Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PDF wasn't reverse engineeered, it is a publicly documented standard. Flash was reverse engineered, but you can avoid the patents in your competing implementation. Video codecs and container formats are covered by so many patents that it is impossible to implement them without infringing at least one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

pseudorandom name posted:

Flash was reverse engineered, but you can avoid the patents in your competing implementation.

Actually, Adobe makes the Flash specification available now, but it's still proprietary. Link

Implementing it in JS is interesting, but I don't think there have been any legal cases brought up about it yet, so you'd be entering a legal gray area by doing that.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

dpbjinc posted:

Actually, Adobe makes the Flash specification available now, but it's still proprietary. Link

Implementing it in JS is interesting, but I don't think there have been any legal cases brought up about it yet, so you'd be entering a legal gray area by doing that.
I think at this point people would rather kill Flash than reimplement it via JavaScript.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

The Merkinman posted:

I think at this point people would rather kill Flash than reimplement it via JavaScript.

While that'd be nice in the long run, it does screw over anyone who wants to look at old things on the internet. Also, reimplementing Flash in Javascript ensures that Javascript can actually do everything Flash does, which is a pretty good way to get people to take Javascript seriously as a Flash alternative.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
I'd just like flash to die already

Given how it's orten misused and how it can really screw up and poo poo itself (then everything else) I can't wait to be rid of it

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Well we definitely won't be rid of flash until Mozilla stops loving around with the UI and makes a H.264/AAC decoder.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Well we definitely won't be rid of flash until Mozilla stops loving around with the UI and makes a H.264/AAC decoder.

Firefox already supports H.264/AAC on Windows Vista+, Android, and Firefox OS; will support it on Linux as of Firefox 26*; and is working on support for OS X. That only leaves out XP users, who can deal with it (or maybe someone like Oracle will distribute an AAC decoder and pay for all the royalties so software like Firefox can use it).

Also, if you're on Firefox 25, just set Flash to be click-to-play. The only times I need Flash anymore are for Youtube videos, and you can at least partially solve that by enrolling in Youtube's HTML5 trial.

* Provided you've installed the codecs at the OS level.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
Also, the people messing with the UI are not people who are likely to be able to make a decoder. Mozilla is being worked on by a team of more than one person - they can do different jobs!

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

~Coxy posted:

We won't be rid of Flash until someone figures out how to reliable deliver regionalized ad overlays while playing a native mp4 stream.
Flash is what keeps Twitch.tv, Youtube etc alive and running.

Also holy poo poo Mozilla, just buy a mpeg4 decoder license already. gently caress dealing with Ogg Theovorbis or WebM.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 4, 2013

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

Also holy poo poo Mozilla, just buy a mpeg4 decoder license already. gently caress dealing with Ogg Theovorbis or WebM.

They would have to start charging $0.50 per download to cover the costs.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

They would have to start charging $0.50 per download to cover the costs.
My understanding is that another major problem is that if you license the H.264 decoder from the MPEG-LA you are only allowed to distribute the MPEG-LA provided binary, you can't even compile it yourself from source. Cisco DOES let you build their H.264 decoder from source and distribute it, as well as distribute the source (but unless the blobs you build are binary-identical to Cisco's they won't pay your license fees (but if you really need different blobs like for another platform they have said they will build them for you so they can eat the fees (gently caress yeah nested parens))).

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Alereon posted:

My understanding is that another major problem is that if you license the H.264 decoder from the MPEG-LA you are only allowed to distribute the MPEG-LA provided binary, you can't even compile it yourself from source.

You don't license a decoder, you license the right to implement a decoder. Not being able to make your own would make it really difficult to offload it on to random cell phone GPUs.

They have a web site, you can read it yourself: http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/AVC/Pages/Agreement.aspx

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

You don't license a decoder, you license the right to implement a decoder. Not being able to make your own would make it really difficult to offload it on to random cell phone GPUs.

They have a web site, you can read it yourself: http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/AVC/Pages/Agreement.aspx
My bad, I somehow got myself confused reading about the licensing terms around using Cisco/identical blobs (to count as using "Cisco's" decoder for licensing reasons) and thought that the MPEG-LA's obligatory free/low-cost license terms required licensing the reference decoder itself versus developing your own for a higher rate. Thanks for clarifying!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is there a way to change the color of the folders on the bookmark bar? They clash with my theme and I'm not a big fan of manilla in any event.
This is surprisingly difficult to google for -- everything I find talks about changing the color of the bar itself or just how to use the bookmark menu bar.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

Is there a way to change the color of the folders on the bookmark bar? They clash with my theme and I'm not a big fan of manilla in any event.
This is surprisingly difficult to google for -- everything I find talks about changing the color of the bar itself or just how to use the bookmark menu bar.

Off the top of my head, I'd guess that you could make a simple add-on that just has some new image files and some CSS changes. The DOM Inspector add-on is pretty handy here for figuring out what selector can be used to mess with any part of the UI.

If you just want to change the color by overlaying it with a new color, you could use CSS to set an SVG filter on the image. The filter would probably look something like:

code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
  <filter id="colored-folder">
    <feFlood flood-color="red" flood-opacity="0.7" result="color"/>
    <feComposite in="color" in2="SourceAlpha" operator="in" result="mask"/>
    <feMerge>
      <feMergeNode in="SourceGraphic"/>
      <feMergeNode in="mask"/>
    </feMerge>
  </filter>
</svg>
You might be able to do this with just a userChrome.css file, but I'm not 100% sure if you can use that to refer to external image files.

EDIT: A Google search suggests that the CSS selector you want is .bookmark-item[container="true"]

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 5, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Avenging Dentist posted:

Off the top of my head, I'd guess that you could make a simple add-on that just has some new image files and some CSS changes. The DOM Inspector add-on is pretty handy here for figuring out what selector can be used to mess with any part of the UI.

If you just want to change the color by overlaying it with a new color, you could use CSS to set an SVG filter on the image. The filter would probably look something like:

code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
  <filter id="colored-folder">
    <feFlood flood-color="red" flood-opacity="0.7" result="color"/>
    <feComposite in="color" in2="SourceAlpha" operator="in" result="mask"/>
    <feMerge>
      <feMergeNode in="SourceGraphic"/>
      <feMergeNode in="mask"/>
    </feMerge>
  </filter>
</svg>
You might be able to do this with just a userChrome.css file, but I'm not 100% sure if you can use that to refer to external image files.

EDIT: A Google search suggests that the CSS selector you want is .bookmark-item[container="true"]

Thanks for the reply, I'll mess around with it and see what happens :)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm running Firefox 25.0, and for the last few days I've been unable to read Youtube comments. I can't really say I mind, but has this been happening to anyone else?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

YggiDee posted:

I'm running Firefox 25.0, and for the last few days I've been unable to read Youtube comments. I can't really say I mind, but has this been happening to anyone else?

Do you have any YT enhancement extensions?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
:doh: Right, that should have been the first thing I checked. It was one of those download extensions that don't ever really work.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Can some one please explain to me how to implement this (it apparently stops twitter from embedding images)?

I have just copied and pasted a comment so I might have screwed it up if it doesn't make sense?

@ra0lq Raol

hold on, guys. Here is the trick. If you know about customizing sites in firefox/chrome/safari with custom CSS, just add following to the customization file

ol#stream-items-id > li.stream-item > div.tweet div.media {

display: none;

}

Here is complete setting for firefox

@-moz-document url-prefix(https://twitter.com) {

}

}

e- thanks YggiDee :)

Jippa fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 6, 2013

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You can do this if you have Stylish installed. Just go into the User Styles page in your Add-Ons Manager, hit 'Write New Style,' and paste the code below in the box provided. Also, I checked it and it seems to work. Images won't load on Twitter unless you click 'Expand,' which I think is what you were trying to do?

code:

@-moz-document url-prefix([url]https://twitter.com[/url]) {

}

}

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Am I mistaken, or did they gently caress up the search recently, both Find and type-ahead search? It doesn't wrap around when hitting F3 (to find more results); it only works "once" through the page, from the top. Even pressing the Previous button on the Find bar at the bottom doesn't work.

Edit: Restarting/updating FF to version 25.0 fixed it.
Edit: Problem has come back. :mad:

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 7, 2013

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Pilsner posted:

Am I mistaken, or did they gently caress up the search recently, both Find and type-ahead search? It doesn't wrap around when hitting F3 (to find more results); it only works "once" through the page, from the top. Even pressing the Previous button on the Find bar at the bottom doesn't work.

Works for me on Aurora 27, Windows 8.1.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Pilsner posted:

Go through the steps in the OP. Could be a rogue extension.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Anyone getting severe leakage on the newest Aurora? OSX here

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

dpbjinc posted:

Your link says, "The SWF file format is available as an open specification to create products and technology that implement the specification." Adobe gives permission to software to create and play SWF. Shumway is a Mozilla project that implements SWF in HTML5.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My youtube add-ons have lost the ability to preload + jump around the video without losing the preload, again (I guess youtube updates every so often to make the viewing experience more annoying). Meanwhile the deafult firefox on the university computers has that ability, which is just odd. Any youtube plugins / add-ons / whatever that work right now and let you move around the video?

Also, I'd like to find a firefox thing that would automatically pause all downloads when windows shuts down firefox due to low memory (or when firefox crashes, but I guess there's less of a warning there).

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Has anyone been having horrific facebook issues for the last few days? Site is unusable for me with firefox. Works for a bit, then it just stalls out and becomes unresponsive for 30 seconds at a time. No issues with chrome..

My dad is having the same issue.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

TLG James posted:

Has anyone been having horrific facebook issues for the last few days? Site is unusable for me with firefox. Works for a bit, then it just stalls out and becomes unresponsive for 30 seconds at a time. No issues with chrome..

My dad is having the same issue.

yep was having some serious problems with facebook in Aurora, todays update fixed it, I assume it'll trickle down to normal FF pretty soon

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't call it horrific, but I've had to manually reload the page more often than not when a like/new comment/whatever notification pops up in the corner.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Modus Trollens posted:

yep was having some serious problems with facebook in Aurora, todays update fixed it, I assume it'll trickle down to normal FF pretty soon

Hmm.. Trying this out, still have the same issues.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
4 tabs open and FF 25 is using 700mb of RAM :psyduck: My work pc only has 2 bloody GB of it and this is really hammering my multitasking ability.

What are good tips for minimizing FF memory usage? I only have 2 add-ons - Fire IE and Stylish.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

WastedJoker posted:

4 tabs open and FF 25 is using 700mb of RAM :psyduck: My work pc only has 2 bloody GB of it and this is really hammering my multitasking ability.

What are good tips for minimizing FF memory usage? I only have 2 add-ons - Fire IE and Stylish.
Go back to 21-24? These updates are ridiculous. (Remember when youtube used to work?!)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

FRINGE posted:

Go back to 21-24? These updates are ridiculous. (Remember when youtube used to work?!)
If you'd roll back, I'd only suggest 24(esr). 21-23 aren't supported so could have security issues.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WastedJoker posted:

See if disabling FireIE does it, if not try a clean Firefox profile, that is not normal behavior. Also you may not be able to control this but having old video drivers will murder performance on lower-end systems since it disables hardware cceleration.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
It seems like the newest new aurora update fixed the facebook issue for me at least.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

WastedJoker posted:

Try unloadtab or suspendtab https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/unloadtab/ (link to suspend is on the unloadtab page) I haven't really noticed any issues like it suggests could happen, except that you need to keep the tab active if you use flashgot to capture videos from webpages. If the tab sleeps the file sometimes stops downloading.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Not that its worked for months to be honest

Whats the alternative?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Among other things, 25 broke the alias search feature of InstantFox, which hasn't updated since July. Any good alternatives out there?

Also, if you're using SearchWP (and you should be) this is a patched version that fixes the find-in-page function for 25: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12883402/searchwp-2.6.2-fx.xpi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Modus Trollens posted:

Not that its worked for months to be honest

Whats the alternative?

https://github.com/cpriest/SnapLinksPlus/raw/master/dist/snaplinksplus-2.3.4b7.xpi