Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

A Yolo Wizard posted:

The US had skylanders giants wii u edition

Oh yeah, sorry, just went and looked and it was Spiro's Adventure (the first one) that got a J only Wii U port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Random Stranger posted:

Tried both on multiple televisions.

And you enabled component output in the system menu prior to hooking it via component?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Hope I'm not too late for the JP only vs US only releases! One that is relevant to me currently (because I just won it on ebay) would have to be Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun! A parody/spin off of Castlevania, also made by Konami! This Canon (in my opinion) game explains how Dracula became friends with all the monsters that are always in his castle, and details his rise to the throne!

I just picked it up for about :10bux: off it's typical ebay price, because it was listed as Catslevani. The seller has another one listed as that as Catslevani well if anyone else wants to pick it up on the cheap.

Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun was released only in Japan, for the famicom, however there was a fan transation made sometime in the 2000s. It's sequel/semi-remake (think Evil Dead 2), Kid Dracula was for the gameboy, and was localized for US release in the same year (Thank you based Konami). Unfortunately it's a dumb amount of :retrogames: to get it in English. I'll pick it up eventually, since I'm working on collecting every single Castlevania game, as it's my favorite series.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

ssergE posted:

Hey note sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I was watching "Good Game", a decent video game review show on ABC2 (Australia) on Tuesday and saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vsLJXFAjp4#t=143

Caitlin, you are now TV-In-Australia-Famous.

I busted out my phone just to see this at work since I have no YouTube here. Ahaha wow. I'm shocked it was the lead story on it no less. What in the world!

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I remember there was a SNES version of Majong, I rented it as a kid. Nintendo Power even covered it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Caitlin posted:

I busted out my phone just to see this at work since I have no YouTube here. Ahaha wow. I'm shocked it was the lead story on it no less. What in the world!

Speaking of foreign TV, get thee to the GCCX thread if you haven't been since last night.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

univbee posted:

Speaking of foreign TV, get thee to the GCCX thread if you haven't been since last night.

GLEE :buddy:

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't checked that thread today! :neckbeard:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Famicom game that never came to America? Mitsume ga Tooru. Based on a manga/anime I've never heard of before. Kind of plays like Mega Man.

There's also a Kyatto Ninden Teyandee game AKA Samurai Pizza Cats. I would have flipped my poo poo if this came out, I loving loved that show.

Now games made by Americans/Western devs that were for Japan? Does The Black Onyx count?

NES games that never went to Japan? Destination Earthstar is one and it's a poor man's version of Star Raiders/Star Trek by Acclaim.

And speaking of which, Star Luster is a Star Raiders clone by Namco that never left Japan. Oddly enough it made it to the Japanese VC.

And finally, an NES game that didn't even leave Europe is Elite.

d34dm34t
Jul 21, 2007

Does anyone out there have a recommendation for an HDMI/VGA upscaler which works with the Neo Geo AES. I've tried mine with the SLG-in-a-box to no avail. It can't sync at all. I've also tried it with the XRGB Mini, with better results. It's mostly usable but it still loses sync occasionally and the picture jumps slightly every so often.

I had a similar problem with my Genesis and Megadrives; but adding an LM1881 based sync stripper to the input solved the problem. However trying the same with the Neo Geo results in precisely no picture being displayed (the sound is still audible).

Has anyone had any luck with other scalers or cunning cable adaptations?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

liquid courage posted:

Speaking of controllers, I've been looking at Super Famicoms and came across this controller:

I know it's nearly the same as a regular Super Nintendo controller, but I just love that it has the mock speaker opening in the bottom right hand corner.

The SGB Commander is a work of art. There's the normal speed and two slow settings; but if you hold up on boot, you get a faster clock speed added. ..Sure its just inputting cheat codes that the SGB has built in, but its more convenient and that fake speaker is so cute.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

d34dm34t posted:

Does anyone out there have a recommendation for an HDMI/VGA upscaler which works with the Neo Geo AES. I've tried mine with the SLG-in-a-box to no avail. It can't sync at all. I've also tried it with the XRGB Mini, with better results. It's mostly usable but it still loses sync occasionally and the picture jumps slightly every so often.

I had a similar problem with my Genesis and Megadrives; but adding an LM1881 based sync stripper to the input solved the problem. However trying the same with the Neo Geo results in precisely no picture being displayed (the sound is still audible).

Has anyone had any luck with other scalers or cunning cable adaptations?

On your mini go into the firmware and full stats. What is it syncing to? 240p or 241p?

d34dm34t
Jul 21, 2007

Apparently the input is 720x240p at 59.61Hz. The frequency is unique to the Neo Geo; every other console I've got syncs to exactly 50 or 60Hz.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

d34dm34t posted:

Apparently the input is 720x240p at 59.61Hz. The frequency is unique to the Neo Geo; every other console I've got syncs to exactly 50 or 60Hz.

Try playing with the sync level on the Framemeister. My MVS syncs at 720x241P @59.18Hz and for it to work properly I have to set V_WIDTH to 33 instead of 32 and my sync level higher

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm giving away a FREE PS2 to any retro goon who'll give it a good home. Totally working. No cords or controllers. You pay shipping though. US flat rate shipping would be $12.50.

Some assembly required.

e: Claimed by kynikos

liquid courage posted:

Speaking of controllers, I've been looking at Super Famicoms and came across this controller:

I know it's nearly the same as a regular Super Nintendo controller, but I just love that it has the mock speaker opening in the bottom right hand corner.

Any controller with Commander in the name is a quality controller. The fake speaker is pretty funny.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 1, 2013

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

d34dm34t posted:

The LM1881 may not be getting enough voltage from the Neo to operate. Is it being powered from the SCART connection, or does it have an external power cable?

I'm going to be experimenting with this myself soon, because I have the same problem.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
Some guy just posted a hacked Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball SNES rom with updated 2014 rosters and stats. He even updated each player's appearance to match. And, of course, Ken Griffey Jr. is no longer in his own game. I can't wait to get home and try this out on my Super Everdrive.

Here's the link on Reddit.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

flyboi posted:

I've mostly been screwing around with JP games lately so here's a starter for ya:
If you liked Adventures of Lolo the Japanese versions are completely different

Can you give a Cliff Notes version of the differences? I'm really curious about this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ReverendHammer posted:

Can you give a Cliff Notes version of the differences? I'm really curious about this.

This topic came up not too long ago, so I'll post what I posted then:

Lolo 1 is a US exclusive that contains a bunch of maps from the various Eggerland games for FDS/MSX

Lolo 2/3 are original games that were released in both the US and Japan but the Japanese versions are tougher - they introduce the more advanced objects/enemies earlier, and there are more of 'em, but the levels are broadly similar.

Lolo GB is the other way around - the JP version is pretty basic, but the EU version has three times as many levels, Super Game Boy support and a whole bunch of other junk that wasn't in the original release. (It also changes the BGM depending on the direction you're facing, which is really irritating once you notice it [sorry]).

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Regarding the Super Gameboy Commander, I think it'd be kinda cool to do something like this mod:

...but with the SGB Commander controller. Unfortunately, I don't think you'd be able to get the stuff with the clock speed to work on a Gameboy, at least not without installing one of the clock speed mod kits. (I could be wrong, this is mostly speculation on my part)

Agh, I need to get to a good stopping point with collecting Gameboy stuff so I can move on to Super Nintendo stuff. I just don't think I'm ready to make a jump to a system that's gonna have some exhorbitantly overpriced titles that I really want, because I feel like I can't justify paying in excess of $100-150 for some of the games I'd like to pick up.

liquid courage fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 1, 2013

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

liquid courage posted:

I just don't think I'm ready to make a jump to a system that's gonna have some exhorbitantly overpriced titles that I really want, because I feel like I can't justify paying in excess of $100-150 for some of the games I'd like to pick up.

Never look at Neo Geo stuff, then. Your entire worldview will change. After just buying MVS carts, $100-$150 seems cheap to me. I don't want to know what people who buy AES carts think.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

Never look at Neo Geo stuff, then. Your entire worldview will change. After just buying MVS carts, $100-$150 seems cheap to me. I don't want to know what people who buy AES carts think.

Well just go back like 10 pages and you can find out, with a sidebar on mame vs genuine arcade machines.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

al-azad posted:

NES games that never went to Japan? Destination Earthstar is one and it's a poor man's version of Star Raiders/Star Trek by Acclaim.

This was released in japan as Cosmo Genesis.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Caitlin posted:

GLEE :buddy:

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't checked that thread today! :neckbeard:

Geez. Not only do you restore Famicoms to the point they look GORGEOUS but you get the high score on one of my favorite goddamned videogames?

Is there anything you can't do?

Oh yeah, and in case anyone with a more old computer bent hasn't seen it, I have finally made that thread Vkeios has said I was gonna make:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352

It is all full of memories and information and mobile browser destroying timgs covering all sorts of crap, mostly from me at the moment.

It could especially use info from any of you MSX or other Japanese only computer folks. I don't even have the NEC PC 88/98 or Sharp X68000 as an entry because they are that bloody obscure to western gamers. And hell, it IS where Silpheed and Thexder and Sorcerian all came from.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Oh believe me, I've looked at consolized Neo Geos and carts... the most ridiculous thing I've seen on eBay was a listing for the complete collection of every Metal Slug game on every console for... I wanna say $200,000.

Edit: It's actually $299,999.99. Here's a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Met...=item43b477ed4f

liquid courage fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 1, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
That's just a brag listing but AES is not cheap for a full set.

Anyways, my Turbo Everdrive is possessed. I guess it's fitting considering it's Halloween.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUSx1xfNHzA
What makes this even more creepy is that I haven't played Heavy Unit in at least a month. The last game I played was Keith Courage :tinfoil:

Note that there is *NO loving SD CARD IN THE TURBO EVERDRIVE AT ALL*

It flat out wouldn't load a menu until I held I&II to reload the bios. All it would do is boot to that loving game.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 1, 2013

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Caitlin made the news on our games show in Australia (the only good show on Aus tv-the rest is mostly poo poo or behind everyone else in the world).

We should high five her and stuff.
http://feedly.com/k/HstLod

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

the_lion posted:

Caitlin made the news on our games show in Australia (the only good show on Aus tv-the rest is mostly poo poo or behind everyone else in the world).

We should high five her and stuff.
http://feedly.com/k/HstLod

Scroll up the page :ssh:.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

liquid courage posted:

Oh believe me, I've looked at consolized Neo Geos and carts... the most ridiculous thing I've seen on eBay was a listing for the complete collection of every Metal Slug game on every console for... I wanna say $200,000.

Edit: It's actually $299,999.99. Here's a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Met...=item43b477ed4f

Oh yeah, I've seen this rear end in a top hat before. It's the same guy that wanted $20K for Neo Turf Masters. A lot of my collecting friends and I had a good laugh over that one.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Mace Bacon posted:

This was released in japan as Cosmo Genesis.

Actually, Cosmo Genesis is the Japanese version of Star Voyager, but the similarities are so thick, I don't blame you.

d34dm34t
Jul 21, 2007

Wikipedia Brown posted:

The LM1881 may not be getting enough voltage from the Neo to operate. Is it being powered from the SCART connection, or does it have an external power cable?

I hadn't thought of that, it's cable powered and that could explain why I see nothing at all. I've ordered some LM1881s and will breadboad an externally powered sync stripper. Will report back with my results.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Question: anyone interested in a GIANT wall-of-text post on how to translate Famicom (and other) games (on a technical level, it won't be a Japanese lesson)?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Question: anyone interested in a GIANT wall-of-text post on how to translate Famicom (and other) games (on a technical level, it won't be a Japanese lesson)?

If you do I'll translate some simple, awful Famicom game that isn't text heavy. :v:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

univbee posted:

I would be super interested in that!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Awesome! I'll try to get it out tonight, I already have the text body essentially done but before posting I want to find working links to some tools and get some screen grabs of the process.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

univbee posted:

Yep, definitely. I have some experience with different assembly languages and a little bit of experience with 6502 on the C64 but I'm completely ignorant of the tools available for modifying Famicom/Nes stuff.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I have a small time ROM hacking background and making table files etc has always been a thorn in my side. A hearty YES PLS.

Maybe I'll do an effort post about editing graphics and colors. That or some more fine Sonic hacks.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 1, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

univbee posted:

I would be super duper interested in this, yes. I tried messing about with a SNES game or two when I was in my early teens, but I never got very far.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

I would be super duper interested in this, yes. I tried messing about with a SNES game or two when I was in my early teens, but I never got very far.

My technique should be applicable to SNES games as long as they're not some of the really late ones that started employing compression/encryption and the like (e.g. Star Ocean, Seiken Densetsu 3). It may also be really tricky if the game has a lot of Kanji, might require some extra steps in that case.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I always wanted to "port" Link's Awakening to the SNES using the Link to the Past engine. This upcoming mega-post might make this idea of mine ~come true~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Hi welcome to my ROM hacking companion effortpost. Sorry to beat you to the chase univbee, I couldn't resist. :v: Today we will be talking about what is numbers, how to draw a dick on your NES sprites, and how to play as your very own fan character recolor!

If you are just here to see a tour of the process then grab some food and scroll quickly through this numbers stuff. If you want to hack along with this post you should! You will need some tools though:
- Windows or a Windows Tiny XP virtual machine.
- A tile editor. Tile Layer Pro is a popular choice but it has a lot of limitations. Tile Molester is also popular and has many options but runs in Java and is gross and clunky as a result.
- An NES emulator with a PPU viewer. I recommend an entry in the FCEU series like FCEUXD-SP

An introduction to hex
Humans grew up with ten fingers and in our decimal number system there are ten numbers from 1 to 10. But what if it were different? :catdrugs: What if we were counting in binary and there were only two numbers from 1 to 10? The 10 in binary is the same as our 2.
So with hexadecimal there are 16 numbers from 1 to 10. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and then it needs a new character which is A. This is followed by B, C, D, E, and then F which is the highest single-digit “number” in hexadecimal, even though it’s our 15. The highest two-digit hexadecimal number is FF or 255, which might sound familiar to you.
When software is compiled from its source it becomes a heap of data and machine code instructions in big piles of binary numbers called files. A ROM is a game’s read-only memory backed up to a file.

There are a myriad of reasons why we choose to view the 1s and 0s as hex instead of binary or decimal. It’s practical, comfortable, and more in tune with the spacing and storage of the way this stuff really is than decimal. You’re going to see a lot of hexadecimal, get used to it!

It’s common to put a $ sign or a 0x in front of a hexadecimal number. From now on if a number is in hexadecimal format I will put 0x in front of it so if you see 0x10 then it’s our 16. 0xA is our 10, 0xF is our 15, 0x9 is 9 in decimal.

Palettes and the pretty colors.

A palette is this thing an artist holds:

Now imagine that the graphics chip is holding this block of numbers that is pretty much that; the colors it uses to draw the graphics on screen according to the number of each graphic tile. We’ll get to graphics tiles (but not their numbers) later. Palettes are just an easily searchable and editable strip of hexadecimal numbers that the system will interpret as colors.

For the purpose of this guide I’m going to focus on NES. NES is an easy place to start because of its limited and easy to find palettes. Here is a chart from an old guide of every color the NES is capable of and its numeric value:

The exact steps I’m going to go through won’t work for every NES game. It’ll work for most though.

First back up your ROM and open it up in FCEUGX9x_64 or whatever. Explore the menus and open up the PPU viewer and the Hex Editor. In the Hex Editor note that you can view the NES memory, PPU memory, or the ROM. You are interested in all of these. You can also load a .tbl file which you might remember from univbee’s post

In the PPU viewer you can hover over the colors and it will tell you what it is. Somewhere in here are the colors of the thing that you want to change the colors of. I want to change the colors of the main character. Usually it’s just in the PPU viewer once but I see it here twice, no matter!

Using the built-in hex editor we can change the values that represent the colors in the PPU or in the RAM to see how the recolor looks in real time. When I’m satisfied I can change the same values in the ROM data and just save the ROM like that. All within the emulator!

In the screenshot above my ‘cursor’ is hovering over a nice fleshy pink with a value of 0x25.
The three colors together that comprise the character and appear twice for some reason are 0x2A, 0x26, and 0x30. Together that's 0x2A2630.
If we do a search for this number in the hex editor looking at the PPU it comes up quite a lot. Changing the first instance to numbers hand-picked from the chart above doesn’t do anything. Looking at the PPU viewer shows it had an effect so maybe it changed the color of bubbles or item pickups or something. Changing the second instance yields the expected results though.

Any changes to the PPU in this are temporary. Change the view in the hex editor to ROM and see if the same colors turn up. As long as I search without a black on either end I seem to find this palette eight times in the whole ROM. The prudent way to determine the correct one would be trial and error. But right now I only care about getting a ROM where I play as the red bubble bobble so I changed all eight.

And that’s a wrap! Time to hit the colored pencils and take deviantART by storm with your Original Character. Or maybe writing is more your thing?

Graphics and Tiles

But you take your Bubble Bobble fannon very seriously and your fan character is usually in his human form but can still shoot bubbles like a dragon. So you’re going to replace his graphics as well as his colors.

Many sprites in games that need to be loaded quickly are uncompressed. This makes them really structured and accessible usually. Open Super Mario Brothers in Tile Layer Pro. Look at how the graphics are structured and familiarize yourself with the tools to draw a wang on a character.

So I opened Tile Layer Pro and opened three files: Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, and a blank “clip board” file full of 0x00s. you can make something like this by copying black squares in a junk ROM in TLP. Anyway in both game ROMs I scrolled through until I found the art (- and = keys to bit-adjust) which like most NES games was not compressed. The sprites are stored a little different in the two games but it’ll work out. The first step is to piece both together in the clipboard ROM. This may sound or look intimidating but it’s just a lot of click and drag.

So the sprites are the same size. I could start putting the new tiles from the clip board on the appropriate spots in the Bubble Bobble ROM but because they are facing opposite directions by default his sprites would be backwards all the time. So I have to flip those Rainbow Island sprites horizontally.

Then it’s a simple matter of tastefully replacing the original ROM’s graphics.

And then to test it.

Huh that’s weird. Looking through the ROM’s graphics there are more sprites for the main characters. Looks like we changed a set of unused graphics!

That’s more like it. But it still needs some tweaking.

There! Original Character do not steal! After moving around a little art that I didn’t get quite right it’s functional. Just think of the 16x16 sprites you could swap.

For reference, here is an end result of the ROM.

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/0BSJQD26/

And that’s basic graphics editing on NES. The premise is surprisingly similar on SMS, Genesis, SNES, and even GBA.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 2, 2013

• Locked thread