Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

superv0zz posted:

I second the maintenance comment on that uhaul.. I could easily put that much plywood in the back of my pickup truck and I wouldn't have that problem. If it was stacked to the roof maybe, but that's only like 15 or 20 sheets of plywood..

edit: the door of a uhaul is only about 7 feet-ish wide. So those aren't full sheets of 4x8 of plywood.

It was stacked to the roof. That was post removal of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

kastein posted:

It's probably not lovely design, probably lovely maintenance. Bumpstops/jounce pads are great till you don't inspect or repair them ever and the rubber block comes off the metal backing, then they get noticeably shorter.

Don't forget Uhaul has lower decks and poo poo than a standard boxtruck.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

anonumos posted:

Even properly designed, you do realize it's still possible to overload it to the point of...well...that.

User error.

User correct. It's a rental truck. You beat it like a red headed step child (if you've taken the damage waiver).

This is why we all scream about DON'T BUY A FORMER RENTAL.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InterceptorV8 posted:

Don't forget Uhaul has lower decks and poo poo than a standard boxtruck.

Don't some of them also have air suspension that lowers for unloading? That could certainly be at play here.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Have you guys never driven a uhaul? I don't think maintenance is something that exsists in that company. At least not on the I've driven.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Motronic posted:

User correct. It's a rental truck. You beat it like a red headed step child (if you've taken the damage waiver).

Yeah but I think once your hooning leads to a truck full of plywood catching fire you might've gone a bit too far.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

Have you guys never driven a uhaul? I don't think maintenance is something that exsists in that company. At least not on the I've driven.

I drove one from Syracuse, NY to Philadelphia, PA once. It was one of the most horrifying experiences of my life.

The steering wheel shook violently at any speed above 35mph. It caused your hands to go numb after about 20 minutes.

The steering wheel also seemed to have only an indirect relationship with the way the truck turned. Turning it left would eventually cause it to go left, in the same way a boat has a delay between those two inputs.

The vinyl seats were repaired at some point using thick plastic sheeting and a staple gun, the loose staples tore at our clothes and bare legs. The blood helped keep the plastic sheeting from sticking to our skin in the August heat (there was no air conditioning)

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

ExplodingSims posted:

The problem is that the company is a partial franchise. Rent from large centers for cross country trips and say you prefer the newer models. I have had trucks with 1000 miles on them plenty of times. Do not rent from gas stations or lovely car lots.

The intowns are hosed of course, they get just enough maintenance to haul your lovely couch down 5 blocks.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
My favorite things about U-Hauls are the bent driveshafts and fragged U-joints. If you ever get one that doesn't do huge thunks on decel and accel, holy poo poo, go buy a lotto ticket.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Godholio posted:

Yeah but I think once your hooning leads to a truck full of plywood catching fire you might've gone a bit too far.

You're doing it wrong.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

A friend of mine bought one (one of the old 7.3 N/A based ones) to turn into a toy hauler and redneck camper for 4-wheeling trips. It is slower than poo poo but he has had zero problems with it, and he got it for a goddamn steal. IIRC under $500.

Also, I have literally never had a problem with a uhaul rental, and some of them were well under 20k miles. The 17 footers drift nicely in snow if you're lightly loaded, by the way. I took one down my favorite paved hooning road on the way to my house and got it a little sideways around some corners (didn't dare go much harder on it) but sadly did not manage to get it airborne.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Polymerized Cum posted:

I drove one from Syracuse, NY to Philadelphia, PA once. It was one of the most horrifying experiences of my life.

The steering wheel shook violently at any speed above 35mph. It caused your hands to go numb after about 20 minutes.

The steering wheel also seemed to have only an indirect relationship with the way the truck turned. Turning it left would eventually cause it to go left, in the same way a boat has a delay between those two inputs.

The vinyl seats were repaired at some point using thick plastic sheeting and a staple gun, the loose staples tore at our clothes and bare legs. The blood helped keep the plastic sheeting from sticking to our skin in the August heat (there was no air conditioning)

I think you and I must driven the same truck at some point then. The last truck I got from them it shook at anything close to traffic speeds, and you had to push the brake pedal like all the way to the floor to do light braking. The best part though, the steering. It was so super floaty, and to go straight you had to hold the wheel to the right. At one point I was going around a soft left bend and had the wheel tilted to the right. That was a fun truck.

Mine had air though, I can imagine driving one without, I can't imagine they breathe well.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
There's plenty of pictures of tortured brakes in here, but it takes some special kind of awful to pull this off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I always rent from Penske... the equipment has always been in good shape and with my AAA discount they're not a whole lot more expensive than the uhaul garbage.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

I think you and I must driven the same truck at some point then. The last truck I got from them it shook at anything close to traffic speeds, and you had to push the brake pedal like all the way to the floor to do light braking. The best part though, the steering. It was so super floaty, and to go straight you had to hold the wheel to the right. At one point I was going around a soft left bend and had the wheel tilted to the right. That was a fun truck.

Mine had air though, I can imagine driving one without, I can't imagine they breathe well.

I popped the hood to check the oil about halfway through the journey. I didn't give a gently caress about the longevity of the motor, but I certainly didn't want to be stuck in rural PA on a sweltering day with a bitchy girlfriend and a truckload of her belongings on a highway.

The plastic grippy part of the dipstick had broken off, which means one would have to use pliers or similar to actually remove the dipstick. I will leave it as an exercise to the reader whether I or anyone else performed this task recently.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

`Nemesis posted:

I always rent from Penske... the equipment has always been in good shape and with my AAA discount they're not a whole lot more expensive than the uhaul garbage.

I must have had odd experiences.

Rented Penske once to move cross country. Windshield was cracked and we were told by the rental place that we had to take it as is because it was the only truck available (unless we wanted to downsize to one half the length). A complaint to corporate got it replaced in my sister's driveway while we were packing. Half way along the way, the truck threw a CEL. After waiting for 2.5 hours on the side of the highway for the service guy, it turns out the coolant was low. The limiter was set to 70, which was really 65 according to timing mile markers. Speed limit most of the way was 75.

I rented a Uhual pickup truck and car trailer to pick up a car that wasn't running right the next town over, and everything was brand new. Helped two of my friends move across town in Uhual trucks, and they seemed to be in better shape than the Penske truck.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Some friends asked me to drive a U-haul to a place 6 hours away. When I'd get to about 55mph the right mirror would fold in. This usually occurred when I was in the left lane passing an even slower truck. Sliding over to roll down the window and push the mirror out was an interesting maneuver that I got pretty good at since I had no tools to tighten up the connections.

crazycatlady75
Nov 1, 2013

Somewhat Heroic posted:

What happens when the Uhaul truck is overloaded with plywood? It bottoms out the suspension and the tires rubbing on the wheel well catch fire. This was after some of the stuff in the back was unloaded.

Notice the unhappy box bottom left. "Man...why the hell always me? *cough cough* Tires stink when burning can't someone get me something good for a change??"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My last U-Haul was an in-town. Still, middle of August, specifically requested a 17 footer with a/c. I didn't really NEED a 17 footer, but I knew the 17s tended to be better maintained.

They handed me the keys to a 1988 10 foot (this was in 2006) and pulled the usual "sorry, we sold out before you showed up" (I reserved 2 weeks in advance). When I walk up to it, I notice the "A/C" letters had been peeled off of the door. It had an a/c button, and a fan switch. The fan blew hot air, the a/c button made the entire truck lurch and stall with a bit of smoke from under the hood (I assume the compressor was seized). Odometer showed far north of 300,000 (Toyota pickup based platform). Actually, just looking at anything on the dash make it stall; I have no idea how the starter and battery survived my 50 mile rental. It blew a huge cloud of black smoke anytime I looked at the gas pedal, if it didn't stall. It also had a rather nasty sounding rod knock, and pretty much nothing showing on the oil dipstick (and tar dripping off of the trans dipstick).

It was supposedly full when I picked it up (I verified this by opening the tank, it was indeed full); by my math when I filled it back up, I got a whopping 3 mpg.

This was from a supposed "corporate" U-Haul center (one of the giant ones with 3-4 stories of self storage).

At the other end of the scale, I drove a Penske from El Paso to DFW in 1997. The odometer showed less than 500 miles when we picked up the truck... and it broke down near Midland. Sort of. The check engine light popped on, then started flashing around the time it started blowing black smoke from the exhaust (and once that started, it could barely hit ~50 mph). Penske referred us to a truck service center; I pulled in, they laughed and said they had no idea how gasoline engines worked (they'd sent us to a big rig place); all they could do was reset the ECU and send us on our way (ran fine the rest of the way, no loving idea what happened - brand new 1997 GMC chassis). Even with that, I still managed 7-8 MPG in a fully loaded 17 or 20 footer with a V8 gasser over about 700 miles... vs the 3 mpg in a moderately loaded V6 10 footer.

crazycatlady75 posted:

Notice the unhappy box bottom left. "Man...why the hell always me? *cough cough* Tires stink when burning can't someone get me something good for a change??"

Suddenly, I can't unsee the super skinny penis.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 1, 2013

crazycatlady75
Nov 1, 2013

some texas redneck posted:

Suddenly, I can't unsee the super skinny penis.
Well now I can't unsee it either, gee thanks for telling me it's a super skinny penis. I thought it was a thick one

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I was in a Hummer following a 5 ton truck at Ft Bragg. Two of the scrawniest deer North Carolina has ever produced, decided to 'Goodbye cruel world!" by running into the rear wheel well of said 5ton.

When the convoy stopped we had to hose deer pulp off of our hood and the complete underside of the truck. The truck driver never noticed his rear wheels had become a deer frappe maker until we stold him what happened. After we stopped gagging and laughing of course.

It looked like somebody had pushed the deer through a blender and then sprayed it through a firehose. Biggest piece of anything solid I saw was a bone fragment about 2" long.

A few years back, I was going through the Rants / Raves section of my town's Craigslist and someone had posted a picture of their 18-Wheeler after an encounter with a deer on the interstate. I've had the picture saved in my random car pictures folder ever since. They really do explode when something that huge hits them:

http://i.imgur.com/qiI243R.jpg linked in case you don't like blood. Not sure what's going up the hood and windshield though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That would be fur and poop.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Deer hold a lot of poop. Being ungulates I guess they have to store and digest a large volume of plant matter to survive. They basically eat the otherwise inedible.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

crazycatlady75 posted:

Well now I can't unsee it either, gee thanks for telling me it's a super skinny penis. I thought it was a thick one

Oh good I'm not the only one who sees that in the amazon logo

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Ulfhednar posted:

A few years back, I was going through the Rants / Raves section of my town's Craigslist and someone had posted a picture of their 18-Wheeler after an encounter with a deer on the interstate. I've had the picture saved in my random car pictures folder ever since. They really do explode when something that huge hits them:

http://i.imgur.com/qiI243R.jpg linked in case you don't like blood. Not sure what's going up the hood and windshield though.

If I remember correctly, it was a cow.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/20462595/photo-boise-states-equipment-truck-hit-a-cow

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I have a Thunderstruck bumper on the front of my Dodge pickup. So far I've killed two deer, two buzzards, a coyote and several small birds with it.

My buddy Johnboy has a similar truck with a ranch hand bumper on the front. He smoked a good sized eight point buck about a hundred yards down the road from my house last week. I heard him do it, 65 and he never lifted off the power. Not much left of the deer and no damage to the truck.

1000-1500 bucks for a good heavy duty replacement bumper is very cheap compared to the losing your truck for a week or two at the body shop and having to pay your deductible a couple times.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

anonumos posted:

Even properly designed, you do realize it's still possible to overload it to the point of...well...that.

User error.

Properly designed there should be no circumstances where the wheel rubs the body, barring suspension failure. If what you described were true hitting a bump would lock the wheels against the body, causing a spin/crash of some kind.

E: last time I rented a van I got a delivery miles Volkswagen transporter with ac, a bitchin sound system and all electric leather seats. I asked if it should be run in before I had it, the guy told me to beat twelve bells of poo poo out of it :getin:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 1, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Used Sunlight sales posted:

I have a Thunderstruck bumper on the front of my Dodge pickup. So far I've killed two deer, two buzzards, a coyote and several small birds with it.

My buddy Johnboy has a similar truck with a ranch hand bumper on the front. He smoked a good sized eight point buck about a hundred yards down the road from my house last week. I heard him do it, 65 and he never lifted off the power. Not much left of the deer and no damage to the truck.

1000-1500 bucks for a good heavy duty replacement bumper is very cheap compared to the losing your truck for a week or two at the body shop and having to pay your deductible a couple times.

On the other hand, a moose will still gently caress you up.

But yes, once you have a bush bumper, deer are just soft bags full of poo poo and blood. (linked for said poo poo and blood)

i.imgur.com/AH1GG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TuGDn.jpg

This is technically a mechanical failure. The deer was running well then it just fell apart! :haw:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 1, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

gently caress you strut mount.

The strut with mount was actually pushed into the cover for the wheel well. The bottom bit with ball joint bent as I was extracting it and bits of something crumbled off. Not happy. Tomorrow will have to be a welding day.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Just sharing this from the D&D picture thread. I think there's still something fuzzy left down at the bottom.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

thylacine posted:

Just sharing this from the D&D picture thread. I think there's still something fuzzy left down at the bottom.

Imagine being a passenger at the next station when gore-train pulls up...

:catstare:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Imagine being a passenger at the next station when gore-train pulls up...

:catstare:

I was on a train that killed 3 people, they didn't let us off to go look at it though. We were stopped for four or five hours outside of New Orleans while they hosed it off. Some dip-poo poo with his kids tried to beat the train through an un-controlled crossing. Still made it to Chicago on-time, somehow.

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

thylacine posted:

I was on a train that killed 3 people, they didn't let us off to go look at it though. We were stopped for four or five hours outside of New Orleans while they hosed it off. Some dip-poo poo with his kids tried to beat the train through an un-controlled crossing. Still made it to Chicago on-time, somehow.

I was on a train standing in the front section when someone decided to commit suicide by standing on the traintracks with his bicycle, i was told the crunching sounds were from the bicycle mostly, but who knows right?
The fire department hosed the front off and picked up the largest parts, the next station was closed when we disembarked, the front of the train looked like someone threw raw stringy meat at it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Customer concerned bad smell from front of car

Unrelated

Idiots went to the trouble of taking out the drivetrain and towing it there before burning it, they could've taken the wheels for a few extra :10bux: as well.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 2, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Cakefool posted:

Properly designed there should be no circumstances where the wheel rubs the body, barring suspension failure. If what you described were true hitting a bump would lock the wheels against the body, causing a spin/crash of some kind.

Don't underestimate stupid. A lot of otherwise sound and reasonable designs will bow out under enough weight (assuming they don't collapse first), enough to bring the tops of the wheels into contact with the sides of the body. :frogbon:

arpa
Oct 9, 2012

Well I know I'm not very smart nor very well versed in automobile mechanics, but what part of a car (engine?) am I looking at? Thanks.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Pretty sure that is an AC compressor

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah I had no stinking clue myself.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
It's an AC compressor. A swash plate rides in the C cutouts of each piston. Many compressors use double sided pistons with the swash plate in the middle, to create a boxer-style arrangement.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

You know, all my life I've been around car parts. My dad was a certified master tech, used to rebuild carbs on the kitchen table. I sort of apprenticed under him in high school, worked in a few shops, and have done all my own vehicle maintenance for 18 years. Until now I didn't know how an A/C compressor worked internally. Just one of those things you take for granted. My mind is blown.