Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

futurememory posted:

Has anyone been watching Masterchef Junior? I haven't seen a thread for it, but the novelty of watching little kids cook far better than I ever could hasn't worn off. I've never even watched the regular Masterchef and I'm finding this to be really interesting reality television. Pure talent.

Watching little kids talk about all the hard work they put in to get there and how, no matter what, they won't give up on their dreams, in miniature duplication of inane reality-show talking-head banter, is magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Watching little kids talk about all the hard work they put in to get there and how, no matter what, they won't give up on their dreams, in miniature duplication of inane reality-show talking-head banter, is magical.

Were any of them there to make friends?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've only seen like three episodes of NCIS ever, but I guess I unironically enjoyed them. I like the goth girl and the :smug: dude, they're funny. I can imagine how old it would get to watch more than a few of though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Am I gonna have to post the double hacking vid? Don't make me do that poo poo y'all.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

zoux posted:

Were any of them there to make friends?

We haven't been given a complete survey, but those who checked in about that question reported that they were not, so extrapolate as you will.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

zoux posted:

Am I gonna have to post the double hacking vid? Don't make me do that poo poo y'all.
Gibbs shooting monitors to destroy supercomputers is part of the charm.

Back to The Mentalist chat, did the new episode air last night, or was it delayed until next week? I do not see it on the CBS website. The local affiliate aired a repeat, probably because football ran an hour late.

I wonder how many of The Mentalist goons started watching after Psych made fun of the show so many times. That's what piqued my curiousity, then I got hooked on Jane trolling the poo poo out of the CBI and murder suspects.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm 2 episodes behind on Hostages and this show is 110% in hate watch territory. It's basically Under the Dome levels of stupidity with slightly better production quality.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm 2 episodes behind on Hostages and this show is 110% in hate watch territory. It's basically Under the Dome levels of stupidity with slightly better production quality.

Under the dome is a lot more enjoyable, honestly. Hostages would have been a fine single episode of something, but no more than that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like Syfy's TV version of 12 Monkeys might actually be happening. They've cast Aaron Stanford (Nikita and the X-Men movies) as James Cole, the Bruce Willis part and the lovely Amanda Schull (Suits) as Cassandra Railly, the Madeline Stowe character.

I'm kind of surprised they're still working on it seeing as it has a fairly similar premise to Continuum, in that its about time travelers trying to alter the future.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I'm kind of surprised they're still working on it seeing as it has a fairly similar premise to Continuum, in that its about time travelers trying to alter the future.

Well, either the difference will be that in 12 Monkeys you definitively cannot change the future or they're changing things from the movie so much that god only knows what the final product will look like.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

grrarg posted:

That's what piqued my curiousity, then I got hooked on Jane trolling the poo poo out of the CBI and murder suspects.

If you like that then you'll LOVE The Glades.

I unironically liked the The Glades

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Writer Cath posted:

There's not even one for The Mentalist. That's a drat shame. It was a fine two page thread last season - so easy to catch up on!

I know, you know, that they're just ripping off Psych!

zoux posted:

NCIS's dumbness is part of its charm. It's definitely gone way downhill lately though.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I could barely tolerate NCIS as it is, but it seemed all of a sudden (within the last season or two) they started really laying on the backstory of the characters. I can't even be bothered.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I've only seen Homeland S1 and loved it but have heard bad things about S2 and 3 - is this generally accurate? If it's gonna end up being terrible I'd rather just stick with S1 and pretend it never got renewed.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Derek Agony posted:

I've only seen Homeland S1 and loved it but have heard bad things about S2 and 3 - is this generally accurate? If it's gonna end up being terrible I'd rather just stick with S1 and pretend it never got renewed.

Season 2 is really good in parts and is worth it just for an episode near the middle which is the best thing they've ever done. Season 3...well, it's not over yet, maybe it'll come back.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Season 3 has had a couple of ill-advised storylines (mostly concerning Dana) but the last couple of episodes have been good. Also, they've dialled back on the 24-ness that plagued the latter half of season 2, which is a good thing in my book.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Derek Agony posted:

I think most of season 2 is better than season 1, especially the first half which takes things a lot faster and ballsier than shows generally are. I mean there are about four episodes in a row that had me thinking "holy poo poo, that could have been a finale :stare:"

e: I'm waiting for season 3 to be over before I watch it though

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

IRQ posted:

I know, you know, that they're just ripping off Psych!

You don't have to like the Mentalist - which is fine - but it is in fact a different show from Psych, with a different style and different premise.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just saw the best commercial I'm ever going to see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdNEjLTZtc8

Except this one said NewOrleansJobsList.com . Apparently they've done this same commercial for multiple cities.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I just saw the best commercial I'm ever going to see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdNEjLTZtc8

Except this one said NewOrleansJobsList.com . Apparently they've done this same commercial for multiple cities.

I'm really sad media discovered twerkin :(

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You don't have to like the Mentalist - which is fine - but it is in fact a different show from Psych, with a different style and different premise.

Yeah, to say that it is ripping off Psych is just absolute bollocks, they are nothing alike. To say that they are would suggest never having seen the one or the other of them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

I'm really sad media discovered twerkin

I'm really sad humanity discovered it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

We should have stuck with daggering.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, to say that it is ripping off Psych is just absolute bollocks, they are nothing alike. To say that they are would suggest never having seen the one or the other of them.

Well there you have it, The Mentalist is unmistakably ripping off Psych.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

Honestly never heard this term before, though I've seen it happen. It's actually kind of impressive looking, aside from how... uh... hypersexualized... it is.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Trailer for a new Syfy show that looks pretty dang good. And it's created by Ronald D. Moore.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/11/04/trailer-helix/

Battlestar Galactica had a beautiful ending and this looks to continue that legacy

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

IRQ posted:

Well there you have it, The Mentalist is unmistakably ripping off Psych.

Wrong Joe.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Trailer for a new Syfy show that looks pretty dang good. And it's created by Ronald D. Moore.

Battlestar Galactica had a beautiful ending and this looks to continue that legacy

God created the virus?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

...! posted:

Wrong Joe.

It still applies.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mu Zeta posted:

"All of this has happened before...." Followed by a shot of Kurt Russel landing at Outpost 31. Cool.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Helix looks cool! Can't wait

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

precision posted:

Twerking was cool before it had the catchy name. The name made it easier for people to identify what it actually was. Now its played out like Cross-Colours.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

Twerking was cool before it had the catchy name. The name made it easier for people to identify what it actually was. Now its played out like Cross-Colours.

It's had that name for at least a couple decades, so the problem is society.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
That trailer for Helix looks pretty fantastic. I'm getting Thing vibes from it, which is always a good thing. Frozen Antarctic research stations always remind me of space, in a good way. The utter isolation, the nothingness for miles upon miles... I'm definitely in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So Walking Dead beat Sunday Night Football in the demo on Sunday again. Which is loving CRAZY.

I'd've posted this in the TWD thread but they don't really care about TV over there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm sure someone at AMC is frantically writing on a whiteboard:

- Cooking Dead?
- Breaking Dead?
- Walking Bad?
- Walking Bed?
- Walker, Dead-rear end Ranger?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually they are doing this:

But the leaves are money.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So is Hostages as horrible as the AV Club reviews suggest? Because it sounds like the Battlefield Earth of television.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

zoux posted:

So Walking Dead beat Sunday Night Football in the demo on Sunday again. Which is loving CRAZY.

I'd've posted this in the TWD thread but they don't really care about TV over there.
If this show starts winning (big) awards, I'm gonna walk into the loving ocean.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ufarn posted:

If this show starts winning (big) awards, I'm gonna walk into the loving ocean.

Get your swim trunks ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Maxwell Lord posted:

So is Hostages as horrible as the AV Club reviews suggest? Because it sounds like the Battlefield Earth of television.

I watched the first episode and it was really, really bad.

• Locked thread