Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

CzarChasm posted:

Beat the game the other night. As others have said, the last boss encounter is really disappointing, but I'd say up until that point, the story was great.

Post game, it seems to be freezing a LOT, and for no real reason. Not transitioning into buildings, not quick traveling. Just gliding around.

The Gordon mission at the end had one of my favorite things thus far (spoilers, just to be safe):

PRISONER: Jingle.....bells.....Batman.....smells.
BATMAN: No. *Choke slam*

I thought that the general chat between the thugs was pretty good this time around. Especially when you get around to beating up the last guy in a group and he panics saying "I wasn't with those guys!"

Now, if there's one thing I want to see in the next Batman game, it has to be the option to co-op the whole campaign. Let me pick between Robin, Batgirl or Nightwing to go along with Batman. We could choose from 3 or 4 Robin costumes back in AC, wouldn't be that hard to find a few for Batgirl or Nightwing (even toss in that horrible disco Nightwing number from the 70's.)

Double simultaneous predator rooms? gently caress yes. A handful of Riddler puzzles that can more easily be solved by two people? Yes.

It can't be that hard to have a cut scene see if you've got one player or two and then play the appropriate video to go along.

If Saints Row can do co-op campaign, then Arkham probably can as well, especially since Arkham games don't even need to worry about custom characters. It is more about developer will at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saint's Row has a lot less in the way of strict timing. Custom characters are far less of an issue than trying to do the combat system co-op. Predator mode is easy enough (and they already have the basis for it in the online multiplayer) but looking how much people are complaining about AO's 'ruining' the flow of combat. Now imagine all the problems that online interaction will add into that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm trying to imagine both Batman and Robin Freeflowing around a room with 50 mooks in it and I can't imagine it being anything other than a sloppy, chaotic mess. I think part of the appeal of the games is that you are (theoretically) in complete control over the fight even when you're facing an army, and throwing another player into the mix would break that up a lot. Not to mention I'd have to worry about my buddy throwing off my combos by knocking down someone I'm trying to attack.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Man, it looks like I've another reason for abandoning a 100% run. Apparently there's a costume locked behind getting every combat challenge medal.

Slap an achievement on that or whatever, but don't lock content behind a near unbeatable wall that only the extremely skilled are going to get. Especially as the people that play it enough to get to that point probably don't give a poo poo about a character skin anyway.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Awesome, I can't interrogate any of the riddler informants post ending. Did they even test the end game at all?

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
Regarding the corrupt Xbox save issue, does anyone know if the patch they are pushing eventually for that will fix currently corrupt saves, or is it just a fix to ensure it doesn't happen again?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

seal it with a kiss posted:

They're not out in SP yet.

I'm still trying to figure out how this makes any sense at all. The models are there in the loving game.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Even though they can be powered through with shock gloves, shield guys are still really unfun to fight, same with the shock stick guys although they're barely featured in the story.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Even though they can be powered through with shock gloves, shield guys are still really unfun to fight, same with the shock stick guys although they're barely featured in the story.

It's fun when the aerial attack refuses to work when you need it against a shield guy!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just use aerial attack or flip over them until you can use a Takedown.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ImpAtom posted:

Just use aerial attack or flip over them until you can use a Takedown.

The takedown animation on the Shield guys is even better than the Disarm and Destroy, since Batman basically beats the dude down with his own shield. How do you like your precious shield now, you combo-breaking sonuvabitch!?! :argh:

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Saltin posted:

Regarding the corrupt Xbox save issue, does anyone know if the patch they are pushing eventually for that will fix currently corrupt saves, or is it just a fix to ensure it doesn't happen again?

You can't fix corrupt saves. They'll probably have a fix for infinite falling but your saves are fuuuuucked.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I got hit with a no progress bug on my PC. I had 10% done and it said "story not yet started". I quit hoping it would fix itself, but I came back and it did not fix itself. :(

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

Why is there just a random explodeable wall on the roof of the bank next to the Anarky tag?

I think there was a datapack there. You probably collected it and forgot about it. Since it's outside, the wall respawns fairly often.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

seal it with a kiss posted:

They're not out in SP yet.

This is stupid. Why the hell do publishers do this poo poo?

Jerusalem posted:

The takedown animation on the Shield guys is even better than the Disarm and Destroy, since Batman basically beats the dude down with his own shield. How do you like your precious shield now, you combo-breaking sonuvabitch!?! :argh:

I honestly like D&D's animation better since Batman literally rushes up to the window and punches through it, scaring the hell out of everyone around the shield goon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Scyantific posted:

I honestly like D&D's animation better since Batman literally rushes up to the window and punches through it, scaring the hell out of everyone around the shield goon.

My favorite animation is still Batman taking the gun from a thug and stripping it down to parts right in front of him. You know the poor bastard is thinking,"Oh God what is this thing!?! :gonk:"

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Kin posted:

Man, it looks like I've another reason for abandoning a 100% run. Apparently there's a costume locked behind getting every combat challenge medal.

Slap an achievement on that or whatever, but don't lock content behind a near unbeatable wall that only the extremely skilled are going to get. Especially as the people that play it enough to get to that point probably don't give a poo poo about a character skin anyway.
Oh, that is a thing but most people have a problem with the predator challenge 'tree' instead since if you miss it/it bugs out, you have to pretty much do them by the letter in NG+/IATN mode to finish the tree. At least the combat one is doable in free roam when you get big groups from crimes in progress.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I don't mind the shock stick guys since you can counter them, but the shield guys have uncounterable attacks that come out really fast. By the time you see the warning it's too late to dodge.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RatHat posted:

I don't mind the shock stick guys since you can counter them, but the shield guys have uncounterable attacks that come out really fast. By the time you see the warning it's too late to dodge.

You can't actually counter the shock stick guys, unless you have the Electric Gloves upgrade, then you can counter both shield and shock sticks so long as it's active.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

You can't actually counter the shock stick guys, unless you have the Electric Gloves upgrade, then you can counter both shield and shock sticks so long as it's active.

I have so much trouble with the timing with countering the shield guys that I don't even bother, their attacks do come out way faster than regular guys. I find evading then disarm and destroying them to be much easier.

One of the problems I have with the combat in this game is that you can start an attack, then have a mooks counter symbol appear and then they still land their hit before you can follow through with your strike, not a problem I had with AC. Cape stun doesn't seem to override their attacks as well as it did in AC which causes me to get hit a lot. Camera is also godawful to the point where you actually have to actively avoid getting close to walls because if you do chances are the camera will zoom to the point where you can't see anything, again this was not a problem for me in AC.

Curious if anyone here has any top ten scores in the leaderboards as some of the later combat challenges don't have the bar set too high. Best I've managed is a couple of 18th places but I'm assuming other goons can do better.

Edit: There is also the problem with the visibility of the counter icon. In AC I only really had this problem on a DLC level, Wayne Manor Armory or some such thing with the lightning strikes. In this game there seems to be a lot more pale bluish arenas which seems like an oversight.

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 4, 2013

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I bought this game today, played a little bit of it and holy poo poo does the game slow-down and freeze momentarily when there are more than 10 baddies on the screen. It made one fight absolutely impossible to win because I just couldn't time counters (especially knife dodges) and my rear end just got kicked. I'm playing the PS3 version and while I understand this is a quick and dirty Arkham sequel I really was not expecting these kind of issues.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh, I'm in postgame trying to get a datapack in the police station, but it's in the first half of the level and I can't figure out how to get back there. It's the 8th datapack of the 12 series.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Justin Godscock posted:

I bought this game today, played a little bit of it and holy poo poo does the game slow-down and freeze momentarily when there are more than 10 baddies on the screen. It made one fight absolutely impossible to win because I just couldn't time counters (especially knife dodges) and my rear end just got kicked. I'm playing the PS3 version and while I understand this is a quick and dirty Arkham sequel I really was not expecting these kind of issues.

Apparently, you don't really time knife dodges, so much as you hold back and counter during the three swings.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

RadicalWall posted:

The prompt for it is just Silent Takedown. If you choked him with your legs that was the right move.

God drat, guess I hosed up one of the others. gently caress.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
One of the most irritating thigns about combat in this game is how ground takedowns are completely useless since you will invariably be attacked and unable to counter while in the middle of a long-rear end canned animation every time you try to do one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Platypus Farm posted:

One of the most irritating thigns about combat in this game is how ground takedowns are completely useless since you will invariably be attacked and unable to counter while in the middle of a long-rear end canned animation every time you try to do one.

This is how it has been in every game. It is an assured 100% defeat if it works and is worth a tremendous amount of points in the Challenge Rooms because it is high risk/high reward.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite animation is still Batman taking the gun from a thug and stripping it down to parts right in front of him. You know the poor bastard is thinking,"Oh God what is this thing!?! :gonk:"

I like Joker's counter by grabbing the other guy's hand and letting the joy buzzer go. That whole Joker part is the point I really got into the story because I always loved the weird relationship Joker feels he has with Batman.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

ImpAtom posted:

This is how it has been in every game. It is an assured 100% defeat if it works and is worth a tremendous amount of points in the Challenge Rooms because it is high risk/high reward.

While this is true, I don't think it's a coincidence that a bunch of new posters keep showing up in the thread asking what happened to the combat system. They changed something about the timing in story mode, challenge seems a lot closer to Asylum and City.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Honestly from what it feels, you have less of a window to counter moves very quickly. I will admit I have to get used that your special take down doesn't always aim for nearest enemy, even if they are dazed on the ground. Sometimes it just misses.

I hate when it does that. Breaks the drat flow. And before you ask, AA and AC had no trouble time letting me aim my special combo at enemies who were dazed on the floor.

Honestly I think making the world bigger hurt the combat a bit because sometimes goons come out of where the camera is not covering. And you have to manually turn the camera to see everything. Kinda makes the combat wonky when you have enemies spread all over and sometimes the game decides NOPE nobody there so I'll make you swing and miss instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

more friedman units posted:

While this is true, I don't think it's a coincidence that a bunch of new posters keep showing up in the thread asking what happened to the combat system. They changed something about the timing in story mode, challenge seems a lot closer to Asylum and City.

I really am convinced that the PC version has more glitches than are obvious. I've seriously done everything I can to replicate the combat problems in the PS3 version and I just can't. I've gone into big brawls in story mode, I've played around in challenge maps, and I'm just not seeing it.

If it isn't that then I don't know what it is because I seriously did not approach AO any different from AC and I've been able to do everything that people claim doesn't work/was changed/whatever.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 4, 2013

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

ImpAtom posted:

I really am convinced that the PC version has more glitches than are obvious. I've seriously done everything I can to replicate the combat problems in the PS3 version and I just can't. I've gone into big brawls in story mode, I've played around in challenge maps, and I'm just not seeing it.

If it isn't that then I don't know what it is because I seriously did not approach AO any different from AC and I've been able to do everything that people claim doesn't work/was changed/whatever.
I'm on the PC and honestly other than a few changes (redirected aerial animation, aggressive enemies, getting used to new quickfire gadgets/enemy types) it feels like AC combat with a few changes. There are times where enemies are much more aggressive and there are times in both story mode and challenge maps where I will get chained punched by regular henchmen because I get pissed for losing a multiplier from something stupid, which is rarely a bug, and I'm now out of freeflow.

There are a few dumb bugs or changes I think are dumb that I never noticed in AC though:
-Armoured thugs seem harder to ID, or I need to go into detective mode. In AC, they were very distinct per faction, but here it seems like everyone wears winter jackets so other than SWAT armoured thugs, it is harder to ID them since there isn't sheet-metal-armor-clad clowns for Joker thugs, the mad hatter thugs all look the same and so do all the Bane thugs except some extra armour you might not notice. Maybe a helmet but this is negated by mad hatter thugs who all wear their white rabbit mask.
-Quickfire batarang auto-aiming for an armoured thug, then immediately failing you out of the counter. This never seemed to happen in AC , either because the targeting algorithm or whatever wasn't as screwy or it did happen in AC but it was because he was the last one standing. I've been throwing a lot less batarangs out in this case in turn for glue grenades, even though this was a staple for me in AC to disarm someone who just grabbed a gun.
-Ironically you cannot mash counter on martial artists, I finally noticed that today, this is why I've been failing out of my combos.
-Ninjas that dodge your attacks don't seem to immediately attack you, which seems to throw off my timing now.
-Someone pointed out to me that quickfire gel gives 25 points per hit, but I don't think it ever KOs, so ummm ... that doesn't seem right.

Sober fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 4, 2013

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
As satisfying as it is to smack a guy with his own ghetto riot shield, if you dont D+D them someone else will pick it up and be just as obnoxious with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh thank God I finally got the propane tank takedown, I just need to do the Dual takedown from the opposite railings with the grapple gun and I've completed Worst Nightmare at last. I wish I'd paid attention to it in my first playthrough when 2/3rds of the thugs weren't wearing armor :argh:

Cryohazard posted:

As satisfying as it is to smack a guy with his own ghetto riot shield, if you dont D+D them someone else will pick it up and be just as obnoxious with it.

Smash one guy over the head with it, another guy picks it up, you crumple the shield with your bare hands, pull their gun apart in front of them, shatter their baseball bat over your knee, bend their metal pipe, pulverize their knives and then ask them if they've got the message about not being criminals yet :clint:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
In regards to potential co-op, as the combat doesn't really suit two people fighting simultaneously, perhaps there's a way to have another player "visit" your world, sort of like in Dark Souls?

A visitor can take on the guise of a cop or a thug and run around doing good/bad poo poo either taking down more thugs, alerting the police/Batman to crimes in progress, or taking part in said crimes and generally messing poo poo up.

If the next generation Batman/DC games have a bit more variety in the crimes in progress that don't just involve punching people to death, it could be pretty interesting.

Throw in a progression/levelling system and you can have it so that your thug/cop starts off as a small time peon but gradually earns things like shields/shock sticks/guns/body armor/titan upgrades, the ability to counter and chain attacks, etc. A higher rank might even give you the ability to summon a "gang" to fight by your side. Higher ranks, more gang members.

If you went all out on this idea then you could also have [named badguy] missions that pop-up. These give the visitor the ability to join a gang on completion/earn a ton of experience (and could be predator type challenges) but when one is activated, a timer appears for the person playing Batman. Batman then has the option of taking part in this too (to stop them) or ignoring it to focus on other poo poo.

Strip out the visitors ability to quick travel (dying and respawning would be the only means of selecting a new city respawn point) and I think something like the above might work.

It's not conventional co-op but it could make the city seem a little more lively, gives all players something to do (that isn't just of the lame deathmatch format) and might not feel tacked on or forced.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Didn't see this update posted yet, but PC and PS3 patches have now been released. XBOX 360 patches are expected sometime this week. The devs so far have been pretty good about updating this page on a daily basis:

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support/Updates-on-support/m-p/8047#U8047

I really hope they patch a bug I ran into with the Bird Most Wanted side-mission. I can't get the first gang fight to trigger and my progress is locked in at 0%. The worst part is that two Enigma datapacks and the disarm and destroy takedown are tied directly to this Most Wanted and I can't get to them without a New Game +.

I really liked most of what this game did, aside from the Black Mask shell game, but it's a shame that pretty much everyone has run into game-breaking bugs regardless of console.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
Just ran across another weird glitch. I was cleaning up the Enigma datapacks and was trying to get one in what I think was the Diamond District. It was the one with three batarang light switches below and one above. The light above would not register as a target for the batarang and no matter what I did I could not hit it with a batarang. I just started throwing things at it hoping something would make it work. Luckily the batclaw triggered it. No reason why, it still didn't register as a target, but at least I got the thing so I could finish his Most Wanted mission.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
This game has done a very good job in making me want to replay Arkham City!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I wonder if they have fixed the dialogue bug that made me quit playing? Also, I have seen a bunch of posts on the official forum about horrible FPS during cut scenes. I too experience this, despite the rest of the game running flawlessly...

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

God drat, guess I hosed up one of the others. gently caress.

So, I was halfway through responding to this about how I'm pretty sure it's bugged because I did all of them flawlessly and saved the ledge takedown for last... when I realized it's a vent takedown that you have to do for this challenge, and not a grate takedown.

Motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
I can't get the sonic batarang achievement to work. is their some trick to it or is my game bugged?

• Locked thread