Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Grim Up North posted:

Does ~Raptr by AMD~ automatically push your your data into the cloud? You have to opt-in into that, right?
You do.

Of course I installed it just to see if the streaming stuff would work and as soon as I hit the 'stream' button the program crashed.

I'll probably uninstall it at some point, most likely after a reboot when I realize it's even installed at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
gently caress it... I'm gonna go to Fry's and buy a 780. Is the EVGA FTW edition or the Asus card "better"? I know EVGA has that step-up program so that's definitely a plus.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

nVidia's Greenlight program should ensure that they're all good, but in this particular case you have two well known high quality manufacturers. EVGA would be my choice, but that's based on a bit of brand loyalty after using them for so long and having no issues with their customer service if I needed it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

goobernoodles posted:

Getting impatient as gently caress. Should I just pull the trigger on a 780 instead of waiting for an aftermarket cooled 290x? Someone tell me what I should do. :shepspends:

I'm running a GTX 480 and want a prettier BF4. I'm also considering upgrading my monitor to 1440p at some point.

If you have no plans to upgrade to multimonitor, the 780 is probably the better deal with the 3 games and price cut. I -almost- bought a classified, but then Newegg ran the price up to 699 and I managed to get ahold of a 290x.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

veedubfreak posted:

If you have no plans to upgrade to multimonitor, the 780 is probably the better deal with the 3 games and price cut. I -almost- bought a classified, but then Newegg ran the price up to 699 and I managed to get ahold of a 290x.
I have no desire to do a multi-monitor gaming setup. I run a 2nd monitor for looking at vent and temps and whatnot, but it's not for gaming. Most I'll do is perhaps upgrade my 28" 1200p to a 1440p.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Krailor posted:

A lot of companies use an absurdly high initial price when inputting data for an item they know will be a hot seller but don't have pricing data for yet. That way once the price is announced they only have to update one field and they can immediately start selling.
Why wouldn't you just list it as out of stock?

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai
Well, I got my 780 in today. In pure excitement and relief, I plugged it in, installed the drivers, and enjoyed THE loving DISPLAY ISSUES I HAD BEFORE AGAIN.

gg NVIDIA. :argh:

Needless to say, I requested a replacement RMA to see if it's maybe the GPU itself and not the drivers. One reason why I think it may be the GPU is that I once logged in to strange graphical artifacts and color flashing.

If the replacement does the same thing, then I have no loving idea what the problem is. Any of you guys have any ideas what it might be?

The only things I can think of at this point are my motherboard or my PSU, both of which are relatively new.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Monitor or its cable, perhaps? Does it display perfectly with other sources/settings?

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003
Your previous card and the 780 are passing the same artifacts? If so I wouldn't waste time with another card to just RMA because it most likely is something other than the card.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rahu X posted:

Well, I got my 780 in today. In pure excitement and relief, I plugged it in, installed the drivers, and enjoyed THE loving DISPLAY ISSUES I HAD BEFORE AGAIN.

gg NVIDIA. :argh:

Needless to say, I requested a replacement RMA to see if it's maybe the GPU itself and not the drivers. One reason why I think it may be the GPU is that I once logged in to strange graphical artifacts and color flashing.

If the replacement does the same thing, then I have no loving idea what the problem is. Any of you guys have any ideas what it might be?

The only things I can think of at this point are my motherboard or my PSU, both of which are relatively new.

Yea, that absolutely sounds like it's not the GPU if you got the same thing from two different cards. Can you take a pic of the actual corruption and artifacting on the screen and post it? Some artifacts are more obviously cable related vs the memory corruption style.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Can you Printscreen it? If the corruption shows up in the printscreen, then the error is making it through to the framebuffer and it's system-side. If not, the problem is somewhere between the monitor cable and your eyeballs.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So my good old 5870 is slowly dying. BSODs and vertical lines popup temporarily at times when I am playing games. Thinking of swapping from AMD and going with Nvidia for the frist time. The 770 GTX is looking mighty fine and I've buying the card through a buddy's company so it is much cheaper (A lot cheaper since Sweden is expensive as gently caress) and another friend is willing to buy my dying GPU for his test rig. Shame my GPU is acting up as soon as I decide to buy a fancy electric guitar among other things. Welp. :saddowns:

So anyone who has a 770 here? And what is the Nvidia 770s, AMD equivalent? There are so many models and numbers everywhere it gets confusing.

goobernoodles posted:

gently caress it... I'm gonna go to Fry's and buy a 780. Is the EVGA FTW edition or the Asus card "better"? I know EVGA has that step-up program so that's definitely a plus.

Aw man. I miss Fry's. That's where I bought my 5870 when I was on vacation in the US. Relatives bought clothes and a ton of other things. I just went and bought a GPU. Going in there was like entering heaven. The size and sheer number of stuff available is huge compared to Sweden and the pirces.. my god the prices. It was as if everything was on a minimum 30% off sale, permanently.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 1, 2013

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Torabi posted:

So my good old 5870 is slowly dying. BSODs and vertical lines popup temporarily at times when I am playing games. Thinking of swapping from AMD and going with Nvidia for the frist time. The 770 GTX is looking mighty fine and I've buying the card through a buddy's company so it is much cheaper (A lot cheaper since Sweden is expensive as gently caress) and another friend is willing to buy my dying GPU for his test rig. Shame my GPU is acting up as soon as I decide to buy a fancy electric guitar among other things. Welp. :saddowns:

So anyone who has a 770 here? And what is the Nvidia 770s, AMD equivalent? There are so many models and numbers everywhere it gets confusing.

Aw man. I miss Fry's. That's where I bought my 5870 when I was on vacation in the US. Relatives bought clothes and a ton of other things. I just went and bought a GPU. Going in there was like entering heaven. The size and sheer number of stuff available is huge compared to Sweden and the pirces.. my god the prices. It was as if everything was on a minimum 30% off sale, permanently.

I believe the AMD equivalent would be 7970 GHZ edition, now sold as R9 280X. With the recent price cut the 770's are only $30 more than the 280X. They have very similar performance but the 280X has 3gb vram to 770's 2gb.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Factory Factory posted:

Monitor or its cable, perhaps? Does it display perfectly with other sources/settings?

If the cable works fine on my current replacement GPU, I have no idea why it would mess up with a different one. Especially if it worked fine before on the GTX 580 before the recent driver updates.

I'll try HDMI tomorrow though and report back.

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, that absolutely sounds like it's not the GPU if you got the same thing from two different cards. Can you take a pic of the actual corruption and artifacting on the screen and post it? Some artifacts are more obviously cable related vs the memory corruption style.

If it happens again, I'll try to take a pic or printscreen it. It seems completely random though.

I will say this if it's any help. When the OS does crash, I don't get a BSoD, just a solid color covers the screen and it freezes until I reset the computer. The color is always random.

And to be fair, there is a bit of difference between the cards. For one, at least I can actually log into Windows without it instantly blue screening. :golfclap:

I would get on it tonight, but Halloween plans prevent me from doing so. I'll be sure to post as soon as I get some free time though.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
With regard to your video problems - does your PSU have additional 6/8 pin PCI-E connectors that you could try? Have you noticed anything on the motherboard itself around the PCI-E slots? Other than that, I agree with the others on trying a different cable, or hell, if you're using DVI, check the cable for bent pins and the monitor connection for any damage. I've seen weird color flashes and graphics corruption when pins get damaged on the cable, or the port on the monitor itself is messed up somehow. I dunno if anything else could cause it (perhaps motherboard drivers?) but I'd start with the most obvious things first.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

veedubfreak posted:

I'm just glad that I'm apparently too blind to ever notice stuttering/tearing/etc while playing games. I guess the immersion factor of giant screens makes up for it.

Me too. I used to play Neverwinter Nights on a crappy laptop that got 8 to 14 fps and once I upgraded to a computer that could get 60 fps in the same game, I thought it was just a small difference. I've literally never noticed screen tearing and I see no difference at all when I turn vsync on or off. I don't even notice when it jumps from 60 fps suddenly down to 30 fps.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

MeramJert posted:

Me too. I used to play Neverwinter Nights on a crappy laptop that got 8 to 14 fps and once I upgraded to a computer that could get 60 fps in the same game, I thought it was just a small difference. I've literally never noticed screen tearing and I see no difference at all when I turn vsync on or off. I don't even notice when it jumps from 60 fps suddenly down to 30 fps.

Doesn't exactly take a golden eye to spot tearing, but I guess be glad that you can't see it and it doesn't bother you since that means you don't have to chase framerate for any reason (even totally foregoing sparklies)?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Yeah I think I just have bad eyes or something. I do enjoy turning up some of the nice graphical options in games though, and it doesn't really bother me if it impacts my framerate a bit. So I guess in a way I'm sort of lucky!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

MeramJert posted:

Yeah I think I just have bad eyes or something. I do enjoy turning up some of the nice graphical options in games though, and it doesn't really bother me if it impacts my framerate a bit. So I guess in a way I'm sort of lucky!

Based on a calculation of my expenditures in an effort to stick to EITHER 30fps OR 60fps even with everything maxed and AA I'd say you're not just lucky, you're fiscally responsible, go you :) vsync jittering between framerates is the pits, and triple buffering (and other in-engine pre-rendered frames to do similar work) suck and are super noticeable to me.

It's why I spend so much on these ridiculous high end graphics cards. And why g-sync is holy grail level awesome to me. Tearing bugs the piss out of me, it has since before I ever knew what it was, and everything up to Adaptive Vsync and 120/144hz monitors are all imperfect technology to fix a problem that nVidia has apparently now elegantly solved. It's why I'm stoked for G-Sync.

Important note, other people use high refresh rate monitors for entirely different reasons (competitive FPS players, I reckon?) and it does allow vsync to have synchronization rates similar to triple buffering but without the input lag, but I would prefer getting out of the whole paradigm of framerate-locked-to-multiples thing entirely.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
There's this one part in Half Life 2 where the camera shakes to simulate an earthquake (I think right after you get the gravity gun), and the tearing is AMAZING on a modern system. Source renders so fast that I had something like five frames on screen at once and it was SUPER noticeable because the shake algorithm essentially added a per-frame jitter, so each of the tears was wildly out of alignment. It was like playing a zipper.

It was pretty cool, but after that I turned on Vsync.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
What games are you people playing to justify high end GPUs? Stop making me feel bad about my 560ti. :(

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
I don't think I've ever experienced screen tearing, thank gently caress. All this talk of new GPU's is making me wanna upgrade though. I've noticed that 7990's are like $700, are they a decent product [in terms of overall quality/usability etc], which brings me to another point, is AMD still having the crossfire issues?

For another question, what's the blower cooler like on the 770/780/titan's like if I were to look at a SLI setup?

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

-Malaysian King Kai
Alright. I actually managed to get some free time, so I did some experiments with the GPU.

First off, I switched to HDMI from DVI. Nothing changed. In fact, I now noticed I was starting to get some lines on the screen before log in. Switching back to DVI later, the issues were still present.

These were before I even re-installed the drivers. Installing them made no difference. Moving the mouse around would actually clear out some of the lines, but more would pop up.

I took some printscreens, but none of them showed any of what you see above.

I even tried what Ozz81 recommended with trying different PCIe power cables, and no luck.

What I don't get is, according to Factory Factory, if the artifacts don't show in the printscreens, it should be an issue between the cable and my eyes. Yet, as I've been typing all these posts, I've been using the same cables connected to an old HD 3650, and none of the issues are present. Everything displays fine. No freezes or artifacts at all.

It's almost as if my motherboard does not like NVIDIA GPUs anymore or something.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Rahu X posted:

Alright. I actually managed to get some free time, so I did some experiments with the GPU.

First off, I switched to HDMI from DVI. Nothing changed. In fact, I now noticed I was starting to get some lines on the screen before log in. Switching back to DVI later, the issues were still present.

These were before I even re-installed the drivers. Installing them made no difference. Moving the mouse around would actually clear out some of the lines, but more would pop up.

I even tried what Ozz81 recommended with trying different PCIe power cables, and no luck.

What I don't get is, according to Factory Factory, if the artifacts don't show in the printscreens, it should be an issue between the cable and my eyes. Yet, as I've been typing all these posts, I've been using the same cables connected to an old HD 3650, and none of the issues are present. Everything displays fine. No freezes or artifacts at all.

It's almost as if my motherboard does not like NVIDIA GPUs anymore or something.

Have you done a fresh install of drivers? CCleanered your old ones etc?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://videocardz.com/47508/videocardz-nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-ti-2880-cuda-cores

Rumor mill suggests that 780 Ti has more CUDA cores than Titan (2880 vs. 2688, respectively).

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Rahu X posted:

Have you memtested your ram?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Gonkish posted:

http://videocardz.com/47508/videocardz-nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-ti-2880-cuda-cores

Rumor mill suggests that 780 Ti has more CUDA cores than Titan (2880 vs. 2688, respectively).

That seems kind of ridiculous to me, as the extra cores in Titan didn't seem massively beneficial to game performance.

A 780 overclocked is often faster than Titan with less power requirements. If I had to guess before this news, I'd have guessed 780Ti was simply an overclocked/binned 780.

If it has more than Titan, surely it should have been Titan Ultra? NVIDIA's hierarchy is about to get hosed up.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Guni posted:

I don't think I've ever experienced screen tearing, thank gently caress. All this talk of new GPU's is making me wanna upgrade though. I've noticed that 7990's are like $700, are they a decent product [in terms of overall quality/usability etc], which brings me to another point, is AMD still having the crossfire issues?

For another question, what's the blower cooler like on the 770/780/titan's like if I were to look at a SLI setup?

Crossfire is fine under the following conditions: you run 290/290X or you don't use multiple monitors or a qHD display. There should be a fix for multi monitor crossfire for pre Hawaii cards, but until then don't bother. I wouldn't get the 7990 either, it's not very good and 700$ is too much. Two 7950 with good coolers can be had for under 250$, clock for clock are within 5-8% of a 7970 with similar headroom and can usually hit 1000-1050 on the core while slightly undervolted unless you get one with silly low voltage at stock.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Arzachel posted:

Crossfire is fine under the following conditions: you run 290/290X or you don't use multiple monitors or a qHD display. There should be a fix for multi monitor crossfire for pre Hawaii cards, but until then don't bother. I wouldn't get the 7990 either, it's not very good and 700$ is too much. Two 7950 with good coolers can be had for under 250$, clock for clock are within 5-8% of a 7970 with similar headroom and can usually hit 1000-1050 on the core while slightly undervolted unless you get one with silly low voltage at stock.

Cheers for that. I actually have a 7870Ghz at the moment, so I probably wouldn't bother upgrading to SLI 7950's vs adding another 7870Ghz. I think I might look into a 290/290x/780 cash permitting, for the last couple of months I haven't really played any games anyway - so I guess that's another factor. Pretty sure that will change in a couple of weeks when I'm finished exams and graduate university though ;)

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

I plan on finally upgrading my Core2Quad to a new Haswell i5 or i7 this Christmas. I already have a 7850 2GB. My question is, how do you think two 7850 2GB cards would do vs. say, a 280x/7970? They can be found used for pretty cheap, certainly cheaper than getting a 280x and selling my current one. Also, the one I've got will hit 1ghz core and 5ghz memory effortlessly.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Magic Underwear posted:

I believe the AMD equivalent would be 7970 GHZ edition, now sold as R9 280X. With the recent price cut the 770's are only $30 more than the 280X. They have very similar performance but the 280X has 3gb vram to 770's 2gb.

Last time I read about the new AMD cards I kept seeing how they mention that it is loud as gently caress and that there are no OEM cards until December or something. (The December bit might just be relevant to :sweden: though)

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Torabi posted:

Last time I read about the new AMD cards I kept seeing how they mention that it is loud as gently caress and that there are no OEM cards until December or something. (The December bit might just be relevant to :sweden: though)

That's for the 290x. The 280x is basically a rebadged 7970 and comes with custom coolers.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Mad_Lion posted:

I plan on finally upgrading my Core2Quad to a new Haswell i5 or i7 this Christmas. I already have a 7850 2GB. My question is, how do you think two 7850 2GB cards would do vs. say, a 280x/7970? They can be found used for pretty cheap, certainly cheaper than getting a 280x and selling my current one. Also, the one I've got will hit 1ghz core and 5ghz memory effortlessly.

Rule of thumb, two midrange cards are going to be faster than a single high(er) end card. It's more of a hassle and you would be limited to 2GB VRAM. A cheap 7950/7970/280X could be about 60-70% faster depending on the clocks, so it would be a pretty significant upgrade.

As an aside if you're willing to tinker with Afterburner, most 7850 based off the 7870 pcb tend to hit 1100 with little to no voltage once the software clock limit comes off with the best ones hitting up to 1250 once overvolted.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Guni posted:

That's for the 290x. The 280x is basically a rebadged 7970 and comes with custom coolers.

Ah alright. Thanks for clearing that up.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

-Malaysian King Kai

Guni posted:

Have you done a fresh install of drivers? CCleanered your old ones etc?

Yep. I uninstalled them, cleaned them up with CCleaner, then even cleaned them in Safe Mode with Driver Sweeper. I even made sure to remove the AMD drivers I have for my current replacement before installing the GPU and NVIDIA drivers. No dice.

Before anyone mentions reformatting and re-installing Windows, I've tried that before and got the same issues on my GTX 580 upon installing the drivers, so I doubt that will fix anything.

sether01 posted:

Have you memtested your ram?

Just finished doing so. Came up clean, no issues.

Also, small update, I gave my GTX 580 to one of my friends to test and see if he gets the same issues on his system. In the meantime, I'll probably go ahead and send the GTX 780 in for replacement. I'll keep you guys updated when I get more information, and if the GTX 580 turns out to be fine, I'll continue testing with that.

I'm really hoping I won't have to get a new motherboard, as I just got this one back in March.

Rahu X fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 1, 2013

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So I finally got my r9-290x today and I' blown away by the performance ( went from a x4 965 and a 6950 to a i7-4770k and a r9-290 on a 1440P screen) but its doing something I have never heard of before, coil whine is what other people call it, is this a bad sign about my card? will it go away or is there something i can do to reduce it?

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

jane came by posted:

What games are you people playing to justify high end GPUs? Stop making me feel bad about my 560ti. :(

Seriously. I just picked up a 280x and I am maxing out everything in games like Natural Selection 2, Battlefield 3, Tomb Raider and get a solid 60 fps at 1920x1200. I can't imagine what kind of ungodly performance people are getting with better cards.

The 280X also has support for 4K resolutions, the future is now.

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph

Arzachel posted:

As an aside if you're willing to tinker with Afterburner, most 7850 based off the 7870 pcb tend to hit 1100 with little to no voltage once the software clock limit comes off with the best ones hitting up to 1250 once overvolted.

My 7850 can hit 1.2ghz with no problem, but when I tried to OC the memory poo poo crashed, I hope that doesn't prevent any worthwhile performance gains.

jane came by posted:

Reading the GPU and monitor threads makes me feel like an impoverished mofo, but keep in mind a lot of the people here have way more money than they do patience/tolerance for slightly lower quality games.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Kerpal posted:

Seriously. I just picked up a 280x and I am maxing out everything in games like Natural Selection 2, Battlefield 3, Tomb Raider and get a solid 60 fps at 1920x1200. I can't imagine what kind of ungodly performance people are getting with better cards.

The 280X also has support for 4K resolutions, the future is now.

Well my new PC has a lovely 2560x1440p monitor sitting next to it and I wanted to make sure I had something with enough horsepower to make full use of it, Battlefeild 4 runs with everything maxed out on ultra :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Thanks to whoever mentioned that NVIDIA post-314.x driver survey/study earlier. I woke to an email from NVIDIA asking about sending me a loaner card if I'd send my card in for testing but if I was in the vicinity of their offices either coming in or(!) having an NVIDIA engineer come to your house so they can reproduce the issue on your machine.

I offered to send my card in, so we'll see how that goes....but I feel so sorry for those engineers and the horrors they will surely witness. :(