Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah, they're great little boxes, but they do have CPU limits in how much you can do with them. QoS tends to tax things more than anything else.

Also if you have a pc laying around, you can install the community version of Vyatta and run the current revision of the same software the Ubiquiti's running.

QoS is one of those things that the offload hardware doesn't support [yet?], so all packets are run through the CPU once you enable it. Other configurations that bypass the offload hardware include non-IPsec tunnels terminated on the router (OpenVPN, GRE, and PPTP/PPPoE/L2TP), and flow accounting (Netflow). If you're just doing plain IPv4/IPv6 routing, stateful firewall/NAT, IPsec, and/or VLANs (support added in the 1.3 beta firmware) then all of it should be offloadable. That said, it does sport a dual-core 500Mhz CPU, so it should be able to handle at least as much as an RB2011 without the hardware assist.

EdgeOS was forked from Vyatta 6.3, so that's the version to experiment with if you're planning on moving the config to an EdgeRouter. The most noticeable change in the later versions of Vyatta compared to 6.3 is the configuration syntax for NAT, so just know that you'll have to use the older syntax on EdgeOS. The Vyatta documentation is excellent and 98% of it still applies to EdgeOS if the Ubiquiti wiki and forums how-tos don't go in-depth enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

SamDabbers posted:

Edit: A bad power brick may be causing the reboots. Try swapping it out.
Hmmm, it generally runs fine once stable settings are in place. No biggie, I can dig up another power supply just in case. It gets really unstable when you try to setup 802.11n and don't enable all the fiddly things. It's kind of a serious pain in the rear end. Also mixing Apple products in with Windows clients is a recipe for adventure.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Just for the sake of curiosity, what's the most affordable MikroTik router out there with decent, responsive and reliable VPN support? (i.e. support for services like HostVPN)

Or does that not exist? I'm assuming you don't really get that until you get into the more commercial-grade, rack-mount routers from MikroTik.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
All of their routers run the same software and have the same features. There are some differences in license levels though.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Yeah, if you can get the VPN service working with RouterOS, the only thing a Routerboard with a beefier CPU gets you is faster throughput. Even the low end models like the 750GL can push a few Mbps through a VPN tunnel with the right combination of traffic and encryption settings, but as the OP says, they're not really meant for high-speed VPN.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Is anyone here running the RB751G-2HnD?
I've been having wired network dropout problems since 6.2, but after rolling back to 6.1 it's rock solid. The connection from my HTPC to my NAS drops for around 10mins at a time before re-establishing, i don't seem to have any connectivity problems from my wifi clients at the time this is occurring though.

Can't see anything on their forums or the web describing the problem however..

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

GrandMaster posted:

I've been having wired network dropout problems since 6.2, but after rolling back to 6.1 it's rock solid. The connection from my HTPC to my NAS drops for around 10mins at a time before re-establishing, i don't seem to have any connectivity problems from my wifi clients at the time this is occurring though.

Try 6.4, 6.2 had all kinds of stability issues for me on my 751s and 2011s, 6.4 seems pretty solid so far.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Thanks for that, will give it a try tonight :)
My RB750GL on 6.2 & 6.3 has been stable, only the 751's were giving me grief.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

GrandMaster posted:

I have one of these and it runs great but I also run 5.something

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I updated to 6.2 without thinking about it and I can't make uPNP work at all, even though it says it's enabled and the interfaces are defined. Very frustrating. I don't even know what version I was on prior to the update -- probably 5.something. Are there any caveats to downgrading? Is it the same process?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Upgrade to the latest 6 (6.4) before downgrading to see if it works there.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Looks like I got one of those RB2011 boxes with the ethernet ports that freeze up or something.

Anyone else have the problem and know if the 6.4 upgrade works? (which includes new bios/firmware and therefore can't be downgraded)

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Why not return it for a new one?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

It's a bug, they addressed it in 6.2 I believe. 6.4 seems rock solid for everywhere we've used it. I don't think you'll have any trouble at all moving up to that AND it should fix the lockup error on the 2011.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I setup L2TP/IPSEC today for client VPN. It works great, however, can you do split tunnels with L2TP? I want my internet traffic and any other non-vpn traffic to go out my default gateway and only have my vpn network go through the tunnel.

Running a trace route to google.com, it is going through the tunnel at the moment.

Edit: Never mind, apparently I can do this on the client side in Windows by unchecking "Use default gateway on the remote network" in the TCP/IP settings of the adapter.

With that being said, is there any way on the server side to force a full tunnel rather than a split tunnel or is that only available through proprietary client software?

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 4, 2013

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Is there any way to use a DNS server in RouterOS?

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

IT Guy posted:

How do you mean? Do you want it to act as a DNS server (it can, kinda) or just hand out DNS server info to VPN/DHCP clients (easy)?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

IT Guy posted:

Here's all the lowdown on DNS in RouterOS: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/DNS

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

How do you mean? Do you want it to act as a DNS server (it can, kinda) or just hand out DNS server info to VPN/DHCP clients (easy)?

The former.

CuddleChunks posted:

Here's all the lowdown on DNS in RouterOS: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/DNS

Thanks it looks like the built in server through the cache will do me fine for now.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

IP-> DNS-> allow remote requests

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So the house I had a MikroTik installed at decided to have one of their guys go full retard and factory reset the MikroTik I left there, and then get really pissy and confused when I called them dumb and their poo poo stopped working.

I finally got them to the point where I can administer it remotely, and there's still some poo poo hosed up:

- Terminal always displays "error opening serial port, already used by Serial Console (6)

And, is there a completely foolproof, braindead guide I can follow to getting VPN setup?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

falz posted:

You may want to check to see if your SIP device supports STUN/Nat server entry anyway so you don't have to mess with the router's config to make it work (other than the NAT entry inbound)

Almost all modern routers/FW should have a helper or full-blown ALG function to fix issues like this.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How well does EoIP work? I have a customer demanding a layer 2 connection with one end on a VSAT link and the other our teleport. I'd like to build a tunnel with something from the remote site to our rack and present a layer 2 interface as economically as I can. They're only going to be connecting a layer 3 device via a /30 on each side. There is no NAT required on my side to build this tunnel.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
EoIP works... okay. It's only as fast as the connection between the two endpoints, and there's some overhead (and invisible-to-the-end-user packet fragmentation with large packets, especially if you're doing jumbo frames or other craziness).

I've used it for a couple short-term projects (moving servers between data centers in advance of moving the data centers' actual uplinks), but I dunno if I'd recommend it for a longer-term solution.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Anyone looking at the new Cloud Router Switch? Knowing MT I have a bad feeling that things will need to be split across certain port groups for performance.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

thebigcow posted:

Anyone looking at the new Cloud Router Switch? Knowing MT I have a bad feeling that things will need to be split across certain port groups for performance.

According to the block diagram all of the ports are on one switch chip, so performance across port groups shouldn't be an issue, but until someone actually has one, who knows.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I have an RB2011UAS-2HnD-IN and when I VPN using L2TP/IPSEC md5/sha I can get max speeds of about 900kB/s. Looking at the CPU, it's at 100% when transferring like this. What is the cheapest routerboard I can buy that would get me about 5mB/s? Would I be better off building my own x86 box?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

kiwid posted:

I have an RB2011UAS-2HnD-IN and when I VPN using L2TP/IPSEC md5/sha I can get max speeds of about 900kB/s. Looking at the CPU, it's at 100% when transferring like this. What is the cheapest routerboard I can buy that would get me about 5mB/s? Would I be better off building my own x86 box?

I've never found good sizing information, and a lot of what is out there suggests selecting the shittiest possible encryption method for performance. I think the next CPU up would be the RB1100AHx2 at about $350.

There are a lot of people using Routerboards professionally on the Mikrotik forums, if you can get past English as a fourth language I would ask there.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

kiwid posted:

If you have the option, can you change the cipher to something like twofish or AES?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

thebigcow posted:

I've never found good sizing information, and a lot of what is out there suggests selecting the shittiest possible encryption method for performance. I think the next CPU up would be the RB1100AHx2 at about $350.

There are a lot of people using Routerboards professionally on the Mikrotik forums, if you can get past English as a fourth language I would ask there.

When it comes it IPSEC, 3DES is generally both the weakest and slowest encryption. AES128 is considerably faster and more secure.

If you aren't stuck on Mikrotik, take a look at the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter. Even the $99 model has hardware IPSEC acceleration.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Ahh, sorry, it's authentication: sha1, encryption: 3des that I'm using.

I tried AES256 but failed to connect. Is there a list of compatible auth/crypt that the built in Windows 8 client is compatible with?

edit: Tried using AES128 but connection fails still.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 7, 2013

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know a think about microtik but I'm sure I have dial in L2TP running with AES on some fortigates that works fine with windows and iOS.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

When I was trying to get this working, I think Windows necessitated leaving 3DES as the encryption algorithm under IPSec/Peers as it wouldn't connect otherwise, but if you tick off the AES-xxx boxes in the settings under IPSec/Proposals then Windows will use whatever encryption it determines is best. Once it was set this way then Windows could connect and it showed AES encryption under the connection properties display.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

The_Franz posted:

When I was trying to get this working, I think Windows necessitated leaving 3DES as the encryption algorithm under IPSec/Peers as it wouldn't connect otherwise, but if you tick off the AES-xxx boxes in the settings under IPSec/Proposals then Windows will use whatever encryption it determines is best. Once it was set this way then Windows could connect and it showed AES encryption under the connection properties display.

This got me connected, thanks. However, AES-128 was even worse than 3DES for some reason.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

MicroTik posted:

What's new in 6.7 (2013-Nov-29 13:37):

*) support Android usb tethering interface

That's an interesting new feature and potentially very useful.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

drk posted:

That's an interesting new feature and potentially very useful.

That's pretty sick actually! I haven't upgraded since 6.1, but that's pretty compelling to check out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Now we just need to see how many totally unrelated bugs have been introduced

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

If I'm on my work's network and I VPN home to my routerboard over L2TP/IPSEC, I lose my single sign on capabilities on my work's network. As soon as I disconnect the VPN I'm able to authenticate to my work's resources via SSO again.

What is happening and how do I fix it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is your DNS server being changed to the one on the other end of your VPN connection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Caged posted:

Is your DNS server being changed to the one on the other end of your VPN connection?

Ah yes it is, but why?

Here is the profile:

My DNS is still being changed.