Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

How bad is a new tranny on one of those bitches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Powershift posted:

I put 800km of abuse onto this and it still didn't bust loose.

I'll probably blow it up in a burnout competition at some point.

I think this guy tried the same thing, didn't work out so well:

What lurks beneath that mangled wheel and tire? How about a bent inner tie rod!

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 31, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Powershift posted:

Quick, how much do i bid.

It says hole in transmission and doesn't list which engine (V10 or Cummins?) so I'll withhold judgement.

Good Cummins? Maybe worth buying. Automatic and/or V10? Nope.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

kastein posted:

It says hole in transmission and doesn't list which engine (V10 or Cummins?) so I'll withhold judgement.

Good Cummins? Maybe worth buying. Automatic and/or V10? Nope.

Isn't that the Cummins badge on the fender?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

$500, pray, make fummins.

Sorry to disappoint. Bought this instead. 99 with 195k km on a 7.3l. Inop but I take that as a challenge.

http://m.rbauction.com/mt/www.rbauction.com/1999-ford-f250-xl-pickup?invId=3904288&id=ci&un_jtt_v_product_detail=yes

Pray for mojo.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Carteret posted:

Isn't that the Cummins badge on the fender?

It also says diesel in the listing and the non-SRT V10 wasn't available in '05.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Well drat, guess I was wrong there :v: didn't even see that.

That is a rather interesting brush guard on the one you got...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

Well drat, guess I was wrong there :v: didn't even see that.

That is a rather interesting brush guard on the one you got...

As you may already know. Me and Moose have a history.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I almost hit a deer the other day and was rather pissed off at the stupid creature. I'm very glad moose are not something I have to deal with. I doubt anger would be my primary emotion if I encountered one of those on the road.

Looks like it could be a fun truck/mad max dealio.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
A moose weighs as much as a Honda Civic, those...bits of metal look a bit too thin to have any effect.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I ordered a pair of wheel pins from Tischer's online parts store for my BMW. They don't thread in, but have tapered plastic instead. I find it easier than my old Toyota. Mileage may vary.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Galler posted:

I almost hit a deer the other day and was rather pissed off at the stupid creature. I'm very glad moose are not something I have to deal with. I doubt anger would be my primary emotion if I encountered one of those on the road.

You'd probably be glad to be alive.. assuming you survived.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Sorry to disappoint. Bought this instead. 99 with 195k km on a 7.3l. Inop but I take that as a challenge.

http://m.rbauction.com/mt/www.rbauction.com/1999-ford-f250-xl-pickup?invId=3904288&id=ci&un_jtt_v_product_detail=yes

Pray for mojo.

You're a crazy fucker for not getting a Snowcat. What auction did you go to in order to get that BMW? Regal is a shitshow lately and I want me some horror-story Miatas.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
How do you manage to put a hole in a heavy-duty transmission?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

^^^Because Dodge used crap transmissions with bad torque converters, that's how. The torque converter overheats, which cooks everything in the transmission eventually, then bearings fail and everything departs the transmission via the shortest route.

Carteret posted:

How bad is a new tranny on one of those bitches?

Around these parts, about $8200 installed. You can get a rebuilt unit with aftermarket (read: better than stock) parts for $4500 or so.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Michael Scott posted:

How do you manage to put a hole in a heavy-duty transmission?

It's not really a heavy duty transmission, unfortunately :v:

They can be made to last with careful service and usage, and maybe a few upgrades when rebuilt... but it's like keeping a Ford 6.0hno alive. Why would you do that to yourself when you can choose from much better options?

That said, the NV4500 manuals they came with have only one serious flaw, the fifth gear retention nut likes to back off the shaft, specifically on diesels from the higher torque and torsional vibrations. Typically people crank it back down and then use a variety of methods to keep it from undoing again, including a small TIG tack weld across the threads right behind the nut.

The NV5600 6-speed manuals have some sort of a vulnerability as well but I can't recall what it is. If I find one, ever, I'm pulling it even if it means I have to eat ramen for a week, then selling it on craigslist for 15 times what I paid for it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You're a crazy fucker for not getting a Snowcat. What auction did you go to in order to get that BMW? Regal is a shitshow lately and I want me some horror-story Miatas.

There were 50 drat Snowcats and they all went over $40k. I wanted the non runner range rover hse but someone from Saudi wouldn't let me have it.

The BMW was the last car of the day at Michener in Calgary.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

The NV5600 6-speed manuals have some sort of a vulnerability as well but I can't recall what it is. If I find one, ever, I'm pulling it even if it means I have to eat ramen for a week, then selling it on craigslist for 15 times what I paid for it.

Yellow metal synchros in a 450 lb transmission and a manufacturing partnership that failed in 05 leaving a lack of parts. It's cleared up now and they are 2200 rebuilt.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

xzzy posted:

You'd probably be glad to be alive.. assuming you survived.

The family across the street from my childhood house owned some land up in the mountains. They were driving their 1980-ish Suburban up there when they came upon a moose standing in the road...they stopped to wait it out. Well, the moose didn't like the interruption and proceeded to trash the entire front end of the truck. Hood, headlights, grille, bumper, radiator, rad mounts, fenders. Then it sauntered off.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

The family across the street from my childhood house owned some land up in the mountains. They were driving their 1980-ish Suburban up there when they came upon a moose standing in the road...they stopped to wait it out. Well, the moose didn't like the interruption and proceeded to trash the entire front end of the truck. Hood, headlights, grille, bumper, radiator, rad mounts, fenders. Then it sauntered off.

A family friend stopped for a deer on his way back from a hunting trip. The deer stopped, stared at the truck, then got scared and ran off the road onto the shoulder, then immediately popped a high speed 180, smashed into the passenger side door, jamming it against the frame and broke its neck by wedging its nose in the crook of the mirror arm.

Truck was totaled.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've seen a car that hit a Clydesdale on the interstate. It looked about how you'd imagine. I actually saw the horse first, when they were trying to use construction equipment to get it off the road, then I saw the car at a dealership's bodyshop a couple of days later. There was fur everywhere.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Powershift posted:

Yellow metal synchros in a 450 lb transmission and a manufacturing partnership that failed in 05 leaving a lack of parts. It's cleared up now and they are 2200 rebuilt.

poo poo, they really used brass in the NV5600? I didn't know it weighed 450lbs, either. I know the 4500 has carbon fiber composite synchros that melt into a pile of goo if you use regular GL5 in them, and I've picked one of those heavy bastards up alone, so I'm pretty sure it's under 250 or so.

I get transmissions, no matter what they came out of, for $100 to $130 at the local you-pull. I saw dollar signs the first time I happened upon a manual fullsize dodge with a 5.9 V8, it wasn't the diesel NV4500 (which I could have sold for 1200+ dollars easily around here!) but the gasser NV4500 in it still sold for $600 in a matter of weeks.

Those are the kinds of margins that will still motivate me to bust my rear end pulling parts and then dealing with feckless halfwits on craigslist.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A family friend stopped for a deer on his way back from a hunting trip. The deer stopped, stared at the truck, then got scared and ran off the road onto the shoulder, then immediately popped a high speed 180, smashed into the passenger side door, jamming it against the frame and broke its neck by wedging its nose in the crook of the mirror arm.

About 5 years ago, I was in Texas Hill Country on a 2 lane road (specifically, Kerr County.

Saw the reflection of eyes off to the side of the road, slowed way down. Sure enough, a deer ran out.

I stopped, expecting the deer to cross the road. He started to, then turned around, and... the rear end in a top hat ran head first into the LF fender. Fell down. Got up. Slammed into it again. Fell down again. Slammed into it again. This repeated several times. The car was not moving at the time (well, aside from rocking back and forth from :downs: deer slamming himself into it). Eventually the deer got up and stumbled off in a daze.

I was laughing my rear end off until I parked.... and couldn't get the door open. :saddowns:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
My friend hit a moose going about 50 kmh ten years ago (the kmh where faster back then I guess).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Deer are completely loving retarded animals. Unless you have a rifle in your hands, then they turn into Einstein with antlers.

I had a coyote commit suicide the other night. Friggin' thing jumped over the Jersey barrier and hurled itself right at my wheel.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
My high school class took a trip to the Keys. While driving on one of those narrow as gently caress 2 lane roads, a pygmy deer decided to dive bomb one of the charter bus' tires. Funniest thing I'd ever seen (it bounced off the hubcap and ran off in a daze, thankfully).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

anonumos posted:

My high school class took a trip to the Keys. While driving on one of those narrow as gently caress 2 lane roads, a pygmy deer decided to dive bomb one of the charter bus' tires. Funniest thing I'd ever seen (it bounced off the hubcap and ran off in a daze, thankfully).

Key Deer (not pygmy deer) are endangered.

Cute little buggers, too.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

MrYenko posted:

Key Deer (not pygmy deer) are endangered.

Sounds like we know why. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ironblock posted:

Sounds like we know why. :v:

Much like white tails, they're loving dumb. :downs:

(Combined with their natural range being minuscule.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I was in a Hummer following a 5 ton truck at Ft Bragg. Two of the scrawniest deer North Carolina has ever produced, decided to 'Goodbye cruel world!" by running into the rear wheel well of said 5ton.

When the convoy stopped we had to hose deer pulp off of our hood and the complete underside of the truck. The truck driver never noticed his rear wheels had become a deer frappe maker until we stold him what happened. After we stopped gagging and laughing of course.

It looked like somebody had pushed the deer through a blender and then sprayed it through a firehose. Biggest piece of anything solid I saw was a bone fragment about 2" long.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

When the convoy stopped we had to hose deer pulp off of our hood and the complete underside of the truck. The truck driver never noticed his rear wheels had become a deer frappe maker until we stold him what happened. After we stopped gagging and laughing of course.

It looked like somebody had pushed the deer through a blender and then sprayed it through a firehose. Biggest piece of anything solid I saw was a bone fragment about 2" long.

I worked with a guy once who claimed his wife pulled that off.. in a 3 series bmw.

Driving home late at night, deer performs ritual suicide. After everything came to a screeching halt said wife did a circuit of the car, front bumper was kind of messed up but the car was running and the deer was nowhere to be found. So she decided to hop back in the car and finish the drive. Complaints of "something smells bad" after she got home. So her dutiful husband went out to survey the damage, pokes his head under the rear bumper and sees a pair of (very dead) deer eyes staring at him.

The "official" story is in the panic of the collision she missed that she had run over the deer. Which is probably true, but her husband's interpretation of what he saw is that as she tried to pull away the bulk of the carcass got ripped up and spit out the back, because most of the body was missing by the time the car got home. There's no way she could have not noticed more bumping and scraping as she drove off, but she claimed she heard nothing. At any rate, a number of legs and various innards got tangled up around in the underbody. By his description there was hooves sticking out of the suspension, various bits of gore dangling from panels and exhaust components, and the head had become wedged between the differential and an a-arm. Everything was cooked a nice medium rare from the abuses it had suffered.

He didn't try to recover the car, he sold it for scrap and bought a new one. :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I climbed under the "hole in transmission" dodge.

The "hole" is the entire back half of the tranny. The only thing keeping the transfer case off the ground is cross member.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 31, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Powershift posted:

I climbed under the "hole in transmission" dodge.

The "hole" is the entire back half of the tranny. The only thing keeping the transfer case off the ground is cross member.

You might want to scale that second one down :stare: I don't know why the timg isn't working but holy gently caress it is large.

I wonder what the hell happened to that thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

You might want to scale that second one down :stare: I don't know why the timg isn't working but holy gently caress it is large.

I wonder what the hell happened to that thing.

It's a dodge. It's what they do.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Phanatic posted:

Deer are completely loving retarded animals. Unless you have a rifle in your hands, then they turn into Einstein with antlers.

I had a coyote commit suicide the other night. Friggin' thing jumped over the Jersey barrier and hurled itself right at my wheel.

If that's a 5.0 it was just following its pack instinct. :mmmhmm:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

What happens when the Uhaul truck is overloaded with plywood? It bottoms out the suspension and the tires rubbing on the wheel well catch fire. This was after some of the stuff in the back was unloaded.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
That's some poor design by the U Haul truck body builders if the tires rub against the body at full jounce. I bet they didn't take into account the max size of the tires when they're spinning on the freeway.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's probably not lovely design, probably lovely maintenance. Bumpstops/jounce pads are great till you don't inspect or repair them ever and the rubber block comes off the metal backing, then they get noticeably shorter.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Giblet Plus! posted:

That's some poor design by the U Haul truck body builders if the tires rub against the body at full jounce. I bet they didn't take into account the max size of the tires when they're spinning on the freeway.

Even properly designed, you do realize it's still possible to overload it to the point of...well...that.

User error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.
I second the maintenance comment on that uhaul.. I could easily put that much plywood in the back of my pickup truck and I wouldn't have that problem. If it was stacked to the roof maybe, but that's only like 15 or 20 sheets of plywood..

edit: the door of a uhaul is only about 7 feet-ish wide. So those aren't full sheets of 4x8 of plywood.

superv0zz fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 31, 2013