Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Is it known to cause AVs to freak out? NOD32 just flagged roguepaint.exe as a virus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

I can build any of the ingredients in a few minutes; they're all guaranteed, but it takes game knowledge that I don't think anyone has really amassed yet. The diseases are pretty brutal, and can be game-enders, especially if you don't have encyclopedic knowledge of the game. It's certainly a *lot* easier to avoid the disease than it is to cure it; and that's sort of the design intention, if you don't prepare/go in aware, it's going to be sad times. (That said, we might approach it differently these days, but that's the way it is ;))

There really needs to be something in game pointing you toward the guaranteed sources if it's so game ending.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Skwee posted:

Well I just ran into a seriously hosed up situation.. I can't get to the second level of the rust caves because a slumberling is on the staircase below me.. There is also a slumberling on the first level, it says it is impossible difficulty, so I left it the hell alone. First time I've seen those guys.

e: okay so I just kept hitting go down and eventually it died.. Guess it didn't wake up.. Sweet 525 xp pinata.

I haven't played for some time but slumberlings were diehard fuckers, better not to press your luck next time, to be honest.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dis astranagant posted:

There really needs to be something in game pointing you toward the guaranteed sources if it's so game ending.

More to the point, Nethack-style "spoiler or die" mechanics are awful in general.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
It's a work in progress, so some wonkiness is to be expected. Diseases could definitely use a revision though, as could the really bizarre temperature mechanics that lead to instant death by sauna if anyone uses fire around water or inescapable perma-freeze.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

I haven't played for some time but slumberlings were diehard fuckers, better not to press your luck next time, to be honest.

Slumberlings are giant packets of free experience if you can kite them, which most reasonably built Espers or physical mutation-casters can.

Of course they're both harder to find and more risky than doing the same thing with Equimaxes, but when the opportunity presents itself... v:shobon:v

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."

Protocol 5 posted:

really bizarre temperature mechanics

I miss the good old days when throwing a torch would burn down an entire dungeon level...

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Slumberlings are giant packets of free experience if you can kite them, which most reasonably built Espers or physical mutation-casters can.

Of course they're both harder to find and more risky than doing the same thing with Equimaxes, but when the opportunity presents itself... v:shobon:v

The only time I killed a Slumberling I didn't know what I was doing. At least in that instance I was able to wail on it until it died and it never woke up. It might be due to the fact that my individual hits were super-weak.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

lordfrikk posted:

There was no other way for me to progress the game that I know of. I even threw two grenades at the stairwell in order to try and help kill it. No idea if they actually damaged it at all though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ummm, I don't think the 12 gauge shotgun is supposed to do 100d200 damage :stare:

E: oh, too many projectile blueprints running into each other there.

Something that kind of annoys me: there's no indication of which letter or number each tinkering bit is if you have that option set. The tinkering screen only differentiates them by color. I'm not colorblind but it's easier to remember what a 1 and an A are vs what 2 shades of red represent.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 1, 2013

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Something that kind of annoys me: there's no indication of which letter or number each tinkering bit is if you have that option set. The tinkering screen only differentiates them by color. I'm not colorblind but it's easier to remember what a 1 and an A are vs what 2 shades of red represent.

Ah, that's just a bug. I should fix it!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What determines which tinkering skill you need for which item? Is it a some field in ObjectBlueprints.xml or a hardcoded list somewhere?

E: something seems to have stuck my DV at -16. I have 20 agility and only -3 in armor penalties so I don't know what gives.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 1, 2013

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

What determines which tinkering skill you need for which item? Is it a some field in ObjectBlueprints.xml or a hardcoded list somewhere?

It's based on the highest level of bit used in the recipe for the item.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So ABCD1234 for 1, 56 for 2 and 78 for 3?

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 1, 2013

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

So ABCD1234 for 1, 56 for 2 and 78 for 3?

Yup; just counts the highest bits. Note that the bit cost is slightly randomized from game to game, so there a small amount of variation in tiers from game to game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Not really an expert either, I'm just trying to play with numbers and make them look bigger.

e: CoQ
I like the numbers on my CoQ big, too.

I'm so sorry

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ADOM just had another public prerelease if anyone's interested.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

Yup; just counts the highest bits. Note that the bit cost is slightly randomized from game to game, so there a small amount of variation in tiers from game to game.

Ah, so that's why there's just a bunch of Os for bit costs in the blueprints. I'm not sure I've even seen a 5+ that wasn't the guaranteed ubernostrum or the time one of my water merchants started with a small sphere of negative weight.

e: welp, died when I didn't notice a glowmoth making GBS threads all over me. Dragonflies and glowcrows kinda train you to not pay attention to flying crap. Started over without two headed this time, replacing it and the thick fur space filler I had with disintegration because carapace + disintegration = lots and lots of fun.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 2, 2013

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

TOOT BOOT posted:

ADOM just had another public prerelease if anyone's interested.

I haven't played ADOM in years and I really like some of these changes, like the mouse support and how enemies have health bars now. Has anything significant changed in the gameplay?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Things were going so well with IVAN. Got to Attam, had some decent gear, bought freed a slave, then

hopped on a mine.

:negative:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

voting third party posted:

I haven't played ADOM in years and I really like some of these changes, like the mouse support and how enemies have health bars now. Has anything significant changed in the gameplay?

By and large it's still the same as old ADOM just better/more polished. The most notable additions were two new races and two new classes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

spider wisdom posted:

Things were going so well with IVAN. Got to Attam, had some decent gear, bought freed a slave, then

hopped on a mine.

:negative:

Your gear was terrible. Levitation is a requirement.

Back to Qudchat: anyone have much experience with the Burgeoning mutation? I have the choice of it, double muscled and mostly redundant burrowing claws.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 2, 2013

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

dis astranagant posted:

IT WAS DECENT TO ME OKAY

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So does CoQ have a graphical interface yet?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Another fun thing for making early Qud a little less annoying: most of the people of Joppa will sell huge stacks of vinewafers for a penny each. Weightless food for little effort!

e: hahhahahahahahaha found a goddamn eigenrifle in a chest in the upper parts of Grit Gate. I guess I get to laser while I laser now.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 2, 2013

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

nucleicmaxid posted:

So does CoQ have a graphical interface yet?

It does have graphical interface, but if you mean tile support then the answer is no, and according to Unormal it probably won't ever be implemented. They're more likely to do another roguelike with tile support being a feature right from the start.

Unormal posted:

Likely we wouldn't do tile-set support in Qud, but rather a new Qud-world game with graphics specifically in mind.

Unormal posted:

You'd need more support for the engine to make it work, and I just never did it. The character->item mapping isn't close 1:1 so you can't just replace letters with object images. I didn't really care much about tile-set support when I wrote the first pass of the engine. I was trying for the best 16-color ascii ever. :D

Unormal posted:

Probably not. We're more likely to do a full-blown graphical roguelike that's actually built for whatever media it's targeted for (PC/Mobile/etc) than go back and entirely re-do CoQ for tiles.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 2, 2013

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

dis astranagant posted:

You can survive with fire resistance. I've set off three adjacent land mines with just a cloak of FR on and survived it. That being said, FR, levitation, or a ring of searching and a lot of patience is pretty much a must have for Gloomy Caves.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is there any way to mess with the amount of mutation points a mutant starts? I'd like to play around with some more interesting combinations without having to take crippling defects/use a debug mode.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is there any way to mess with the amount of mutation points a mutant starts? I'd like to play around with some more interesting combinations without having to take crippling defects/use a debug mode.

No, but Ravenous gives you 3 mutation points (for 15 total) and is at worst a minor annoyance, especially if you're high str. Just kill glowfish and glowpads till you get 20 of their corpses early, and that will last you a very long time; if you take Butchery and go to the Rusted Arch, there are OBSCENE numbers of boars there that will give you Boar Meat which is 1 pound and, while nowhere near as good as glow corpses, will let you travel easily for minimal weight. I usually end up keeping a stash of meat there just cause there's so much.

Cold-Blooded is only 2 MP, but it's also pretty alright, especially if you go Carapace as well (and max the carapace quickly so you get its ridiculous +45/+45 heat/cold resist). You'll still get affected by temperatures, but you can also do things like coat an area with fire (from the source of your choice, be it fire hands or a thermal grenade) and walk through it for a quickness boost since you're cold blooded. On the downside, if you're not quick about killing groups of ice frogs, you're probably going to die if anything else comes around with the ice frogs (like goatman savages). The ice frogs themselves do very little non-cold damage though, so your carapace will soak virtually all of their damage.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I'm still having a lot of trouble getting past level 4/5. I usually take carapace, flaming or freezing hands, and try to mix in one other big mutation(I've been messing around with some of the 5 point mental ones) and then thick fur/night vision if I have the extra. I don't really know what Calling I should be picking so I'm basically just going random for that one, and my stat investment has been 18 in almost everything except Strength which I usually put at 16.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

One of things I like about Qud that a lot of other roguelikes lack is the ability to make multiple characters. Going to New Game doesn't wipe my old character, so I can mess around with multiple builds at once. Please never change that, Unormal!

Bob NewSCART posted:

I'm still having a lot of trouble getting past level 4/5. I usually take carapace, flaming or freezing hands, and try to mix in one other big mutation(I've been messing around with some of the 5 point mental ones) and then thick fur/night vision if I have the extra. I don't really know what Calling I should be picking so I'm basically just going random for that one, and my stat investment has been 18 in almost everything except Strength which I usually put at 16.

Do you remember some of the things that have killed you?

I usually go 18 in all physical attributes, 18 in Ego (specifically because I choose Water Merchant 90% of the time, so 18 is the most I can get without starting to spend 2 points per 1 Ego and then the 2 Ego from Water Merchant becomes even better) and I leave Willpower at 10. Granted, my highest level is only ~26, but I've never reached a mental mutation guy who killed me in a way that made me say "drat I wish I had higher Mental Armor" which is what Willpower does for you. Also, if you're playing an Esper (mental mutations only) or even just mostly mental mutations, Willpower's cooldown reduction is nowhere near as good as having a high Ego; if your Ego modifier if +4 or more, then it's actually more cost effective to spend 4 MP on a new power and hope it's mental (which it ALWAYS will be if you're an Esper) than to level an existing one, because you'll get a new power at level 5+ (1 + at least 4 from your 4+ ego modifier) which means you get an extra tool altogether, which is much better than a couple of turns shaved off your existing 30-100+ cooldown skills.

However. Espers are really loving hard, at least for me, because I cannot resist the urge to punch things in the face, sometimes using my own face (horns). If you want to just live past 5 and kill the poo poo out of things on the way, this build is still good:

18 all physical attributes
16-18 Ego, your pick
At least 16 int for skills
Leave Willpower at 10
Dump remaining points in Str for extra overall melee power, Agi for melee accuracy + guns (Rifles are STUPID good and with just 150 skill points you get all you really need from rifle unless you wanna get crazy) or Toughness if you plan on being a lump of HP.

Mutations: Several schools of thought here. I'll go over the melee builds I use.

Carapace (4) + Horns (3) + Burrowing Claws (2) + Night Vision (1) + Regeneration (5) + Ravenous (+3) = Free armor build! Get level 2 carapace asap for +4 av, then level 3 Horns for +1 av, and level 5 claws for +2av. Leave regen at 1, max Carapace next, then Horns for extra melee damage, and lastly Claws to dig through EVERYTHING. Level 9 claws can be rushed if you like to explore and grind a lot, because level 7-ish lets you dig through Fulcrete decent, level 9 much faster, and level 10 will even let you dig through Chrome walls (afaik the toughest walls). Even bigger stuff that breaks armor doesn't matter, because this all heals. This build also helps pure fighters as well as tinker-fighters; you can still use all the weapons you find and have a back-slot open for things like mechanical wings or mechanical arms. Basically, the only armor you have to worry about is shoes, which is why I liked this build a lot. Good backgrounds for this build are Marauder, Gunslinger, Warden, and (kind of advanced/heavy on grinding/scumming the game) Water Merchant for a shot to buy a carbide weapon in Joppa if Tam is carrying one, as well as making HUGE amounts of money to fuel Tinkering. IMO, Water Merchant isn't worth it if you aren't an Esper or a Tinker, so I'd go low-int and pick Marauder, Gunslinger, Warden, or any fighter-class of your choice so you can explore and see more of the world.

Carapace (4) + Night Vision (1) + Multiple Legs (5) + Regeneration (5) + Ravenous (+3) = Speedy, tanky, and regenerating. Leave Regen at level 1 pretty much forever, max Carapace first, alternating with Multiple Legs. You can be melee early, don't be afraid to run (you don't need to sprint and you'll outrun most things thanks to Multiple Legs) and your regen will let you heal a LOT while you run. Sprinting makes you zoom. This lets you get in hits in melee, run, and gun.

Double-Muscled (4) + Night Vision (1) + Multiple Legs (5) + Regeneration (5) + Ravenous (+3) = What's a carry weight limitation? This build focuses on maxing Double-Muscled and Multiple Legs asap. Multiple Legs cancels out the speed penalty from Double-Muscled and still gives you a hefty +20-30 net speed gain, so you still go fast; Double-Muscled means you can take the high-str melee skills if you desire (I recommend Axes, personally) and it also makes EVERY melee hit have a chance to stun. Very drat nifty, and stuns very often. You have to get your own armor, but the biggest drawback of armor (the weight) is mitigated by Multiple Legs' carryweight bonus.

On both of the above builds, you can technically skip Regeneration. It's not THAT good, and the speed bonus means you can kite to regen anyway. I like Regen because it cuts down on time spent healing, and sometimes I need to kite a monster while healing so that their mental abilities don't cool down (like anyone with Siphon Vim or whatever, where it has a 100 or 200 cooldown but it lasts for 20 turns and due to low Willpower, hits like a truck, so I have to run while he drains my life and I regen + salve). However, even without Regen, I've beaten those same fights.

Regardless of build, get Tactics + Charge (200 sp total) asap if you're planning on playing melee, because you'll want to be able to close gaps against things like Spitting Vines and (much more important) Chain Turrets (note: chain turrets will gently caress you up pointblank too, and will probably kill you anyway until you get at least 7+ AV, at which point they will still probably kill you but you can probably kill them first with a charge + a few whacks).

Get Butchery if you struggle for food, but as I keep spamming: just kill the glowpads and glowfish around Joppa. One benefit that I forgot about is that there's a random event in the watervine marshes which I've seen on like, 3/15 of my last games where 'You find some flattened remains.' This is a guaranteed set of broken mechanical wings that you can repair at Argyve's for 5 water, identify, and wear to use much less food while travelling on the overmap (as long as you remember to press a > fly before moving on the world map, and you can enter fly mode while already on the world map too). They don't work indoors or underground, but that's fine, you have the carryweight from multiple legs.

Make it a priority to get some kind of ranged weapon that's better than a bow or musket. Check the Joppa shop often; when you see an ~11 pound weird artifact (you can check the weight by selecting it as if you'd buy it, your weight will update in the lower right of the trade screen) that's pretty expensive (I can't give you an estimate, I forget what it costs without water merchant; with water merchant and ~20 ego, it's like ~140 water, so probably 200-400 without it) that's almost certainly a Carbine, which is imo the best early/midgame ranged weapon (holds 24 rounds, shoots in 3 round bursts, gets the Kickback bonus which means if you use it pointblank you have a very high chance to kick them back) and will let you hunt Equimaxes like they aren't a danger at all.

Grit Gate is imo a huge priority because it's a reliable shop that you can teleport to that carries 100-200+ bullets every time you go there; if you're melee, you'll probably stockpile bullets, but if you get a carbine (or even a desert rifle) and use it a lot (guns are very, very safe, limited only by ammo) then you'll definitely want to get here. The best way is:

1) Do all of Argyve's quests first till he gives you the Canticle of Barathrum quest, or whatever it's called, where he gives you the Droid Scrambler
2) Optionally, do Red Rock next if you really need the levels or feel you do
3) Go to Grit Gate and just let the Waydroids kill everything for you (you can only do this with a Droid Scrambler or the droids will wreck you)
4) On level 3 of the underground, when it says "Entrance Level," you can find the way into Grit at the middle-top of the map, talk to the intercom about the quest, and then talk to it again and ask to enter the city.

Bam, you're in Grit Gate, home of Mafeo, one of the best (and only!) merchants in the game. Buy a Grit Gate recoiler, and from there, you can pretty much do what you want. I usually:

+ Explore the Grit Gate tunnels more thoroughly for loot, and dig through the walls into surrounding areas if I have Burrowing Claws or want to burn some Skulk injectors (they give you claws for ~1000 turns? I think)
+ Go to the Rusted Arch for tinkering bits if I'm a tinker
+ Go to the Jungle village south-east of Grit Gate (it's already marked on your map)
+ Explore the ruins around Grit Gate for loot, being careful of Chain Turrets (they WILL shoot 3+ times in a single turn if you enter their LOS, which sucks if there's 2-3, but the other turrets like Rifle Turrets aren't really a threat, just the Chain Turrets)
+ Follow the Grit Gate questline and die/hit a wall because I'm stupid and don't like rubbergum injectors.

Edit: Until you feel comfortable exploring Joppa, Grit Gate, Goatman Village, and the areas surrounding them, game after game, I'd say skip Tinkering because it's only really amazing with 25 int for Expert Disassemble so that you can get every bit from every item you disassemble (otherwise you get minimum of 1 random bit + random amount of the other bits, which sucks). It's kind of a very boring way to play, I just like being a tinker. Because of the 25 int requirement, this means I usually start with attributes like above, except with 20 int and Water Merchant (to have money for parts and schematics) and then dump literally every attribute point into Int until level 15. You'll pick up +2 to all attributes along the way (every 6 levels give you +1 all, so levels 6 and 12 cover that) so you're really only spending 3 points in int (every 3 levels you get +1 attribute point to spend, so levels 3, 9, and 15) but it still sucks to basically be stockpiling everything that disassembles into more than 1 bit. Or maybe you're less compulsive than me and wouldn't do that, but I like hitting 15, buying cool schematics, and then making things like Force Bracelets and Laser Rifles.

Because then I Am Become Death. If I remember to use the Force Bracelet, anyway. Which I usually don't, because I just need to punch this monster one more time... gently caress he critted me for 35+ damage :(

E: BTW if you need a stash, just use the floor in Joppa or Grit Gate since you can teleport there (that's what Recoilers do, they take energy cells and teleport you to the place of the recoiler). I'd recommend stashing all but 32-64 drams of water if you aren't actively shopping, because that poo poo weighs a lot (64 drams weigh 16 + 1 for the container = 17 pounds) and there's no reason to carry while travelling (worst case you miss out on a wandering merchant, best case you carry more loot that you sell to that travelling merchant anyway, and you can always teleport back then walk back and try to find the merchant since they move slowly).

E: Also, Starapples are stupid. Don't hold on to them thinking they'll help you avoid starvation. They're basically 1-pound watervines in terms of satiation. Eat em as you find em.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 2, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm really liking my current not-quite esper build: 16 in str and agi, 18 in everything else, carapace, disintegration, light manipulation, sunder mind, ravenous on a water merchant. Tightening up your carapace allows you to use disintegration as an aoe nuke and kill groups of equimax as early as level 6 with a little bit of found gear. Skill priorities generally go to butchering, rifles+take aim and then tinkering/disassemble/scavenger/tinkering I before saving up to get berate. Mutation points generally go straight into the carapace and maybe trying to roll a new one at level 7 or so. For food I hit up the warden and the dude that gives you the red rock quest for what usually amounts to about 500 vinewafers between them for a pittance, while lugging around whatever butchering comes up with. Sunder mind and a laser blast will kill a sandhopper (and sometimes you don't need the laser blast), which is generally the most threatening thing in a desert canyon til you start pissing off equimax. Sunder mind will also oneshot turtles, which otherwise take forever to die.

Disintegration also lets you break into places for less investment than burrowing claws, though it is less precise and can't really be used to dig long distances.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 2, 2013

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

I've found some rifles and pistols but I've never lived long enough to find any ammo. Where do you recommend grinding up some early levels? Finding the artifacts for the instant level 2 is hit or miss for me so I need some way to level without worrying about getting mauled to death by two headed boars, salt hoppers and hosed up chameleons.

Also isn't burrowing 3 points?

Bob NewSCART fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 2, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

I've found some rifles and pistols but I've never lived long enough to find any ammo. Where do you recommend grinding up some early levels? Finding the artifacts for the instant level 2 is hit or miss for me so I need some way to level without worrying about getting mauled to death by two headed boars, salt hoppers and hosed up chameleons.

Water merchants start with at least a pair of grenades for instant level 2. They also start with enough money to pick up at least a musket and maybe a melee weapon that isn't total crap if one's available. Pretty much all animals smaller than an equimax die to sunder mind + a laser or 2 and disintegrate is an amazing panic button when combined with a tightened carapace. If things go real bad sprint and leg it back to Joppa where half of town will swarm whatever follows you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

Also isn't burrowing 3 points?

Ranged weapons are basically worthless as a primary attack unless you want to relentlessly scum vendors forever. Take mutations instead.

The easiest way to grind levels and get a head start on the game is to take Flaming Hands or Freezing Hands and flash-fry Equimaxes in the wilderness. It'll teach you how to kite enemies that are too tough to kill directly and you'll be level 10+ in no time, at which point you can breeze through the early quest lines and start getting to the more interesting parts of the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ranged weapons are basically worthless as a primary attack unless you want to relentlessly scum vendors forever. Take mutations instead.

The easiest way to grind levels and get a head start on the game is to take Flaming Hands or Freezing Hands and flash-fry Equimaxes in the wilderness. It'll teach you how to kite enemies that are too tough to kill directly and you'll be level 10+ in no time, at which point you can breeze through the early quest lines and start getting to the more interesting parts of the game.

Nah, the easiest way is to disintegrate huge groups of equimaxes and laughing as the survivors can't get through the 13 av you built up with your carapace and a few bits of clothing you found laying around. Then you pick them off with lasers and maybe a shotgun shell or 2.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting started in Sil?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Also one more quick retarded question that I should know the answer to, how do I fill up my skins with some water?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

Also one more quick retarded question that I should know the answer to, how do I fill up my skins with some water?

Water is money. Really heavy money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Ah I see. I just got a character almost to 10 but then a fire ant blew me the gently caress up.