Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There is an intersection like this on my way home from work. Road A fills up and the people going straight generally don't block the intersection when the light turns red. But there is a left turn signal for road B. These people just go into the intersection and block it. If they're not doing that, they're continuing through after their left turn signal turns red. Or they're doing both. As I am on Road B trying to cross Road A, I relish opportunity to be the first one at the light so I can honk at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Intersection not clear? Don't loving enter it, no matter which color the light is. I've had people honk, flash their lights and flip me off because I remained stopped at a green light because the road was packed up on the other side all the way back into the intersection.

On an old commute I used to run there was this small town main street section where people would cross a double yellow to pass me as I was waiting at the stop line for an intersection to clear. If they weren't quite brave enough to do that, any time they saw I had more than 6 inches of air in front of my bumper they'd go loving bonkers with their horn.

I was just trying to avoid blocking cross traffic because I knew the light was about to change you jerks. :smith:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There's a reasonably large intersection (SR7/441 and Commercial Blvd for any SoFla goons) near my parents house that was bad for YEARS, because there is a turnpike entrance/exit just west on Commercial, and both roads are 3+ lanes each way, and busy.

They put up do not block signs. No change. They redesigned and rebuilt the entire intersection and changed the signaling. No change.

They finally fixed it by putting a couple cops at the intersection every rush hour for a month. Not only is it (mostly) better now, but they probably paid for their own time with fines. :v:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

bolind posted:

On my morning commute I was stopped for red, in the right turn lane, in a fairly big intersection. But I got out the door a little late, so rush hour was winding down, and on the particular road that I was turning on to, traffic comes in weird waves due to other lights. Long story short, there was probably 30 secs left of my red light, and the intersection was empty.

So this dude two lanes over from me, stopped in the left-turn lane, suddenly did a perfectly executed left turn. On red.

I honked my horn like a maniac, mainly to alert anybody that hadn't seen it. He stopped for 10 secs in the middle of the intersection, then did his turn, and went on his way. Nothing happened, and he didn't get plowed down by forty tons of semi-truck.

In Washington State, right-on-red across traffic (if clear) was legal, at least when I moved out here. (It was even covered in the driver's license handbook.) Not sure if it's still kosher, but I'm sure some other WaGoons can verify.

However, IMO, gently caress that. People are driving stupid enough without giving them *another* chance to "judge" the situation like that. "Oh, it was clear for me to go!" <45mph cross traffic a half block out as they crept into the intersection>

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I don't mind these. I know how they work. People in metro Phoenix? Not so much. It's two lanes. STOP CUTTING ACROSS IT AND PUTTING ME IN PANIC MODE EVERY SINGLE DAY. Look! Google Maps even has someone doing right then and there!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

kastein posted:

The intersection at the end of the road my job is on is pretty bad, there's no light or traffic control of any kind (aside from a stop sign for the side road) and it pulls out onto a persistently jammed up 4 lane main street with lights every 200 feet. Putting someone in the drivers seat and getting them to take a left through traffic is a great test of whether they know how fast they can accelerate or have any balls at all.

Most people take the "inch forward out of the side street until they are blocking two lanes of oncoming traffic, then take a left when possible" approach. I'm not sure I can blame them.

I ended up gunning it back into the through lane when no cars were coming on my side and turning left a block further down, like I should have in the first place.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

atomicthumbs posted:

I ended up gunning it back into the through lane when no cars were coming on my side and turning left a block further down, like I should have in the first place.

I wait for an appropriately sized gap in traffic and then gun it, whip left, and take off. Lots of low end torque and being deeply geared for my tire size are nice sometimes. Hell, all the time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh god there's a really bad bridge intersection near my house, Florida SR 436 and I-4. link

When there's any kind of volume at all, the whole thing jams up. Traffic on 436 westbound gets let off the bridge but then stopped at the light for Douglas, which blocks the left-turning traffic coming from I-4 west onto 436 east. Then when their path finally clears, they whip forward onto the bridge, which has a similar situation on the other side so there's no room for them, but they're all impatient cause they had to wait so they just keep piling through the intersection regardless of space, and that blocks the traffic turning left off the bridge onto I-4, often to the point only 1 or 2 cars make it out of each turning lane onto the ramp. Add to that the fact that the middle lane coming off I-4 turns both left and right, so you occasionally get jokers turning in front of the westbound 436 traffic unexpectedly, and the whole thing's one giant clusterfuck of epic proportions - trying to get anywhere in Altamonte is a notorious no-go just because of the hassle.

Luckily they're getting ready to redo it, as seen here (page 16, it's rotated to the right). The redesigned bridge interchange should flow much better, and nixing the intersection at Douglas should be a huge improvement. Really, looking at the redesign shows how completely inadequate the current setup is.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FogHelmut posted:

There is an intersection like this on my way home from work. Road A fills up and the people going straight generally don't block the intersection when the light turns red. But there is a left turn signal for road B. These people just go into the intersection and block it. If they're not doing that, they're continuing through after their left turn signal turns red. Or they're doing both. As I am on Road B trying to cross Road A, I relish opportunity to be the first one at the light so I can honk at them.

Same here. I really love to lay it on when that happens. I think I make quite a few old ladies feel bad for their terrible choices in life.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

Maybe this is just the way people do things, but it made my butt pucker.

I was approaching the High Five Interchange

Just thinking about 635 (or even the high five) makes my butt pucker.

I avoid both at almost any cost.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

xzzy posted:

any time they saw I had more than 6 inches of air in front of my bumper they'd go loving bonkers with their horn.

When people do this and I'm on an uphill incline I like to roll back in neutral, so they think I don't know how to hill start and the honking usually stops right away.

And yes WA has right-on-red which leads to a LOT of hilarity and poor decisions. Especially when it involves an intersection with a no-right-on-red sign. Theres a few in Seattle with incredibly visible signs that like clockwork get me honked at every time because I actually obey the law.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Drunken Lullabies posted:

When people do this and I'm on an uphill incline I like to roll back in neutral, so they think I don't know how to hill start and the honking usually stops right away.

If I roll back more than a few inches, I usually get a nonstop horn for several seconds. Then again, it's pretty flat here. I've had someone lay on their horn for rolling back about 2 inches, then road rage for the next couple of miles. :wtc:

I don't know anything about the almost-stalling-but-not-quite-stalling starts or the shifts-that-make-the-whole-car-jerk-violently (followed by "accelerate like a 240D") when someone is being a complete douchecannon. :unsmith:

WA has right-on-red which leads to a LOT of hilarity and poor decisions. Especially when it involves an intersection with a no-right-on-red sign. Theres a few in Seattle with incredibly visible signs that like clockwork get me honked at every time because I actually obey the law.

TX also has right on red unless posted (you can also turn left on red if both streets are one way, unless posted). There's an intersection I'm at pretty often that has four no right on red signs posted. I still get honked at pretty often there (there is absolutely zero visibility to turn unless you're halfway into a lane at that intersection). The only real rear end in a top hat I've run into there sat on his horn for about 15 seconds until I got out of the car and pointed at all 4 of the signs. At least I got a half assed "sorry" wave from him.. :fuckoff:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 2, 2013

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
It's a huge stereotype that Boston drivers are terrible, but I honestly don't think they're that bad. Which is to say of course that drivers everywhere are terrible. I actually almost always have people give me space when I use my turn signal, whereas everyone else I talk to acts like it's a fool's errand. Maybe everyone else I talk to is an rear end in a top hat that signals right as they change lanes.

Another thing that actually mostly works around here is turning on red. We're allowed to unless there's a sign, and I'll see honking if people fail to turn and there's no sign, but it's actually pretty rare for people to honk when there is a sign. I also don't see THAT much turning when there's a sign.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

And yes WA has right-on-red which leads to a LOT of hilarity and poor decisions. Especially when it involves an intersection with a no-right-on-red sign. Theres a few in Seattle with incredibly visible signs that like clockwork get me honked at every time because I actually obey the law.

This drives me up a wall. Here in Phoenix those are usually limited to offramp intersections onto surface streets so they're angled up. A few roll backs usually gets them to freak out more which makes the honking worthwhile. Metro cops could make the city bank if they just sat across the street from these things.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

some texas redneck posted:

Just thinking about 635 (or even the high five) makes my butt pucker.

I avoid both at almost any cost.

poo poo I ride that every day to and from work. 635 is a poo poo ton for fun these days with random lane closings and random exits being shut down. Highway backup up to poo poo I'll just get off at 35 north, nope gently caress me it's constructions and gridlock there too. Get off going 35 south and swing around notrh to get off on valley view, gently caress me sideways, the first exit going south is closed and when you do get off the high way to make the turn to go north, the next 6 on ramps are closed, ended up street light surface streets all the way.

I'm drat glad I work the overnight shift. (I go into work at 11pm and unless they have the highway completely shut down it's not that bad.)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I don't know if any drivers are to blame here but holy poo poo a truck losing a retread right in front of you while you're doing 75mph is terrifying. I felt like a boss afterwards for dodging it and getting a little drift in the process, right after I'd stopped shaking.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
How'd the guy behind you do? :ohdear:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Thankfully no one immediately behind me but it caused a whole lot of lane changing for the pack of cars about 500m further than that.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Every day coming home from work I have to deal with this intersection. I want to turn right (Coming from the right, and then turning to go up), follow that lane and then get on the freeway to go home. For some unknown reasom, if traffic is coming towards them, people will come to a complete stop and sit there until all traffic has stopped and then go. This is in a merge lane that goes on for well over a mile before it eventually turns off to join the freeway. Because gently caress everyone else, they need to jump over 3 lanes to get to that Walmart RIGHT loving NOW instead of turning in at the second entrance. I've given up trying to flash my lights at these people, they genuinely don't seem to understand how to speed up and merge in.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Literally no one in Sacramento knows how to navigate a 4-way stop. They think that if they bunch close enough together it is OK to go more than one car at once.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Sinestro posted:

Literally no one in Sacramento knows how to navigate a 4-way stop. They think that if they bunch close enough together it is OK to go more than one car at once.

It's absolutely terrifying when the lights poo poo themselves and just flash red. It turns into a 12 lane game of extreme chicken, where the only way to pass is to close your eyes and slam on the throttle.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

TX also has right on red unless posted (you can also turn left on red if both streets are one way, unless posted).

I thought all states had these. Hmmm, more you know.

This area has a problem with messy intersections that likely derived from horsepaths, with endless deviations from T or cross shapes that inevitably confuse people. Example:

Now this intersection is a mess for a variety of reasons (there's an awful five-way that feeds into it not far to the east, it combines two fairly high speed roads then runs through a college, etc) but what I wanted to show is this. Look at how many carlengths a southbound car has to move to get through the intersection. What isn't immediately obvious from the sat shot is that the east side is up a big hill, blocking all visibility of oncoming traffic, and making westbound panic braking a crapshoot - that truck heading west is probably at the crest. So people turning heading S-W and turning right have a huge distance to go with extremely poor view of whether there's oncoming traffic.

Or would, except it's not a right turn. It's a straight. You can kind of tell by the visible painted arrows, and there's signage next to the line indicating straight - which people blow past to make their 'right'. There's no 'no right turn on red' signs, because it's not a right turn. None of these keep people from blundering into the intersection.

It doesn't help matters that there are intersections all over town like this:

... where an obvious W->E straight is marked as a right with a sign instructing you to turn 'right' on red after stop. This is probably a 'turn' because of the street naming, but that rule is broken in the other example.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Date night with the wife earlier since the kid is staying with one of his friends for a sleep over. On the way home, we were behind a Chevy blazer with two kids bouncing around in the back - it was pretty obvious they should have been in forward facing seats/child restraints. But no, they were jumping around like kids do. Its not enough this jackass is diving around with unrestrained children, to top it off the driver is swerving around and driving like a fuckstick in general.

So I call the police, followed them long enough to give the police their location and tag. Was happy to see a cruiser swoop in pull them over. So hopeful we saved some kids lives tonight... At least for tonight anyway

:feelsgood:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

PhoenixWing posted:

It's absolutely terrifying when the lights poo poo themselves and just flash red. It turns into a 12 lane game of extreme chicken, where the only way to pass is to close your eyes and slam on the throttle.

Today was ridiculous since there was a wind storm in Seattle that knocked out power all over. So many dead stop lights and no one understands what to do when that happens.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah and even if you do it is honestly pretty hard to keep track of which car stopped first when you have like a million lanes each way.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

CharlesM posted:

Yeah and even if you do it is honestly pretty hard to keep track of which car stopped first when you have like a million lanes each way.

And a lot of intersections here have really really poor visibility (especially for other drivers) and rely on the turn arrow signals to work. At least I got to see a few funny not serious car accidents.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

We usually have police directing traffic is that not a thing in the USA?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
We have far, far more intersections than we have police.

We also don't do the police auxiliaries or whatever y'all call deputies / volunteers on anything like the same scale.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Nothing like being yelled at for parking in a handicapped spot... When you aren't parked in a handicapped spot. Or anywhere near a handicapped spot.

Me thinks the other driver was handicapped... Mentally

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

PhoenixWing posted:

After the derecho in northern Virginia last year there were about five traffic lights in the whole of Arlington and Fairfax County that worked, just at the biggest intersections, all the rest were dead... and 99% of people treated them like a giant four-way stop, leaving room for the 1% of them who were too dumb to bother to drive like nuts without causing much mayhem. It actually loving worked. It probably helped a lot that the radio stations were telling people to do that, but I was amazed that it worked so well on 6-lane roads with inner-suburb traffic.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Shrapnac posted:

Honestly this may be my biggest issue with other drivers. Why is the concept of getting up to speed to merge into traffic so difficult. If you're getting on a highway where everyone is going 70+ why do you think you should edge out into traffic at 45?

I'm from Chicago and people JUST DON'T DO THIS. However, when I started working out in Pennsylvania back in the '90's I saw it all the time and kind of figured out why. Pennsylvania's limited access highways are among the oldest in the nation and were surveyed and built in a totally retarded way. Locals can back me up on this. Cloverleafs entering some of their major highways (I-76, for example) are loving TINY, some with a radius of maybe 100 ft:

http://goo.gl/maps/sPufd

Then the merge lanes can be as short as 100ft:

http://goo.gl/maps/xuJBj

This teaches people who learned to drive in Pennsylvania and parts of New Jersey to act like morons when it comes to merging. I saw people in Delaware last weekend pull to a stop at the bottom of a gigantic radius cloverleaf with a mile-long protected merge and loving KNEW that they learned to drive in Pennsylvania.

In case anyone thinks I'm an apologist for these dumb-fucks, I saw someone do this ahead of me earlier this week on I-294 outside Chicago and I pulled up next to them, rolled my window down in a steady rain and used everyone of George Carlin's seven words in attempting to highlight the errors of his ways (well, except maybe tits).

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Das Volk posted:

I measured that the M3's speedometer in the UK read high by 3%, so judging by this thread I'm a little surprised. 10% is quite a bit, do you guys think that mfrs do that to game CAFE regulations?
My 944 S2's speedo is like 5mph optimistic when it reads 60mph.

YF19pilot posted:

Guy comes in with a AWD Ford Explorer. The right rear tire has been making all sorts of racket ever since he had a flat on that tire and bought a new one. Well, since then, he's replaced the bearings, the struts, pretty much a once over on everything mechanical. He was in for four new tires that day. The noise stopped.
(I know, this is probably one of those things that's not very well known to the general public at large, but I can still imagine how the guy felt knowing the issue was simpler, and probably cheaper, than everything else he tried to fix).
I had a ticking noise from the right rear of the car. I suspected a CV joint. Replaced all 4 tires as the police gave me a warning for their condition (fronts slightly perished). Had a look at the old tires and oh hey, a stone lodged in the grooves.

Falken fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 3, 2013

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I don't mind these. I know how they work. People in metro Phoenix? Not so much. It's two lanes. STOP CUTTING ACROSS IT AND PUTTING ME IN PANIC MODE EVERY SINGLE DAY. Look! Google Maps even has someone doing right then and there!

Is it normal in the US to have multi-lane roundabouts without lane markings? If I saw that here in Australia, I'd tell you it was a single lane roundabout, no questions. I've never seen a multi-lane roundabout without markings, and we've got them everywhere. If the one you posted is multi-lane, I blame the road designers for not putting in markings and confusing everyone. I'd probably treat it as a single lane as well if I don't know otherwise.

Something like this is how I'm used to multi-lane being marked:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, but it's normal for cities to do a terrible job maintaining road markings. They don't paint often enough and use poo poo paint so it wears off in about a year.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

No, but it's normal for cities to do a terrible job maintaining road markings. They don't paint often enough and use poo poo paint so it wears off in about a year.

This. This particular roundabout sits between a city line and a very large resort. City says it's private and the resort should maintain it. The resort says its the city's problem because it's the only passage connecting two major surface streets. The slap fight leads to it being not maintained. You see the dark patches? A water main beneath it burst and the entire thing collapsed last year. Neither party wanted to fix it so a private citizen near by came in with a rented Bobcat and hamfisted his way through the repair. So now it still isn't marked correctly and I wouldn't taken anything less than an F150 over it.

edit: I'm hoping they eventually figure it out and mark it single lane and paint off the double entry lanes. Easy, cheap and it would keep people from doing stupid poo poo.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 4, 2013

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This. This particular roundabout sits between a city line and a very large resort. City says it's private and the resort should maintain it. The resort says its the city's problem because it's the only passage connecting two major surface streets. The slap fight leads to it being not maintained. You see the dark patches? A water main beneath it burst and the entire thing collapsed last year. Neither party wanted to fix it so a private citizen near by came in with a rented Bobcat and hamfisted his way through the repair. So now it still isn't marked correctly and I wouldn't taken anything less than an F150 over it.

edit: I'm hoping they eventually figure it out and mark it single lane and paint off the double entry lanes. Easy, cheap and it would keep people from doing stupid poo poo.

Haha, that's ridiculous, but not surprising at all. I'm finding it more and more common that cities are expecting developers/resorts/etc to basically maintain what normally would have been public roads.

Could almost have a sister thread, "These are the people who build the terrible roads you drive on" :)

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

JBark posted:

Is it normal in the US to have multi-lane roundabouts without lane markings? If I saw that here in Australia, I'd tell you it was a single lane roundabout, no questions. I've never seen a multi-lane roundabout without markings, and we've got them everywhere. If the one you posted is multi-lane, I blame the road designers for not putting in markings and confusing everyone. I'd probably treat it as a single lane as well if I don't know otherwise.

This is a multilane roundabout. I do my best to avoid using that roundabout when approaching from the northeast because drivers in the left lane cut straight through when going straight (or make right turns from that lane) and drivers in the right lane swing wide when making a right turn because it's off camber. This white hilux for example is straddling the line between two lanes. We're too busy putting up flashing lights and dragons teeth in school zones to worry about properly marking major roads.

Edit: Never have that problem coming from the southwest though, everyone sticks to their lane from that direction.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 4, 2013

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

TX also has right on red unless posted (you can also turn left on red if both streets are one way, unless posted).

Yeah, I can't think of a single state I've been to that didn't allow right on red unless otherwise posted...or maybe I was the idiot everyone had to share the road with making all kinds of illegal turns?

Friar Zucchini posted:

After the derecho in northern Virginia last year there were about five traffic lights in the whole of Arlington and Fairfax County that worked, just at the biggest intersections, all the rest were dead... and 99% of people treated them like a giant four-way stop, leaving room for the 1% of them who were too dumb to bother to drive like nuts without causing much mayhem. It actually loving worked. It probably helped a lot that the radio stations were telling people to do that, but I was amazed that it worked so well on 6-lane roads with inner-suburb traffic.

The derecho was also great for wiping out roads and bridges entirely! I still have some pictures somewhere from a couple of already lovely and unsafe spots I drove up on in Great Falls only to discover a watery void. That area has a love affair with low, one lane bridges, often near blind corners. I was hoping that they would put in some real civilized bridges after the old ones got washed away, but nope! For some reason they think it prevents people from speeding or some bullshit, and we can't have anybody disagreeing with the ultra-rich!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

JBark posted:

Could almost have a sister thread, "These are the people who build the terrible roads you drive on" :)

There's this traffic engineer thread in Ask/Tell http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177805&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Here's a nice little roundabout in Nijmegen that has no lane markings whatsoever and various traffic lights on it.

It's a bitch and a half to use it. The company I used to work for had a client nearby, and I always took care to avoid that roundabout whenever possible. Thankfully said client was located a bit to the south of it, and I had a few small city roads I could use to turn around and avoid the roundabout completely.