Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Erm, so I was narrowing down my list of favorite songs and ended up with 74. That's. Uh. That's not too many, right? :shobon: You want fewer nominations than that?

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
There are currently about 140 songs on there. I think Cuwi beat your nomination total, though I'd have to count.

Also odds are you'll have nominated stuff that either Rarity, Cuwi, or myself have put on, with the three of us having nominated a majority of the songs.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Odds are neither one of you nominated the showstopping masterpiece that was Busters Get Popped. :colbert:

Sent!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I cannot believe I forgot that. I am literally hitting myself on the head while typing this with one hand.

All in all, you added about 38 songs to the list if my count is right.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Best song Nominations:
Dude version of "No Scrubs" - the dudes
Baby Got Back - Adam's Apples
We're having a baby - Finn Hudson
Gangnam Style - New Directions feat. Tina
Edit: and the "Fondue for Two" theme song

:colbert:

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 28, 2013

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm lazy. Need season and episode numbers.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Hi guys, I haven't been following the thread lately because I'm bad and also because I still haven't gotten around to watching the last two episodes but all of ya'll need to see this. Amber Riley's in it and it's fantastic.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
Here are the episode descriptions for 504, 505 and 506:

504: Thursday, Nov. 7 at 9/8c: “A Katy or a Gaga”
The members of New Directions tackle their assignments of getting out of their comfort zones and determining whether they’re more like “Katy” or “Gaga.” In New York, Kurt holds auditions for his new band and must decide if he’ll let in the overly bold performer StarChild (American Idol‘s Adam Lambert). Also, Jake gets closer to Bree (guest star Erinn Westbrook), as he and Marley grow apart.

505: Thursday, Nov. 14: “The End of Twerk”
The glee club learns the dance of the hour: twerking. Meanwhile, Marley discovers Jake’s relationship with Bree and Rachel tries to convince Kurt they both should get tattoos.

Oh Lord, twerking. Several months after it was A Thing, Glee does something with it. Gangnam Style all over again. I don't know why they keep bothering, it's getting a bit sad now. Also tattoos for Kurt and Rachel? I know Lea Michele has several ones, but it doesn't strike me as something either of those characters would do.

506: Thursday, Nov. 21: “Movin’ Out”
The New Directions pay homage to Piano Man Billy Joel. As graduation approaches, the seniors make plans for their futures beyond the halls of McKinley.

Oh hey, graduation is finally here. About drat time. What about Nationals, though? Is that happening anytime soon?

And entirely unrelated to Glee plots, here is a picture of Chris in his Halloween costume. Those arms :heysexy:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

God bless.

(Spoilers for episode 8, The Puppetmaster)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Is it Avenue Q? please say it's Avenue Q

Looking at other spoilers there's apparently no Avenue Q :(

Senerio fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 30, 2013

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

If you want spoilers, this page is always updated with upcoming songs: http://gleekoutbr.com/musicas-quinta-temporada/

If we are not allowed to directly link to that site for some reason, please let me know and I'll remove it. It's where all of the spoilers are posted first. For example, Blaine's future career plan: doctor.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's all kosher unless there's a download link.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Lea Michelle guesting on Top Chef tonight.

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013
Well it looks like this show is gonna get real dumb real quick. Thank God it's back to its normal self.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Songs are out!
Roar, by Katy Perry, sung by New Directions, Rachel Berry, Dani, Santana Lopez, and Elliott "Starchild" Gilbert
Wide Awake, by Katy Perry, sung by Tina Cohen-Chang, Wade "Unique" Adams,Jake Puckerman, and Kitty Wilde
Applause, by Lady Gaga, sung by Sam Evans, Marley Rose, Artie Abrams, Ryder Lynn, and Blaine Anderson
Marry The Night, by Lady Gaga, sung by Elliot "Starchild" Gilbert. (Released a while ago and I'm too lazy to care at the moment so here's a youtube link. Sorry phone users)

I like exactly one song by Lady Gaga, and none by Katy Perry, and it was already covered, so I don't care about any of these. Someone else talk about them.

cathalc
Oct 9, 2008

Well if it'll make you feel better, you could punch me in the face.
I think it's a good bunch, with one exception.

Marry the Night: Surprisingly awesome and I'm actually looking forward to this character, which I wasn't really expecting.
__Roar__: I'm not too crazy about the original but it's a fun piece and works well as a group number.
Wide Awake: My favourite song of the series so far, which is faint praise, but I just enjoy Glee taking the effort to do something new with a song instead of just straight covers the whole time.

And the exception is Applause which is a massive disappointment. I can scarcely imagine a worse group to put on lead for this song, given the number of people in the cast that could have knocked this poo poo out of the park.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
As a reminder, the songs cannot be nominated if you like them until next First Listen Monday(/Tuesday? I dunno) to give you time to digest them and get rid of the gut feelings of revulsion and adoration and get to see how the performance enhances or detracts from the song.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I have a hard time believing that anyone other than their own IRL mothers cares enough about the new kids or Tina to buy a cover sung by any of them. I'm looking forward to the inevitable plane crash on the way home from Nationals that gives the writers an excuse to spend the last 1.5 seasons in New York with Rachel and Santana.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Just because you bring it up, I'ma go ahead and mention that it's been confirmed Nationals doesn't even happen in any of the episodes we're getting before 2014. New kids are gonna be sticking around for a
while, yo. :buddy: Hell, I think they're all billed as series regulars for the year. (not that that specifically matters since Puck and Mercedes were last year as well)

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

A couple of episode titles for the future.

Somehow, some loving how, Murphy has managed to wrangle a Christmas episode into the season despite all of us specifically pointing out that at least he couldn't do that this year.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
You don't loving need to jam a Christmas episode into every season, Ryan Murphy. Your first (good) season functioned just fine without one!

This show's "timeline" gives me hives.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Christmas albums are easy money. All this show is about anymore is whoring itself for a quick buck on iTunes.

No John
Nov 18, 2012

cathalc posted:

And the exception is Applause which is a massive disappointment.

We're getting Chord Gaga so I'd say it's a fair trade off.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

cathalc posted:

Wide Awake: My favourite song of the series so far, which is faint praise, but I just enjoy Glee taking the effort to do something new with a song instead of just straight covers the whole time.

This is one of the best songs they've ever done, but it's almost a little too good. I want to know who's arrangement they ripped off this time.

cathalc posted:

Marry the Night: Surprisingly awesome and I'm actually looking forward to this character, which I wasn't really expecting.

I agree this seems like a song that would normally be sung by him. One of the songs on Adam Lambert's first studio album was written by Gaga. Her songs compliment his voice well.

Stabitha fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 5, 2013

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

the truth posted:

Christmas albums are easy money. All this show is about anymore is whoring itself for a quick buck on iTunes.

I'm fairly certain that iTunes sales are the sole driving force behind every decision made about the show at this point.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

smg77 posted:

I'm fairly certain that iTunes sales are the sole driving force behind every decision made about the show at this point.

I'd be curious to know how much extra profit they'd garner by expediting the graduation of Blaine/Artie/Tina/Sam (and moving them, or at least everyone but Tina and maybe Artie, to NYC), jettisoning the rest of the McKinley half of the show, and still churning out iTunes singles like normal -- in terms of money saved from not having to pay a mess of cast regulars (especially Jane Lynch/Matt Morrison) while still pulling in music money.

Like, I can't imagine they'd lose that many (if any) viewers by axing Marley/Ryder/Jake/Kitty/Unique (and Will/Sue) versus how much (money) they'd gain in a final push focusing just on NYC plus Blaine/Sam before the show ends.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

You know it's possible -- bear with me here -- it is possible that Ryan Murphy is making the exact sort of show that he wants to make and that no one is forcing him at gunpoint to spend as much time and effort on the Lima stories as he does? I know I know, it's MADNESS...but what if?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Then we'd have nothing to discuss about the show on a discussion forum beyond, "Gee, that was terrible/fantastic!"?

Like, I get it -- you still enjoy Glee and don't like that people who don't still post in this thread. I don't see why this should preclude people from talking about (word choice used with caution, this thread barely gets traffic anymore as it is) what they do/don't still like about the show and what could make it better (or 'better') for the remaining duration. This is hardly the Community or Walking Dead threads with an endless stream of people stampeding in to proclaim "worst episode/show ever!" every week.

And to answer your sarcastic hypothetical in particular - I have no doubt Ryan Murphy is making exactly the show he wants to make at this juncture. This doesn't mean he isn't doing a questionable job of such, or that people can't wonder if there might be a better approach he should take that could have ensured the show's longterm solvency. And it certainly shouldn't mean there isn't an iTunes sales component driving Glee on an episode by episode basis -- after all, they're using songs that hadn't actually yet been released as singles for radio airplay in the show's current timeline. (And yes, I think we can safely say they're still supposed to be in roughly April/May 2013 on the show; season 3 had them mourning Whitney Houston on-screen two months after her actual death.)

cathalc
Oct 9, 2008

Leave the existing Glee, Community, Walking Dead and Homeland threads and also create a separate thread where fans of all four can join together in hatewatching and bitching about their formerly favourite shows. You wouldn't even need to specify the show you're talking about since most of people's complaints would probably apply to multiple shows:

"This show should have been cancelled after Season 1 instead of being allowed this slow death"

"<X> should have been written off ages ago, the writers clearly have no idea what to do with him/her anymore"

"This plot is just a re-hash of <Y> :rolleyes: this show ran out of original ideas years ago"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

:v: Dude, I just think it's silly that this "team NY/team Lima" topic -- which DOES in fact get annoyingly regurgitated episode after episode after episode -- has gotten to the point where we're fantasizing about how much more sales they'd make if they would just hurry up and ditch those useless moneysucking newbs. Like, if that's a thing people get to unironically say then I totes get to say that it's silly.

Believe me, I've made peace with the fact that this thread is headlined by people who hate Glee but can't stop talking about Glee. No one's stopping you. And if it can handle so many pages of "lol Glee AMIRITE" posts in response to literally every single new piece of news or spoilers or discussion we get about literally anything, it can handle me being a lil' bit of a lil' poo poo about that.

In not entirely unrelated news, Glee got nominated for a bunch of People's Choice Awards. Vote for Glee if you like Glee! Vote something else if you're a modern day Eggs Benedict and hate Glee! Just don't vote for The Walking Dead cuz dat show sucks and probably deserves all the wank it ever gets! :buddy:

1) Favorite Network TV Comedy: Glee
2) Favorite Comedy TV Actor: Darren Criss,Chris Colfer
3) Favorite Comedy TV Actress: Lea Michele,Jane Lynch
4) Favorite On-Screen Chemistry: Kurt and Blaine
5) Favorite TV Bromance: Blaine and Sam
6) Favorite TV Gal Pals: Rachel and Santana

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 6, 2013

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

You know it's possible -- bear with me here -- it is possible that Ryan Murphy is making the exact sort of show that he wants to make and that no one is forcing him at gunpoint to spend as much time and effort on the Lima stories as he does? I know I know, it's MADNESS...but what if?

That doesn't excuse the poor/unpredictable quality of the show, it just reinforces the common belief that Ryan Murphy is a talentless piece of poo poo.

On another topic, the perennial rumors about Lea Michele getting her own spinoff are popping up again.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BrianWilly posted:

:v: Dude, I just think it's silly that this "team NY/team Lima" topic -- which DOES in fact get annoyingly regurgitated episode after episode after episode -- has gotten to the point where we're fantasizing about how much more sales they'd make if they would just hurry up and ditch those useless moneysucking newbs. Like, if that's a thing people get to unironically say then I totes get to say that it's silly.

Believe me, I've made peace with the fact that this thread is headlined by people who hate Glee but can't stop talking about Glee. No one's stopping you. And if it can handle so many pages of "lol Glee AMIRITE" posts in response to literally every single new piece of news or spoilers or discussion we get about literally anything, it can handle me being a lil' bit of a lil' poo poo about that.

I'm not saying it because "gently caress that Lima half!" though. I'm genuinely uninterested in any of the Lima-side characters (beyond like Kitty and Unique) but I also know I'm in the vast minority in that regard in this very thread, so it seems silly for me to post such on a week-to-week basis in the face of how many people really like Blaine and Sam.

I'm saying this because, if there is only one season left after this, it doesn't make sense from a writers' perspective to continue following Lima-only characters (Marley, Jake, Ryder, etc.) when there won't really be enough time to tackle their character arcs through their own graduation; they're all sophomores, after all. Continuing to write them as characters but ending it on their junior year would feel incomplete, where treating them as secondary to Blaine/Sam/Tina/Artie and ending that half of the show on the latter's graduation feels less so. Finn's continued presence on that half would have made its continued inclusion more important to the show as a whole, and in that unfortunate hypothetical, they probably get a 7th season to wrap it all up, graduate Marley/Jake/etc., and have Rachel 'come home' to Finn.

Side to that, from a monetary standpoint and aside from like one Jake song last season, that 'secondary' cast isn't exactly generating gangbusters in iTunes sales so I don't think it's outrageous to think they'd increase their profit intake by nixing contracts on Lynch/Morrison/Benoit/Newell/Artist/Tobin/Jenner while continuing to pump out iTunes singles focused on Santana/Kurt/Rachel/Blaine/Sam/guest stars of the week.

Ryan Murphy has the benefit of knowing exactly how many episodes he has left of his show, and exactly when it will no longer be on-air. You use this to your advantage by writing an ending that makes sense. I don't think you can do that for every single character's arc on this show, and some of them already effectively have their ending -- Will's glee club is successful and he's married to Emma; what else needs to be said about him (besides maybe finally having that baby he wanted back in season 1)? I wouldn't be at all surprised if the plan was for him to exit the show after the current school term ended and have Finn take over the club full time through the remaining season(s). So you cut your losses where you can and the casualties that would make the most sense (to me) just all happen to be on the Lima half.

I also don't talk about the show because I hate it; I talk about it because I think it's interesting in the sense of how a show can fall so thoroughly off a cliff in terms of viewers/quality after 1-2 seasons, and what Murphy and crew could have done to salvage it. Like I said, we know now that S6 will be the last, and I don't think it's completely out of bounds to wonder if this is when they'll pull the trigger and focus entirely on Rachel/Kurt/Santana(/Blaine/Sam) in NYC. And not as something they "should have done all along" -- I've been an advocate here and elsewhere that they should have focused entirely on McKinley and let graduated characters ride off into the sunset if they wanted the show to have any longevity to it.

(And I don't think he's talentless, either -- American Horror Story is a pretty fun romp. I think his interest in something waxes and wanes wildly and shows where he can't just reboot every season and write a new story in a condensed 13 episodes tend to suffer in quality as a result.)

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

xeria posted:

I'm not saying it because "gently caress that Lima half!" though. I'm genuinely uninterested in any of the Lima-side characters (beyond like Kitty and Unique) but I also know I'm in the vast minority in that regard in this very thread, so it seems silly for me to post such on a week-to-week basis in the face of how many people really like Blaine and Sam.

Funny how fan opinions can work out - Unique is the least interesting character, imo, and Kitty is okay but has the Quinn problem of changing moods violently between episodes.

But Sam and Blaine, Bieste and Puck, those characters I do care about.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

BrianWilly posted:

Wow -- two nods in the same categories. I wonder if they'll split votes and have someone else win.

It's amazing how much of a springboard Glee has been for Darren Criss. Just a few years ago he was known as the "guy who sang in the Harry Potter musical." That's quite an accomplishment to be nominated for the people's choice awards and host the teen choice awards.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Wait, so this isn't the thread where people watch a show where pretty people sing songs and sometimes the plots are silly/offensive?

I'm confused, this is all so much more complicated than I thought.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

BrianWilly posted:

Maybe it is just me, but most of the nominees in all the categories are kinda awful. I have not seen Big bang theory, but Glee is better than the other options in the TV Comedy category, that is saying a lot.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Oasx posted:

Maybe it is just me, but most of the nominees in all the categories are kinda awful. I have not seen Big bang theory, but Glee is better than the other options in the TV Comedy category, that is saying a lot.
It's pretty much based on social media these days, I think.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Oasx posted:

It helps to think of the PCA as basically the Teen Choice Awards for "grown-ups" (20- and 30-somethings who didn't fake their ages to vote in the TCA). I don't think they actually use open voting to determine the nominees like the TCA does, though.

cathalc
Oct 9, 2008

courtney_beth posted:

It's amazing how much of a springboard Glee has been for Darren Criss. Just a few years ago he was known as the "guy who sang in the Harry Potter musical." That's quite an accomplishment to be nominated for the people's choice awards and host the teen choice awards.

True. He had a major role in some movie with Kristen Wiig over the summer too. (I think it was terrible and bombed, but hey, it's something)

Hard to beat Chris Colfer for meteoric rises though. I think he went from literally nothing more than community theatre in his hometown to winning a Golden Globe on Glee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

cathalc posted:

True. He had a major role in some movie with Kristen Wiig over the summer too. (I think it was terrible and bombed, but hey, it's something)

Hard to beat Chris Colfer for meteoric rises though. I think he went from literally nothing more than community theatre in his hometown to winning a Golden Globe on Glee.
I think he prefers writing to acting, actually.

Glee just opens a lot of doors that way.

• Locked thread