Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The choice of returning guest seems odd....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I'm wrapping up a rewatch of Louie. I posted this on twitter but it bears repeating: If the "Late Show" episodes aren't considered classic episodes of TV in five years, something went terribly wrong.

I agree, but when I rewatched them those episodes seemed to be paced poorly; like maybe the story should have been edited together into two episodes instead. But that's nitpicking because other than the pacing it's a loving phenomenal story and the payoff at the end is pure gold.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Jin Ho returning is nice and since Lim Yo-Hwan is also a starcraft player he should have a nice alliance going.
And I only know Hong Chul as they guy in the elevator in Gangnam Style, but I guess he's the comic relief this season.

I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Edit: Genius Season 1 Spoiler: Is it really that odd that he is defending his title?

Eezee fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 30, 2013

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Eezee posted:

Edit: Genius Season 1 Spoiler: Is it really that odd that he is defending his title?

I think it's fine. He deserves to be back on anyway since he was almost always the one who pulled off some amazing poo poo to pull off a glorious victory. Counting cards, reading the tiny differences on the back of cards etc.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Hong Chul seems like a silly comedy relief idiot kinda guy. I'm pegging him as a Haha or Gwang Soo. I know literally nothing about the other guy though considering I really don't care about Starcraft. Jin Ho turned out to be great though so who knows?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Davincie posted:

I know literally nothing about the other guy though considering I really don't care about Starcraft. Jin Ho turned out to be great though so who knows?

He's a contender for the best Starcraft player ever and had a really big rivalry with Jin Ho back when they both played (and he was responsible for a few of those second place finishes Jin Ho was famous for). Should be interesting to see if there's any friction between them because of it.

I'm stoked as hell that The Genius is coming back. I marathoned season 1 recently and it was the most entertaining TV I've watched in a while.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 30, 2013

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The only problem with Jinho coming back is the chance that he'll obliterate the competition again. A second season of that wouldn't be particularly interesting so they really need to cast some strong opposition so that he doesn't walk it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

They should cast Jong Kook. He could probably win this thing and he's competitive as hell.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Holy poo poo Jinho AND The Emperor? :swoon: :allears: :gizz:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 31, 2013

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Rarity posted:

The only problem with Jinho coming back is the chance that he'll obliterate the competition again. A second season of that wouldn't be particularly interesting so they really need to cast some strong opposition so that he doesn't walk it.

They turned on Junseok in the first episode's deathmatch because he was perceived to be too good.

Jinho is going to be the one to beat and they all probably know that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cityinthesea posted:

They turned on Junseok in the first episode's deathmatch because he was perceived to be too good.

Jinho is going to be the one to beat and they all probably know that.
Jinho and Boxer are going to team up so that we get another epic showdown in the finals. :black101:

For analogies that non-Starcraft fans might understand, Jinho and Boxer are like Yankees/Red Sox, Michigan/Ohio State, Chamberlain/Churchill. This is going to be epic!!!

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 31, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I've been watching so many heist/crime movies lately since discovering HBOGO had like 8 of them up.

I'm watching Entrapment for the first time ever. Really looking forward to Cathrine Zeta Jones dipping beneath the lasers.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Always Sunny is a show I really like watching but I have the self restraint of a toddler and I keep binge watching it and to me it isn't a show you can do that with. I'll end up watching 10-15 episodes, get sick of it and then not watch it for a year. I'm only up to season 4 at this rate.

If I were smarter I'd watch 1-2 episodes a week and it'd probably be my favorite show.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 31, 2013

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I've been watching so many heist/crime movies lately since discovering HBOGO had like 8 of them up.

I'm watching Entrapment for the first time ever. Really looking forward to Cathrine Zeta Jones dipping beneath the lasers.

There was a period of like two years or something around the time I was in high school when I *think* it was TBS that basically played ads for the movie that consisted solely of about one and a half seconds of her dipping her bum beneath the lasers, plus maybe a screen or just a watermark or something that said when the movie would be played. Like, constantly. They were always advertising that movie with the same one and a half seconds. I'm confident I've seen clips of Catherine Zeta Jones dipping beneath the lasers more than two hundred times.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm randomly watching the first episode of Angel. I can't believe it's been almost 15 years since this first aired.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rarity posted:

I'm randomly watching the first episode of Angel. I can't believe it's been almost 15 years since this first aired.

You are watching Angel kill Sawyer from Lost?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

I can't remember, is it in 4:3 or 16:9?

I went on a detective show kick this week, I watched The Fall, Top of the Lake and Longmire. Top of the Lake and The Fall are interesting to compare as different views on feminist noir and Longmire is basically just ok, but the cast owns.

I know The Fall has a second season coming, but is Top of the Lake one-and-done?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Noh Hong Chul is in Genius s2? Awesome! He's really polarising but I think he's hilarious. I really recommend watching the two episodes of Infinite Challenge where he, Jae Suk and Ha-Ha go to NYC to perform Gangnam Style with Psy. It's really, really good.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

zoux posted:

I went on a detective show kick this week, I watched The Fall, Top of the Lake and Longmire. Top of the Lake and The Fall are interesting to compare as different views on feminist noir and Longmire is basically just ok, but the cast owns.

I know The Fall has a second season coming, but is Top of the Lake one-and-done?

Netflix has all the seasons in widescreen, but I vaguely remember the show not being framed for it until season 3 so you might see some flubs that weren't meant to be on screen.

Aphrodite posted:

I think Eliza Dushku was there in 4:3 too.

Buuuuurn

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 31, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

you might see some flubs that weren't meant to be on screen.

I think Eliza Dushku was there in 4:3 too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yayyy baseball is over!!!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Who won baseball?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The Returned starts in the US tonight (Sundance, I believe). It's loving fantastic (it will definitely be in my top 5 if we do that again this year) and makes for perfect Halloween viewing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Rarity posted:

Still my favorite Whedon show.

And I'm really interested in dipping into Top of the Lake. The Fall seems like another super dreary yet exploitative (superhero) serial killer show to me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who won baseball?

The Boston Red Socks.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Junkenstein posted:

The Returned starts in the US tonight (Sundance, I believe).

Is The Returned dubbed or subtitled?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Is The Returned dubbed or subtitled?

It was subtitled in the UK.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Baseball is the best, though the World Series this year was a hell-series of the two most hateable teams in baseball, so I'm kinda glad it's over.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Baseball is the best, though the World Series this year was a hell-series of the two most hateable teams in baseball, so I'm kinda glad it's over.

You're a Yankees fan

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

zoux posted:

The Boston Red Socks.

Don't they never ever win or is that a different team?

spoilers I don't follow sports very closely

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

You might be thinking of the Cubs. The Red Sox used to be the team that never won but this is their 3rd world series in 10 years.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Crowbear posted:

You might be thinking of the Cubs. The Red Sox used to be the team that never won but this is their 3rd world series in 10 years.

Gotcha.

I've got an 18-hour bus ride ahead of me tonight, and there are a bunch of stops/transfers so I won't get a full night's sleep. I think I'm going to get my hands on some American Horror Story to celebrate Halloween since I'm not in a position to actually do Halloween things tonight :(

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Occupation posted:

You're a Yankees fan

I dunno. Both of those teams are pretty loving hate-able.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
So, Fred Durst is developing an autobiographical drama for the CW.

Yes, you read that correctly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I'm using my yearly "oh for gently caress's sake" on this news.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I keep trying to read that combination of words but halfway through something snaps in my brain and I go blind for a couple of seconds.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You're thinking of the Cubs but the Sox had an 86 year period of no WS wins.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Who won baseball?

Everybody won! Because it's loving over for a few glorious months.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That CBS/Time Warner slapfight cost TWC 300k subs:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

zoux posted:

I bought the original DVD sets and the packaging for season one (and maybe season two) claims the discs are in 4:3 but they're actually 16:9. The DVDs have been rereleased a couple of times so maybe the packaging error was corrected later. I wouldn't be surprised if they shot the show in 4:3 and then removed the pillarboxes like they did with the European versions of Buffy.

Buffy and Angel need to be on blu-ray, dammit. :(

• Locked thread