Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Inadequately posted:

It would be nice if you could toggle Web Weaver on and off, like with a bionic. The webs tend to clutter up the map, and you have no way of removing them.

I thought it was like a power you could activate and encumber enemies. The webs you leave behind don't seem to slow zombies down at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Anyone know how to go about modifying monster spawn proportions? I want there to be more Shockers and less Spitters, but modifying the monsters.json file doesn't actually seem to do much about that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
data/jsons/monstergroups.json

These contain the frequencies with which they will appear within a monster group, when they occur, what conditions prevent them from occuring, etc. etc. The jsons help file should walk you through what the various numbers mean.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys I'm starting a new game and I feel like I've learned a bit but I'm still pretty shite. I was wondering if you all could give me some advice on how to start and stuff, and what I should be doing early game.

For reference, this is the character I rolled

This is what I have after doing the basic "Smash Everything, Craft Basics"

Here is what I have around me.

I'm thinking of heading to the hotel and picking up a luggage cart, then running over to the Grocery Store / Library. I'll keep you guys updated if that's ok, and hopefully you all can help guide me to greatness. (Still haven't lived past Night 1)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Hey guys I'm starting a new game and I feel like I've learned a bit but I'm still pretty shite. I was wondering if you all could give me some advice on how to start and stuff, and what I should be doing early game.

I'm thinking of heading to the hotel and picking up a luggage cart, then running over to the Grocery Store / Library. I'll keep you guys updated if that's ok, and hopefully you all can help guide me to greatness. (Still haven't lived past Night 1)

Head to the sewage plant, they make excellent safehouses and may have a hard hat or two, or a jumpsuit if you're lucky. Also no monsters.

Don't try to open the door until you have some computing skill though as you'll break the console otherwise, when you do get it open there's some useful stuff down there.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Focus on getting some sort of torso protection. Most enemies tend to target your torso, so a leather vest really increases your combat survivability.

Also if you go to the hotel, try not to fight more than 1 zombie at once. Run instead.

If a zombie dog starts chasing you, don't even try to run away from it. It will catch you. Get it caught on a bush and fight.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh god the Hospital is filled with zombies :gonk:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Your traits are pretty bad. Optimist is worthless and so is Self-Aware. Gourmand and Light Eater are pointless because water will be harder to find than food. Consider dropping Robust Genetics unless you think you'll get heavily into mutations; it only improves your chances of getting something good minimally. Tough is alright. Pick Fleet-Footed, Parkour Expert and Quick instead, so you'll be actually capable of running from stuff.

Grab some more disadvantages. Truth Teller and Ugly are free points, Mood Swings is nearly harmless, Far-Sighted and Near-Sighted can be taken together and will be automatically negated by te pair of glasses you start with, Wool Allergy does nothing because hardly anything is made of wool and Heavy Sleeper is actually good for you because it means you won't wake up every time a squirrel farts in your general direction. Never take Trigger Happy, some of the best weapons in the game are automatic.

Start as a Military Cadet for the combat knife and the binocular, or as a Wannabe Mechanic for the chest rig. Both are cheap and give a great boost in the beginning.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

Your traits are pretty bad. Optimist is worthless and so is Self-Aware. Gourmand and Light Eater are pointless because water will be harder to find than food. Consider dropping Robust Genetics unless you think you'll get heavily into mutations; it only improves your chances of getting something good minimally. Tough is alright. Pick Fleet-Footed, Parkour Expert and Quick instead, so you'll be actually capable of running from stuff.

Grab some more disadvantages. Truth Teller and Ugly are free points, Mood Swings is nearly harmless, Far-Sighted and Near-Sighted can be taken together and will be automatically negated by te pair of glasses you start with, Wool Allergy does nothing because hardly anything is made of wool and Heavy Sleeper is actually good for you because it means you won't wake up every time a squirrel farts in your general direction. Never take Trigger Happy, some of the best weapons in the game are automatic.

Start as a Military Cadet for the combat knife and the binocular, or as a Wannabe Mechanic for the chest rig. Both are cheap and give a great boost in the beginning.

Fleet-Footed, Parkour Expert, Quick, Truth Teller, Ugly, Mood Swings, Far-Sighted, Near Sighter, Wool Allergy, Heavy Sleeper.

Military Cadet or Wannabe Mechanic.

Got it. (I died in the hotel.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, you're probably better off just setting fire to those big multi-tile buildings. There's nothing of value in them anyway.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok, I rolled a mechanic for the backpack type thing, and ended up in the same spot as last time. I took the 2 left over points and placed them in Intelligence. I just want a cart from the Hotel, but I'm not sure what's the best way to get around that huge horde.

e: I guess they hosed off somewhere, or are eating my body. I got the cart!

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 30, 2013

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Ok, I rolled a mechanic for the backpack type thing, and ended up in the same spot as last time. I took the 2 left over points and placed them in Intelligence. I just want a cart from the Hotel, but I'm not sure what's the best way to get around that huge horde.

e: I guess they hosed off somewhere, or are eating my body. I got the cart!

What do you need a cart for?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

What do you need a cart for?

They have infinite storage space right? So I can fill it up with things and just drag it behind me. Also they're really good when fighting zombies / dogs I've noticed, since it slows them down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

They have infinite storage space right? So I can fill it up with things and just drag it behind me. Also they're really good when fighting zombies / dogs I've noticed, since it slows them down.

Not infinte, just lots. They are useful for a lot of things but in the early game you're probably better off just finding some equipment on the first day, rather than going straight for a thing you cannot wear, eat, or fight with.

Clothing provides enough storage for a day of supplies and makes you much tougher. Frankly I take tailoring every time for that reason as you can make yourself a good set of clothes with that.

Essentially, at the moment, you don't have anything to put in the cart, so why bother getting one until you do?

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Do you have access to gasoline or liquor? Molotov cocktails are an easy recipe to craft and they do a great job of taking out groups of zombies. Remember that zombies come towards you in straight lines- dig pits, start fires, use bear traps if you find some- you can kite them easily right into your traps.

Cataclysm actually has a very gentle difficulty curve- kind of like an RPG, the difficulty has an inverse drop off. Once you get your character established and equipped, regular zombies pose absolutely no threat to you:

You just have to keep on trying until you get the hang of it. You should be looking for a sewing kit (or craft a bone needle) to reinforce all of your armor. You can wear two tailored, reinforced trenchcoats at the same time for no encumbrance, which is silly but also really useful. When you're covered head to toe in reinforced clothing (not even armor items, just clothing) zombies rarely can punch through and damage your HP.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Did you still not take my advice from weeks ago. :colbert:

If you're having trouble early game get fleet footed, quick and parkour expert then a good profession with several skills. If your early fights are too tough dodge will really help and tailoring is great for early gear.

You could also leave intelligence at 8 beefing up strength and dexterity since they are far more helpful early game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The big thing about combat difficulty is that individual enemies generally pose no real threat, once you start to lose you will keep losing. The pain mechanic is mostly responsible for that. Every hit you take causes pain, which builds up and reduces your stats, up to -4 to everything, at high levels, which is crippling.

Much worse, though, is that it also reduces your speed. Once you get into the 30-40 pain range, you will generally be about a third slower than normal, for every action. When you reach the point at which it is clear that you can't win, you can't run away anymore either. Painkillers just won't work fast enough. Because of that, it's generally a good idea to drug up before you wade into melee. Meth, Adderall, painkillers, booze, just pile it on while keeping speed in mind. You might have to detox later, but at least you won't be dead.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Oh god the Hospital is filled with zombies :gonk:

The thing about hospital zombies is that last I checked, they were mostly boomers. Still not something you'd want to take on right off the bat, but a reasonably armoured character and a good melee weapon can take on most of them without a scratch. Boomers are not particularly strong, and if you've been biled, you can generally just tough it out. The strongest zombies in a hospital are the occasional spitter, so if you have something to deal with those, you can clear out the rest of it fairly easily. Plus you can pick up first-aid and bandages to heal yourself along the way.

And if you really wanted a cart, you could dash up to that grocery store on the outer edges. Personally, the big draw of the hotel for me would be that pool of water in the basement. Couple that with the wild veggies you can find in the woods, and you can survive practically indefinitely holed up in that hotel. I'd suggest waiting until you have some sort of firestarting weapon to attack, though. Once you have a spraycan flamethrower/some molotovs you can clear out the large bulk of them in the parking lot, and lure a few more into the fire if you move cleverly.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 31, 2013

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
Take Krav Maga and a level in unarmed and you will immediately be able to punch through anything without getting hurt.

(note: doesn't apply to turrets)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flavor effigy posted:

Take Krav Maga and a level in unarmed and you will immediately be able to punch through anything without getting hurt.

(note: doesn't apply to turrets)

This is true, but I got cocky.

E: I tried again with Krav Maga

:getin:

e2:

LMOE Shelter in the top right corner. I might make it past day 3.

On my way there I found some military supply crates, now I've got a rifle, 30 bullets and some clothes.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 31, 2013

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Looks like there's an anthill along the way. Careful not to go too near it, although the LMOE shelter should be able to hold out if they start swarming. It might be worth it to put a few supplies somewhere else, like that cathedral, and see if you can find a useable vehicle for a quick getaway.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is anyone else finding the nightlies to be a lot more full of giant insects? Dermatiks and their ilk are spawning near any body of water now for me, not just by swamps! :gonk:

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Anticheese posted:

Is anyone else finding the nightlies to be a lot more full of giant insects? Dermatiks and their ilk are spawning near any body of water now for me, not just by swamps! :gonk:

Preaching the choir.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Maybe 0.9 will have craftable citronella candles.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Good morning, Nature.

I think I'm going to go back inside my tent now. :ohdear:

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I think I picked a bad time to start playing this.

Nothing like getting gangbanged by 2 Werewolves, 3 Vampires, and a Boomer.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Robzilla posted:

I think I picked a bad time to start playing this.

Nothing like getting gangbanged by 2 Werewolves, 3 Vampires, and a Boomer.

Now's the perfect time, grind those abs!

What were you doing to run into that particular group?
Spawns do seem to be rather high right now, I think the pack spawn rates need to be adjusted. Go bug GlyphGryph, he's the one responsible.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Wait, Vampires and werewolves are in now? Its been a while since I played.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

PiCroft posted:

Wait, Vampires and werewolves are in now? Its been a while since I played.
It's the Halloween monster group.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'd reccomend taking one of the six Halloween professions if you plan on going toe to toe against the Halloween critters.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Strumpie posted:

What were you doing to run into that particular group?
The question is where AREN'T I encountering them.

My very first game I had a werewolf bust in through the emergency shelter window and practically bite my leg off and torso in half.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Oh, thats pretty cool. Didn't know there was a halloween specific update.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

There was a 4th of July holiday update too, and we've already got the details planned for the thanksgiving one. ^_^

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Zombie turkeys!

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

PiCroft posted:

Zombie turkeys!

Zombie Pilgrims and Zombie Native Americans.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Turkeys.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

drat, I just got finished clearing out a mansion, found a ton of great loot, marked out areas of interest on my map, hiked all the way back to my base, sorted out all of the loot meticulously and everything. I threw my slimy tetrahedron on a table in the corner and tried to save the game, but it crashed on saving. When I reloaded, I was in the same spot as before, but the tetrahedron had disappeared, along with all of the loot I had just finished sorting AND all of the notes I took down on the map- but the stuff I had left in my inventory I still had in my possession.

That's a showstopping bug right there. Frustrated enough I'll probably wait until the next stable, or just start cheating like crazy to catch up to where I was.

GlyphGryph- I don't remember exactly what the error message was on trying to reload the save, but it was definitely something about the artifact position not being found.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here is a thing I wish I had known. While butchering Zombies to grind skills is awesome, it's also necessary to stop them from coming back. RIP LMOE Shelter Man.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I think pulped zombies corpses don't come back, either, so you can just keep hitting a corpse until it's mush. Useful if for some reason you don't have a cutting implement on you.

E: Also Halloween update sounds fun, I'll have to try it out later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Zombie corpses get autopulped if you 's'mash them from an adjacent tile in the nightlies now. No more hitting a million times until you finally get the right message.