Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shindragon posted:

We either got Scarecrow or Hush. Both left pretty cool cliffhangers. I will admit I sort of want Hush considering how much of a threat he can to attack Batman personally considering he's actually targeting Bruce Wayne so at least that would feel that the game would go out of Arkham Island for once. The one thing I liked about AA is how they introduced enemies that people weren't familiar with and gave you a little bio and introduction to what they do. I thought that would be a stepping point in introducing more obscure characters in the game.

I mean yeah technically we did get introduced to FireFly in this game but there is still more they can do.

Another sad part about Black Mask is that he was Hush before Hush was. He hates Bruce Wayne and they knew each other since they were kids. He also hated and killed his parent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Maybe have Prometheus show up, and be a bossruss kinda situation, where he has different stages based off previous bosses?

Clock King? How could they do justice with him?

Maybe even bring in Lex Luthor? The Brewery in A:O is one of his holdings in the comics, and deathstroke isn't traditionally a batman villain either.

EDIT: Hell, since they have Deadshot, bring in fricking Catman!

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
It looks like a new patch just went up.

WB Support posted:

Patch 7 now live. This Patch fixes the following:

Fixed Bane not spawning in prison
Fix elevator that won’t move when generator is charged in GothamBridge
Fix for getting stuck outside of GCPD shooting range
Fix Jezebel Plaza Objective never clearing away after interrogating Santa Hat Thug

I'm starting to get a little more confident that I'll actually be able to play through this without running into a game-breaking bug.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

THE CHORSE posted:

It looks like a new patch just went up.

I'm starting to get a little more confident that I'll actually be able to play through this without running into a game-breaking bug.

But Burnley Tower is still hosed? I am getting none of these patches through Steam, and its not my firewall. Is there anywhere else to get them? I'm on PC

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
No the Tower is fixed. That was one of the first patches from them. Unless in yours it's still hosed

edit: Are you making sure that getting all updates is ticked in properties?

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Burnley Tower was patched more than a week ago. Steam automatically updates legitimately owned games.

Shindragon posted:

edit: Are you making sure that getting all updates is ticked in properties?

Steam automatically applies the latest updates to a game when you try to start it. You can choose whether to have Steam automatically patch games before you try to start them up, but Steam will always make sure that you are playing the latest version of the game when you try to start it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Jerusalem posted:

I really liked the Joker story in City, but just like in Origins, it overshadows too much of the rest of the game.

It's odd, I keep hearing people say this, but I never got this feeling at all (in City, don't have Origins yet). The Joker plot always felt like a B-Plot that happened to end after the main plot. It had some ties to the main plot, yes, but Strange and Ra's were the real villains.

And shield guys. I've been playing the challenge maps as Robin and they keep on getting the shield just as I'm about to hit them and it ruins my combo. Stun baton guys are more difficult, but shield guys are more annoying.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Shindragon posted:

We either got Scarecrow or Hush. Both left pretty cool cliffhangers. I will admit I sort of want Hush considering how much of a threat he can to attack Batman personally considering he's actually targeting Bruce Wayne so at least that would feel that the game would go out of Arkham Island for once. The one thing I liked about AA is how they introduced enemies that people weren't familiar with and gave you a little bio and introduction to what they do. I thought that would be a stepping point in introducing more obscure characters in the game.

I mean yeah technically we did get introduced to FireFly in this game but there is still more they can do.

I'm not gonna be happy until they cash in on the Ratcatcher reference in Asylum.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Deleuzionist posted:

Yup, try playing both games with them off. I've got about 200h clocked in AC and only hate it for the fact that I can't reset new game+ saves so I could play without counter icons all the time. Compared to my experience with AC the camera issues (and insufficient dissimilarity of appearance of different enemy types) in AO ng+ really pop out.

Am I remembering things wrong or could you change the difficulty for New Game+ in Arkham City? My first playthrough of Origins was at Normal Difficulty, because that's what I always do for the first runthrough of a game, but I wasn't able to up the difficulty in New Game+ so that save is still listed as normal. I don't think there are any achievements associated with completing the game on Hard mode this time around, so maybe it doesn't matter, or New Game+ and I Am The Night are considered to be steps up in difficulty beyond Hard Mode anyway? But I'm sure I was able to do it in Arkham City, am I just remembering wrong?

Commissar Ken posted:

I'm not gonna be happy until they cash in on the Ratcatcher reference in Asylum.

Hey, Firefly was referenced in Asylum and here he is in Origins, so don't rule anything out!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I think that's another small thing that bothers me about this game. In the first two, there were little hidden objects to find and "photograph" everywhere, and each and every one would be linked to a paragraph or two of back story and Bat-history. It featured characters that didn't appear in the game. AA had stuff for Mr Freeze and Two-Face, among others.

And it appears that the objects are all there in this one. Plenty of things to scan. Penguin's family portrait, several movie posters, there's a Queen Industries shipping crate somewhere. It's almost like they were going to have them, and then they got pulled at the last minute.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
If the camera is zoomed in too far for you, try changing the FOV.
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Batman:_Arkham_Origins#Field_of_view_.28FOV.29
I used a keybind to change the FOV to 90 and it looked pretty good, although some parts had a little too much fisheye distortion for me. The same fix worked in Asylum and City but I had the same problem with it, so I'm still not entirely sure I want it changed. That actually works out, though, because the keybind solution isn't permanent and sometimes reverts after cutscenes. The bottom solution with like 20 lines of .ini editing looks more permanent.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Hey, Firefly was referenced in Asylum and here he is in Origins, so don't rule anything out!

Wasn't there a Killer Moth entry too? Next game needs to have them both. Hell i'd love if they'd take a semi note from Brave and the Bold and just kinda throw a whole bunch of schmuck villains at Batman. Just do a Mad Hatter or Scarecrow situation where he's fighting in a dreamland and it's really just a bunch of thugs but to him it's like Kite man and Ratcatcher and Condiment King.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What glue-sniffing rear end in a top hat thought this Deathstroke fight was a good idea? Especially this early into the game?

"Hey guys, I got a neato idea for a battle with Slade! Make the Counter prompt appear with a huge window, but no matter when you press it you get hit! Isn't that an awesome idea for a fight gimmick?!"

Well no, it's frustrating bullshit that'll cause you to game over at least once while you try figuring out what the gently caress you're doing wrong. But hey, throw it in anyway, right?

Alright, when is it loving safe to punch him? "Hey, let's make it so that, seemingly at random, you get unavoidably counterattacked when you punch him!" Yeah, great idea. Thanks.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 6, 2013

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ChibiSoma posted:

What glue-sniffing rear end in a top hat thought this Deathstroke fight was a good idea? Especially this early into the game?

"Hey guys, I got a neato idea for a battle with Slade! Make the Counter prompt appear with a huge window, but no matter when you press it you get hit! Isn't that an awesome idea for a fight gimmick?!"

Well no, it's frustrating bullshit that'll cause you to game over at least once while you try figuring out what the gently caress you're doing wrong. But hey, throw it in anyway, right?

It frustrated you because you lost once? I mean yea the whole point of that fight is that you have to figure out his attack patterns and learn when and when not to strike back. There is a high chance you will lose the first time, but I really don't see a problem with that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, the whole point is to learn that you can't just mash X and Y to get through fights. Once you figure out the timing/animations and Deathstroke's tells (just like Batman would have to) the fight is actually pretty drat easy, and it gives you a real sense of accomplishment to counter every move he makes and beat him down to the point that he is reduced to the level of all those other thugs out there*, moaning,"What are you!?! :gonk:"

* Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, the whole point is to learn that you can't just mash X and Y to get through fights. Once you figure out the timing/animations and Deathstroke's tells (just like Batman would have to) the fight is actually pretty drat easy, and it gives you a real sense of accomplishment to counter every move he makes and beat him down to the point that he is reduced to the level of all those other thugs out there*, moaning,"What are you!?! :gonk:"

* Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot!

As an aside, where exactly is that quote from? I know for me personally I heard it first watching an episode of Justice League where Batman is sent an alternate universe where his double is a resistance fighter. He tries to warn Batman about going out to fight crime because "this isn't the world you know" or something like that. Batman's response? "Are criminals still superstitious and cowardly?".

I assume it's quote from the comics originally though. Or possibly something older, not sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

Alright, when is it loving safe to punch him? "Hey, let's make it so that, seemingly at random, you get unavoidably counterattacked when you punch him!" Yeah, great idea. Thanks.

It isn't random. You just can't mash counter. The Martial Artist enemies function the exact same way. They had a delay before you can actually counter them. Also you're pretty obviously not using the Batclaw or other gadgets and then wondering why you lose.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

They gave me a pop-up tip that is "Counter when the blow lands. Don't be too early". Also, best time to punch him is after a batclaw, successful counter, or something else.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Expect if you notice that when the fight slows down during the animation, that's the way game of saying COUNTER here.

Also yeah Batman's quote is from comics. In fact in Arkham Asylum: A serious house on Earth, he says it. Not directly but it's pretty much the same thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shindragon posted:

Also yeah Batman's quote is from comics. In fact in Arkham Asylum: A serious house on Earth, he says it. Not directly but it's pretty much the same thing.

99% of my DC comics knowledge comes from the animated series, but its really cool that Bruce Timm and Paul Dini and Dwayne McDuffie and others helped me out by making those shows filled with references and storylines ripped right from the comics.

R.I.P. Mr. McDuffie.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

As an aside, where exactly is that quote from? I know for me personally I heard it first watching an episode of Justice League where Batman is sent an alternate universe where his double is a resistance fighter. He tries to warn Batman about going out to fight crime because "this isn't the world you know" or something like that. Batman's response? "Are criminals still superstitious and cowardly?".

I assume it's quote from the comics originally though. Or possibly something older, not sure.
Detective Comics #33 (1939).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 6, 2013

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

There's a variation of it in the Nolan film Batman Begins. When Bats takes out the entire Falcone thug contingent at the docks Falcone himself is struggling to load his shotgun and he just blurts out "What the hell are you?!" before our hero pulls him out and tells him "I'm BATMAN."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Scyantific posted:

There's a variation of it in the Nolan film Batman Begins. When Bats takes out the entire Falcone thug contingent at the docks Falcone himself is struggling to load his shotgun and he just blurts out "What the hell are you?!" before our hero pulls him out and tells him "I'm BATMAN."

Also Keaton in his first scene. Seems to be a thing for a new Batman to have a scene where he gets to say "I'm Batman" Although in Keaton's version I think the guy says "Who the hell are you", which isn't as cool.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The only way I got through the Deathstroke fight was by repeatedly using Batclaw Slam, then maybe punching him once or twice afterwards but not too often or he'd do his uninterruptible counter attack because...I have no idea, really, as the game didn't bother giving any worthwhile feedback whatsoever. None of the boss fights in Origins were particularly amazing (though I haven't beaten it so maybe the super final end–of–game boss would surprise me? :allears:), but that one definitely was among the series' low points as far as I'm concerned.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MMAgCh posted:

The only way I got through the Deathstroke fight was by repeatedly using Batclaw Slam, then maybe punching him once or twice afterwards but not too often or he'd do his uninterruptible counter attack because...I have no idea, really, as the game didn't bother giving any worthwhile feedback whatsoever. None of the boss fights in Origins were particularly amazing (though I haven't beaten it so maybe the super final end–of–game boss would surprise me? :allears:), but that one definitely was among the series' low points as far as I'm concerned.
That's exactly how I did it, too. Counter for a bit, Batclaw slam when it looked like I had time, maybe get an extra punch in, repeat until flashbomb.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 6, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Don't be scared of the counters, you get plenty of time and the game highlights pretty drat clearly when you should be countering - even without the counter-icons Deathstroke will slow right down at the point that it is time to counter his attacks. Also, if you keep your flow going, you can hit him with combo-takedowns that usually negate his attacks and let you smack him in the face with his own staff. Even if he manages to slip the odd counter through, he won't do near the amount of damage you're doing to him.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Basebf555 posted:

Also Keaton in his first scene. Seems to be a thing for a new Batman to have a scene where he gets to say "I'm Batman" Although in Keaton's version I think the guy says "Who the hell are you", which isn't as cool.

But Keaton owns and 1989 Batman was the best so it kind of evens out.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I've been having a bit of an easier time with the challenge maps since the patch. Don't know if that's an actual thing or if I'm just in a better zone.

I did a recording. I also read fanfiction over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qWLfQlw5PU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Basebf555 posted:

Although in Keaton's version I think the guy says "Who the hell are you", which isn't as cool.

"WHAT ARE YOU?"

"I'm Batman"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FhrYcgcpBE

Skip to 1:50.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

DrNutt posted:

But Keaton owns and 1989 Batman was the best so it kind of evens out.

This is a terrible way of spelling Mask of the Phantasm.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MrJacobs posted:

I got the joke but the more I watch (and especially hear) Keaton, the more I dislike Bale. I know this thread isn't about the films so I'll end it here before another Batman thread gets de-railed for dumb semantic reasons. To tie my post into the game, I find the voice acting to be really rather good so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrJacobs posted:

I think probably my favorite Joker moment ever is in that film :allears:

The Phantasm has caught him and is about to kill him, Batman is there pleading for sanity, suddenly there's a HUGE explosion in the amusement park and Joker just gapes in astonishment in silence for a few seconds.... and then just bursts out laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing before he and the Phantasm disappear into the mist. I'll always remember that visual of the Joker barely able to stand, held up by the Phantasm with his head thrown back essentially screaming with laughter.

That plus the amazing opening theme music and the scene where the GCPD hunt down Batman... God, what a movie.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kilson posted:

By reboot, what exactly do you mean? I tried restarting from last checkpoint, it just put me right back in the same place. Nobody in the room, can't continue encounter.

Sorry! I meant turning off the system, then going back in. But I'm assuming that you've tried that by now... have you tried leaving the bank via the ceiling that you came in from?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The Phantasm has caught him and is about to kill him, Batman is there pleading for sanity, suddenly there's a HUGE explosion in the amusement park and Joker just gapes in astonishment in silence for a few seconds.... and then just bursts out laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing before he and the Phantasm disappear into the mist. I'll always remember that visual of the Joker barely able to stand, held up by the Phantasm with his head thrown back essentially screaming with laughter.

That plus the amazing opening theme music and the scene where the GCPD hunt down Batman... God, what a movie.

That was a great soundbite but there is one scene that forever sold me that Mark Hamill is the best Joker ever on film and that was when he first meets Sal Valestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVy9DFwT-4o

"a nice big SMILE!"

I love how he makes you laugh at the absurdity of the situation, before implying just how nasty he can be, despite it only really being shown once in the actual movie.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

alf_pogs posted:

Sorry! I meant turning off the system, then going back in. But I'm assuming that you've tried that by now... have you tried leaving the bank via the ceiling that you came in from?

Yeah, that was the first thing I did, and maybe that's what screwed me, because it saved. I probably could've restarted the checkpoint if I'd just done it first :negative:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

To allay fears of Joker overload, I found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itff-0UF8sY

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

The GCPD chasing down Batman was amazing. Plus the scene where Batman and Joker are in the model of the city and right before they start smashing each others faces in with buildings they show that side shot of them both. Loved it. Plus, the best Joker lines.

"Hello? Hello operator? I believe my party has been... disssconnected."

"There's a new face in Gotham and soon his name will be all over town... to say nothing of his legs and feet and spleen and HEAD *BOOM*"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

You know, I really wish they brought back David Warner to voice Ra's al Ghul.

Alternatively, brought on Liam Neeson. He has done videogame work before afterall.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, you guys weren't kidding about these credits. Any good sites/wikis for hunting down ridler packs? I have a few left I want to grab before moving to new game+

EDIT: \/\/\/\/Thanks, got them all now.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Soonmot posted:

Holy poo poo, you guys weren't kidding about these credits. Any good sites/wikis for hunting down ridler packs? I have a few left I want to grab before moving to new game+

http://www.gamesradar.com/batman-arkham-origins-enigma-data-pack-locations-guide/

• Locked thread