Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I hear Kermit the frog in my head telling me he is the boss.

God drat you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 24, 2019

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

What the gently caress did you do to earn THAT custom title?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Brother finished up the first stage of paint cleanup on the 928 so we took it out to get a few pictures yesterday.

Should be some better ones once he goes through his memory cards.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 4, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ferremit posted:

What the gently caress did you do to earn THAT custom title?
I'm guessing he ripped off a goon in SA Mart, resold the item(s), and is generally smug in threads.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Crustashio posted:

Michael Scott posted:

I'm itching to learn more about cars and do a couple basic upgrades on my 2004 Camry LE. How much instruction and experience would it take to pull off an upgraded intake and exhaust? This is for a 2.4L straight-4. Would I be better off going to a professional garage? Do garages even do upgrades? I know nothing about how this all works.

I take it I would need some more performance-oriented parts like wheels with less rubber as well.

Lesson 1: Don't waste money on pointless junk. It's a beige camry. Everyone is just going to laugh at you, even more than the kid in a civic with a fart cannon.

Lesson 2: If you want to learn about cars, start doing your own maintenance. That will teach you what breaks, why it breaks (sometimes), and how to fix it!

Counterpoint: I boosted a 97 v6 camry for shits and giggles, it was a rocketship in a straight line and made for the king of all sleepers. (until the transmission broke)

Not actually mine, but just look at that thing, that generation was the most generic looking car in history.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 4, 2013

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

NitroSpazzz posted:

Brother finished up the first stage of paint cleanup on the 928 so we took it out to get a few pictures yesterday.

Should be some better ones once he goes through his memory cards.

Wait what the gently caress? I never knew the headlights actually came up. I thought they were fixed position. :monocle: Mind blown. Looking at the angle of them at rest makes me think I was dumb to assume that before, though.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Not actually mine, but just look at that thing, that generation was the most generic looking car in history.

My vote for most generic car is the '79 Fairmont. Everything about it just says "car." and nothing else.

And I still really want to build one up as a sleeper someday.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't be too hard, I had a '90 Camry as my first car, and I loved it. Admittedly though I had no performance aspirations and I drove it very carefully and attempted to get the best mileage possible (I think this may be admirable for a 17 year-old).

xcl08
Nov 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I think he needs a forums account.
Well where do I start. I owned a 1993 Toyota Camry. When I had it I did a few mods to it, sound system exhaust and cold air intake, I lost my license for 3 moths and I decided to take it off the road and slap on a Garrett GT25 turbo. This is what it looked like before the conversion.

I had 2 friends help me with this conversion, one guy that knew his electronics so he had the job of wiring in the haltech e6x ECU and the other guy knew how to use a welder.. and I was dumb enough to fund this project. Moving along...

It took about 6 weeks from start to finish, I had a dyno run done pre turbo and it made a whopping 59kw at the wheel from memory. After rebuilding the engine which was a 5SFE, and finishing with the conversion it was tuned to a whole 6psi and made 169kw, something that the dyno tuner never seen and did not want to see again, apparently it was a pig to tune..

I did not have many plans for it after this, so I traded it in for a 2007 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo ute, I have had this car for around 3 years and it is now pushing 600 horsepower at the wheels, so around 710Hp at the flywheel so I have been told.

In the mean time I have also done a cheap resto on a Chrysler Valiant, brought a nissan 300zx TT back to life with some love and attention and a few motorbikes.

Enjoy.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

That is rad. My first car was a '92 Camry, I treated it like utter poo poo because I was a stupid 16 year old, and it paid me back by being completely indestructible. I loved that car. It was a loving tank, and it's why despite how boring they've become, I still have a soft spot for Toyotas.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

DropShadow posted:

My vote for most generic car is the '79 Fairmont. Everything about it just says "car." and nothing else.

And I still really want to build one up as a sleeper someday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4w0IDUEiG4

Watch all of denmahs videos

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

xcl08 posted:

Well where do I start. I owned a 1993 Toyota Camry.

I did not have many plans for it after this, so I traded it in for a 2007 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo ute, I have had this car for around 3 years and it is now pushing 600 horsepower at the wheels, so around 710Hp at the flywheel so I have been told.

In the mean time I have also done a cheap resto on a Chrysler Valiant, brought a nissan 300zx TT back to life with some love and attention and a few motorbikes.

Thanks for posting this. I remember that Camry well; I even remember your mum hooning it around for a while. That said, I like the princess (XR6 UTE) better.

PeterWeller posted:

That is rad. My first car was a '92 Camry, I treated it like utter poo poo because I was a stupid 16 year old, and it paid me back by being completely indestructible. I loved that car. It was a loving tank, and it's why despite how boring they've become, I still have a soft spot for Toyotas.

I know another goon who was in a similar boat with a 89 Camry that just wouldn't die. When he finally decide it had had enough his father painted it pink and resold it. It's still going four years later.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

CharlesM posted:

Don't be too hard, I had a '90 Camry as my first car, and I loved it. Admittedly though I had no performance aspirations and I drove it very carefully and attempted to get the best mileage possible (I think this may be admirable for a 17 year-old).

It certainly made less sense then than it does now, with gas prices the way they were. It's gone up what, probably 50% since then? As wages have remained nearly constant.

xcl08 posted:

Well where do I start. I owned a 1993 Toyota Camry. When I had it I did a few mods to it, sound system exhaust and cold air intake, I lost my license for 3 moths and I decided to take it off the road and slap on a Garrett GT25 turbo. This is what it looked like before the conversion.

Enjoy.

You resourceful bastard, that looks very fun to throw around. Thanks for posting.

You know what I would love? I know AI is more for experienced 'car people' but I want more content geared towards people just getting into it. How about an AI guide to basic upgrades? :3:

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 6, 2013

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

You know what I would love? I know AI is more for experienced 'car people' but I want more content geared towards people just getting into it. How about an AI guide to basic upgrades? :3:

The thing about topics like that is that they are car specific, mostly because engine bay layout from car to car can vary so much and it's all the little car specific things that need to be explained. Actually installing the basic upgrades is almost always "remove old part, bolt on new part". It's steps 1-53 and 55-106 that are important, but not universal to all cars. Info like that is best found on forums specific to what car you have.

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt
I bought my first-ever new car last week: a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT. I have to admit, of all the cars I thought would be my first new car, I'm surprised it ended up being this one.

I was looking for something reliable and fuel efficient, but still having at least a small sense of fun and sportiness. The Elantra GT is certainly related to the Elantra Coupe and Sedan... but the GT actually traces its lineage to the Hyundai i30, which was designed in Germany and is sold throughout Europe. I like the European sensibility and the differences in design versus the other Elantras, and I see a lot fewer GTs on the road, too. It's nice to stand out a bit, and I'm already loving the versatility of a hatchback with seats that lay 100% flat.

I was able to get the top of the line model as well: I optioned both the Style package and Tech package on it. (Weird that it's only sold in a single trim level here in the US.) I'm not going to win a race against, well, anyone, but I will be sipping fuel and enjoying leather seats, navigation, and a panoramic sunroof. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Hey, another Iowa goon. Nice lookin' Hyundai.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BigBadBrewsta posted:

I bought my first-ever new car last week: a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT. I have to admit, of all the cars I thought would be my first new car, I'm surprised it ended up being this one.

I was looking for something reliable and fuel efficient, but still having at least a small sense of fun and sportiness. The Elantra GT is certainly related to the Elantra Coupe and Sedan... but the GT actually traces its lineage to the Hyundai i30, which was designed in Germany and is sold throughout Europe. I like the European sensibility and the differences in design versus the other Elantras, and I see a lot fewer GTs on the road, too. It's nice to stand out a bit, and I'm already loving the versatility of a hatchback with seats that lay 100% flat.

I was able to get the top of the line model as well: I optioned both the Style package and Tech package on it. (Weird that it's only sold in a single trim level here in the US.) I'm not going to win a race against, well, anyone, but I will be sipping fuel and enjoying leather seats, navigation, and a panoramic sunroof. :)

The Kia Spectra5 was kinda like that: one trim level, and only 4 (IIRC) options. Cheap enough even then. We're still loving my wife's 2008 Spec5. Just got it back from the body shop (she glanced off a car that decided to not go through the yellow after all. Still her fault for following too closely.)

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013
Probably the only semi-interesting vehicle I have at the moment. 1973 240z, everything mostly original on it.

My other car & DD is a 2002 Sentra spec V. I bought it new and it's been a pretty good car. I have about 200k on it now and it's been almost completely trouble free in that time. Even so after all this time I'm ready for something new so going to replace it sometime early next year

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

LtDansMagkLegs posted:

Probably the only semi-interesting vehicle I have at the moment. 1973 240z, everything mostly original on it.

Nice looking car, I've always liked those more than the 270z for some reason. My uncle and cousin have a garage full of 240/270/290 cars and parts and even have a couple running at the moment.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

LtDansMagkLegs posted:

These are suitable for 'P' plate drivers in Queensland and teenagers around me are buying them and doing awful awful things to them which also raises the price of decent examples.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

LtDansMagkLegs posted:

This is wicked nice, I love the early ones so much.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

tobu posted:

These are suitable for 'P' plate drivers in Queensland and teenagers around me are buying them and doing awful awful things to them which also raises the price of decent examples.

Most of the ones here in the south are fitted with slot mags, racing stripes, and window louvers :(

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009
Decided to retire the 2007 Mazda6 from all the highway driving I do-- she was getting long in the tooth with 120K miles. Stepped up to a 2014 Mazda6 Grand Touring in Jet Black Mica. It's taking a bit of getting used to, for sure.

Amoan
Nov 5, 2009

LIGHTS!:science:

Shinde posted:

Decided to retire the 2007 Mazda6 from all the highway driving I do-- she was getting long in the tooth with 120K miles. Stepped up to a 2014 Mazda6 Grand Touring in Jet Black Mica. It's taking a bit of getting used to, for sure.

Fantastic choice. I work on both of those cars every day and that's quite the upgrade friend. I recently purchased a 2013 Mazda 3 for invoice but I wish I had got the 6 :)

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009

Amoan posted:

Fantastic choice. I work on both of those cars every day and that's quite the upgrade friend. I recently purchased a 2013 Mazda 3 for invoice but I wish I had got the 6 :)

Thanks. :) The '07 is what got me into Mazdas in the first place; it's probably one of the sportiest cars, stock, that I've ever driven. I couldn't pass up the chance at a new one, and I love every bit of it so far (though the nav and Bluetooth integration could stand to use a bit of work...).

I do get a bit nostalgic for my old car sometimes, but the fact that I gave it to my brother to drive around town now allows me to see it every so often. That, and I know he'll care for it as much as I had.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

2001 Forester GT. I still hope to supercharge a magna vrx one day though.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I did something dumb. I wanted a winter vehical and everyday beater so I could take better care of my Cooper S. So I went out and traded a gun for a 1985 Mercedes 300 D, turbo diesel. It has almost 300k, on the odo, a tree fell on it, and the rear arches are rusting out. However, there is no structural rust, it runs like a top, and I can now cross it off the list of dream cars.

Edit: cause I am not used to posting from a phone.

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 9, 2013

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mutt2jeff posted:

I did something dumb. I wanted a winter vehical and everyday beater so I could take better car of my Cooper S. So I went out and traded a gun for a 1985 Mercedes 300 D, turbo diesel. It has almost 300k, on the odo, a tree fell on it, and the rear arches are rusting out. However, there is no structural rust, it runs like a top, and I can now cross it off the list of dream cars.

That's a really big car.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I thought it was going to be bigger than it actually is. Its still smaller than my roommates legacy, which surprised me. It does drive like a boat though. I think its the slowest car I have ever owned, I love it.

I bought it and had to leave town directly afterwards, so naturally I stayed awake all night thinking about tinkering with it instead of actually tinkering like I wanted to.

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
After some loving around with transfer of ownership paperwork I am now officially the owner of this '96 XH Falcon ute. Finally I have a car I can fit in without wearing a stretchmark in the roof lining. The tint is waaaaay too dark and the wheels will be going eventually but other than that I'm pretty chuffed.

Lurch fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 10, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wow, that ute is so tidy for its age. The previous owner must have babied that thing

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
:dance:I know, especially since it's got 490k on the chassis and used to belong to a semi-retired bushie concreter. The only thing out of place on the whole car is a little rust patch down low in front of the rear left wheel, doesn't look too deep so I'm gonna have a go at fixing it over the holidays.

Lurch fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 8, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What's that pole on the front brush guard?

Lurch
Mar 5, 2010

by Lowtax
UHF antenna, not hooked up to anything right now.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
I didn't realize this was a thread, there are some beautiful whips in here.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

NovaLion posted:

:stare::fh:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Those headlamps are just awful.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bovril Delight posted:

Those headlamps are just awful.

Black out the headlights and polish the externally visible intercooler piping. :what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

NovaLion posted:

I would be in love with this if you didn't tint the headlamps and instead hid the intercooler piping behind a grill or something.