Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

hayden. posted:

Picked up a Yoga 2 today and DPI scaling issues, no ability to reverse scroll direction on touch pad (two fingers moving up scrolls down), and the severe yellow color issues all kind of suck. I love the display aside from the yellow issue and the keyboard is nice. Here's the Chrome icon with a nice brown tint where it should be bright yellow.

Ugh, loving non-standard subpixel layouts. There goes any chance of me buying a Yoga 2 or anything else that uses that panel. Should I just go ahead and order the T440s now or is there a chance there will be bigger discounts on Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathbyOtis
Mar 1, 2009
I need help. Should I snag a Yoga 11s with Haswell or a Mac Air? Need something today.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

DeathbyOtis posted:

I need help. Should I snag a Yoga 11s with Haswell or a Mac Air? Need something today.

Air.

DeathbyOtis
Mar 1, 2009

That's where I was leaning, thanks.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Ugh, loving non-standard subpixel layouts. There goes any chance of me buying a Yoga 2 or anything else that uses that panel. Should I just go ahead and order the T440s now or is there a chance there will be bigger discounts on Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

I actually just found this which helped a LOT: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-2-Pro-Pentile-matrix-RGBW-characteristics-and-display-of/ta-p/1294793

I thought people were referring to performance mode in battery settings, but it's actually in a different program. If there's any yellow issues now I can't really tell. I can take a photo if you like.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

hayden. posted:

I actually just found this which helped a LOT: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-2-Pro-Pentile-matrix-RGBW-characteristics-and-display-of/ta-p/1294793

I thought people were referring to performance mode in battery settings, but it's actually in a different program. If there's any yellow issues now I can't really tell. I can take a photo if you like.

Take a battery test and see how long it actually lasts with their "fix" in place, if you get a chance?

Also this

That forum post posted:

1) Swipe from the right edge of the display or touchpad to fly out the Charms bar

I had to read several times. Windows 8, mothafuckas!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

What kind of battery test? I'm watching a 1080p video and web surfing at the same time and it says 3 hours, 20 minutes left at 86%. Medium high brightness. No idea how accurate it is though.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

The change to High Performance mode to make the yellows look better but drains the battery like crazy because literally everything is maxed out. You can however adjust the "High Performance" plan to have more balanced settings.

The bug is pretty big though because none of the changes stick when the lid is closed or the computer put to sleep.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

hayden. posted:

Nah I'm good. I'm one of the people who can easily spot PenTile and it makes me angry. I can see it from 3 feet away on a 316PPI Galaxy Nexus so it's not gonna fly on a 276PPI laptop, especially since it's the extra-inferior RGBW layout.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Nah I'm good. I'm one of the people who can easily spot PenTile and it makes me angry. I can see it from 3 feet away on a 316PPI Galaxy Nexus so it's not gonna fly on a 276PPI laptop, especially since it's the extra-inferior RGBW layout.
Strong username/content.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I didn't realize laptops ever used non-standard subpixel arrangements. Is pentile or other such things common?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

To be fair, with my nose on the trackpad, I can only barely tell that it's PenTile. From about 12-14 inches away I can't see any pixel edges or patterns at all. My face would never be this close to the screen in reality so I don't care.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

I didn't realize laptops ever used non-standard subpixel arrangements. Is pentile or other such things common?
I'm guessing it's a cheap way to do high pixel density. When you pack the pixels tighter, there's a higher percentage of space between the pixels than on a lower-density screen, so PenTile uses fewer and larger subpixels to keep the screen bright enough. RGBW is specifically made for higher brightness. An RGB panel either needs to have tighter manufacturing tolerances (more expensive) or a brighter backlight (uses more power). I'd imagine most people can't see it or don't care, but people who care about color accuracy or just screen spergs in general hate it.

hayden. posted:

To be fair, with my nose on the trackpad, I can only barely tell that it's PenTile. From about 12-14 inches away I can't see any pixel edges or patterns at all. My face would never be this close to the screen in reality so I don't care.
Yeah, that's what most people say. It looks like a screen door to me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You could always wait for the Thinkpad Yoga; at 1920x1080 they'll probably use a standard panel. If you can handle such a low resolution.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

I'm guessing it's a cheap way to do high pixel density. When you pack the pixels tighter, there's a higher percentage of space between the pixels than on a lower-density screen, so PenTile uses fewer and larger subpixels to keep the screen bright enough. RGBW is specifically made for higher brightness. An RGB panel either needs to have tighter manufacturing tolerances (more expensive) or a brighter backlight (uses more power). I'd imagine most people can't see it or don't care, but people who care about color accuracy or just screen spergs in general hate it.

Yeah, that's what most people say. It looks like a screen door to me.

FWIW pentile on a phone looks like a screen door to me and annoys me so much I had to return the one phone I bought that had one. But I didn't notice the Y2P was pentile until today and I had to basically stick my eye up to the screen to tell.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

FWIW pentile on a phone looks like a screen door to me and annoys me so much I had to return the one phone I bought that had one. But I didn't notice the Y2P was pentile until today and I had to basically stick my eye up to the screen to tell.
That's promising. Too bad about the yellow, though. Still gonna go with the T440s.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Does anyone know a way to increase the scrolling speed on the YP2 touch screen? Right now it just follows my finger but that's pretty laborious for long pages. I think there was a Chrome extension I found with my first Yoga but can't find it again.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

What's odd to me about the Yoga yellow issue is that the panel is, as I understand, also used in the Kira book and Samsung's high end ultra book; neither have had the same complaints. Perhaps that bodes well for a software or firmware fix. It's not a deal breaker for me, though I can see how it could be for others.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
When will Lenovo release the 440x lines in the UK?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Yudo posted:

What's odd to me about the Yoga yellow issue is that the panel is, as I understand, also used in the Kira book and Samsung's high end ultra book; neither have had the same complaints. Perhaps that bodes well for a software or firmware fix. It's not a deal breaker for me, though I can see how it could be for others.

The Ativ Book 9+ also has the issue with yellow it's just not quite as pronounced. But yeah its looking like a BIOS update will be coming in the next week or so.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
So I received an email this morning saying my T440s has shipped. The Lenovo order status website doesn't appear to be working, but last I checked my estimated shipping date was November 20th. So, as usual, the estimated shipping dates mean nothing. UPS doesn't have the tracking information up yet. Any idea where they ship from and what estimated delivery time typically is?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Getting Windows in English down here: custom order - 2 / 3 weeks. OSX ? Choose English at first boot, bam, done.
MBA here I come.

Any recommendation for a pretentious sleeve and mouse to go with my new toy ?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

gman14msu posted:

So I received an email this morning saying my T440s has shipped. The Lenovo order status website doesn't appear to be working, but last I checked my estimated shipping date was November 20th. So, as usual, the estimated shipping dates mean nothing. UPS doesn't have the tracking information up yet. Any idea where they ship from and what estimated delivery time typically is?
Same. On Friday or thereabouts I vaguely remember a shipping date of the 8th or so on the site. Since then I've just been getting a sweet throwback to win3.1 or thereabouts:

I ordered a spare AC adapter which was mailed separately. It was shipped "UPS 3 Day Select" from Greensboro NC on Oct 30th and was delivered (in the SF Bay Area) today.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Nevermind that ac adapter shipping example. Looks like the laptop itself is shipping entirely differently, as "UPS Worldwide Expedited"

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I went to Best Buy yesterday and tried to buy the Yoga 2 Pro for their $899 sale. Dude said they were out of them and they'd expect more on Wednesday and the sale would be going on all week. Now on their site it looks like all my local stores are out and the price says $999.

Anyone know what's going on with the price?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 4, 2013

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.
So I finally bit the bullet and did a completely OEM 8.1 install on my Lenovo Thinkpad Twist (after the D.O.A./bad burn restore fiasco). So everything is up and running really well, including expresscache. Is there anything from Lenovo I should install now to improve my experience since I don't have any of their default software on here now? Thanks!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

woodhead posted:

So I finally bit the bullet and did a completely OEM 8.1 install on my Lenovo Thinkpad Twist (after the D.O.A./bad burn restore fiasco). So everything is up and running really well, including expresscache. Is there anything from Lenovo I should install now to improve my experience since I don't have any of their default software on here now? Thanks!

I go with the power manager and auto updater and that's about it on my thinkpad.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

Nevermind that ac adapter shipping example. Looks like the laptop itself is shipping entirely differently, as "UPS Worldwide Expedited"

In my [limited] experience, custom built laptops come direct from China, accessories come from your local Lenovo warehouse.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
A friend of mine is looking for a laptop to use as a virtual machine host.

He was thinking of using something like this

• 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz)
  • Windows Server 2012
  • 32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz
  • 1.5TB RAID 0 (2x750GB 7200RPM) + 80GB mSATA SSD Caching
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M with 3GB GDDR5
  • Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVDRW, CD-RW)
  • 17.3" WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare Display
  • Broadcom 4352 802.11 ac 2x2 and Bluetooth 4.0
  • 8-cell Lithium Ion (86 wHr)

I'm not sure that he should be looking there, because the page describes it as a "full gaming" laptop, and he does not intend to use it for gaming.

Will that do as a virtual machine host?
If it will, are there any known issues with the hardware?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

A friend of mine is looking for a laptop to use as a virtual machine host.?

This needs a lot of clarification. A Bay Trail embedded board can function as a "virtual machine host". I develop virtualization products for a living and would never buy something like that, but you should probably clarify what he actually wants to do, since that's throwing money away unless he needs to carry a nested vSphere environment with him (and probably even then).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What is his budget and how many hosts is he planning to run? Because that can run the gamut from your bog average 8GB laptop all the way to what you described.

I do a fair amount of VMware work and run a lot of utility VMs to supplement what is available in Win8 and I think the 12GB on my T440s will be more than enough to get me by, and my i5 should do pretty well as well. If he's planning on running more VMs then he'll probably need more RAM but it could just be that he's looking to run a virtualized vSphere environment for VMware testing or something, which he can probably get away with something a lot leaner.

Just going off a vague description I'd say you should be looking for something with an i7, 12-16GB RAM, and room for two drives: One SSD, one 7200RPM ~1TB.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 5, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Thanks for the advice so far. I talked to him to get some more details. He'll be running at least concurrent 4 Windows servers (Win2k8 R2 and/or Win2k12); one will be a database server and one will be a webserver and probably a Linux server running Tomcat. In addition, one or two desktops Win7 & Win8 will be used, but probably not concurrently.

He does need this on a laptop to take with him and do product demos with.

Currently, he runs an ESXi/VSphere environment but for that he'd need to take two laptops; one for the VM hosting and one for client access.

The most important factor for him is reliability - his past experience with Dell hasn't been good, and he's hoping that Alienware hasn't degenerated into terribleness now that they're owned by Dell. As long as it works reliably, the cost doesn't matter so much (within reason).

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Thanks for the advice so far. I talked to him to get some more details. He'll be running at least concurrent 4 Windows servers (Win2k8 R2 and/or Win2k12); one will be a database server and one will be a webserver and probably a Linux server running Tomcat. In addition, one or two desktops Win7 & Win8 will be used, but probably not concurrently.

He does need this on a laptop to take with him and do product demos with.

Currently, he runs an ESXi/VSphere environment but for that he'd need to take two laptops; one for the VM hosting and one for client access.

The most important factor for him is reliability - his past experience with Dell hasn't been good, and he's hoping that Alienware hasn't degenerated into terribleness now that they're owned by Dell. As long as it works reliably, the cost doesn't matter so much (within reason).
T-series thinkpad with 16gb or 32gb (depending on his budget), 2nd SSD in the Ultrabay for the IO intensive VMs, extended battery. Cheaper, lighter, better battery life, does everything he needs and more.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

So, I just bought the Y410p using B&N, but then I remember this post from a couple months ago with regards to using SSD over the 1TB 5400 HD:

QuarkJets posted:

So my Y410p arrived a few hours ago. In that time I've replaced the HDD with an SSD, slapped the HDD into the ultrabay slot, freshly installed windows 8 on the SSD, and installed a bunch of stuff. A lot of people in the thread have asked for guides on doing this kind of thing with the Y410p/Y510p, so here it is:

First of all, start your laptop normally. Make sure that everything is actually working before you do anything. If you've never booted it before, go ahead and go through the normal Windows 8 startup screens and get the laptop into a normal working state.

Before we start

SSD Installation

Installing Windows 8

OPTIONAL: Replacing the DVD drive with the 1TB HDD

I hope this still works when my laptop comes in.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

He needs a w series, probably a w520 or so, with as much ran as her can afford, probably 24 or 32 GB.

VMs don't use hardly any CPU, but will happily use 3gb each.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dancing Peasant posted:

So, I just bought the Y410p using B&N, but then I remember this post from a couple months ago with regards to using SSD over the 1TB 5400 HD:

I hope this still works when my laptop comes in.

Should still work great, unless they started welding the case shut or something; the whole thing is pretty easy, feel free to ask questions here if anything is confusing

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Hadlock posted:

He needs a w series, probably a w520 or so, with as much ran as her can afford, probably 24 or 32 GB.

VMs don't use hardly any CPU, but will happily use 3gb each.

If you're on an idiotic hypervisor which doesn't merge memory pages, you're virtualizing 8 different operating systems which all need 2GB, or whatever, sure. 16GB is plenty for a Java app server, a SQL server, vCenter, and whatever else on any competent virtualization technology, which will lower the effective memory usage of 4 Win2k8R2 VMs from 8GB to 3GB in practice.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Hi thread,

A friend of mine asked me for a laptop recommendation and aside from buying my wife a Yoga last year I've kind of been out of the loop. Her budget is no more than $800 and she needs Office. I want the best build quality in that price range - I was thinking a Lenovo x230 but I only have experience with T series and the Yoga. With Office and Win 8 it comes out to $859 which is slightly over budget.

Any recommendations? The OP is a little out of date.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Kaddish posted:

Hi thread,

A friend of mine asked me for a laptop recommendation and aside from buying my wife a Yoga last year I've kind of been out of the loop. Her budget is no more than $800 and she needs Office. I want the best build quality in that price range - I was thinking a Lenovo x230 but I only have experience with T series and the Yoga. With Office and Win 8 it comes out to $859 which is slightly over budget.

Any recommendations? The OP is a little out of date.

Lenovo outlet site, should be able to find a refurbished T430 or X230 for under $700. They come with a year warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
As the days pass, I'm experiencing the Lenovo shipping shenanigans I've read about in this thread.

Nov 20th delivery turned into a Nov 7th then turned into a Nov 15th and with that last change I get an email notice saying it will ship within 30 days.

I guess its boat from China hit rough waters :haw:

Edit:

Kaddish, I ordered an x230 because it has the same build quality as a T series. It happens to be pricier but with a smaller footprint. Good luck in the outlet!

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 6, 2013