Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It sounds like you'd be YOTJing to repeat what you've done for your current company all over again except possibly with less support this time around. Is that just me being cynical or is there something else to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

evol262 posted:

"iptables -I" inserts in the beginning. "iptables -A" appends to the end. You get the option. And you can insert at an arbitrary line if you really need to (you probably don't). "service iptables save" will dump rules in /etc/sysconfig/iptables (and somewhere in /etc on debian) which does nothing but write rules to a file. iptables-restore executes them. You can check iptables-save and iptables-restore (which should be plain-jane scripts, but depends on your distro) to see where it sticks them, then edit that file willy-nilly if you don't want to muck with adding rules one by one...

This is what I get for mindlessly copy-pasting commands from the install guide :downs:

I'll chock it up as a learning experience... Thanks again for your help.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW
I'm with Caged on this one; any job interview where the topic is "we need someone to come in and fix this" is basically an invitation to get burned out in a few months.

Last year I turned down a job offer with a big fat raise, very close to home, and loaded with perks. My wife was urging me to go for it but they're a Citrix shop and both their network layout and print infrastructure were utter poo poo. I'd have gotten 3 weeks into that job, "Fix it" budget or not, and wished for death.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Guesticles posted:

So before I accept an offer, I'm going to want to make sure the budget exists to refresh their desktop hardware, and update their microsoft licensing. Does anyone any experience with this sort of thing? They have an IT consultant running things (who will be playing sort of CITO and covering my time off going forward) and from what he says and the impressions I got during the imperson interviews they're interested in getting their house in order.

There is nothing wrong with asking more details about the project before you sign.

Who are the principles driving this effort? Is it the CFO/CEO/CIO or just some random Manager? If it's a manager, does he have the full support of the C-type?

What is the budget for this project? Has money been set aside for this refresh or will it need to be fought for?

What does this position look like if there is no funding for he refresh? What are the expectations for the daily role if there's bandaids and duct tape to work with?

You will probably not get hard numbers out of these people at this stage. What you are looking for is "soft responses" from the panel. Do they shuck and jive? Do they seem like they have a solid plan with solid funding and C-level sponsorship?

Good luck!

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo that pisses me off: other devs.

Around 3:30pm, my team's shared dev box stopped responding over SSH. Me and the other sysadmin go down into the datacenter, hook up console. A bunch of Redis instances are spewing kernel errors and load is north of 35. top takes forever to start so we just go gently caress it, powercycle the box and send out jabber and email saying "oops, machine fell over, we kicked it, sorry"

At 5pm, I'm putting on my coat, put my laptop in my bag and having the general I'm Heading Out look. A dev then pipes up "Hey luminalflux, I can't run the tests any more after you rebooted, do you know why? Did you do anything?"

Jesus gently caress, you sit kitty-corner from me at our group of tables, I haven't even had my headphones on, evident due to me and the other admin discussing stuff IRL, and you choose to wait until I'm just about out the door to tell me that the reboot might have screwed up you environment?!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

luminalflux posted:

Jesus gently caress, you sit kitty-corner from me at our group of tables, I haven't even had my headphones on, evident due to me and the other admin discussing stuff IRL, and you choose to wait until I'm just about out the door to tell me that the reboot might have screwed up you environment?!

These are probably the same devs who believe that AWS and "the cloud" will obviate the need for sysadmins and let devs rule the world.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

evol262 posted:

These are probably the same devs who believe that AWS and "the cloud" will obviate the need for sysadmins and let devs rule the world.

If only EBS performance (and specifically Postgres on EBS) wasn't poo poo I might consider AWS.

This shop is about as devops as you come - devs have root on all servers (and have access to vCenter), are in the on-call rotation, and do new releases of the apps themselves. I'm trying to get them to provision servers but that's not working out just yet.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

The Third Man posted:

This is what I get for mindlessly copy-pasting commands from the install guide :downs:

I'll chock it up as a learning experience... Thanks again for your help.

The best thing to take away from this is gently caress iptables. As long as you have your security groups setup correctly, you really should not need to run a software firewall.

luminalflux posted:

If only EBS performance (and specifically Postgres on EBS) wasn't poo poo I might consider AWS.

This shop is about as devops as you come - devs have root on all servers (and have access to vCenter), are in the on-call rotation, and do new releases of the apps themselves. I'm trying to get them to provision servers but that's not working out just yet.

Yea, trying to run a DB on a ec2 instance is terrible. That is the reason they have RDS offering now, but that is still only oracle/mysql/MSSQL only. I think they are going to start offering postgres eventually, but god knows when. You could probably get away with running postgres on one of the super huge EBS optimized instances, but they cost so much its really not worth it.

As much as I love AWS, its not the solution for everything and you really need to architect everything around its limitations. Granted, I mostly love running everything at my current job out of AWS since it means no datacenter to deal with.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Caged posted:

It sounds like you'd be YOTJing to repeat what you've done for your current company all over again except possibly with less support this time around. Is that just me being cynical or is there something else to it?

In the short term, yes. In the long term, I've almost maxed out my current job. I'm not part of my employer's Central IT group. Central IT runs the network and email, I take care of my department's computers and servers. I've got my current place running smoothly, and even though I like the place, I'm going to need to YOTJ out eventually if I want to advance. There has been some shake up at my current employer that I'm not 100% sure I'll be immune to, so there is that to consider as well. The YOTJ would also fill in a hole in resume, which is no one has given me money to run an exchange server yet.

There are other things to consider as well, but during my tour of the offices, I saw not a single personal printer.

Agrikk posted:

There is nothing wrong with asking more details about the project before you sign.
[...]

You will probably not get hard numbers out of these people at this stage. What you are looking for is "soft responses" from the panel. Do they shuck and jive? Do they seem like they have a solid plan with solid funding and C-level sponsorship?

Good luck!

I told the consultant during my tech interview, and the head of the YOTJ company during the "do you have any questions?" stage of the face to face, that before I accepted any offers I will want to make sure they've got a proper budget set aside (and that I didn't expect them to have or tell me hard numbers unless we got there). However I do recall one of the people in this thread (or maybe the original) saying they YOTJ'ed, had a budget all approved and good to go, then had it yanked out from under them several months in.

Those are good tips, thanks.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I've found my hell, it's setting up new print servers.

FTFY

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Hmmmm. Just got a wonderful evil idea for an "optical disc" that just produces odor when heated...

Stinkray?

Don't give them ideas, or before you know it we'll have "rental" type discs that start to pong if you've had them too long.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I can't believe that I'm having to help one of my co-workers enable Remote Desktop on a Windows 7 system. He's the highest paid tech and is the 'Systems Administrator'.

I'm also having to explain to the new guy why the Dell OEM Windows 7 installation doesn't activate on this old 755 that was licensed for Vista. I'm sure a BIOS update may update it to SLP 2.1, which may allow it to activate, but the fact of the matter is, that system isn't licensed for Windows 7 and we don't have any available licenses, so he hasn't any business putting 7 on it to begin with. Being that this guy refuses to listen to anything I've said the entire time I'm here, I'm now left to wonder how many other pieces of software that he's installed without bothering to make sure we have licenses.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

GargleBlaster posted:

Stinkray?

Don't give them ideas, or before you know it we'll have "rental" type discs that start to pong if you've had them too long.

Wasn't that what those DivX DVDs were supposed to do back when they existed?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Kyrosiris posted:

DIVX - DivX is an unrelated codec.

I know. Way too similar.

What an incredibly wasteful idea. But then, we toss masses of packaging that holds small items all the time. Sometimes a pallet of packaging for a tiny item as some no doubt have had the experience of.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 31, 2013

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Third Man posted:

Pretty much every article, blog, support page for iptables is terrible. Least worst so far has been Arch Wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Simple_Stateful_Firewall

Complete failure to describe forwarding rules well though.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

DIVX was a permanent rental system where the players would phone home to check you still had a valid license for the disc, there was a company that developed a replacement data layer for DVDs that would rot after 48 hours. The whole thing was canned when it was pointed out what a horrific environmental impact the things would have (as the outer plastic wouldn't rot, just the data layer, so they'd all be thrown away after one play, useless)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm trying to troubleshoot an SSL and the KB pages from my SSL provider are not using a trusted certificate.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MrMoo posted:

Pretty much every article, blog, support page for iptables is terrible. Least worst so far has been Arch Wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Simple_Stateful_Firewall

Complete failure to describe forwarding rules well though.

Like basically everything else Arch Linux, this is garbage. This is reasonably good (and the flowchart of default tables helps). The RHEL documentation is also very thorough, much as some parts are glorified manpage.

That Arch wiki page is ok for setting up a firewall, but totally useless for understanding what iptables does, how it does it, and how the scripts/cli work.

Salt Fish posted:

I'm trying to troubleshoot an SSL and the KB pages from my SSL provider are not using a trusted certificate.

What's wrong with SSL? What are you trying to do?

evol262 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 31, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

Nobody's claiming that it will obviate the need for sysadmins the globe over, but it does change the dynamics quite a bit, especially within small orgs using PaaS deliberately so they don't have to focus on systems management.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

evol262 posted:

Like basically everything else Arch Linux, this is garbage.

Arch Linux has the best documentation of any linux distribution. It just requires an understanding.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Misogynist posted:

Nobody's claiming that it will obviate the need for sysadmins the globe over, but it does change the dynamics quite a bit, especially within small orgs using PaaS deliberately so they don't have to focus on systems management.
It definitely changes the dynamics of it, and my statement was a little hyperbolic. There seems to be (especially in the startup space) a push towards developer-focused shops because the logistics of AWS make spinning up additional infrastructure extremely easy, and configuration management tools make it easy to keep an environment in sync. Larger shops and more experienced devs aren't making the argument, but there's a segment of the under 30 crowd and HackerNews crowd which doesn't seem to understand what sysadmins actually do, and why they're necessary in a shop that does nothing but spin up AWS Redis+nginx+cool_javascript_framework instances.

Sinestro posted:

Arch Linux has the best documentation of any linux distribution. It just requires an understanding.

This is objectively untrue. For a few things, the Arch wiki is superb. Mostly, the Arch documentation is the Arch wiki, and it's totally unexplained config files and random poo poo to paste into the terminal so you "understand". Thanks for the elitism, though.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I'm going to be controversial and give some love for printers. Our company recently changed from using HP to Ricoh. Now I have absolutely no idea how painful they were or weren't to set up as I have no involvement in that, but holy crap are they orders of magnitude faster than the old HPs and the group who set them up deserves medals, raises and general congratulations.

With both the old and new setup we have universal printing (print to one queue, swipe access card on any printer to collect) and something about this in combination with PDFs on the HP printers resulted in about 2ppm if you were lucky. What the Ricohs manage by comparison is like going from travel by horse to travel by Concorde.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

rolleyes posted:

I'm going to be controversial and give some love for printers. Our company recently changed from using HP to Ricoh. Now I have absolutely no idea how painful they were or weren't to set up as I have no involvement in that, but holy crap are they orders of magnitude faster than the old HPs and the group who set them up deserves medals, raises and general congratulations.

With both the old and new setup we have universal printing (print to one queue, swipe access card on any printer to collect) and something about this in combination with PDFs on the HP printers resulted in about 2ppm if you were lucky. What the Ricohs manage by comparison is like going from travel by horse to travel by Concorde.

Printers are fine as long as you aren't using lovely personal printers. When you have the nice MFPs from Ricoh etc with service contracts printers are great. I supported 20+ of these Ricoh MFPs, rare was the day where the printer was the cause if it not working (aside from obvious hardware faults that we could invoke our service contract for), more often it had to do with server2003/2008 causing issues and something needing restarted etc.

Most of the printer hate is because of the personal printers people have to support

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Yeah personal printers are verboten here; even the company president doesn't have one.

I don't know what in particular was wrong with the old HP printers or the universal printing setup which caused them to be so slow, all I know is this is printing heaven by comparison.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

MF_James posted:

Most of the printer hate is because of the personal printers people have to support
And the fact that most people that insist on having a personal printer also insist on using it to print every single goddamned document they create which is usually more than the printer is designed to handle. As a corollary, this is exacerbated by the fact that people that insist on persona printers so they can print all their personal poo poo are usually also old and started their careers before the personal computer revolution and thus prefer paper for their poo poo because they're dinosaurs that haven't been hit by a meteor yet, or are lawyers and the court systems have not settled on PDF as an acceptable document type and still insist on analog faxes (wait, these guys are dinosaurs too!) and thus must print everything but it's "too sensitive" for a shared printer, even one with a secure print function like PIN or swipe-card access.

Hence, "gently caress printers" becomes a catch-all meme for us.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
ESPECIALLY when there's a perfectly fine commercial grade high-output COLOR MFP not 20 steps away from the bloody room/Cube/Office/Workstation

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm dealing with a President that demanded a color laser in his office even though there's a workgroup color laser on his assistant's desk four feet away. FOUR. He doesn't want to get his print jobs from there, she hates him so she doesn't want to bring them to him.

The only space in his office is very small so I got him a Samsung that turned out to be a piece of poo poo. Now I have to get him an HP workgroup color laser and a table big enough to hold it.

LooseLeafTea
Oct 17, 2012

Well, what do you say?
Oooh, ooh, are we doing gently caress printers today? Cos gently caress printers. Especially printers that die just over a month after the warranty ends, in the busiest shop in the company, in one of the busiest weeks of the year. And all of the printers in my building are personal printers pretty much - working in a linked set of Victorian shopfronts and basements with tiny twisty stairwells and gently caress all space for anything means no proper MFPs for me, even though the boss is a sensible chap and would happily fund it.
At least there's only one throwback still hanging on to his bloody inkjet...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

ESPECIALLY when there's a perfectly fine commercial grade high-output COLOR MFP not 20 steps away from the bloody room/Cube/Office/Workstation

But it's so far and I'm busy and it's not secure and look it's affecting production so I really just need a personal one :(

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
One of you expressed concern for my livelihood (thanks), so I thought I'd let y'all know that rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

I guess I've been trying to stay positive and considering how much my situation sucks, I didn't want to talk about it and a lot of y'all are in lovely situations, too, so...thought it would being me down to hang in here. I guess that's sort of a selfish attitude, though, sorry.

On the up side, I'm now in the running for a full-time, permanent position at Google. They apparently got their poo poo together and made some changes, which I can neither confirm nor deny were due to the federal discrimination charges a possible associate of mine may have successfully pursued against them.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Over the summer almost every single one of our inkjets' print heads gummed up (due to low use because I work for a school, I guess :shrug:).

Things that are pissing me off today: someone has managed to delete a ~200gb folder full of student and teacher work for our entire junior high. Thankfully, we have shadow copies enabled but this is going to take most of the day to restore.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Whoah, did an IT person gently caress up or does an end user have way too many permissions to that folder?

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

I haven't done any investigation yet but all the students can only read/write. The teachers have modify so it's possible that they deleted it and were too embarrassed to say anything. Our IT team is only 5 people and two of them work at other campuses so I guess it's possible that one of the other two had messed up somewhere.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm dealing with a President that demanded a color laser in his office even though there's a workgroup color laser on his assistant's desk four feet away. FOUR. He doesn't want to get his print jobs from there, she hates him so she doesn't want to bring them to him.

The only space in his office is very small so I got him a Samsung that turned out to be a piece of poo poo. Now I have to get him an HP workgroup color laser and a table big enough to hold it.

Does he do a lot of printing? If not, we've good luck with Brother printers for the smaller laser printers. We have a couple of directors that have Brother Color lasers and we haven't heard a peep out of them since we set them up 2+ years ago.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Helushune posted:

I haven't done any investigation yet but all the students can only read/write. The teachers have modify so it's possible that they deleted it and were too embarrassed to say anything. Our IT team is only 5 people and two of them work at other campuses so I guess it's possible that one of the other two had messed up somewhere.

Get auditing enabled on those shares. Even if you aren't allowed to call people on deleting stuff accidentally it at least gives you a bit of a lead in tracking down if it's some dodgy software wiping things out.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

rolleyes posted:

We have medium and large-ish Ricoh MFPs at all our sites so I give you my condolences. The printers themselves are mostly fine I guess but dealing with Ricoh service and contracts and accounting people is a gigantic clusterfuck and they do not give two shits about you.

And if you ever have a need to print labels on one of your Ricohs, just don't. Really, don't.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

TWBalls posted:

Does he do a lot of printing? If not, we've good luck with Brother printers for the smaller laser printers. We have a couple of directors that have Brother Color lasers and we haven't heard a peep out of them since we set them up 2+ years ago.

I had bad experiences with Brother so I'm just getting a big HP and hope that's the end of it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

It definitely changes the dynamics of it, and my statement was a little hyperbolic. There seems to be (especially in the startup space) a push towards developer-focused shops because the logistics of AWS make spinning up additional infrastructure extremely easy, and configuration management tools make it easy to keep an environment in sync. Larger shops and more experienced devs aren't making the argument, but there's a segment of the under 30 crowd and HackerNews crowd which doesn't seem to understand what sysadmins actually do, and why they're necessary in a shop that does nothing but spin up AWS Redis+nginx+cool_javascript_framework instances.
It's not just that it makes spinning up additional infrastructure really easy. It's that it makes hiring system administrators, and coordinating changes between dedicated sysadmins and developers, completely unnecessary. The shift to IaaS/PaaS is like when banking went online, and you could check balances and move money between accounts yourself instead of having to call somebody to do it for you.

I've been a sysadmin for almost 12 years, and I'm not sure I understand and can justify what we do anymore in the majority of shops. Well-run app deployment environments should run themselves without needing people to babysit stupid poo poo like log rotation.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Misogynist posted:

I've been a sysadmin for almost 12 years, and I'm not sure I understand and can justify what we do anymore in the majority of shops. Well-run app deployment environments should run themselves without needing people to babysit stupid poo poo like log rotation.
Having recently moved from systems admin/engineering into development, it's hard to argue with the idea that change management is a dying process, but I can't help but believe that there's a lot more tradecraft than babysitting logrotate and cronjobs. Particularly in web shops, there's an argument for spinning up more frontend instances which proxy back to your actual app servers when performance problems come up, but AWS isn't that cheap in the long run, and scaling out/up rather than looking more closely at your infrastructure turns you into Twitter 5 years ago.

I think there's a place for a devops-y hybrid developer/sysadmin position for web shops, but it still seems that any shops which grows large enough is eventually going to want/need at least part time database people, infrastructure (DNS/email/etc) people, et al. You can dump all this into Route53 (even if somebody still has to understand DNS to use it), Google Apps, O365, or some other service "out there", but we're not quite there yet for the majority of shops, to say nothing of internal IT operations at Fortune 500s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Why is msi an unpopular installer?