Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Tell him to get over his Lenovo hate and get a Y510

Yeah, that's not happening. :/
Plus Lenovos are super overpriced where I live (Latvia, East Europe).
Asuses and HPs are pretty much the most accessible brand of laptops here and thus the most reasonably priced.

Break Fast fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Break Fast posted:

Yeah, that's not happening. :/
Plus Lenovos are super overpriced where I live.
Asuses and HPs are pretty much the most accessible brand of laptops here and thus the most reasonably priced.

You should actually tell us where you live then instead of being vague.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

Tell him to get over his Lenovo hate and get a Y510

Also tell him that 4 years of laptop use is pretty good and probably the best you're gonna get assuming you don't just leave it on a desk all the time.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I'm looking for a laptop for my wife.
Requirement include the following:
* 12.5 - 13" 1600x900 or more, touchscreen not needed
* Removable largish battery (6+ hours)
* CPU / GPU capabilities completely irrelevant, can be whatever uses less power, so haswell I guess ?
* 4GB Ram
* Storage 256GB+
* Windows 7+
* Light (3 pounds ?), but thickness/size no issue
* "Cheap" since we pay for it, not her job...

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

So it's time to say goodbye to my 1215n netbook.
I wanted something that can handle games and isn't too big/heavy.

Amazon got a Lenovo Ideapad y410p for 870$, which, considering the specs, seems a good price.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D74HEEG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A6A2ANBK76EV2

Any problem about this I should be aware of before I pull the trigger?

If there's anything similar with a better battery life you can suggest, that would be cool too, but I can live with the lovely 3 hours, my current netbook battery is currently even worse.

edit:Its actually 780$ on Lenovo's site.

Sir Gladu fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 31, 2013

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I haven't checked the thread since I stopped waiting for a Haswell Thinkpad and got a T430. How's the new generation going?
By the way, I love my T430. It really does feel absolutely rock solid.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
Some goons have bought new-gen Lenovo, but no one has received their order yet. Specs look decent, features look good, but we all knew that already.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Never buy a loving Samsung laptop the software is utter bafflingly poo poo. I just updated my touchpad and it seems to have gotten rid of middle mouse tap as well as none insane two finger scroll. Every time I start to like the Samsung Ativ Book 99999999999999999999999999 edition it finds a way to piss me off.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Is there any point to a touchscreen laptop that doesn't fold back into tablet form? I don't get it and I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Business posted:

Is there any point to a touchscreen laptop that doesn't fold back into tablet form? I don't get it and I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing

I've messed around with my wife's Yoga 11s in normal laptop mode, just browsing. Reaching up to the screen to swipe was surprisingly handy and I tended to do it a lot. This was only for like a 10 minute sitting, so I don't know how bad it would be for extended use. Two finger swiping on the touchpad is also a really similar and probably less tiring method for doing the same, though some touchpads can be poor enough that it's a hassle.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Business posted:

Not really, but after using a Yoga 2 for about 2.5 weeks now I find myself using the touchscreen sometimes even when it's in laptop mode. Like if I'm laying down in bed and just reading a website it's easier for me to scroll using the touchscreen than the touchpad.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Yeah, for all the doom-saying about gorilla arm, it's really not that bad having the option. I don't use the touch screen all the time for all interactions, and it's not usually like my arm is hovering above the keyboard for extended amounts of time. But it is pretty easy to shoot your hand up and tap what you want to click, rather than moving from the keyboard to the touchpad and then moving the cursor and clicking. When I go back to regular laptops, I have to fight the urge to tap stuff. (That's something I hear from a lot of other people, also.)

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 31, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

LifeSizePotato posted:

Yeah, for all the doom-saying about gorilla arm, it's really not that bad having the option. I don't use the touch screen all the time for all interactions, and it's not usually like my arm is hovering above the keyboard for extended amounts of time. But it is pretty easy to shoot your hand up and tap what you want to click, rather than moving from the keyboard to the touchpad and then moving the cursor and clicking. When I go back to regular laptops, I have to fight the urge to tap stuff. (That's something I hear from a lot of other people, also.)

I'd rather take the extra cash, battery life, and weight. Even if it's just like $50 I'd rather take the $50 instead of a dumb feature.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Good for you, I guess?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

I'd rather take the extra cash, battery life, and weight. Even if it's just like $50 I'd rather take the $50 instead of a dumb feature.

We know, you'd rather put that money into a nice super high res screen instead!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Question of opinion for you lads & lasses:

I've my heart set on a Lenovo 510y. Originally, I was going to get the $999 model with Blu-Ray drive as I have no other Blu-Ray device, but like many people these days I don't use my optical drives very much - the Blu-Ray would just be "in case I need it", really, and external drives are always an option. Now they have one up for sales for $1129 that has another 750M card in the Ultrabay instead of an optical drive - do you think that it's worth it?

I bought an SLI notebook back in '07/'08 for a hell of a lot more than $1129 and regretted it, but I thought that perhaps the technology has improved within the last 5 years. I'd like to future-proof this machine and, should I need it, I can always get a cheap optical drive down the line if needs must.

Basically, is an increase in gaming performance going to justify a $130 increase in cost. I'd appreciate your opinions.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Anyone have an old Samsung touchpad driver? I wish to have my two finger scroll go the correct logical way and the new version does not wish to give me that option.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

LifeSizePotato posted:

Good for you, I guess?

RVProfootballer posted:

We know, you'd rather put that money into a nice super high res screen instead!

What's with the snippy comments? People have different opinions and needs, and it's important for people who come here for advice to get a relatively balanced viewpoint on issues where there isn't any real consensus on what is best. Pretty much everyone agrees that leftover plastic Sandy Bridge laptops with 5400 rpm hard drives suck, but the desirability of things like touchscreens and super-high DPI screens is quite debatable and falls squarely in the "try before you buy because not everyone likes them" category.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 1, 2013

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Cream_Filling posted:

Even if it's just like $50 I'd rather take the $50 instead of a dumb feature.

This isn't a relatively balanced viewpoint.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Esposito posted:

This isn't a relatively balanced viewpoint.

Why? The non-monetary costs of adding in the feature make it undesirable if you're not going to use it. Not paying more for unnecessary features is pretty reasonable, especially considering that capacitive touch requires constant power to operate and the protective layers required for screen touching can negatively affect display quality.

$50 would be 5-10% of the price of a typical laptop, and is a fairly reasonable guess at the best-case scenario for adding touch. Maybe a year ago, the price premium was more like $120-150 for adding touch functionality, but probably a decent chunk of that premium was because of the novelty and the actual costs would come down with greater volumes, both for parts and for production.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Because what you originally expressed wasn't a balanced consideration of the monetary and non-monetary cost of a touch screen, rather you dismissed it as "a dumb feature". In the face of people actually expressing how a touch screen is practical for them, calling it a dumb feature seems a bit more snippy than either of the comments you've subsequently objected to.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
But those are dumb people, lacking in the hand-eye coordination to successfully use a track pad. So it is a dumb feature.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Esposito posted:

Because what you originally expressed wasn't a balanced consideration of the monetary and non-monetary cost of a touch screen, rather you dismissed it as "a dumb feature". In the face of people actually expressing how a touch screen is practical for them, calling it a dumb feature seems a bit more snippy than either of the comments you've subsequently objected to.

But it is a dumb feature?

Is it really necessary to preface every simple statement with "In my humble opinion which is totally personal and may be different for you"? I've used them for many years, and I think it's a dumb feature (outside of tablets). I already mentioned cost, battery life, and weight, and this isn't exactly a new topic. I assumed that if someone hadn't heard the whole argument already, they'd ask.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

I'm not arguing about whether it's a dumb feature or not (it is [disclaimer: in my opinion]). I'm focusing on your objection to the 'snippy comments', which are really no more or less snippy than saying 'that feature you like is a dumb feature'. Really all they're expressing is an opposing point of view.

Having said that, touch screens on laptops suck, gently caress those things.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Esposito posted:

I'm not arguing about whether it's a dumb feature or not (it is [disclaimer: in my opinion]). I'm focusing on your objection to the 'snippy comments', which are really no more or less snippy than saying 'that feature you like is a dumb feature'. Really all they're expressing is an opposing point of view.

Having said that, touch screens on laptops suck, gently caress those things.

No, I objected to them because they focused on me personally instead of the issue. Which I think is silly considering that I was pretty clearly stating my own personal opinion and didn't even directly address anyone else. I just don't get why they would get mad because someone has a different opinion on computers.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My roomate bought a new MacBook Air 2 weeks ago and I instinctively tried to tap the screen several different times. I think it could be incredibly useful and awesome.

In my opinion.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Did you actually touch the screen? Or did you back off before smudging it with your oily fingers?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For ultrabooks with removable HDDs, what is the best SSD to replace them with?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

shrughes posted:

Did you actually touch the screen? Or did you back off before smudging it with your oily fingers?

Like anyone would notice on an Air screen.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

V for Vegas posted:

For ultrabooks with removable HDDs, what is the best SSD to replace them with?

2.5: Samsung EVO

mSATA: Mushkin Enhanced Atlas Deluxe(look for -DX on the model name.)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I really want to watch you goofy shits constantly trying to use touchscreens on a non-convertible laptop just so I can get a good laugh.

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.
So Lenovo support is sending me a fresh HDD instead of having me return my Thinkpad X230U that won't boot (HDD diagnostics showed the disk was bad). They are also sending a restore disk to do a fresh install of Windows 8. That being said, would I be better off just installing and OEM version of Windows 8 once I get the new HDD in so I don't have all the Lenovo "extras"? If that is the case, I know the X230U has a SSD, am I supposed to install the OS on that and partition the 500GB drive for Programs/Media? or what? Or is the SSD used for something else? I'm a little confused on all of that, help me out if you can on what my best path forward is with:

Thinkpad Twist X230U
New 500GB hard drive
Lenovo Supplied Restore Disk
Shadily Acquired Windows 8 OEM USB
External DVD Drive

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Lenovo's extras are fine, the power manager and auto-updater is good, the others can be ignored and uninstalled without any hassle.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

What's the word in the Dell Latitude E6430? My dad's been hawking it since he saw it got better scores than the Lenovo T530 in a Laptop Magazine review.

Alamadu
Sep 16, 2009
So I dropped my laptop and killed it and now I am trying to find something. My budget is flexible, but I am in school and not able to work a lot so I want to keep it down if I can. I started looking in to the Lenovo Yogas more because I found an 11s refurbished for what seemed like a good price. Then I decided to go to Best Buy and play around with one to see if I liked it. It seemed really nice, but then I started playing with a Yoga 2 Pro and it seemed a lot nicer.

I know the Yoga 2 Pros have the problem with not displaying yellows correctly, this isn't a huge concern with me. I will occasionally edit photos, but I would just start using my desktop if it can't be fixed. Plus from what I am reading it seems like it may just be a software issue they need to patch.

Basically I am trying to decide if I should just pull the trigger and buy a refurbished 11s or maybe even a 13, or should I wait until the black friday deals and hope for steep discounts on the 2 pro?

Anyone have any thoughts? Or any reason I shouldn't buy any of the Yogas?

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Well, Lenovo just pushed the ship date of my wife's yoga 2 back to 11/27

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dyne posted:

Well, Lenovo just pushed the ship date of my wife's yoga 2 back to 11/27

It's my understanding that the ship date is pretty fluid and inaccurate. Mine went from 11/11 to 10/31, then Halloween morning out to 11/25. It'll ship sometime, eventually, is what I take away from that.

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.
Well this is loving great.
I got the 4 disc suite of recovery software from Lenovo to get my computer going again after replacing the defective hard drive. The Application and Drivers disk starts the recovery correctly but when it asks for Operating System Recovery Disc 1 (Windows 8 OEM) the disk fails. It also doesnt load on my desktop, it's like a bad burn or something. So I called back and they don't have any more in stock to send....what a joke.

Does anybody have this disc that can create and ISO for me so I can burn it and try that? It's disk 1 of 2 and presumably i'd only need 1 since the disk 2 I have works in my desktop. Thanks for any advice you might have.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Forums Terrorist posted:

What's the word in the Dell Latitude E6430? My dad's been hawking it since he saw it got better scores than the Lenovo T530 in a Laptop Magazine review.

Well, it's a 14" laptop and the T530 is a 15.6" laptop.

Last year it was the 14" businessy laptop that could be configured with a quad-core CPU, though it would get hot.

This year the T440p can be configured with a good quad-core CPU, and a 1920x1080 IPS screen. Who knows how hot it gets.

The E6440 isn't out yet though so we can't compare. Edit: Oh, sorry, it is out! No quad-core offering (maybe just because no online configurability), screen goes up to 1600x900.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
For anyone buying, since it's not obvious at all: getting the base or higher quad-core CPU in the T440p auto-upgrades you to the 730M. This adds an extra $80 to the cost over what it says if you have the integrated graphics selected - the normal 730M upgrade cost is $130.

I would think that would make the real cost difference $155 instead of the listed $205 for the i3-4000M -> i7-4700MQ upgrade when both systems have the 730M, but it's $175 instead, maybe to cover the cost of the increased adapter size. Regardless, there's still a small discount over what it claims the price difference to be if you planned on getting the 730M anyway.

or you could get a Y410p but that doesn't have a 9-cell battery