Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Edit: nevermind.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
A bit more of a plug for my unofficial Misery patch:

I've re-enabled some cut-out graphics options that you can find if you dig deep into the user.ltx

The most notable of them are DX10.1 and MXAA (Called 'Smooth A-Test Objects' in the game files, or something similar)

The MXAA actually works, and makes things look much better. The most notable change is that power lines no longer look like weird broken lines at any distance beyond close range. They now look like actual power lines etc.

Compare this:

With this:

You can also see it on the trees etc.

It can have a pretty big performance hit, especially with Misery, as the implementation pretty much uses AA on everything, including the excessive amount of grass. So you can imagine that might be a bit of a strain. Might be worth it if you have a powerful rig, though.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 30, 2013

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

Yes, the radio freak outs during emissions are my idea.

They cut out during emissions. During psi-storms (different from emissions), they switch to an "unknown broadcast" that's mostly comprised of various screams/radio noise and Russian Number Stations.

Most of them come from UVB-76 (The Buzzer), although the recordings are quite poor quality as I got them off youtube.

Incidentially, if you ever wonder what the deal with the mentions of "Woodpeckers" is all about in the loading screen text, it's a reference to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Woodpecker

As far as I'm aware, this isn't actually in Misery 2.0 anywhere, just a reference to it. I quite like the idea of all these weird radio broadcasts somehow being linked to the original creators of the Zone, though.

If you're talking about the DLL that Swartz posted a link to, it goes into your bin folder. Make sure to back up the original, just incase.

What's the difference between a Pysi-Storm and an Emission?

E: It would've been a funny side mission to take down the woodpecker. Is it just coincidence that the station was there, or did it have everything to do with the CNPP.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 30, 2013

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Acquire Currency! posted:

What's the difference between a Pysi-Storm and an Emission?

E: It would've been a funny side mission to take down the woodpecker. Is it just coincidence that the station was there, or did it have everything to do with the CNPP.

Psi-storms are slightly weaker than emissions, I guess. Psi-storms don't have the huge "Hell is going on outside" thing going on. They don't have waves like Emissions do (where you see fire sweeping across everything)

Psi-storms are basically random discharges of psi-energy. If you're walking outside during one, you can see blue "discharges" that will fry everything that's caught in them. They're entirely random, so you could presumably walk through a psi-storm with no protection and provided you luck out and don't get hit by a blast you would be fine. Certain suits, in theory, also help you survive but in Misery I'd doubt it.

They were included in Atmosfear 3, along with Fallout, but Misery 2.0 base doesn't actually use them.

e: This is a psi-storm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy32SSErVc4

Misery slightly tweaks the skybox textures, but you get the idea.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Both the Duga 3 transmitter and receiver are near the CNPP and Pripyat, though "near" means several miles, nowhere near as close as in Clear Sky. Hard to say whether or not it had anything to do with the CNPP, though it being Soviet, it seems a little suspicious. Or maybe it's supposed to be suspicious and in fact they are completely unrelated. Nobody knows! (I think...)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Something like the Duga 3 was originally planned for the story of SoC.

There's a bunch of "cut documents" that were supposed to be ingame, that are only in Russian, about various experiments made with the different labs. X16 in particular was supposed to be in competition with whoever made the Brain Scorcher in order to create the "ideal" psy-field. X16 went down the route they did with the biological base, and the Brain Scorcher used something like Duga 3 that would send out a specific frequency etc.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I remember you get really really close to something identical to Duga 3 in Clear Sky in the final town just before the hospital, its right next to a construction site so you can get a good look but it feels very badly placed, its meant to be an awesome giant landmark but its just sort of shunted off the side.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I managed to get it really, really cheap so I bought Chernobyl Underground.

It looks.. interesting.

I haven't mustered up the courage to play it yet, but the gameplay makes it look like something else, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX0Gtn1SK2M

e: God, this is terrible. I regret paying £2 for this.

New revision of the Unofficial Misery Patch coming up. I've updated the psi-storm radio files to be better quality. I've taken a few recordings of Russian Numbers Stations from the Conet Project. Also updated the UP to 0.3 which includes a few minor fixes (mainly to do with dialog). Two of the "major" changes include being able to sell Sokolov's note to Owl, and the gaping hole in the Ark being boarded up so it doesn't look so ridiculous when you hide in there during an emission.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 31, 2013

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

I managed to get it really, really cheap so I bought Chernobyl Underground.

It looks.. interesting.

I haven't mustered up the courage to play it yet, but the gameplay makes it look like something else, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX0Gtn1SK2M

e: God, this is terrible. I regret paying £2 for this.

New revision of the Unofficial Misery Patch coming up. I've updated the psi-storm radio files to be better quality. I've taken a few recordings of Russian Numbers Stations from the Conet Project. Also updated the UP to 0.3 which includes a few minor fixes (mainly to do with dialog). Two of the "major" changes include being able to sell Sokolov's note to Owl, and the gaping hole in the Ark being boarded up so it doesn't look so ridiculous when you hide in there during an emission.

Wow that game looks godawful. It looks like there's a slight resurgence of STALKER-esque games. Here's one I just noticed to day on the Steam store, Nether. An apparently urban survival FPS! I don't exactly have cash to try it and it is one of those pre-release games. But I figured someone in here might be interested. Also it doesn't look like HUD vomit like the game Ddraig was playing.

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Swartz posted:

Just thought I'd post a cool new thing Bangalore did that does the following:
1) Greatly reduces microstutter in the game
2) Decreases lag caused by lua files
3) Increased memory ceiling before a crash

http://www.mediafire.com/download/15brgil3s1z47rs/lua.JIT.1.1.4.dll

It works with CS and COP. Make sure you back up your original lua.JIT.1.1.4.dll.

This caused CS to crash on me when switching areas. Not every time, but quite often.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ful posted:

This caused CS to crash on me when switching areas. Not every time, but quite often.

Odd, it should work. Maybe CS uses the dll in a different way. It was assumed that CS would work fine with it even though only COP was tested with it.

Looks like it's for COP only. Sorry about that, just went on what the author had said.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Swartz posted:

Odd, it should work. Maybe CS uses the dll in a different way. It was assumed that CS would work fine with it even though only COP was tested with it.

Looks like it's for COP only. Sorry about that, just went on what the author had said.

It does work well with Misery 2.0. It's not a total cure or anything but drat I really noticed things going smoother.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

It does work well with Misery 2.0. It's not a total cure or anything but drat I really noticed things going smoother.

Yeah, I've been playing through Winter of Death and hoooooly poo poo it actually runs somewhat smoothly instead of lagging every five seconds.

Quick SoC question: if I do any missions for Duty, will I end up pissing off Freedom? I want to do some Freedom jobs but first I want to do some work for Duty so I don't piss them off to the point that I can't go to the Bar peacefully.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One of the Duty missions is essentially "Destroy the Freedom base".

You can play both sides if you're clever. Freedom don't really have any overtly aggressive missions towards Duty, they just mainly focus on the Barrier.

One of the things I love about RMA is that the scene with Kruglov is much, much better written. It's now an actual hostage situation. In the pre-release builds, Wolfhound was originally part of a very militant squad of Freedom called "The Dogs". They shoot down Kruglov's helicopter and extort the information out of him. You either have the choice of siding with Wolfhound, siding with Kruglov, or trying to be a negotiator between the two. You can play either Kruglov or Freedom, but if you piss off Freedom by tricking them or just outright attacking them in order to defend Kruglov, they will become openly hostile to you. It's also on a bit of a time limit, as eventually Wolfhound will decide to go in guns blazing. It also slightly expands the "Defend the Barrier" mission, where if you agree to help them, but bail out they'll be pissed off at you.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 2, 2013

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Ddraig posted:

That's a shame. For the most part, I've been doing side missions that don't antagonize any factions to kill time. I've finished off a good part of Barkeep's missions (at least, the ones that aren't "Eliminate X mutant lair") and I figured I'd go see what the Duty guys near the Bar had to offer me. Thing is, they won't let me go through to their base. STALKER Wiki says they let me through after I finish Lab X-16, but I already finished off that section a while ago. Am I missing anything else? This is in SoC Complete, if it makes any difference.

edit:

Ddraig posted:

If I remember rightly, you need to talk to the Barkeep and he'll say that he put in a word with Duty and they'll let you through. Not entirely sure when that happens, though.
Thanks, I already found the problem: turns out I'm also supposed to talk to the guy guarding the Duty base proper so that he'll let me in. I'm a very smart stalker:downs:

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 3, 2013

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If I remember rightly, you need to talk to the Barkeep and he'll say that he put in a word with Duty and they'll let you through. Not entirely sure when that happens, though.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Isn't that the suicide mission that Skull and his posse recruit you for if you don't heed Veronin's warning?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think Voronin gives you the same mission eventually, but you can do it with Skull aswell.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I'm at my wit's end with crashes. Every time I gave the documents for the tunnel to Pripyat to Nitro, game would crash. So I started all over, completely new install, using all the fixes. I was extremely careful, making sure to run it as an administrator, never used quick saves, and kept the settings low even though my machine can handle more. Got all the way back to the same part, now it crashes when I try to show documents to Hermann at the ecologist's bunker. Here's what my log says:

quote:

intro_start game_loaded
* MEMORY USAGE: 451365 K
* End of synchronization A[1] R[1]
intro_delete ::update_game_loaded
compiling shader yuv2rgb
* [win32]: free[2115072 K], reserved[173632 K], committed[1905536 K]
* [ D3D ]: textures[762656 K]
* [x-ray]: crt heap[422219 K], process heap[14732 K], game lua[51227 K], render[390 K]
* [x-ray]: economy: strings[40314 K], smem[9870 K]
* [win32]: free[2116328 K], reserved[173616 K], committed[1904296 K]
* [ D3D ]: textures[762656 K]
* [x-ray]: crt heap[421793 K], process heap[14733 K], game lua[51240 K], render[390 K]
* [x-ray]: economy: strings[40314 K], smem[9870 K]
* Saving spawns...
* Saving objects...
* 13647 objects are successfully saved
* Game sniper jupiter 9.8.2013 8-22.scop is successfully saved to file 'c:\users\mdk\steam\steamapps\common\stalker call of pripyat\_appdata_\savedgames\sniper jupiter 9.8.2013 8-22.scop'

FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression : !phrase_dialog->m_PhraseVector.empty()
[error]Function : CPhraseDialog::SayPhrase
[error]File : D:\prog_repository\sources\trunk\xrGame\PhraseDialog.cpp
[error]Line : 146
[error]Description : No available phrase to say, dialog[jup_b6_scientist_nuclear_physicist_jupiter_docs]

stack trace:

e: Using 2.0.2QF with Ddraig's latest fix

Horns fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 4, 2013

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

[error]Description : No available phrase to say, dialog[jup_b6_scientist_nuclear_physicist_jupiter_docs]

You using a mod that affects dialog? I don't really know how the game files are set up, but if you put an empty string where it's looking for this, it should fix it.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Nope, not using anything except the latest version of Misery with the official patches and the latest fix Ddraig posted in the thread.

e: the fix before last that Ddraig posted had some dialog changes, but I don't think it involved any quest stuff, just incidental dialog from random NPCs...

Horns fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 4, 2013

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That's rather weird. I'll check out that particular dialog, as I don't think there should be anything in there that would cause such a crash.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
That would be awesome. Misery has hooked me bad, worse than any mod - or even any game now that I think about it - in a really long time, but the crashes are killing it for me.

I can upload my save somewhere if you need it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I think my favorite Crab bug is when he levitated through the skadvosk on his back before flying back into bed.

He's a weird one.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Where's the misery ammo in Jupiter now? The medic doesn't sell anything violent.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I just picked up SOC and I'm playing through with no mods. I'm only a few hours in but a quick question about artifacts and anomalies. A lot of the stuff makes it sound like the two of them go together. If I find a bunch of anomalies does that mean there's likely an artifact around, or is it just flavor text?

I'm assuming artifacts become better once I get in deeper but they don't really seem worth it now. A 2% damage reduction doesn't seem like much gain for all the radiation poisoning it takes to use it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Anomalies spawn artifacts.

For all three STALKER games I believe that each emission that occurs holds with it a chance to spawn an artifact in a given anomaly.

I know this behavior holds true with CoP, but I can't recall if it's the case in Vanilla Clear Sky and ShoC.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Dr_Amazing posted:

I just picked up SOC and I'm playing through with no mods. I'm only a few hours in but a quick question about artifacts and anomalies. A lot of the stuff makes it sound like the two of them go together.

In the first game anomalies and artifacts aren't necessarily together, so search around for artifacts anywhere that looks interesting. Most artifacts aren't worth equipping until you find ones that lower your radiation. In CS and CoP, artifacts spawn only in anomalies.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

I know this is a bit passe now, but this pretty much requires a 'DEAL WITH IT' to appear at the end.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Every time an animated gif of Crab shows up, I feel compelled to point out that the dude's entire function is to lay in bed and do nothing, yet he seems to be one of the buggiest--if not the buggiest--NPCs in CoP. It is hilarious.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm getting a crash whenever I try to talk to Garry about going back to Pripyat. As soon as I choose the pripyat dialog the game crashes with an access violation in the lua dll. I was using the optimized one, but I rolled it back and it makes no difference. Any suggestions?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slur, your fighting style is extremely problematic!

Did anyone model this gun for COP yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdvuZZOhW2U

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I'm getting a crash whenever I try to talk to Garry about going back to Pripyat. As soon as I choose the pripyat dialog the game crashes with an access violation in the lua dll. I was using the optimized one, but I rolled it back and it makes no difference. Any suggestions?

I suspect it has something to do with the dialogs_jupiter.script

I'm really sorry about these crashes, guys :(

My intent was to make it a smoother experience but the crashes annoy me. Maybe I'm too sensitive.

Ok, think I've figured this crash out. Open up dialogs_jupiter.script

Search for this section:

code:
function pay_cost_to_guide_to_pripyat(first_speaker, second_speaker)
	dialogs.relocate_money_from_actor(first_speaker, second_speaker, 12000)
end

function jup_b43_actor_has_12000_money(first_speaker, second_speaker)
	return db.actor:money() >= 12000
end

function jup_b43_actor_do_not_has_12000_money(first_speaker, second_speaker)
	return db.actor:money() < 12000
end
You have two options, either copy/paste the last two functions and change the new ones to "has_5000" or "do_not_has_5000" or just change the 12000 to 5000 in the function names.

So it should look something like this:

code:
function pay_cost_to_guide_to_pripyat(first_speaker, second_speaker)
	dialogs.relocate_money_from_actor(first_speaker, second_speaker, 12000)
end

function jup_b43_actor_has_5000_money(first_speaker, second_speaker)
	return db.actor:money() >= 12000
end

function jup_b43_actor_do_not_has_5000_money(first_speaker, second_speaker)
	return db.actor:money() < 12000
end

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 5, 2013

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Nitrox posted:

soundtrack for that video is really excellent. Still wish I could dub over any russian video with bandit jig though.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Seems like it would be functially identical to a gauss rifle.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I discovered ZRP is only a ~6MB file. I trust the OP when it says that it's the better and more updated mod, but what should I do if I'd still like to have Complete 2009's graphical enhancements (or their equivalent), which apparently didn't make it into ZRP?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

bobfather posted:

Anomalies spawn artifacts.

For all three STALKER games I believe that each emission that occurs holds with it a chance to spawn an artifact in a given anomaly.

I know this behavior holds true with CoP, but I can't recall if it's the case in Vanilla Clear Sky and ShoC.
This is not the case in vSoC, as there are no random emissions in vSoC. Many mods added moving anomalies and artifact spawning along with random emissions.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

NihilCredo posted:

I discovered ZRP is only a ~6MB file. I trust the OP when it says that it's the better and more updated mod, but what should I do if I'd still like to have Complete 2009's graphical enhancements (or their equivalent), which apparently didn't make it into ZRP?

You can pretty much copy and paste the textures from complete. Or use the photo realistic textures. I wouldn't recommend the absolute texture packs for SoC, they look really odd and ugly. Too sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ddraig posted:

You can pretty much copy and paste the textures from complete. Or use the photo realistic textures. I wouldn't recommend the absolute texture packs for SoC, they look really odd and ugly. Too sharp.

Thanks. What about the fancy FX (parallax, depth of field, motion blur, dynamic lighting)?