Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
Hass managed to do something to loose (or yank) out one of her toenails. It happened while I was at work but my boyfriend was home and he noticed some blood on the carpet. He picked up Hass to notice that the blood was coming from her and put pressure on her paw immediately to stop the bleeding. He did some research and phone calls to the vet and they said that the paw will most likely be fine and there is a bunny approved antibacterial cream but it costs a lot of money.

She is due next month for her 6 month visit to the vet and I'm wondering if I should take her in a month early just to have a vet take a look at it. Hass doesn't seem to be in any pain whatsoever and is acting like her usual self. In fact she has made it a point in the past week to jump up onto my lap every morning for pets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Keep an eye on it. If she starts favoring the paw or there's any swelling or discharge you should take her in.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Gracie is going in to get spayed tomorrow, she's seven and a half years old. Does anyone have any experience with spaying a rabbit that's a bit older? I have to say I'm extremely nervous about it. She has a mass on her cervix that will be coming out, but we declined the pre-op xray that would see if the possible cancer had moved anywhere else in her body. Our reasoning was that she needs to have the operation regardless because of the mass, whether it was cancerous or a blood clot or whatever, so there was no point in spending 300 bucks on an xray that would just tell us the risks on a surgery we absolutely *must* give her.

So yeah, I'm very worried. She seems to be in perfect health besides the mass on her cervix, none of the signs that cancer has moved to her lungs (wheezing, sniffling, shortness of breath, etc).

I also am really worried about leaving her in a strange place for a whole day.. I wish I could be there with her when she wakes up. I wouldn't have thought that I would ever care about a creature that's not a dog this much but drat if this little cuddly hateball hasn't just become a part of my family the last four years.

edit: well, not a hateball anymore. maybe when we got her. now she's a begrudging loveball.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 4, 2013

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
At least Gracie's hate will smell less like chicken bullion cubes now. On that note, why do rabbits smell so weird?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

The Walrus posted:

Gracie is going in to get spayed tomorrow, she's seven and a half years old. Does anyone have any experience with spaying a rabbit that's a bit older?

Most of my rescues were spayed at between 5 and 8 years. A couple times, we elected to euthanize on the table because after the bunny was open we could see how badly the cancer had spread, but overall there haven't been any surgical complications. I did have a few girls who needed to be syringe fed for a couple days, so be prepared for that. A little fresh dill seems to go a long way in resolving postsurgical anorexia. :)

Good luck!

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

At least Gracie's hate will smell less like chicken bullion cubes now. On that note, why do rabbits smell so weird?

My rabbit smells of mint and parsley most of the time and whenever I come home I'll get on the ground and he'll run over and lick my nose. Twice now I've caught him out doing some mischief by the smell of his breath, once it was this horribly sweet BBQ sauce smell that made me track down a bottle of it that he'd stolen, dragged into a corner and chewed open. The other time he smelt amazingly of vanilla and I found he'd hopped up onto a table and found an empty McFlurry wrapper and chewed down the side of that to lick the last little bits of ice-cream from it.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Karandras posted:

My rabbit smells of mint and parsley most of the time and whenever I come home I'll get on the ground and he'll run over and lick my nose. Twice now I've caught him out doing some mischief by the smell of his breath, once it was this horribly sweet BBQ sauce smell that made me track down a bottle of it that he'd stolen, dragged into a corner and chewed open. The other time he smelt amazingly of vanilla and I found he'd hopped up onto a table and found an empty McFlurry wrapper and chewed down the side of that to lick the last little bits of ice-cream from it.

This is my favourite post ever in this thread :allears:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Spayed and neutered bunnies smell AMAZING. Ella manages to smell like a winter thunderstorm most of the time. But when she was hormonal, before the spay, she smelled like chicken soup. It was so weird.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I totally love rabbit smell. There's a hay smell mixed with BO or something. If glade would hurry up and make that into a plugin I could die happy.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Grace made it through her surgery and is home resting. She apparently did very very well for a rabbit her age; they said she was very rambunctious even just a half hour after her surgery, so I think she's really only calming down since she got home. As a result, she's super exhausted. She's been nibbling at greens but we're hoping after a nap she wakes up and fills her belly.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro's getting old. She saw BOTH bunny vets today and they checked her over. Her weekend refusals to eat were most likely gas-related but she does have a rather large mineral deposit on the center of her right eye that could be clouding her vision if not blocking it altogether. She's got one on her left eye as well but it's to one side and much smaller. I only asked about it because sometimes when I pet her she flinches if I approach her from that side.

As of Oct 31, we've had her for 5 years and the vet estimated then that she was a year old when we found her.

Bun is getting middle-aged. :sweatdrop:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Bean posted:

I totally love rabbit smell. There's a hay smell mixed with BO or something. If glade would hurry up and make that into a plugin I could die happy.

Mine have an odd sweet smell, kind of like basil and hay.

Which would make sense since their diet consists of whatever herbs and lettuce we are growing in the garden and KMS hay.

I love bunny smell. I will miss it when it is gone.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Gordon smells like sweet hay and tacos. I too love bunny smell. I could smell bunnies all day, allergies be damned.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I have never actually smelled Harriet. I am half afraid to try.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

This thread turned really weird, really fast.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just checking in to say that Gracie is well on the path to recovery from her spay. The histology came back negative as well, and the vet estimates that barring anything completely out of left field Grace could well live as long as 12-14 years. This makes me very very happy.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Walrus posted:

Just checking in to say that Gracie is well on the path to recovery from her spay. The histology came back negative as well, and the vet estimates that barring anything completely out of left field Grace could well live as long as 12-14 years. This makes me very very happy.

That's great news! Now she will smell great :3

Rabbit smells forever.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
edit: drat photo posting problems.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
This thread needs more buns.

We "dressed" the flems up as giant rabbity invaders who crushed a tiny town (supervised) for Halloween. We let them gnaw on a brussels sprout stalk "tree" as a treat and got a lot of delighted trick or treaters. They just flopped down and ate hay most of the time, so yay buns.

Coincidentally, they are getting spayed on Thursday. Glad to hear Gracie's spay went well!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
One of my rabbits, Mervyn, the kind of dumb one that refuses to be touched or held or ANYTHING, decided to go exploring last night. She cleared their pen's fences, which are roughly 2.5 feet high, and was wandering around my living room. I woke up to get some breakfast, and found her just sitting in the corner of the room next to the fence like, "what."

Tally of damage was a ton of styrofoam and cardboard scratched up to hell and back (she got into a TV box in a corner of the room) and my Xbox power cord. Vet said to watch for poop distress and make sure she is eating, which she of course devoured some greens like she didnt get any hay overnight.

Rabbits!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I used to laugh when my rabbits would get out. One morning I guess we hadnt latched the cage right so they opened the door. I walked in to check on them and was like "Hey somethings different." Then there was something on my leg and when I looked down Tubbs was standing there with his paws on my calf looking up like "Hey there, can you let me back in I am thirsty." And we found Lils in the closet. She had spent the night making a nest in the corner of the closet. Lots of white bunny fur to clean up.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I learned the hard way not to leave on the couch anything I don't want destroyed. Gordon has free roam (I just vacuum and shampoo the carpet a lot) and one morning I woke up to all the remote buttons on my tv, DVD, and converter box just gone. I can't get too mad when she destroys stuff, cause it's my own stupid fault. Her destruction just makes me laugh these days. She's like a roving compost heap.

I'm also really good at replacing power cords now.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

NancyPants posted:

I learned the hard way not to leave on the couch anything I don't want destroyed. Gordon has free roam (I just vacuum and shampoo the carpet a lot) and one morning I woke up to all the remote buttons on my tv, DVD, and converter box just gone. I can't get too mad when she destroys stuff, cause it's my own stupid fault. Her destruction just makes me laugh these days. She's like a roving compost heap.

I'm also really good at replacing power cords now.

Even though they never went in the living room (except Paterson in his last month but never on the couch) or on the sofas in this apartment and even though they're long gone I'm still in the habit of turning all remotes upside down :3:

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Lobsterboy posted:

One of my rabbits, Mervyn, the kind of dumb one that refuses to be touched or held or ANYTHING, decided to go exploring last night. She cleared their pen's fences, which are roughly 2.5 feet high, and was wandering around my living room. I woke up to get some breakfast, and found her just sitting in the corner of the room next to the fence like, "what."

Tally of damage was a ton of styrofoam and cardboard scratched up to hell and back (she got into a TV box in a corner of the room) and my Xbox power cord. Vet said to watch for poop distress and make sure she is eating, which she of course devoured some greens like she didnt get any hay overnight.

Rabbits!

Our rabbits used to sneak out of their room at night and huddle up against the door of my brother-in-law whenever he was snored heavily. Nothing says fun like a 6am wakeup call of "OH poo poo" and the skittering of two freaked out rabbits as they try to make their way back, on tiled floor mind you, to their room. I miss my idiots.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

a big fat bunny posted:

Our rabbits used to sneak out of their room at night and huddle up against the door of my brother-in-law whenever he was snored heavily. Nothing says fun like a 6am wakeup call of "OH poo poo" and the skittering of two freaked out rabbits as they try to make their way back, on tiled floor mind you, to their room. I miss my idiots.

The best rabbits. :3:

I was mostly worried because Mervyn's bonded roommate, Vonn, didnt even try to get out. Which makes me worried. I've taken vonn out of the pen before to see if she wanted to roam around the house, and she just huddled up next to the pen's fence and tried to groom Merv. Really makes me curious as to what caused Mervyn to get out, and then wander off.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

One of my old rabbits would constantly try and get out of his cage. 90% of the time we'd wake up the next morning with him grunting and digging to get back in because he was hungry/thirsty and the other 10% of the time we'd wake up in the middle of the night to him clawing at the bedroom door for attention.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

So I left the US several months ago and had to leave my bunnies. A dear friend took them in, and since she had a bunny already (and LOVES animals), I knew they'd be in great hands.

Frith died a week after I left. I think he was just too fragile for that kind of traumatic change. I cried for days.

I just found out Zen died today. This time I'm just shellshocked.

I'm 100% positive my friend didn't do anything wrong. The bunnies were middle aged (about 6 or 7) and sometimes terrible things happen. I haven't even had them with me for now 8 months, but I did have them for over 5 years and this is the moment when I feel like I truly don't have pets anymore.

Sorry to be such a downer. Post more pictures of your babies, please, so I can adore them from afar. I don't think I'm ready to get pets again for a while.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

angelicism posted:

So I left the US several months ago and had to leave my bunnies. A dear friend took them in, and since she had a bunny already (and LOVES animals), I knew they'd be in great hands.

Frith died a week after I left. I think he was just too fragile for that kind of traumatic change. I cried for days.

I'm 100% positive my friend didn't do anything wrong. The bunnies were middle aged (about 6 or 7) and sometimes terrible things happen. I haven't even had them with me for now 8 months, but I did have them for over 5 years and this is the moment when I feel like I truly don't have pets anymore.

Sorry to be such a downer. Post more pictures of your babies, please, so I can adore them from afar. I don't think I'm ready to get pets again for a while.

Bitsy and Paterson died within a short period of time. Paterson died first and then Bitsy a few months later. I think that when they have been together for so long it just happens :(

I'm so sorry for your loss but know that you were a great owner and that they were well taken care of!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

angelicism posted:

I'm sorry to hear about Frith and Zen.

I invaded her privacy for you. :3:

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I'm also very sorry to hear that. Always liked hearing about those two. Lots of bad news lately.

Here have a blurry instagram repost. Mine are also 6 now :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

:3:

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
So a while back we did a rabbit information booth at a local rescue and this little girly was out star show bun of the day. She came in with her mother and brothers and we couldn't help having a cuddle.

This is Pearl.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

Irony of Ironies. My rabbit Mervyn that got out? Perfectly fat and happy. My newer foster girl, Belle, though. She stopped pooping. Que the panicking and all that, but after a quick vet visit and some critical care / reglan, she pooped tonight! After roughly 36 hours of pee and nothing else, the simple fact that a few poos make your night is the true sign of a rabbit owner.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

KMS Hayloft 3rd cut timothy just arrived and it's so fresh it's still feels hydrated. My house is gonna smell awesome for a while. :3:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Our ladies got back from the vet earlier this week (spayed). Enjoy their pretty clothes, because they hate them!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Trabisnikof posted:

Our ladies got back from the vet earlier this week (spayed). Enjoy their pretty clothes, because they hate them!

They are soooooooo mad to be looking stylish.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

This is a dumb rabbit that thinks everything on the floor is for her. (She is rushing the camera.)

You can't tell, but I vacuum every other day.

Gordon Freeman died today while I was at work. For the last two days I hoped that keeping food, gas medicine, and pineapple juice in her would help her tummy, but it didn't. I considered reglan but the horror stories online scared me off it. She was peeing and still pooping, but her intake and thus output were down. Tomorrow morning I was going to take her in since she wasn't getting better.

I would have been fine with coming home to find a huge pile of poop on my floor. She could have peed right on the carpet and I wouldn't have even been mad.

I don't have anybody to eat my home anymore or give me the bum's rush if I try to eat, and all of my electronics will now go unmolested. This feels backwards.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I'm so sorry.

gently caress 2013. How many people have lost their bunnies this year?!?!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That is rabbits. Tear up your life while you have them, make you sad when they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
I'm so sorry to hear that! :ohdear: