Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I'm stuck towards the end when you return to Blackgate after the Joker has taken over.

I'm in a sewer area, and Batman keeps talking about getting power to the pump generator to raise the water level (he won't shut up about it; every 10 seconds he says it again). There was a switch I "Use"d to create a burst of electricity to charge a Remote Batarang, and I slammed the 'rang into one of those electrical control panels. However, this didn't raise the water level. Also, the button that made the electricity happen to longer has a "Use" prompt on it. Am I missing something, or am I glitched right at the very end of the game?

EDIT: Never mind, the water level did raise, it just didn't look like it had at all. Whoops.

ZDar Fan fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Loeb wrote Long Halloween and Dark Victory, which share the exact same format and yet are really drat good stories. I never liked Hush though, despite having the same formula, and Loeb's writing has really degenerated for me to the point that I'm wary of going back to re-read LH & DV in case they're not as good as I remember.... or maybe they just worked because of the cool Tim Sale artwork v:shobon:v

Sadly they really only worked because of the Tim Sale art. Looking back the writing isn't horrific per se, and is even quite good in places, but the more of Jeph Loeb you've read the more you can spot his bag of tricks (LOOK IT'S A GUEST CHARACTER YOU LIKE) and the less endearing it is.

That Tim Sale art is drat fine though. Really drat fine.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

PoshAlligator posted:

Well, I've encountered what might be a new gamebreaking bug.

In the fight with Bane in Blackgate, during the section where Batman must shock glove Bane to death I lost the fight. Upon reloading, the cutscene where what I need to do is explained. I tap B to skip it and suddenly the next cutscene plays, where Bane is revived and becomes Mega Bane. The camera shows this boss, in the boss area he is meant to be in but covered in darkness. The camera pans up to the actual fight I should be doing and everything is there, but the dialogue from the wrong fight is playing, and I no longer seem to have any use of the shock gloves, which should make it impossible?

I quite out and back in and the same thing happened.

I have exactly the same issue caused by the same thing (skipping the cutscene before the fight), only I finished the fight by dodging, waiting for him to do his move that downs all other attackers, then cape stunning and doing a beatdown on him several times. Following that the correct cutscenes played, but then the game switched to a black screen and the game being unable to decide if I'm shocking bane back to life or in another area as I am getting button prompts for both. Batman is obviously in the room with Mega Bane even if the camera isn't, because after a few minutes of my controller vibrating in time to what I assume is Batman getting the poo poo kicked out of him because I can't see, it cuts to a game over screen.

I think that's the last straw for me. This is why single-save entirely automated save systems are loving poo poo, a corrupted save means you either stop playing until a patch, or start the entire goddamn game all over again. I wish I had liked this game more, but it really had a death by a thousand cuts thing going on, so many little things that dragged the experience down, and now, apparently right at the end, a corrupted save. :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mind the walrus posted:

Sadly they really only worked because of the Tim Sale art. Looking back the writing isn't horrific per se, and is even quite good in places, but the more of Jeph Loeb you've read the more you can spot his bag of tricks (LOOK IT'S A GUEST CHARACTER YOU LIKE) and the less endearing it is.

That Tim Sale art is drat fine though. Really drat fine.

Plus it was helped that like 1/3 of the dialogue across Long Halloween and Dark Victory was ripped straight from the Godfather trilogy.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Reveilled posted:

I think that's the last straw for me. This is why single-save entirely automated save systems are loving poo poo, a corrupted save means you either stop playing until a patch, or start the entire goddamn game all over again. I wish I had liked this game more, but it really had a death by a thousand cuts thing going on, so many little things that dragged the experience down, and now, apparently right at the end, a corrupted save. :(

This is why I will never understand why Steam cloud saving doesn't allow users to store sequential saves and restore them from backup. We all have tons of available space, so it isn't like space is an issue. I really don't give a flying gently caress about how game designers intend for me to play their games or what they claim it does to balance or whatever bullshit excuse they would come up with, because this kind of problem always crops up. Saves get corrupted, checkpoints routinely screw players by trapping them in unwinnable or inescapable situations, and the only solution is to manually back up a file. It isn't exactly difficult to do, but why make us jump through the hoops when we are all already using a system to remotely store and retrieve saves?

Sequential saving and checkpoints will never go away and manual saving will never come back because of the dominance of consoles. As long as developers are going to make us suffer under lovely saving regimes, why shouldn't Valve help us out by automating what a lot of us already do?

THE CHORSE fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 1, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Came up behind a guy in Penguin's boat and did a combat takedown on a guy on the ledge. He screams "OH COME ON! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!" as he goes down.

Almost would've felt sorry for him...if I wasn't laughing so hard. :v:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Saw the patch so I decided to hop in and do the tower. On the way, there was a Blackgate thug, so I figured why not, let's take him out on the way to the Burnley tower. All of a sudden I finish the combat skill tree (50x multiplier, don't get hit, 15x variation).

That was weird.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh, the synopsis on my upgrade menu skipped forward past a boss fight(looks like ~1.5 hours). My game spoiled itself.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm at least 60% sure my Joker team guy is human.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I just realized something (it's minor, but spoiled just to be safe). At the end of the Deathstroke fight, the reason Batman lands the KO is because Slade expected the sword to be thrown at him, instead of nonlethally thrown beside him, because that's what he'd do if their positions were reversed. And so he's distracted.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I had my first game breaking glitch. :(

I was stuck at the predator room before you go to fight Firefly. After my latest reload at checkpoint, I'm now endlessly falling in the abyss underneath the map.

I can't fast travel and quitting to dashboard and reloading doesn't fix it.

When my save got corrupted in City I had no qualms about starting over because that game was awesome. Now I don't know if I'll ever pick up Origins again.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/batman-arkham-origins-glitches,news-17800.html

They're a little late to press with this, but it's not like they fixed *every* glitch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finished the main game at last, ran into that same bug others have experienced where restarting the Bane fight in Blackgate jumps to the next cutscene and puts Bane down a level or so below while Batman was stuck fighting regular mooks upstairs while a now ghostly regular Bane walked in place against a wall - luckily restarting again fixed that and after that I had no more issues, because if the game had screwed up at that point I don't know how the hell I would have taken it.

I really enjoyed the game, though as others have said the more I played the more I realized it really is lacking in that little extra something that Asylum and City had. Not to say it's a bad game, because I loved playing it and plan to replay it pretty drat quickly through New Game+, and I really dug the story - but there was just a little extra spark missing, and somehow this time it ended up feeling weird just how much was happening in one night even though the previous two games had such a tightly packed single night timeframe.

I really, really wish that Joker had ended his story after that amazing interview with Harley and they'd stuck to Bane as the main villain. I did enjoy those final interactions between Batman and Joker (in a :stare: kind of way) but I could really use a game where Joker isn't always front and center. As for Black Mask, it was disappointing that he was never really involved in any of the plot other than on the periphery. When Batman realized it was Joker who set up the assassins I was disappointed, I thought it would have been far better to show this sadistic but old school mob guy kicking things off thinking he could control the situation, only for it to spiral out of control once the "freaks" got involved. Having those freaks running crazy just be all part of Joker's plan all along was a bit of a disappointment.

At least they finally got Bane to be more than just a joke - they did far better than Rocksteady in that regard at least.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

How / when do you get the Disarm and Destroy takedown? I've already unlocked the double takedown token upgrade, but I can't actually do the disarm & destroy and haven't unlocked it the same way the other three takedowns have. Does it come from the Shiva storyline? Or is it tucked away somewhere else? It's pretty frustrating fighting knife, shield and gun guys and not being able to destroy their weapons.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Yeah, this game is still fun to play, but something is just slightly off in the combat timing. It doesn't help that most of the boss' mechanics are lifted straight from the bosses in City. I'll probably still do just about everything, but going back to Asylum and City after this is going to be a treat.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Something I think I missed: Why did Bane want to kill Batman so much? I thought they hadn't met before but he had a serious grudge.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

bubbapook posted:

How / when do you get the Disarm and Destroy takedown? I've already unlocked the double takedown token upgrade, but I can't actually do the disarm & destroy and haven't unlocked it the same way the other three takedowns have. Does it come from the Shiva storyline? Or is it tucked away somewhere else? It's pretty frustrating fighting knife, shield and gun guys and not being able to destroy their weapons.

You have to complete one of the sidequests, can't remember which one off the top of my head. I wanna say it's the Bird submissions, which aren't too bad, but don't unlock for a while.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Pwnstar posted:

Something I think I missed: Why did Bane want to kill Batman so much? I thought they hadn't met before but he had a serious grudge.

The same reason why all the assassins wanted to kill Batman: 50 million dollars.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Just tried 'I am the Night' mode. Didn't want those 3-4 hours anyhow. Made it to the first Bane fight, which is exactly where I thought I would die. Most the game is pretty easy for me, but this boss is my only real problem. I think having to fight Bane twice throughout the game with almost identical mechanics is going to be the hardest to deal with for this mode. Would love it if there was a way to load up a boss fight and try it over and over until I can perfect the mechanics. I'm getting better at this boss, but still make mistakes. Thought I would also mention, in case anyone was wondering: 'I am the Night' mode is 'New Game +' difficulty.

Also tried multiplayer today. Cool concept, pretty terrible execution. Do we need a leveling system in every multiplayer game these days? I feel old as gently caress saying this, but I remember back when online games were fun enough to hold our attention without a lovely grind for better weapons. Also, out of about 10 games so far I've yet to have a proper 3v3v2 match.

Oh well I bought the game for the single player mode, and am pretty satisfied with it apart from the bugs. At least they seem intent on fixing them, just a pity they didn't catch most of them before launch.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

TaurusOxford posted:

The same reason why all the assassins wanted to kill Batman: 50 million dollars.

There was more to it. Bane says stuff like "once I kill you I will have peace", Batman and Bane occasionally say things that suggest they've met in the past, and the Joker implies that Bane is in this for revenge by commenting that he apparently prefers his dishes served cold.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Reveilled posted:

There was more to it. Bane says stuff like "once I kill you I will have peace", Batman and Bane occasionally say things that suggest they've met in the past, and the Joker implies that Bane is in this for revenge by commenting that he apparently prefers his dishes served cold.

There was a line in Arkham Asylum where Batman says something like "No Bane, this time I break you!" (at least I think it was Asylum). Bane never really 'broke' Batman in Origins, so perhaps this happened before the game. That's presuming WB Montreal considered that line.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Keeku posted:

There was a line in Arkham Asylum where Batman says something like "No Bane, this time I break you!" (at least I think it was Asylum). Bane never really 'broke' Batman in Origins, so perhaps this happened before the game. That's presuming WB Montreal considered that line.

Except Origins is only year two into Batman's career. Bane breaking Batman's back happened well after this point.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~

Pwnstar posted:

I didn't see it explicitly spelled out in the game, but Bane's motivations are pretty much supposed to parallel his first appearance in the Knightfall arc of the comic books (warning, a bad summary follows) when the game mentions Bane being 'haunted' and trying to free himself, it's a reference to the constant nightmares he had in prison about a literal Bat. When he first learns about Batman he sees a lot of the parallels between them and thinks that breaking him will symbolically free him from his torment, and that their confrontation is destined. Of course that lead to the famous backbreaking scene that left Bruce crippled and ended with Bane more or less on the road to redemption and a cure to his addiction, but unfortunately they had to stick to the existing Arkham canon of 'Bane is a scummy giant doofus' and we got doofy titan Bane as the final boss :sigh:. At least Bats shrugging off the backbreaker and reviving Bane after the fight, actually 'breaking' him and forcing him to take the easy way out towards his goals made in interesting riff on the events and resolution of knightfall! Honestly, the game REALLY would have worked better if he had taken over the mantle of main antagonist instead of letting Joker steal center stage after getting sent to blackgate. Where, 3 months later, he's main villain again apparently! At this rate he'll be the main bad guy of the suicide squad game too...

Speaking of which, anyone else catch the not so subtle Captain Boomerang reference in the Convicts most wanted side quest? I'd say that, plus the fact the developers seem to have a lot of love for the character, means Deadshot is most certainly going to get a chance to be something other than an underwhelming boss in the future...

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Pwnstar posted:

IIRC from the comics Bane just wants to break the Bat because of the challenge.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

We need Arkham Origins Origins to explain this plot point.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

Except Origins is only year two into Batman's career. Bane breaking Batman's back happened well after this point.

Do you mean in this continuity or the comic continuity? I know it takes place later in his career in the comics, but this game is forging its own timeline. If Bane has a beef with Batman in Origins, it could be related to him breaking Batman at an earlier point to the Origins game. We don't know a huge deal on what happened before the game. It's a stretch, but as it was pointed out it did seem like there was some kind of history between the two already in Origins.

"Bane. What is he doing in Gotham?" was a line early in the game which indicates Batman already knows Bane.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I've been playing the challenge rooms, and I'm finding that I fight much better in them than in the main game. It seems like Batman can counter in mid attack much easier than in the main game. I went up against a group that contained 2 shields, 2 body armors, and 1 huge guy that needs the triple cape stun to hurt; and I kicked rear end until the camera started bugging out. This combination would destroy me in the actual game. In addition, I saw a double counter that I've never seen in the main game where Batman suplexes one thug into another.

I even tried not using any of the special moves to simulate that it is impossible to get your meter up in the main game since the main game gives you few normal thugs near the end of the game to see if I was just fooling myself, and I still did as well as I used to in AC. I know that combat being different in the challenge rooms would not make sense. Has anybody else experienced this?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Keeku posted:

Do you mean in this continuity or the comic continuity? I know it takes place later in his career in the comics, but this game is forging its own timeline. If Bane has a beef with Batman in Origins, it could be related to him breaking Batman at an earlier point to the Origins game. We don't know a huge deal on what happened before the game. It's a stretch, but as it was pointed out it did seem like there was some kind of history between the two already in Origins.

"Bane. What is he doing in Gotham?" was a line early in the game which indicates Batman already knows Bane.

I think a lot of that comes down to inconsistent writing. It seemed like the writers wanted to push the inexperienced Batman angle but didn't really stick with it 100%, so you got bits like "I fought some kind of alligator thing" and "who is this Joker character" while on the other hand, he apparently is on a first name basis with Deathstroke and is familiar with Bane, Deadshot, etc.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Human Crouton posted:

I've been playing the challenge rooms, and I'm finding that I fight much better in them than in the main game. It seems like Batman can counter in mid attack much easier than in the main game. I went up against a group that contained 2 shields, 2 body armors, and 1 huge guy that needs the triple cape stun to hurt; and I kicked rear end until the camera started bugging out. This combination would destroy me in the actual game. In addition, I saw a double counter that I've never seen in the main game where Batman suplexes one thug into another.

I even tried not using any of the special moves to simulate that it is impossible to get your meter up in the main game since the main game gives you few normal thugs near the end of the game to see if I was just fooling myself, and I still did as well as I used to in AC. I know that combat being different in the challenge rooms would not make sense. Has anybody else experienced this?

It's the same with me. During the story it seems like the enemies get a huge boost, are more aggressive, and do the Gumby Slide with a lot more frequency. I don't know if it's just because I get "in the zone" when doing the challenge rooms, or if the AI legitimately acts different there, but I also seem to be having a much easier time fighting guys in the challenge rooms.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I really enjoyed the game, though as others have said the more I played the more I realized it really is lacking in that little extra something that Asylum and City had. Not to say it's a bad game, because I loved playing it and plan to replay it pretty drat quickly through New Game+, and I really dug the story - but there was just a little extra spark missing, and somehow this time it ended up feeling weird just how much was happening in one night even though the previous two games had such a tightly packed single night timeframe.

I really, really wish that Joker had ended his story after that amazing interview with Harley and they'd stuck to Bane as the main villain. I did enjoy those final interactions between Batman and Joker (in a :stare: kind of way) but I could really use a game where Joker isn't always front and center. As for Black Mask, it was disappointing that he was never really involved in any of the plot other than on the periphery. When Batman realized it was Joker who set up the assassins I was disappointed, I thought it would have been far better to show this sadistic but old school mob guy kicking things off thinking he could control the situation, only for it to spiral out of control once the "freaks" got involved. Having those freaks running crazy just be all part of Joker's plan all along was a bit of a disappointment.

At least they finally got Bane to be more than just a joke - they did far better than Rocksteady in that regard at least.

Agreed with all your points. The story really hit a high point after Saving the Joker at the Royal hotel. Everything after that felt rather lackluster in comparison

I love how the Arkham games take the best elements from all the Batman sources and meld it into their own version. Origins Bane clearly has a lot of inspiration from Nolan's film with his mercenary army HERMANOS. The gothic architecture and tones from the Burton films. The Rogue's gallery from the animated series. Even the sprawling dystopia gotham with bright neon colours from Schumacher are blended in. I'll keep buying Arkham games no matter who makes them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrNutt posted:

I think a lot of that comes down to inconsistent writing. It seemed like the writers wanted to push the inexperienced Batman angle but didn't really stick with it 100%, so you got bits like "I fought some kind of alligator thing" and "who is this Joker character" while on the other hand, he apparently is on a first name basis with Deathstroke and is familiar with Bane, Deadshot, etc.

The Deathstroke thing is probably about equal parts due to 'Slade' sounding cooler than 'Wilson' and Slade being the name people familiar with the character from the Teen Titans cartoon and Arrow TV show know him by.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

DrNutt posted:

I never got the impression that either side knew each other outside of Batman knowing their background info and them knowing he exists. It's clear none of those villains have ever actually encountered Batman before that night, although they may have heard of him previously. Not to mention, Batman has the tendency to use your real name if he knows it.

The consistency of the writing is actually pretty good in that regard.

NarDmw
Mar 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

Keeku posted:

Just tried 'I am the Night' mode. Didn't want those 3-4 hours anyhow. Made it to the first Bane fight, which is exactly where I thought I would die. Most the game is pretty easy for me, but this boss is my only real problem. I think having to fight Bane twice throughout the game with almost identical mechanics is going to be the hardest to deal with for this mode. Would love it if there was a way to load up a boss fight and try it over and over until I can perfect the mechanics. I'm getting better at this boss, but still make mistakes. Thought I would also mention, in case anyone was wondering: 'I am the Night' mode is 'New Game +' difficulty.

Also tried multiplayer today. Cool concept, pretty terrible execution. Do we need a leveling system in every multiplayer game these days? I feel old as gently caress saying this, but I remember back when online games were fun enough to hold our attention without a lovely grind for better weapons. Also, out of about 10 games so far I've yet to have a proper 3v3v2 match.

Oh well I bought the game for the single player mode, and am pretty satisfied with it apart from the bugs. At least they seem intent on fixing them, just a pity they didn't catch most of them before launch.

Actually you can easily reload from checkpoint at anytime during 'I am the Night' mode. It makes the entire achievement trivial as you can reload before you die to start again.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Unless you want the extra New 52 costume, just don't bother with the Enigma/Riddler arc. There's no payoff. :(

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Cryohazard posted:

Unless you want the extra New 52 costume, just don't bother with the Enigma/Riddler arc. There's no payoff. :(

Yeah it felt like there were a lot of things with no payoff but the fact that you don't even get a conversation for getting all the trophies seems really lovely.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Well, I just got my first real "gently caress that" glitch.

Was working on getting Data packs and picked up one on the North side, and went to go to the map to find the next one. That same pack that I just picked up shows on he map and in the Riddler To Do list. I'm a little upset that I may have to go through the collect a thon all over again.

In general, I still really like the game though, and I was going to play it again anyway, so no huge loss. More annoying than anything.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
Apologies if this has been posted before.

Rightclick on arkham origins in steam. Click properties. Press "Set launch options" and type in "-nostartupmovies"

Lets you skip the horrendously long loading screens.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
So I completed almost every side quest and collected probably 90% of the Riddler trophies. I get to the final boss battle and I died on my first attempt with Bane almost immediately after he crushes your back. I reload and skip the long cutscene but it ends up skipping the combat and just goes to the next cutscene. After that cutscene loads with Joker grabbing Gordon, it then loads the cutscene of Bane being resuscitated and taking the experimental venom. We fall through the floor and then gameplay begins with a black screen and a prompt to use the shock gloves to save Bane. After the prompts are finished, it loads to a black screen. I can pause the game and see my surroundings but when I unpause, its just black. Restarted from the last checkpoint causes this series of events to happen all over again. I cannot progress and finish the game now. Bane seems to have vanished.

gently caress you devs. I just wasted all that time going for 100% completion.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Icesler posted:

So I completed almost every side quest and collected probably 90% of the Riddler trophies. I get to the final boss battle and I died on my first attempt with Bane almost immediately after he crushes your back. I reload and skip the long cutscene but it ends up skipping the combat and just goes to the next cutscene. After that cutscene loads with Joker grabbing Gordon, it then loads the cutscene of Bane being resuscitated and taking the experimental venom. We fall through the floor and then gameplay begins with a black screen and a prompt to use the shock gloves to save Bane. After the prompts are finished, it loads to a black screen. I can pause the game and see my surroundings but when I unpause, its just black. Restarted from the last checkpoint causes this series of events to happen all over again. I cannot progress and finish the game now. Bane seems to have vanished.

gently caress you devs. I just wasted all that time going for 100% completion.

I just got this same bug. Don't really know what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

NarDmw posted:

Actually you can easily reload from checkpoint at anytime during 'I am the Night' mode. It makes the entire achievement trivial as you can reload before you die to start again.

Ugh. I was worried that would be the case.

• Locked thread