Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the Times' piece on the affair
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article3909360.ece

Expert plenty more of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Zero Gravitas posted:

Im pretty sure we speculated on a brooks/coulson affair in the original thread. Does anyone remember who called it?

EDIT: My mistake, I called a Brooks - Cameron affair. Heres hoping :getin:

Holding out for a Coulson-Cameron affair. I dream big.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
From the very beginning I knew all of this had legs. All the people who said "Who cares? It's not going to go anywhere..."

You always pull the thread, because it's attached to the string, that's woven into a rope, that's fashioned into a noose, that hangs around the guilty neck.

The way they are painstakingly layering this must be hell for those in the dock. Starting small then working up. Slowly skinning them alive.

Couldn't happen to nicer people.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Scene from court today.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Holding out for a Coulson-Cameron affair. I dream big.

I have heard rumour of something infinitely worse... I am sure you have too. I can't wait for it to come out.

There's a certain German word for all of this...

Also I hope Ross Kemp decks Coulson.

haakman fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 31, 2013

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Lots of love.

The cherry on top of this is to hear this news broken in the most understated, British manner by the likes of Nick Davies on Twitter.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

haakman posted:

I have heard rumour of something infinitely worse... I am sure you have too. I can't wait for it to come out.

Cameron/Raisa?

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

What I wouldn't give for this to be live streaming at the moment.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

The Dark Project posted:

From the very beginning I knew all of this had legs. All the people who said "Who cares? It's not going to go anywhere..."

You always pull the thread, because it's attached to the string, that's woven into a rope, that's fashioned into a noose, that hangs around the guilty neck.

The way they are painstakingly layering this must be hell for those in the dock. Starting small then working up. Slowly skinning them alive.

Couldn't happen to nicer people.

But you pull treads to cause things to become unravelled. Don't you?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

notaspy posted:

But you pull treads to cause things to become unravelled. Don't you?

Yeah, pulling the thread would unravel the noose and so let them escape with their lives... according to the logic of that metaphor anyway.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Plavski posted:

Yeah, pulling the thread would unravel the noose and so let them escape with their lives... according to the logic of that metaphor anyway.

Maybe "gathering the individual threads, to fashion a cord, from which to create a rope, and finally tie a noose" would be a better metaphor.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

You guys are no fun.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

haakman posted:

Also I hope Ross Kemp decks Coulson.

If it's Roop and Brooks, that's already out?

Sam Cam/Raisa?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Coulson/Cameron?

Wait...

:barf:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

glitchkrieg posted:

If it's Roop and Brooks, that's already out?

Sam Cam/Raisa?

Rupert / Cameron.

Lord knows the Tories are in bed with News Corp already, Rupert probably required this to seal the deal.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Camdeng for the scandal of the century

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
Sorry, but who's this "Raisa" name that keeps appearing?

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...
The horse.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Chocolate Teapot posted:

It's the name of the ex-police horse belonging to Rebekah Brooks that David Cameron rode. It was quite the scandal for a few days last year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/9118305/Horsegate-I-did-ride-Rebekah-Brookss-police-horse-Raisa-says-David-Cameron.html

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Respected CiF columnist

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Mikhail Gorbachev's wife

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

For those who need catching up on the days action, here's a couple of summaries from The Drum and Press Reform blogs.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Sure thing buddy. In fact most of us can't loving wait to hear the defence case. :allears: :munch:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

limited posted:

Sure thing buddy. In fact most of us can't loving wait to hear the defence case. :allears: :munch:

I am guessing something involving magic will be the main defence.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Brown Moses posted:

Here's the Times' piece on the affair
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article3909360.ece

Expert plenty more of those.

Lovely, I hope it sticks and this David chap isn't right.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

limited posted:

Could they throw Rupert and James under the bus?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Do Tories wear the red poppy pin for the same reasons that Republicans wear US flag pins?

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

RandomPauI posted:

Do Tories wear the red poppy pin for the same reasons that Republicans wear US flag pins?

No, it's a universal thing. If you have a public image of any sort to maintain then you wear the poppy in November, regardless of where you are on the political spectrum.

Poppy sales are for charity though, is that the case for flag pins in the US?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd be surprised if less than 95% of pins were made and sold for profit. And I'd venture a guess that the vast majority of those were made in China.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HortonNash posted:

Could they throw Rupert and James under the bus?

Nope, literally everything that happens in this trial will be to keep them (and Lachlan) as clean as possible. In fact, given how few guilty pleas there have been, it's almost certain that there's not enough in the prosecution case to touch them.

Gimby
Sep 6, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

I'd be surprised if less than 95% of pins were made and sold for profit. And I'd venture a guess that the vast majority of those were made in China.

The poppy pins that you see most people wearing - including politicians - are from the Royal British Legion, a veteran's charity : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_poppy. They are made in the UK by disabled veterans : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppy_Factory. Not that there isn't controversy surrounding them, particularly in Northern Ireland and we get the usual red poppy/white poppy controversy this time of year as well - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_poppy_%28symbol%29.

funkybluntster
Jan 23, 2005
Junglist
There's now way Brooks will see the inside of a cell even if guilty of any of the charges. I highly doubt Coulson will either but he may be the fall guy.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The British Legion are pretty insistent on not using them for political motivations, aswell, but I'm not sure how seriously most politicians take that.

I remember Nick Griffin was wearing one pretty much during all his broadcasts, even though it wasn't the right time of year for it, and the British Legion wrote an open letter to all the newspapers telling him to stop trying to make it political. The old boys fighting the Nazis one last time :britain:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Schadenfreude isn't a long enough word to express my feelings at the moment.

Just need the adultery to be between Samantha Cameron and Rebekah Brooks to really ice that cake. :allears:

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

funkybluntster posted:

There's now way Brooks will see the inside of a cell even if guilty of any of the charges. I highly doubt Coulson will either but he may be the fall guy.

I've got £50 wagered with someone on reddit that says they both do at least a week inside, so they'd loving better. Seriously though, at the very least they're going to have to do a token sentence for PCoJ even if they get away with all the hacking stuff, I just can't believe there's a QC on the planet that's good enough to get them off entirely. Surely? Maybe? Oh gently caress it I'm going to need my chequebook aren't I? :(

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Tomorrow should be the prosecution talking about their alleged attempts to destroy the evidence of their wrongdoing, so that should be interesting.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Tomorrow's front pages are out. See if you can spot the outlier in tomorrow's coverage.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Sex Vicar posted:

Tomorrow's front pages are out. See if you can spot the outlier in tomorrow's coverage.

Jesus, that Daily Heil headline...."Union thugs"

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Personally, my favorite is "Hacking 'Suspects'".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Internet Webguy posted:

Personally, my favorite is "Hacking 'Suspects'".

That's the one that caught my attention to. I mean seriously, they need to qualify "suspects?" Like there's actual doubt that the state at least suspects them of being involved? Weak spin attempt, Daily Heil, weak.

• Locked thread