Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I picked up that G-Sync Asus monitor for $200 used on Amazon, hopefully I can put up with it being not-an-IPS

Does anyone know whenabouts Nvidia was going to release the DIY G-Sync chip for this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

If I recall correctly the 290X went for sale around 10:30CST. Maybe the 290 non-x will do the same tonight?

http://www.techpowerup.com/193497/radeon-r9-290-non-x-launch-pushed-back-a-week.html

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Ugh.

It's probably another two-four weeks for the 290X according to Amazon.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Would a 660 ti GTX SLI setup be superior to a 770 GTX? I'm thinking about buying another card because of the game bundles but I'm not sure if I should try SLI or get a single card. I'm not sure if a 600 Watt PSU is sufficient though.

edit: All the advice I've found varies. Some people say SLI is better but will generate more heat and power consumption. There's also a problem with microstuttering.

Kerpal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 30, 2013

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Awesome, got the Asus 780 for $605 shipped. If any Canadian goons are interested, pricematching Newegg's Asus card at MemoryExpress makes it $521 before taxes/shipping.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Rosoboronexport posted:

The aspect ratio seems to only affect widescreen resolutions -- At least running 1440x1080 results in horizontally stretched image unless the video is forced to 4:3 aspect ratio. I only tested it for a minute or so watching TF2 but it seemed to lag a bit when it had both manual and automatic recording running. I'll test it with other games later.

Now I've tested Shadowplay and it's pretty awesome. The lag I mentioned had little to do with Shadowplay and more about generally low FPS. There really isn't any noticeable frame drops at all even with lowly Geforce GTX 660. The aspect ratio can be fixed by opening the mp4 file with e.g. YAMB and changing the pixel aspect ratio (in my case to 3:4). Weird thing about the audio is that it needs to be set at stereo sound. When I had Creative CMSS on all the surround effects were mute.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Rosoboronexport posted:

Now I've tested Shadowplay and it's pretty awesome. The lag I mentioned had little to do with Shadowplay and more about generally low FPS. There really isn't any noticeable frame drops at all even with lowly Geforce GTX 660. The aspect ratio can be fixed by opening the mp4 file with e.g. YAMB and changing the pixel aspect ratio (in my case to 3:4). Weird thing about the audio is that it needs to be set at stereo sound. When I had Creative CMSS on all the surround effects were mute.

Thanks for the tip on YAMB, I was afraid I'd have to re-render in Vegas at the correct ratio or something. Hope they add 16:10 soon regardless.

Is it just me or does ShadowPlay not work with games running in windowed full screen? I only tried it with GW2 but couldn't get it to work unless I changed to full screen. I never tried just windowed mode tbh, only full screen windowed.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Been thinking about it, and I'm going to sock the money I had put aside for Project: Full Retard 'til Maxwell comes out. I want to see what they do with the integrated ARM stuff on-card. Scaled down I'm gonna "just" stick with my one 780 and maybe get one of the Asus G-Sync monitors when they're available. I'd rather be an early adopter of that tech and enjoy tear-free high-level graphics performance that will persist into the next generation etc., and then spend GPU dough when it makes sense, not Just Because. This is me being a good example, it's rare, very rare, don't expect it in the future :shobon:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

gently caress you traitor!

I am going with a 2nd 780 right after the holidays. Preferably a used one.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Agreed posted:

Been thinking about it, and I'm going to sock the money I had put aside for Project: Full Retard 'til Maxwell comes out. I want to see what they do with the integrated ARM stuff on-card. Scaled down I'm gonna "just" stick with my one 780 and maybe get one of the Asus G-Sync monitors when they're available. I'd rather be an early adopter of that tech and enjoy tear-free high-level graphics performance that will persist into the next generation etc., and then spend GPU dough when it makes sense, not Just Because. This is me being a good example, it's rare, very rare, don't expect it in the future :shobon:

I'm curious about this, because what I've been reading says Maxwell will start out on 28nm and not be that big of a performance jump. The 20nm cards aren't supposed to be out until late 2014, and I doubt you want to wait that long.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Animal posted:

gently caress you traitor!

I am going with a 2nd 780 right after the holidays. Preferably a used one.

Can't touch this :smaug:

Magic Underwear posted:

I'm curious about this, because what I've been reading says Maxwell will start out on 28nm and not be that big of a performance jump. The 20nm cards aren't supposed to be out until late 2014, and I doubt you want to wait that long.

I'm curious about it too, hence being willing to wait and see what it's for :)

I'll buy when I can get a 45%+ performance improvement in most games on a single GPU card. And I actually would be fine waiting that long, as long as a GTX 780 can still perform well at the resolutions I'm playing at (and here G-Sync gets awesome, since I have no actual objection to framerates in the 30-50 fps range, but stressing the card more to deliver vsync and multiple frames rendered ahead for buffering are inelegant solutions where we now will have a much more elegant one!)... Though on the topic of 28nm vs 20nm, I have my doubts that the planar node shrink is going to bring anything dramatic, performance-wise. It'll help but with the level of transistor density we're at now heat dissipation is going to become more of an issue (well, I mean, this is nothing novel, right, look at Intel's last three generations for nodes vs. architectural shifts).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Agreed posted:

You're openly discussing the purchase of a TN Panel based monitor, and you consider yourself a good example? I hate to imagine what you do the rest of the time.

edit: I just read this and it seems like a really lovely move from AMD:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/362545,is-amd-selling-out-its-users-in-order-to-compete-with-nvidias-geforce-experience.aspx

That's the decider for me, I'll be getting a gtx 780ti.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 31, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Lord Bude posted:

AMD bundling Raptr with its drivers now?!

Hurry up with the GPU improvements, Intel.

Pretty please?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

The Lord Bude posted:

You're openly discussing the purchase of a TN Panel based monitor, and you consider yourself a good example? I hate to imagine what you do the rest of the time.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/362545,is-amd-selling-out-its-users-in-order-to-compete-with-nvidias-geforce-experience.aspx

:doh: And here I was thinking that it'd been a while since AMD's had a bad idea.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

It's a dumb idea to tack on social networking stuff yes, but you can uncheck the option to install it. Just like I did with Geforce Experience. This social networking being on loving everything is not going away anytime soon unfortunately though.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:October 2013 hardware return rate statistics are out!:siren:

Every six months the French site Hardware.Fr publishes return rate statistics from an anonymous French merchant. I plan to post a thread about this shortly, but here are the latest videocard return rate statistics.

Interestingly, all manufacturers except Sapphire are roughly identical. Sapphire seems to be consistently turning in the lowest reliability, though they mention that this seems to have improved near the end of the period.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

The Lord Bude posted:

It is pretty stupid, but also optional.

Honestly I don't think the 780ti is going to be good value for money, even among high end cards. $700 for something that might not even match Titan, which in turn is already beat out by the $550 290x? Even if they obsolete Titan by making the 780ti faster, you're paying a $150 premium for what will likely amount to a few percent lead over the 290x.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Atreus posted:

I'm drat torn with these new driver updates whether or not to get Nvidia or AMD here. It seems like all the new SteamOS templates that Valve released specs for are saddled with Nvidia cards. My last experience with Linux and AMD/ATI drivers were terrible, has that improved?

Valve said that the SteamOS test boxes will have AMD cards eventually.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Magic Underwear posted:

Honestly I don't think the 780ti is going to be good value for money, even among high end cards. $700 for something that might not even match Titan, which in turn is already beat out by the $550 290x? Even if they obsolete Titan by making the 780ti faster, you're paying a $150 premium for what will likely amount to a few percent lead over the 290x.

No $700 card will be 'good value for money'. :rice:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

beejay posted:

It's a dumb idea to tack on social networking stuff yes, but you can uncheck the option to install it. Just like I did with Geforce Experience. This social networking being on loving everything is not going away anytime soon unfortunately though.

My understanding is you have to muck around in advanced install options to prevent raptr from installing. This is lovely practice and I make a point of boycotting companies that try to stealth install unwanted garbage wherever possible.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Magic Underwear posted:

I get the feeling that guy was never going to go AMD regardless of what they did.

The Lord Bude posted:

My understanding is you have to muck around in advanced install options to prevent raptr from installing. This is lovely practice and I make a point of boycotting companies that try to stealth install unwanted garbage wherever possible.

You have a choice between Express or Custom, pick Custom, uncheck the checkbox that says Raptr. Pretty much like any piece of software ever. Also see the aforementioned Geforce Experience.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't personally hate TN as a panel technology for this sort of thing at all. Modern TN panels that are quality-made do not suck and have way less hue and general angle issues compared to older TN technology. I'd prefer it in IPS too, but it's not a dealbreaker and I've intentionally used a big TN panel for some time now when I haven't had to have exact color because the complete lack of ghosting and surprising performance under stress-tests for TN technology have kept it useful to me. It's a Samsung unit and perhaps it's the hardware/software combo compensating for some inherent issues but regardless I quite like it.

And you've no need to imagine what I do the rest of the time, if anything I'm the worst case of "do as i say, not as I do" on the damned forum. Every year upgrading from highest end to highest end stuff, it's ridiculous and unjustifiable on any but the most tenuous grounds. Especially the graphics cards. Was easier when I was much, much more active in the field but I'm less so these days, so it becomes even less defensible.

At least this go-round, I'm opting to see how neat this new technology is - being able to escape the necessity of 16.7ms is pretty astounding, and worth more to me than the alternative of feeding less effective technology more money to try to brute-force my way to a constant high enough FPS that I never have framerate jitter from vsync. :)

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 31, 2013

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

The Lord Bude posted:

If the choice was up to me, I'd rather have a TN panel with very little lag and no stuttering and tearing, than an IPS that can have all those issues.

To be fair, IPS does have much better viewing angles and color reproduction though. It's just, to me, it would be hard to appreciate that if the media I'm observing is stuttering, lagging, and tearing.

Though luckily, sometime later, we might be able to choose both IPS and G-Sync as an option if Overlord Computer is to be believed.

Well, if you don't mind playing the Korean panel lottery, that is. :suspense:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

There will be non-TN g-sync panels, it's just a question of when.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127758

Ummm...

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Well the shipping is quite reasonable

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

A lot of companies use an absurdly high initial price when inputting data for an item they know will be a hot seller but don't have pricing data for yet. That way once the price is announced they only have to update one field and they can immediately start selling.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'm just glad that I'm apparently too blind to ever notice stuttering/tearing/etc while playing games. I guess the immersion factor of giant screens makes up for it.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Getting impatient as gently caress. Should I just pull the trigger on a 780 instead of waiting for an aftermarket cooled 290x? Someone tell me what I should do. :shepspends:

I'm running a GTX 480 and want a prettier BF4. I'm also considering upgrading my monitor to 1440p at some point.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Lord Bude posted:

A tickbox you can uncheck is a decider? I'm not a shill for either, but that seems like a reason that barely counts. Plenty of software comes with bullshit toolbars and other crap, but it's fine once you uncheck something.

gently caress, Java tries to install some extra poo poo along with it that you have to uncheck.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

HalloKitty posted:

gently caress, Java tries to install some extra poo poo along with it that you have to uncheck.
Probably belongs in the IT bitching thread, but god drat does that piss me off. One of the most common ways to get a virus is through Java exploits and these assholes have the gall to package a loving toolbar with every update? Asshats.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

HalloKitty posted:

A tickbox you can uncheck is a decider? I'm not a shill for either, but that seems like a reason that barely counts. Plenty of software comes with bullshit toolbars and other crap, but it's fine once you uncheck something.

Even though Oracle's practice of inserting ads in their updates is pretty scummy, from my perspective security updates to free software are not quite the same as (basically) required driver updates to properly operate a hardware product you purchased.

I did not know that updating my ATI drivers would install any additional software, and it's something I would prefer not to have. I'd rather not spend my money to add to the list of stuff I have to uncheck each and every update, which at current count is:

-Uncheck the bing toolbar option when downloading stuff from Microsoft
-Uncheck the McAfee toolbar option from Adobe flash updates
-Uncheck the Ask toolbar option from Java updates
-[new]Uncheck the Raptr option from AMD driver updates

There have been over 30 Java 7 updates in the last year or so, which is a whole lot of un-selecting, and that's just for Java. With that many updates, it's also easy to forget and just click 'express' on a given package.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I haven't so much as seen a Java/Flash installer at home for almost a year thanks to Ninite. Granted I also haven't seen a driver update in the same amount of time, since it looks like my 4870s will be carrying me well into the new year.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Again, how is the Raptr thing any different than Geforce Experience? Either you uncheck the box during install, or you just don't use that part of the software if you don't want to. Whether Raptr or Geforce Experience are "worse" than the other doesn't matter, if you are saying you are mad at a company for putting "extra" software into the installer, then I guess you are mad at both.

edit: And to be clear, I don't like either of the programs and I have unchecked the checkbox on both when installing. However, I think it's a little silly and fanboyish to pretend like AMD is bad for doing this but just letting nvidia slide.

beejay fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 31, 2013

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

beejay posted:

Again, how is the Raptr thing any different than Geforce Experience? Either you uncheck the box during install, or you just don't use that part of the software if you don't want to. Whether Raptr or Geforce Experience are "worse" than the other doesn't matter, if you are saying you are mad at a company for putting "extra" software into the installer, then I guess you are mad at both.

The GeForce experience is a standalone piece of software that you download, and acts as a centralized hub for setting your game settings to an Nvidia tested baseline, or for getting driver updates. It also provides Shadowplay functionality. It also has nothing to do with social media. To install it you have to download the installer from Nvidia and run it.

Raptr is a social media website that is basically like Facebook for gamers or Xfire and has all that wonderful social media functionality. AMD's implementation of profiling is being done through that, and raptr will be automatically installed through driver updates anytime you choose 'express' mode.

See for yourself:

Geforce Experience website:
http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience

Raptr website:
http://raptr.com/

And here's a quote from the article:

quote:

However, unlike GeForce Experience, which is a single purpose product designed to complement the companies graphics card drivers, the “AMD Gaming Evolved App powered by Raptr” is a customised version of the Raptr social networking tool for gamers.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Does this remind anyone else of ReBoot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d43r6iVgsc

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 31, 2013

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Rakthar posted:

The GeForce experience is a standalone piece of software that you download, and acts as a centralized hub for setting your game settings to an Nvidia tested baseline, or for getting driver updates. It also provides Shadowplay functionality. It also has nothing to do with social media. To install it you have to download the installer from Nvidia and run it.

Raptr is a social media website that is basically like Facebook for gamers or Xfire and has all that wonderful social media functionality. AMD's implementation of profiling is being done through that, and raptr will be automatically installed through driver updates anytime you choose 'express' mode.

See for yourself:

Geforce Experience website:
http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience

Raptr website:
http://raptr.com/

And here's a quote from the article:

I know what both pieces of software do, and talking about how one is better than the other in what is basically marketing terms is useless in this conversation. They are both "extra" software. Also, you are wrong, Geforce Experience is bundled with the drivers now and installs through the express install, just like Raptr.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

beejay posted:

I know what both pieces of software do, and talking about how one is better than the other in what is basically marketing terms is useless in this conversation. They are both "extra" software. Also, you are wrong, Geforce Experience is bundled with the drivers now and installs through the express install, just like Raptr.

I was not aware that Nvidia is now bundling the experience app in the drivers by default. This makes a lot of sense as to why AMD would feel the need to respond accordingly.

Unfortunately I disagree with your point about they are both "extra" software. One was purpose built by Nvidia, the other is a social media tie-in. I think saying they're both extra software is a simplistic way of looking at it, as the source and purpose of the software packages are very different. I also think it's fine if you don't care about Raptr at all, in which case I guess this doesn't impact you one bit.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Raptr does the game settings optimization thing too, and it has Twitch streaming functionality. All I'm saying is, you can't poo poo on one company or the other specifically for the fact they are bundling software with their drivers, because they both do it, and they both have the same solutions - either do a custom install and leave it out, or if you do install it and don't want to use it, then don't use it. That's why I'm saying it's a little fanboyish to say "Oh AMD is bundling something with their driver now, therefore they are bad and I will buy nvidia." No, they both do it.

Weighing the hardware and software against each other when deciding what to buy is totally the thing to do, but making it a moral thing just doesn't really fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Does ~Raptr by AMD~ automatically push your your data into the cloud? You have to opt-in into that, right?