Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Haggins posted:

Just booked my hotel at the Mt. Vernon. It's like $96 a night and close to the big lot area. I think HIE/Sleep Inn is still the best location, but I can't find any deals. It's like $175 at the HIE and $200 at the sleep inn unless you pay for a non refundable right now . I really don't want to tie up $700-$800 till May.

I'll rent you my couch for fifty bucks a night. This is the standard goon discount.

I may or may not rape you in your sleep.

I will rape you in your sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I heard the Skeletonwitch album people were raving about and I dunno, didn't do much for me. I'll still give it a try because I've seen people all over the internet love it.

nihil morari posted:

I don't know much about Ulver besides their albums' Shadows Of The Sun, Wars Of The Roses, and Childhoods End, as well as the live dvd National Norwegian Opera (which is fuckin' cool as loving gently caress).

Hard to believe from hearing those albums but their early stuff was black metal and a random acoustic album.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 4, 2013

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

thepitgoddess posted:

Come to Baltimore tonight. Problem solved. Congrats!

Watain were incredibly good, but both the openers (Tribulation and In Solitude) were so incredible as well that I was worn out by the beginning of the (very long) first encore. After Sworn to the Dark and Reaping Death I thought they were going to pack it in, but they just kept on going.

Does Watain always tour with a live guitarist who isn't part of the group? Pelle from In Solitude was really, really good playing with them (amazing energy playing back-to-back sets) but I thought it was odd that it was him playing all of the lead parts and solos.

e: what was the deal with Dread Pirate Watain that sat in between the barrier and the stage with his eyes closed most of the set? I saw him coming off the tour bus with the band, but he definitely wasn't a tech or roadie. Anyone see him at any other dates?

Monkeytime fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 4, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Haggins posted:

Just booked my hotel at the Mt. Vernon. It's like $96 a night and close to the big lot area. I think HIE/Sleep Inn is still the best location, but I can't find any deals. It's like $175 at the HIE and $200 at the sleep inn unless you pay for a non refundable right now . I really don't want to tie up $700-$800 till May.

I nabbed (the last) room at the HIE that's right nearby for $135. I don't remember the name of the hotel I was at last time but they were pretty uptight and security came :(

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm sorry to bring up covers again, but this is just too great to not mention:
I ordered the physical copy of Arkham Witch's new EP Hammerstorm, since it includes a bonus track and I figured hey, why the gently caress not.

Well, I just received the disc in the mail a moment ago, and it turns out the bonus track is a cover of Thor - Thunder on The Tundra. It's amazing. :allears:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
The 10th Anniversary Edition of Lamb of God’s As the Palaces Burn is streaming on metalsucks right now, good poo poo:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/11/04/stream-tenth-anniversary-edition-lamb-gods-palaces-burn/

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I heard the Skeletonwitch album people were raving about and I dunno, didn't do much for me. I'll still give it a try because I've seen people all over the internet love it.

I just...can't get into Skeletonwitch. The internet loves them but they are just SO mediocre.

Monkeytime posted:

Watain were incredibly good, but both the openers (Tribulation and In Solitude) were so incredible as well that I was worn out by the beginning of the (very long) first encore. After Sworn to the Dark and Reaping Death I thought they were going to pack it in, but they just kept on going.

Does Watain always tour with a live guitarist who isn't part of the group? Pelle from In Solitude was really, really good playing with them (amazing energy playing back-to-back sets) but I thought it was odd that it was him playing all of the lead parts and solos.

Tribulation were great! I'm not a fan of In Solitude's music, but they were really good to watch. Of course, Watain are the masters of live shows. I don't think I've ever seen Watain as a five piece, and I've seen them on like, every tour since their first ever US one. I am wracking my brain, but I don't think I've ever seen them play as more than a four piece.

I kind of like it though- with Erik just singing, there's a lot more little nuanced things in the live show that make it more like a ritual, which is totally their style.

E.I lied, I think on the Decibel tour, T he Devils Blood dude played with Watain.

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 5, 2013

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Any suggestions for albums similar to Empyrium - Songs of Moors and Misty Fields?

Also have they upgraded their vocals since then?

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhETuf3SMG8

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 5, 2013

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

thepitgoddess posted:

I just...can't get into Skeletonwitch. The internet loves them but they are just SO mediocre.

Tribulation were great! I'm not a fan of In Solitude's music, but they were really good to watch. Of course, Watain are the masters of live shows. I don't think I've ever seen Watain as a five piece, and I've seen them on like, every tour since their first ever US one. I am wracking my brain, but I don't think I've ever seen them play as more than a four piece.

I kind of like it though- with Erik just singing, there's a lot more little nuanced things in the live show that make it more like a ritual, which is totally their style.

I'm over Watains music but their live show is just so loving good. I wish I could have seen that tour, the new Tribulation album is one of my new favorites.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just finished reading Moby-Dick so I decided to celebrate by listening/playing bass along to Leviathan. This album is still incredible. Mastodon are far and away my favorite metal band even if the Hunter was only decent. I hope they do a 10-year anniversary tour next year or something.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Does The End Records just give poo poo away when you buy something from them? With my Pale Folklore LPs I got the newest Godflesh and some band named Pushmen on CD and some cards for digital downloads for bands called American Sharks and Crossfaith. Do they just grab a random stack of crap and shove it in the package or something? I don't appear to have been charged for them in any event. Kind of weird.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
This is pretty cool. Twice a year, metal4africa.com, the website that I help run does a festival with between 8 and 9 local bands from Southern Africa. Every now and then we try to get in a band from a neighbouring country and this year in January we got Overthrust from Botswana. Somebody filmed their full set and popped it up on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEVhkRMRG1k

I'm fascinated by the spread of metal on the African continent, and a lot of it seems to correlate directly to infrastructure. Botswana does not have the best internet connectivity and as a result the music is still very raw, primal and straightforward, whereas Kenya which has a far better connection to the outside world is producing much more "modern" metal. Then you've got Egypt and Tunisia which seem to spawn way more European-esque bands (lots of power and prog stuff there) because of proximity.

One day I'll have done enough research to write a proper piece about it, but the lay of the land as it is seems to change drastically the further north you go - South Africa being the exception to the rule.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dead Man Posting posted:

Any suggestions for albums similar to Empyrium - Songs of Moors and Misty Fields?

EDIT:

You wanna look more into Neofolk than metal, but there was a period of time when they scenes sort of overlapped and metal bands were doing neofolk side projects. Ulver popped into a similar style for a while too.

Noekk was literally an offshoot of Empyrium, depending how far you're willing to stretch the likeness Agalloch and Woods of Ypres were compared to Empyrium a lot early on.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I just finished reading Moby-Dick so I decided to celebrate by listening/playing bass along to Leviathan. This album is still incredible. Mastodon are far and away my favorite metal band even if the Hunter was only decent. I hope they do a 10-year anniversary tour next year or something.

Wow, I can't believe it's been almost 10 years. Amazing album!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Wow, I can't believe it's been almost 10 years. Amazing album!

Man, that means it's been almost 10 years since my favorite Mastodon story.

We played with them pretty soon after Leviathan came out, and one of the bands we were touring with had these little booty shorts with their logo on the back. So a shirtless Brent Hinds walks over to the merch table, already pretty visibly sloshed, and drops his trousers to try on the booty shorts bare-rear end-naked. He then proceeded to take them off, put them back on the table, pull his shorts up, and walk away as if nothing happened.

I don't... I don't know if any girl ever bought those shorts... part of me hopes that someone did.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dead Man Posting posted:

EDIT:

"Upgraded"? Their vocals loving rock. Apparently they are back together and suddenly my pants are feeling a bit tight in the groin area.

But for suggestions umm, check out Odroerir (which is a side project for some people in Menhir, which is also great).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHKTg9iOHAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SGmv1-Kaps

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone have reccomendations for folk metal like Agalloch?

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Xandoom posted:

Falls Of Rauros

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Wow these guys are awesome thank you!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dead Man Posting posted:

EDIT:

Xandoom posted:

All Y'all need to go find a copy of my favorite metal album of all time:

Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame
http://youtu.be/lgNLcy-LB98

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Xandoom posted:

Gallowbraid - one-man band from Salt Lake City. Possibly a goon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDeOcJLzoX0

edit: You might also like Fen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luLK3PGbAAc

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 6, 2013

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Xandoom posted:

Check out The Morningside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uafFf7T-9wY

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Optimum Gulps posted:

Gallowbraid - one-man band from Salt Lake City. Possibly a goon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDeOcJLzoX0

edit: You might also like Fen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luLK3PGbAAc

I've been thinking that Gallowbraid was British for the past two years.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just got back in from Gwar. Turns out they still put on a good show, so go see them you fucks.

A Band of Orcs were pretty entertaining, too. Hope they keep at it because I'm a sucker for gimmicks when they're played to the hilt.

Iron Reagan has Tony and Landphil from Municipal Waste along with Ryan Parish who used to be in Darkest Hour. Thrashy hardcore or hardcorey thrash, take your pick but you know what you're in for and they interact with the crowd pretty well. Also, some guy seriously asked me if Tony was a chick.

Whitechapel...has three guitars and a guy who really wants to be Randy Blythe? I'm sure they're all very nice young men with proud mothers but I was not feeling 'em. Plus I kinda hate strobes triggered by bass drum.

So 3/4 of the bands were at least fun to see. Worth $20 for Gwar alone, but with the rest it's a bargain.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Xandoom posted:

October Falls might be up your alley.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Speaking of gimmicky metal: the new Hail of Bullets, III: The Rommel Chronicles, is pretty solid.

On the other hand, the newest Ihsahn, Das Seelenbrechen, is pretty bad. He's gone downhill and up his own rear end for a few albums now, which is a shame because angL was so good.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Xandoom posted:

Woods of Ypres
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC0UJUGen7w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIJlF617UIg

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Xandoom posted:

Old(like first two albums) Opeth sorta has that same kind of vibe.

Also seconding Gallowbriad, that EP is fantastic. Full length album coming out in the near future.

Also Caladan Brood is another project by the Gallowbraid guy that is pretty cool. A little nerdier than Agalloch, but you might like it.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 6, 2013

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
I saw Finntroll last night with Metsatoll and Blackguard. Metsatoll are seriously one of the best bands I've seen live so far and Lauri Ounapuu is a god. They're playing a lot of their older stuff and they end the set with an incredibly creepy rendition of Metsaviha 2. I was pretty surprised by Blackguard, I think their music is awful but they have really great stage presence.

Finntroll were great, played a lot of stuff off the new album, lots of fun, but their show was kind of a mess. The sound had been fine for Metsatoll and Blackguard, but the way they had it for Finntroll completely overpowered Vreth's voice. They don't have Skrymer with them because of a legal issue (not sure if that means visas or if he killed a dude or what but I'm pretty sure he won't be on the tour at all.) His replacement (didn't get his name) looks about fifteen but held up his end pretty well. Halfway through one of their amps stopped working and Vreth decided to deal with the pause in the show by dancing, which was greatly appreciated by the hordes of teenage girls in the crowd. Still a pretty rad show, I just wish I'd been able to see them on full throttle.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

edrith posted:

Finntroll were great, played a lot of stuff off the new album, lots of fun, but their show was kind of a mess. The sound had been fine for Metsatoll and Blackguard, but the way they had it for Finntroll completely overpowered Vreth's voice. They don't have Skrymer with them because of a legal issue (not sure if that means visas or if he killed a dude or what but I'm pretty sure he won't be on the tour at all.) His replacement (didn't get his name) looks about fifteen but held up his end pretty well. Halfway through one of their amps stopped working and Vreth decided to deal with the pause in the show by dancing, which was greatly appreciated by the hordes of teenage girls in the crowd. Still a pretty rad show, I just wish I'd been able to see them on full throttle.

I think it's a paperwork issue, not a he killed a dude issue, but his replacement, I am pretty sure, is in Arsis.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone have any decent quality videos of Per Ohlin (Dead) singing for Mayhem?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Xandoom posted:

Csejthe released their sophomore album, Réminiscence, earlier this year. To be honest, I don't like how low the vocals are in the mix, but the music is solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPIsSJ9c1ns

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Xandoom posted:

Does anyone have any decent quality videos of Per Ohlin (Dead) singing for Mayhem?

This rehearsal footage is probably as good as you're going to get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiILjuOiqXY

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

This week is a great week for concerts. Yesterday, I saw Jex Thoth and today I'll see Leprous and Blindead. On Saturday, I'll see some crust/hardcore bands including Jungbluth :D And the best part is that I won free tickets for the Leprous show tonight.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Tour got announced for Children of Bodom, Tyr, and Death Angel. I miss Tyr so much, last time I saw them was with Korpiklaani and that was one hell of a concert. CoB put on a hell of a show last time I saw them too. It's sad I have to wait 4 months for them to get to me though. The rest of this year is kind of boring on the concert radar for me though.

JINKY
Nov 7, 2004
JINKY

QPZIL posted:

On the other hand, the newest Ihsahn, Das Seelenbrechen, is pretty bad. He's gone downhill and up his own rear end for a few albums now, which is a shame because angL was so good.
I was actually thinking it was his best album since the first one

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Powerlord is the most power metal band name of a band that's actually power/speed/thrash metal. They also kick a lot of rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N44_OYy4LR0

The most power metal band name otherwise is Swordmaster and the most flower metal band name is Fairyland.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Nah that prize goes to Powerwolf

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Nah that prize goes to Powerwolf
Bzzzt, Savatage baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
It's been awhile since I've said it, but Cannibal Corpse owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKTinvL2I0w