Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Wizard of Smart posted:

Exactly. I mean, I understand why it would be a lengthy pull - who wants to accidentally refresh while trying to scroll? - but on this phone it really sucks.

That setting is in the Beta if you want to try that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In the beta I set it to something like 20% because I'm on a note 10.1 and having to pull like six inches down with one hand is terrible.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Every time I try to mark a post as "last read" using the Awful app on my Xoom tablet the app turns itself off and I go back to my home screen.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I have posts per page set to 10 in this app (mainly so I can view the gif thread without waiting 10 minutes for each page to load). However I noticed that when I post a reply to a thread, after the post is made it tries to load the last page but just shows a blank screen. The page counter shows something like "page 4x of x"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Completely unrelated to the app, but why has the G+ page been occasionally claiming there are new posts?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Regrettably, I can confirm that the pink bar properly displays when you're probated. There's a bit of a thing where it'll cover the top bookmark, but once you scroll that fixes itself. This is also a case where the app works better than the forum - the app tells you in local time when you get off probation, while the site gives you the time in CST.

(I do not intend to find out what happens when you're banned, sorry.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I've found that if the last page I had loaded in the app was the bookmarks page, the next time I open it, pull-to-refresh won't work until I manually refresh the page from the menu. Other than that, the app is awesome.

I'm on a Kindle Fire HD, rooted, with the Kindle version of ICS.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I continue to have problems with my galaxy nexus and occasionally my nook HD+.

1) most common is images randomly not loading when not on WiFi. It is completely random whether they will load, and I have made sure the "load images on WiFi only" option is off.

2) sometimes the app will stop using any CSS to display posts. Sometimes restarting the app fixes it, sometimes clearing the cache fixes it, but most times it requires clearing the app data. Changing the theme does change the background color so some css is still being used, but posts are displayed without it (posted a picture of this earlier in the thread). This happens on both devices.

3) Sometimes after I've been browsing for a while when I load a thread it acts like it is loading but displays a blank screen with the appropriate page numbers. It will then do this to all threads until I clear app data.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

How do I change the font to be a bit darker? On my 2014 note 10.1 the font in the threads is rather grayish. I'd like it to be darker. Is that a thing that can happen that I haven't found in the settings?

Edit: I'd be fine making my own css for it if that would be best.

Edit 2: I made my own css and it works great! I just changed the color in article to #000 and that works great. I also made the username bold, but in a not so great way. I added font-weight:bolder; to header {} and put font-weight:normal; into the block with italic font style for the regdate etc so that it wouldn't inherit it, but the better way to do that would be to just make it for the specific item of the username. Unfortunately I can't figure out for the life of me what that is. I've also made a few other minor cosmetic changes (namely line-height: 145%; which makes it a lot easier to read on the tablet, and un-italicizing the post date/time, as I didn't like that). I can upload it if anyone wants, I suppose. I would like to know how to just bold the username of the post header, though.

ssb fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 30, 2013

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I noticed that the Android 4.4 documentation says there's a new implementation of WebView based on Chromium. Is that going to break everything?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

anthonypants posted:

I noticed that the Android 4.4 documentation says there's a new implementation of WebView based on Chromium. Is that going to break everything?

I doubt it and expect the opposite to be honest. But we'll know once 4.4 hits the first devices with Awful.

And while I'm in here, if a few people with different resolutions and dpi could post screenshots of what the results of a Google Play app search for Awful look like, that'd be great. For example, here's the N4's 720p version:

I'm curious how the different dpis react.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 31, 2013

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hoping it makes the app as smooth as Chrome is on my N10.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Sereri posted:

I doubt it and expect the opposite to be honest. But we'll know once 4.4 hits the first devices with Awful.

And while I'm in here, if a few people with different resolutions and dpi could post screenshots of what the results of a Google Play app search for Awful look like, that'd be great. For example, here's the N4's 720p version:

I'm curious how the different dpis react.
This is on my US Note 3 (1080p):

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Here's from my Nexus 7:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Here's a GNex

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
hdpi

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Nexus 10, both ways:

Haha, the bottom row in the vertical orientation is a series of "Bad Girl" apps.
Awful is right. Further down, there's "Bad Boy Tool Extreme" for the fellas.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

That is a lot of green bug eyed creatures.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
HTC One (1080 x 1920)

e: Awful Scratching sounds like a terrible app.

WienerDog fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 1, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Just submitted a crash report which came after that broken-CSS bug where everything but quoted usernames was rendered in black.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So I have the most minor nitpick of all time: can the pop-up that you get from long pressing on a thread have either "bookmark" or "unbookmark" instead of "toggle bookmark"? At least on the bookmark view itself. When you're in a thread and use the arrow, you get bookmark/unbookmark.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it something with minus itself or with the way Awful parses image links that cause images hosted on minus to just show up as question mark blocks?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

hooah posted:

Is it something with minus itself or with the way Awful parses image links that cause images hosted on minus to just show up as question mark blocks?

Indeed it is.

pokeyman posted:

The issue is they redirect a straight up request for the image to an HTML page with the image, some stats, and all that poo poo. They whitelist SA though, for whatever reason. I actually sent Minus an email first, but I never heard back.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Has anyone looked into moving the project to building with Gradle/AS?

I was thinking of looking into implementing some 4.4 APIs/play around but thought it might make sense to set the project up "The Gradle Way" before getting started.

Would this be a welcome change?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Is there a plan in the works to bring about some kind of app related notification when a new PM is received? That would be nice. Not a priority really, but there ya go.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A problem that I've mentioned before that seems to be getting worse is that sometimes the thread view just stops accepting touches. I can still scroll but expanding the three dot menu or clicking on a link in a post just doesn't do anything.

Turning the screen off and on generally solves the problem but it's getting frequent and it's definitely annoying.

Wizard of Smart posted:

Is there a plan in the works to bring about some kind of app related notification when a new PM is received? That would be nice. Not a priority really, but there ya go.
There's no real way of doing it that isn't as easy as just allowing the email that the forums send to be your alert.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Glimm posted:

Has anyone looked into moving the project to building with Gradle/AS?

I was thinking of looking into implementing some 4.4 APIs/play around but thought it might make sense to set the project up "The Gradle Way" before getting started.

Would this be a welcome change?

Sure, as long as everything works I don't see why not. Any contributions are appreciated :)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

LastInLine posted:

There's no real way of doing it that isn't as easy as just allowing the email that the forums send to be your alert.

Ah well. Just thought I'd ask!

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Posting from my TF700 to say that this app is easily one of the better goon projects :)

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Sent the horrendously large pull request for transitioning to Gradle.

Also I've been playing with immersive mode on my N7, I just have it automatically going into full immersive mode when loading an individual thread. I think it looks/works great! This is probably something we'd like to add as an option?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Glimm posted:

Sent the horrendously large pull request for transitioning to Gradle.

Also I've been playing with immersive mode on my N7, I just have it automatically going into full immersive mode when loading an individual thread. I think it looks/works great! This is probably something we'd like to add as an option?

Beta fixes this I think

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

I love this app and use it daily. I'm addicted. But I am also running into this very annoying problem on my up-to-date Nexus 10:

Khisanth Magus posted:

2) sometimes the app will stop using any CSS to display posts. Sometimes restarting the app fixes it, sometimes clearing the cache fixes it, but most times it requires clearing the app data. Changing the theme does change the background color so some css is still being used, but posts are displayed without it (posted a picture of this earlier in the thread). This happens on both devices.

It makes threads very difficult to read :( I haven't seen a fix in this thread, sorry if I missed it.

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.
Anyone get stuck in an infinite refresh in the yospos catte thread? It'll also randomly jump back to the last read post, not always but sometimes.

Edit: I've tried every setting related to images, since it seems to be related to them. Nothing seems to work. I've let it load for 5+ minutes but it doesn't seem to matter. All the images are loaded but it continues to load something, as the loading bar repeatedly pushes and then releases the thread.

Double edit: disabling embedded videos solved it...even though im pretty sure it did it on pages without* YouTube vids.

Bicycle SexFucker fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 5, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting that too. Infinite refresh loop on any page with a YouTube video.

N5 on 4.4 so maybe Chromium WebView related.

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011
I'm having an issue with the app on 4.4, on my N5. Emoticons aren't showing up, instead there is just a blank square. I'm using the latest market version, and I've cleared the cache and data. Default settings. It still works fine on my other devices. No other issues that I've noticed.

It's not a big deal, just slightly annoying. Thanks for any help, and in general for a very useful app.

Edit : also just noticed that some avatars aren't showing up, including the stupid newbie one. Others are fine, and again they all show up on my other devices. I have a slight suspicion that it could be network related though, so I'm going to do another quick test.

E2: no luck. Tried it on both 3g, and wifi with custom dns (my ISP default is often shockingly poor and has caused similar issues in the past, so I usually use Google DNS, but hadn't set it up on the new phone yet. Doesn't seem to make a difference in this case). Deleted data both times, and even did a full reinstall once. No change.

londonmoose fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 5, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like I have both of those issues too (N5).

Also confirming that disabling embedded YouTube fixes the refresh issue.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm not seeing the avatar or emoticon issue on 4.4. I didn't attempt to recreate the refresh issue, I just went ahead and disabled embedded YouTube.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

So much for everything should be fine. I suspect the problem is that the new webview handles custom/relative urls differently. I'll try to patch this later today.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Sereri posted:

So much for everything should be fine. I suspect the problem is that the new webview handles custom/relative urls differently. I'll try to patch this later today.

Is the new WebView going to make gifs not be such a battery drain in 4.4 or is that more of a systemic android thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Is the new WebView going to make gifs not be such a battery drain in 4.4 or is that more of a systemic android thing?

I kinda hope so but unless people try it we won't know.