2006. From.. a Mulcaire address. A snapshot of what was happening in 2006. It's about Tessa."
Edis read: Tessa Mob. Pin. David Mills. Mob. No pin Substantial traffic both ways, looks like she's selling up."
Edis: "The name at top, John Chapman, he's a lawyer at NI. Mr Chapman was the lawyer who found these." #hackingtrial
Edis: "Next one. 27th April 2006. This is Fred Windsor. Member of Royal Family. Mob. Mail Box number. Press star. Pin." #hackingtrial
Edis: Mulcaire is telling Edmondson how to hack Fred Windsor, we say.
Edis: 3rd; "Joan Hammill, advisor to Prescott.. the subject of intense media interest because of an affair with someone else." #hackingtrial
Edis: "Mobile number, Mailbox. Star. Pin. There are 45 messages there... you could only that if you were hacking" #hackingtrial
Edis: "Now let's look at the Tessa Jowell timeline. We'll put up on the screen some Mulcaire notes for Jowell and Mills." #hackingtrial
Edis on Mulcaire notes: "Top left. Ian. We know who it is. The mobile phone number. Jowell. Left hand side 02. The supplier is for her"
Interesting Mulcaire used the name James Cook during the blagging as well, although I'm not sure I can say why, and it's not something that's relevant to the case, just an interesting co-incidence.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
Out of curiosity, BM, will you be able to disclose the information you're privy to after the trial, even if it doesn't come out, or is it a kind of eternal embargo?

haakman
May 5, 2011
Basically, I want to know if what Gawker said is true, and if so, will it ever be allowed to be told in the UK or will utterance of said event which may or may not have happened be forever verboten?

Shameful I know, but I like to hear gossip regarding our glorious rulers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

thehustler posted:

It's annoying because I like Cohen sometimes and his book is great but on this I couldn't disagree with him more. He goes on about the illegal side and how the police should have acted and the law used. Which is fine. But then he forgets that Leveson was also about morals and ethics as well, which clearly does need changing.

So how do you draw a line between the crackdown againstt the Guardian and the one against News International? I figure there has to be a way, but I'm having a tough time putting my finger on it (the moral difference is obvious, but if you have your doubts about the government's capacity to act in a moral manner and concerns about its willingness to use moral panic to its own, less savoury ends, the relevance can be questionable). The Hackgate stuff seems to have more to do with individual right to privacy, I guess, and then there's the question of how many teeth these new reforms actually have, but I don't really have a coherent argument here.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Igiari posted:

Out of curiosity, BM, will you be able to disclose the information you're privy to after the trial, even if it doesn't come out, or is it a kind of eternal embargo?

Once all the trials are out of the way I think it'll be okay, it's just a lot of stuff that would be pre-judicial to the trials. There's a lot of stuff that's been going on for the past months that you would only know if you were looking for it specifically and did a lot of reading between the lines, but are covered by reporting restrictions. It's nothing mega-dramatic, like Raisa the horse murdering Milly Dowler, but interesting to anyone following everything closely. A bit nail-biting too.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Brown Moses posted:

Raisa the horse murdered Milly Dowler

Smoking-gun right here. Brown Moses has now contempted the hell out of court.

Daveman23
Aug 4, 2003
The News of the World staff clearly didn't think much of Mulcaire if his nickname was "Trigger".

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"Mr Edis says Stuart Kuttner signed of 221 payments to Mulcaire worth £413,527."

Straight from the twitter page BM linked above.

gently caress me, 400k for sitting and dialiing a few phone numbers.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

happyhippy posted:

"Mr Edis says Stuart Kuttner signed of 221 payments to Mulcaire worth £413,527."

Straight from the twitter page BM linked above.

gently caress me, 400k for sitting and dialiing a few phone numbers.

Can money "earned", or pubs bought, for instance, be seized as the proceeds of crime?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

"Brooks and Coulson had six year affair, claim prosecution." - Nick Davies ‏@Bynickdavies

:munch:

haakman
May 5, 2011
Itshappening.gif

Will they have the balls to mention any of the other 'allegations'?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Plavski posted:

"Brooks and Coulson had six year affair, claim prosecution." - Nick Davies ‏@Bynickdavies

I can't remember, is that relevant to anything or just something fun?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The horse must be devastated.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Plavski posted:

That sound you hear coming out of Westminster is the the collective Tory party Spin department making GBS threads itself.

There is always more, and it is always worse :allears:

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

I can't remember, is that relevant to anything or just something fun?

Remember they're charged with conspiracy -- it's quite important to establish how close they were, what level of trust there was between them, and so on.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

gently caress, finally, I've known about Brooks and Coulson with 100% certainty from a very good source for months.

[edit] Here's the lunch time update.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 31, 2013

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Sex Vicar posted:

That sound you hear coming out of Westminster is the the collective Tory party Spin department making GBS threads itself.

It's annoying the BBC seem to have stopped mentioning his Cameron connection. Oh well, it's well enough known I think.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
So I guess the RBAC.jpg thing was a hint after all.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I can scarecely believe that, back when Horsegate and poo poo was just emerging, all this stuff was a hopeful joke. That its possibly coming true is :psyduck:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

"Edis has just read out letter said to have been written by Rebekah Brooks as Andy Coulson was reportedly breaking off relationship..."

"RB letter to AC: 'you are my very best friend...I confide in you, I love you..we laugh and cry together...I'm frightened to be without you'"

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Sex Vicar posted:

Worse? This is glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Im pretty sure we speculated on a brooks/coulson affair in the original thread. Does anyone remember who called it?

EDIT: My mistake, I called a Brooks - Cameron affair. Heres hoping :getin:

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 31, 2013

• Locked thread