Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
e: in reference to Walking Dead winning awards:

I don't know, I don't see any of the actors winning the big awards. I could be wrong but I just don't see it. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I watched the first episode and it was really, really bad.

What's the premise? A Secret Service dude is kidnapped at home and forced to do stuff? Wasn't there a Harrison Ford movie about that already?

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Maxwell Lord posted:

So is Hostages as horrible as the AV Club reviews suggest? Because it sounds like the Battlefield Earth of television.

It's gloriously bad. I very much recommend watching it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

What's the premise? A Secret Service dude is kidnapped at home and forced to do stuff? Wasn't there a Harrison Ford movie about that already?

Dylan McDermott/Dermot Mulroney is an FBI agent who holds a surgeon's family hostage so she'll kill the President in surgery. There's a lot of really dumb poo poo packed into the first episode. I decided not to continue on past that. I would not be surprised if there's been about 2,000 plot twists in the episodes since then though. Seemed like it was the kind of show that really didn't care if anything made sense.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Deadpool posted:

Dylan McDermott/Dermot Mulroney is an FBI agent who holds a surgeon's family hostage so she'll kill the President in surgery. There's a lot of really dumb poo poo packed into the first episode. I decided not to continue on past that. I would not be surprised if there's been about 2,000 plot twists in the episodes since then though. Seemed like it was the kind of show that really didn't care if anything made sense.
Just send in Mr. Reese.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

I would not be surprised if there's been about 2,000 plot twists in the episodes since then though.

Surprisingly, there's only been one significant "twist," and it was about as predictable as the sunrise. Guess what?

McDermott isn't the top of the conspiracy food chain.

It's a bad show filled with dumb characters, but I can absolutely say I have seen and still watch worse shows.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deadpool posted:

Dylan McDermott/Dermot Mulroney

I love you for this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

I love you for this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You forgot The Greek Butcher though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What major television award could Walking Dead conceivably win? Best Dumb Bunch of Boring Idiots?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MTV Teen Choice Award for Best Gross Out Moment, sponsored by Snickers. Rick, you're acting like a Dictator. Eat a Snickers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bown posted:

What major television award could Walking Dead conceivably win? Best Dumb Bunch of Boring Idiots?

Yes, the world in which bad shows and actors never win Emmys.

Though I don't think TWD is a bad show by any stretch.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Yes, the world in which bad shows and actors never win Emmys.

Though I don't think TWD is a bad show by any stretch.

It's not. And the thread isn't even that bad anymore. It's been mostly readable for a couple weeks now. Except for the few people that seem to still not actually be paying attention to the show they're posting about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

It's not. And the thread isn't even that bad anymore. It's been mostly readable for a couple weeks now. Except for the few people that seem to still not actually be paying attention to the show they're posting about.

Gotta make cool "stuff and things" jokes mate! No time for comprehension!

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
There's a lot of really dumb characters in TWD, but I've been enjoying the show regardless. It's come a long way since Season 2: Farmville with Zombies.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So, who's up for a Roots reboot?

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/roots-ramake-history-channel-miniseries/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's fine plus it will give a bunch of good black actors a chance at high exposure roles. Hopefully we can get Bodie out of those FedEx commercials :unsmith:

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

How has any of the History Channel's original dramatic programming been? I'm trying to gauge how hamfisted this remake is going to be.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

futurememory posted:

How has any of the History Channel's original dramatic programming been? I'm trying to gauge how hamfisted this remake is going to be.

Vikings and Hatfields & McCoys were great but I didn't watch The Bible. They are also doing a Bonnie & Clyde miniseries that looks interesting.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

smg77 posted:

Vikings and Hatfields & McCoys were great but I didn't watch The Bible. They are also doing a Bonnie & Clyde miniseries that looks interesting.

Vikings was great. I (and a lot of people) went in expecting a cheap cash grab after Game of Thrones, but it actually turned out to be really good.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Without Roots there would never have been a Reading Rainbow.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

bad day posted:

Without Roots there would never have been a Reading Rainbow.

It is a propaganda piece that should be retired like all the others.

E: ROOTS, not take a look, it's in a book...

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 6, 2013

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Bown posted:

Don't they have awards for makeup and/or special effects? They could definitely win for that.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I could definitely see somebody getting a major award on TWD. Not any of the current cast/characters, but if somebody new was introduced and became an integral part of the show then the potential for some great human drama is there. The show's just been hilariously inconsistent until this season and has had way too many characters that the writers had zero clue what to do with. Now that it's more toned down and appears more focused, I can definitely see someone coming in and stealing the show.

I mean, I don't actually think it'll happen because I'm not quite that optimistic, but it wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world. The fact that it's ludicrously popular would help too. I mean, how many Emmys has Modern Family and BBT been nominated for?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the Morgan actor could have won guest performance.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
TWD's best years are well behind it and it never should have nor ever will win a non-technical Emmy. Everyone please relax.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

TWD's best years are well behind it

...Is that you, Joe?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Two new AMC dramas in the pipe.

quote:

Not sure how to fill the Bryan-Cranston-bald-pate shaped hole in your heart now that Breaking Bad is no more? A source close to the situation just tipped me off that AMC is right on the brink of picking up two new dramas: Knifeman and Galyntine. This story is still breaking, and updates will continue to come as pickups are officially announced.

Knifeman, written by playwright Rolin Jones (who also produced Low Winter Sun for the net) and executive produced by Sam Raimi, is based on the book The Knifeman: The Extraordinary Life and Times of John Hunter, Father of Modern Surgery. The series focuses on an unorthodox self-educated surgeon who will go to any length to learn the secrets of the human body in 1771.

Galyntine, written by writer Jason Cahill and produced by Ridley Scott and Greg Nicotero, of The Walking Dead, is a sci-fi saga set in a futuristic dystopian society; plot details have been kept under wrap to date.

Knifeman looks cool and I'd love to see how AMC does sci-fi.

Also, I found the most 90's thing ever. It starts with like 10 orchestra hits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENZ3XbxCRZs

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 6, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Having the Yahoo! logo in the bottom corner just adds to the 90s-ness.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Haha he raps near the end.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guess who the no. 1 network is this season so far :psyduck:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
NBC :D

e: holy poo poo, it is NBC?? :psyduck: indeed.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This happened last year too, it's basically because they have football and the Voice and whatever they put on after the Voice. Last time when the football season ended their position tanked and the same will happen this year.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

NBC :D

e: holy poo poo, it is NBC?? :psyduck: indeed.

Football and The Voice are literally carrying everything else on the network.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought SNF football ratings were down across the board?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Still higher than most shows on TV though. Especially with most networks being down.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

EVERYTHING is down, so that may not have made much of a difference.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Maxwell Lord posted:

EVERYTHING is down, so that may not have made much of a difference.

The CW is actually up this year! So only mostly everything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

The CW is actually up this year! So only mostly everything.

Have they renewed Arrow yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Have they renewed Arrow yet?

No, but it's pretty much a guarantee.

• Locked thread