Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Did we ever get the Steam group for multiplayer going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
So I started playing through the AA campaign again. After playing AO and AC it is a little refreshing to go back to the slightly more comic booky gui of AA. It's subtle, just a little bit of style, different fonts and stuff, but I think I like it a little better.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Can somebody tell me where the hell to do the stupid rank six predator challenge? I just finished the bank in new game plus, not realizing hanging ledge takedown meant hanging from a ledge and doing a take down on an enemy below you, not one on the ledge above you. Is it really possible to screw yourself out of being able to finish the challenges by going too far in the story?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Can somebody tell me where the hell to do the stupid rank six predator challenge? I just finished the bank in new game plus, not realizing hanging ledge takedown meant hanging from a ledge and doing a take down on an enemy below you, not one on the ledge above you. Is it really possible to screw yourself out of being able to finish the challenges by going too far in the story?

Theoretically no, since you could probably play the game over and over again in I am the Night mode to get your remaining challenges done.

Realistically, yes, because who would honestly go through I Am the Night mode, and die once they've beaten all the Predator rooms to restart until they've beaten all the challenges?

For the Rank 6 challenge, I didn't do it until the final predator room, but you might be able to do it earlier than that.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
I actually like the Joker better in this than in the other games. He seems more like a simple gang lord in Arkham City. I'm annoyed that everything is condensed onto a small island, though. I can see the chemical plant that the joker fell into being located in the same area as the Sionis steel mill, but it's pushing it for the movie theater and the Iceberg Lounge to be a couple blocks away. Now that Blackgate Prison and the GCPD are right across the bridge, everything feels far too compressed.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Was I the only one disappointed by the Blackgate Escapees Most Wanted mission? When I saw that the last crime scene investigation was a double homicide in Crime Alley and there was still one "Most Wanted" case hidden, I was really hoping for a surprise Scarecrow-style trip-out where you're investigating the Wayne Murders and going crazy. Which, granted, could have been corny, but expecting a supervillain and getting twenty random dudes to beat up was kind of a let down.

Fake Edit: Aaaaaaand now the game's not recognizing my evade/aerial attack commands. Awesome.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Regarding online again - When facing Batman or Robin, are you supposed to be able to stunlock them with bullets? Even while I'm shooting them they're just smacking me in the face. It seems that once they're in front of you, you're hosed, when it looks like it was designed to be if you shoot them, they have to escape.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is the endgame still bugged on the PC? I've just returned to Blackgate and rescued the hostages from what i assume is the final Predator room so i think i'm nearing the end of the game.

That final room is also kinda set up to help you complete the tier 6 predator challenge.

You get a vent take down immediately and then right next to that vent is a wall you can place gel on. Then, in the centre of the map, is a little walkway with a sniper that you can easily get the corner takedown on.

The only tricky one i found was the hanging takedown as it took me ages to find a ledge that counted. Basically, on the level with the hostages stand on top of the metal fence and grab someone walking below.

The only annoying thing is that I'll have to go through new game+ to get the rest.

Kin fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 2, 2013

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Regarding online again - When facing Batman or Robin, are you supposed to be able to stunlock them with bullets? Even while I'm shooting them they're just smacking me in the face. It seems that once they're in front of you, you're hosed, when it looks like it was designed to be if you shoot them, they have to escape.

Dodge roll directly away from them and then fill them with lead while they're still punching air. Dodge roll is absolutely the Elite's best weapon against the Heroes. Even when I get glide kicked, sometimes the Hero who hit me starts punching at me instead of following up with a Ground Takedown, and I basically get a free kill because I roll away the first moment I get.

More to your question, if a Hero is right in front of you, you're probably finished, yeah, but if they're even a few feet out, concentrated fire will down them quickly, and you should always be with at least another teammate just for the extra protection against Heroes.

EDIT: Actually to your question, I don't think gunfire actually stuns Heroes, the damage alone is supposed to scare them off or kill them.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I'm only through the Penguin's section, but the story in this game seems very focused on batman being a huge unhinged rear end in a top hat.

I mean, I guess that's kind of his "thing" but it was kinda strange to see him mercilessly beat the poo poo out of the Penguin when he hadn't actually done anything wrong. Yeah, sure, he's an armsdealer and a creepy lecher, but batman just strolls into his office and beats him until the poor guy tells him where Black Mask is. Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that batman beats everyone up all the time, but usually there's at least some justification or greater end-goal for the way he beats people, but that was pretty out there.

edit: I forgot! He doesn't even KNOW that Penguin knows anything. He just assumes that since he's got spies everywhere that he knows where BM is hiding out!

"I bet this guy knows where a criminal is hiding. I'll beat him half to death and get some answers. Perfect!"

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 3, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Platypus Farm posted:

I mean, I guess that's kind of his "thing" but it was kinda strange to see him mercilessly beat the poo poo out of the Penguin when he hadn't actually done anything wrong. Yeah, sure, he's an armsdealer and a creepy lecher, but batman just strolls into his office and beats him until the poor guy tells him where Black Mask is. Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that batman beats everyone up all the time, but usually there's at least some justification or greater end-goal for the way he beats people, but that was pretty out there.

The Penguin was murdering people and selling arms to criminals. That's kind of the definition of doing something wrong. Like when you're going in he's talking over the loudspeakers about how he's going to murder some of his minions and he's hosting illegal cagematch deathfights. I mean Batman is an rear end in a top hat this game but The Penguin is pretty much doing everything wrong.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

ImpAtom posted:

The Penguin was murdering people and selling arms to criminals. That's kind of the definition of doing something wrong. Like when you're going in he's talking over the loudspeakers about how he's going to murder some of his minions and he's hosting illegal cagematch deathfights. I mean Batman is an rear end in a top hat this game but The Penguin is pretty much doing everything wrong.

Oh okay fair enough. I was playing really late last night so I had the volume down :)

Okay so Penguin is up to his usual bullshit. Carry on!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Platypus Farm posted:

I'm only through the Penguin's section, but the story in this game seems very focused on batman being a huge unhinged rear end in a top hat.

I just beat the game last night and I'd say by the end he's much less of an rear end in a top hat than he was in City. Keep in mind this is still early in his career and he's become consumed with his mission. By the end he's realized what a dick he had become and settles down a lot.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I'd like to see an Arkham game where the Riddler is the one pulling all the strings. I mean it's a perfect fit, you have all the villains going apeshit at each other because of his meddling, and while Batman's going around trying to calm things down (relatively speaking) the criminal organisations are being dismantled from within.

Suddenly, Gotham's electronics and communications are completely under Riddler control, and the Bat has to actually do some detective work and figure out how he did it!

Then the game ends with you punching him in the face.

GOTY.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Platypus Farm posted:

edit: I forgot! He doesn't even KNOW that Penguin knows anything. He just assumes that since he's got spies everywhere that he knows where BM is hiding out!

"I bet this guy knows where a criminal is hiding. I'll beat him half to death and get some answers. Perfect!"

He knew Penguin was tracking Black Mask with drones.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cryohazard posted:

I'd like to see an Arkham game where the Riddler is the one pulling all the strings. I mean it's a perfect fit, you have all the villains going apeshit at each other because of his meddling, and while Batman's going around trying to calm things down (relatively speaking) the criminal organisations are being dismantled from within.

Suddenly, Gotham's electronics and communications are completely under Riddler control, and the Bat has to actually do some detective work and figure out how he did it!

Then the game ends with you punching him in the face.

GOTY.

I'd be okay if the main villain of the next Arkham game is The Riddler, but I'd be happier if the next Rocksteady developed title expanded the scope to pull in a little more of the DC Universe. I mean, at least with some of Batman's allies, bring Robin and Nightwing into the story proper and give us some character variety into the open world sections of the game. The brief taste in Arkham City with Catwoman left me wanting more.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

I just beat the game last night and I'd say by the end he's much less of an rear end in a top hat than he was in City. Keep in mind this is still early in his career and he's become consumed with his mission. By the end he's realized what a dick he had become and settles down a lot.

Yep. In the time between Origins and City Batman gets tight with Gordon, is trusted enough to have security clearance in Arkham, goes through Batgirl to Oracle, hooks up with Talia, develops a relationship with Catwoman, and is on his third Robin. Origins is really just scratching the surface of his transition from one man crusade to team player.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Penguin is literally torturing somebody (Alberto Falcone, who goes on to become The Holiday Killer in The Long Halloween) when Batman walks into the room.

Similarly, when Batman first becomes aware of Enigma, he has deliberately caused the death of one innocent repairman and murdered the criminal who was dumb enough to leave his fingerprints at the scene.

Batman is definitely a huge rear end in a top hat in the game - as others have noted, it's a deliberate plot point - but Penguin and Enigma are not just a couple of dudes in a morally grey area being unfairly targeted by Batman.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

DrNutt posted:

I'd be okay if the main villain of the next Arkham game is The Riddler, but I'd be happier if the next Rocksteady developed title expanded the scope to pull in a little more of the DC Universe. I mean, at least with some of Batman's allies, bring Robin and Nightwing into the story proper and give us some character variety into the open world sections of the game. The brief taste in Arkham City with Catwoman left me wanting more.

There is no way that Rocksteady are going to make an Arkham game again, nor is there any way that if Origins sells well, the Arkham series will be discontinued. It'll probably be outsourced.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Whaat, I thought the whole point of this one was so they could spend more time on the next "proper" one??

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Whaat, I thought the whole point of this one was so they could spend more time on the next "proper" one??

AFAIK it's a DC Universe game, it's set in the Arkham universe but it's radically different from City.

Most of what we know about it is rumours, though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RatHat posted:

He knew Penguin was tracking Black Mask with drones.

Speaking of drones, I feel like the devs missed an opportunity to add a new enemy type to the Predator sections. They added new enemies for the combat, but they didn't really do anything to mix up the stealth aside from the Remote Claw and that's just a "Take these 3 guys out for free" button.

They could have added a console to each room with a thug manning a little drone that looks for you in places thugs can't normally see you. You could choose to either destroy it with gadgets (or just knock it around a little to distract it) or take out the operator since he's too busy looking at a screen to pay attention to you.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

CharlestonJew posted:

Speaking of drones, I feel like the devs missed an opportunity to add a new enemy type to the Predator sections. They added new enemies for the combat, but they didn't really do anything to mix up the stealth aside from the Remote Claw and that's just a "Take these 3 guys out for free" button.

They could have added a console to each room with a thug manning a little drone that looks for you in places thugs can't normally see you. You could choose to either destroy it with gadgets (or just knock it around a little to distract it) or take out the operator since he's too busy looking at a screen to pay attention to you.

They actually cut the drones from the predator sequences.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

seal it with a kiss posted:

They actually cut the drones from the predator sequences.

Yeah, in some interview they mentioned that drones were cut from predator sequences because playtesters only ever used one strategy to deal with them.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cryohazard posted:

There is no way that Rocksteady are going to make an Arkham game again, nor is there any way that if Origins sells well, the Arkham series will be discontinued. It'll probably be outsourced.

Kevin Conroy leaked something involving him in a Batman game that wasn't Arkham Origins when asked about if he was in it in some Q&A a year or so ago.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Cryohazard posted:

It's already long confirmed that Rocksteady is working on a new Arkham game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cryohazard posted:

Why in the world would you think Rocksteady isn't going to work on another Arkham game?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Yeah, in some interview they mentioned that drones were cut from predator sequences because playtesters only ever used one strategy to deal with them.
Jump on top of them and ride around the room shooting at all the thugs?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Why in the world would you think Rocksteady isn't going to work on another Arkham game?

C'mon, man. What could they do next? Arkham County? Arkham Country? Big-rear end Arkham World? :rolleyes:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

C'mon, man. What could they do next? Arkham County? Arkham Country? Big-rear end Arkham World? :rolleyes:

The incidental thug dialogue was so great in City, Catwoman-related stuff aside. They were all just so tired of being there and getting punched all the time. Before, when Batman punched you, you went to jail! Now you have nothing to look forward to but waking up and getting punched again.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
It's just like Call of Duty - when Treyarch took over the series it freed up Infinity Ward to work on the projects that they really wanted to work on.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

So after going to the morgue I'm trapped in the sewers. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

The incidental thug dialogue was so great in City, Catwoman-related stuff aside. They were all just so tired of being there and getting punched all the time. Before, when Batman punched you, you went to jail! Now you have nothing to look forward to but waking up and getting punched again.

When I reloaded my old 100% game recently, I walked out of the museum and two thugs were just sitting on the stoop wandering how long it would be till somebody came along to move them back into a proper prison. I felt so bad for them I walked back into the museum and exited the game, the poor bastards had suffered enough :shobon:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Man, at this point I don't even know if I can be bothered to finish this. The final chapter just seems to be a single slog comprised of unfun combat and a boss fight that clearly attempts to ape one particular, much-praised encounter from AC but falls completely flat for me. What a disappointment.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

This game was playtested? :haw:

OK, that might be a little too harsh, but when I actively want to get the combat over with as quickly as possible in an Arkham title, that's just not right. :sigh:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Origins is so glitchy the publishers have actually APOLOGIZED. Do you realize how bad that must be for a publisher to actually seek public contrition?

If the game didn't have gamebreaking bugs or catastrophically bad design (the aforementioned predator challenges, the awful upgrade tree) I'd probably see it as a diverting but enjoyable entry in the franchise.

But man, my experience was not a fun one. I'm a whore for story DLC, so I'l probably rent the game in a few months when that's out and New Game Plus the title. hopefully by then the main glitches will be fixed.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

MMAgCh posted:

Man, at this point I don't even know if I can be bothered to finish this. The final chapter just seems to be a single slog comprised of unfun combat and a boss fight that clearly attempts to ape one particular, much-praised encounter from AC but falls completely flat for me. What a disappointment.
This game was playtested? :haw:

OK, that might be a little too harsh, but when I actively want to get the combat over with as quickly as possible in an Arkham title, that's just not right. :sigh:

The last segment was just tedious, what a weak way to finish out the game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

TechnoSyndrome posted:

You don't need to be hangning. Just stand on the ledge over the enemy and the takedown prompt will happen. It's the same one you do in the very first predator room.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

So after going to the morgue I'm trapped in the sewers. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Go to the opposite part of where you entered. There's an unmarked ladder on the map where you can get out.

It's poo poo, I know. Stuck for 20 minutes myself down there until I found it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
My game went to poo poo today :saddowns:

I'm in the batcave after the first Bane fight and when I try to leave, a message about corrupt DLC pops out and boot me to the dashboard (I'm on the 360) the only DLC that I have is the One Million skin and the spanish language pack. I deleted both and reinstalled them again and the message keeps showing.

Is there a solution for this or am I hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
I know this is some ridiculous prequel logic but really the implementation of the shock gloves ends up being Batman's most important, powerful and downright lifesaving gadget of all time, and he will never ever use them again.

• Locked thread